Who starts next week: Taylor or Peterman?

SDS

Which QB starts in week 11?  

390 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB starts in week 11?

• Nate Peterman
    • Tyrod Taylor

This poll is closed to new votes

I voted Tyrod, merely because the playoffs - while on life support - are still there in the background and I think McD caught of a sniff of them and wants them (as he should) and right now, it appears Tyrod does that best for them. 

Giving Peterman the starts the rest of the way helps them evaluate more fully what they do or don't have in him - and yes, Sunday was bad in an epic way - but given the record, I don't see it.

I say start Peterman. That game was actually one of the most entertaining games I've watched in a while. Entertaining for all the wrong reasons but still entertaining. Kind of like Donald Trump, I Hate Everything I see but still can't look away. I was actually laughing in disbelief. But of course I'm being sarcastic, Taylor should start.

14 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

They aren't going to just keep putting Tyrod on the bench and then ask him to come in to save Nates embarrassment. 

I don't think there is any chance Peterman starts again. 

I guess we will see the season is over they mind as well keep trotting the rookie out there and see if he can work threw it. 

Tyrod is still Tyrod, and from what he's shown over 3 season, will ALWAYS BE Tyrod.

I'm sticking with Peterman for the rest of the year. Either the kid shows some development and we dont have to trade away half our picks in a desperate move to get a QB, or he tanks and we end up moving higher up in the draft and get a better chance at a top QB.

The 2017 season is done, time to move onto the draft. Ride or Die with Peterman.

I thought a lot about it. I think some fans including myself got thinking maybe the grass is greener on the other side. To be honest the entire offence with Taylor at the wheel has had some stalled games this year and last. They also had some impressive and exciting games. It seemed like most games fell in the middle or slightly below an average. 

Not everyone needed the Nathan Peterman experiment. I did need it. I don't regret it. I would do it again the exact same way. At this point I would not try it again. Not because Nate threw 5 interceptions. I didn't see Nate flash himself as a player. Forget any negative and try to see a positive. I was not able to myself maybe others did. 

The experiment lead me to a conclusion. I like Tyrod Taylor. I like him a lot. The guy has been loyal, took a pay cut for my team and maybe not lived up to everyones standards but he was doing the best to win with the talent we have and the plays we run. I turned my back on Tyrod and I was very wrong.

Now I'm left with the hard truth. It's more then just a QB. Call it lack of talent or bad execution. Call it bad coaching or horrible management. I don't know what caused such a hard fall after the Jets game but something is seriously wrong. Thanks for the wins though I enjoyed them.

Well how I feel now you absolutely put Taylor back in. Not only that but you keep next year and build around Taylor and Shady with every draft pick you got. I understand if people disagree.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

On to KC with Tyrod at QB.

You were wrong bro. It's ok.??

Nice try BRO
blob.thumb.png.6c9ec021cbac9f8f7e12b6db2ce7c3e6.png

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I voted Tyrod, merely because the playoffs - while on life support - are still there in the background and I think McD caught of a sniff of them and wants them (as he should) and right now, it appears Tyrod does that best for them. 

Giving Peterman the starts the rest of the way helps them evaluate more fully what they do or don't have in him - and yes, Sunday was bad in an epic way - but given the record, I don't see it.

the playoffs ended with the JETS game. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

i would also ask if Taylor starts, when should he get pulled? 

If he has no picks, but less than 5 first downs and 3 points and the Bills are down 20, time to yank him?

What is the criteria there?

sounds like a good time for me.  :D

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I didn’t wanna be right at. I sat there and waited with anticipation to watch and see if the rookie had it. 

But it it was an awful move. I said so before hand. I got burned for it on here. 

Then you and others come in here and try to spread out the blame when that was NEVER the case for Taylor. Be consistent dude. The only consistent thing is the double standards. 

yeah OK  sure,  I believe that.  

37 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

In hindsight, the season was D.O.A. after the Jets game.  Play Peterman - the kid has to get off the mat.  I think he will as it can only get better for him, right?

beat me to it

4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I thought a lot about it. I think some fans including myself got thinking maybe the grass is greener on the other side. To be honest the entire offence with Taylor at the wheel has had some stalled games this year and last. They also had some impressive and exciting games. It seemed like most games fell in the middle or slightly below an average. 

Not everyone needed the Nathan Peterman experiment. I did need it. I don't regret it. I would do it again the exact same way. At this point I would not try it again. Not because Nate threw 5 interceptions. I didn't see Nate flash himself as a player. Forget any negative and try to see a positive. I was not able to myself maybe others did. 

The experiment lead me to a conclusion. I like Tyrod Taylor. I like him a lot. The guy has been loyal, took a pay cut for my team and maybe not lived up to everyones standards but he was doing the best to win with the talent we have and the plays we run. I turned my back on Tyrod and I was very wrong.

Now I'm left with the hard truth. It's more then just a QB. Call it lack of talent or bad execution. Call it bad coaching or horrible management. I don't know what caused such a hard fall after the Jets game but something is seriously wrong. Thanks for the wins though I enjoyed them.

Well how I feel now you absolutely put Taylor back in. Not only that but you keep next year and build around Taylor and Shady with every draft pick you got. I understand if people disagree.

Bit of a masochist, aren't you, if you'd do it again the exact same way?  Never mind, you aren't the first fan to succumb to BQS (Backup Quarterback Syndrome), thinking that better QBing is sitting on the bench.

QB who succeed as rookies typically have three characteristics:

1) They had that "it" factor in training camp and preseason.  they didn't just make occasional flashes, they impressed.  Think Russ Wilson. 

2) The OC game plans to make it easy for them.  He simplifies. 

3) They have a stout OL and a successful run game to lean on

Peterman was 0 for 3 on these things.  Yes he stunk up the joint, but he also didn't get help from his game plan, OL, or run game

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Nice try BRO
blob.thumb.png.6c9ec021cbac9f8f7e12b6db2ce7c3e6.png

the playoffs ended with the JETS game. 

sounds like a good time for me.  :D

And I'm sure we all know this, effectively....but statistically, they're still "in the hunt", so based on semantics alone was more my statement. But, I can't disagree with your overall idea.

Just now, BigBuff423 said:

And I'm sure we all know this, effectively....but statistically, they're still "in the hunt", so based on semantics alone was more my statement. But, I can't disagree with your overall idea.

They are 1/2 game out as they are tied with Baltimore.  The AFC is pretty weak, well so is most of the NFL because of the plethora of meh QB's.  

McDermott has decided to wait on making that call until he can give Sunday’s game film a full review.

“I’m going to evaluate,” he said. “I’m going to take my time and evaluate.”

A one half game disaster is not enough to come to a complete and confident evaluation.  

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

They are 1/2 game out as they are tied with Baltimore.  The AFC is pretty weak, well so is most of the NFL because of the plethora of meh QB's.  

McDermott has decided to wait on making that call until he can give Sunday’s game film a full review.

A one half game disaster is not enough to come to a complete and confident evaluation.  

I was referring to your reply to me that the playoffs were out of reach at the end of the JETS game....if we're talking Peterman, I don't what's there...I do think if the Bills want to make the playoffs this year, they're probably better with Tyrod, even though I am really not a Tyrod fan at all! I've wanted a different QB since mid-way through his first year in Buffalo, but given the fiasco that was Peterman and the abysmal Offensive line, I suppose Tyrod is better suited for that mess....

52 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I guess we will see the season is over they mind as well keep trotting the rookie out there and see if he can work threw it. 

I think that both sides of the argument make good points. My opinion is they should start Tyrod. 

To me it all depends on what the staff's mindset is. If it's to win as many games as possible they should start Tyrod. If their goal is to basically forget about this season and just evaluate players than start the rookie.

Either way they should make up their minds and not play QB carousel. If they start the kid and he throws 10 interceptions then too bad stick with him anyways because that's the decision they made. 

42 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I was trying to refrain from comment, because truth be told, I do NOT have the heart for a stats research project right now, and I don't like to blow off my opinion without facts to back it up.  But I have to throw this out

Not just you, Maj Bobby, but to everyone who has this opinion "might as well":  winning and losing, are both to some degree habits.  When your team gets behind, do you rev it up or give it up?  Do you put your body on the line with a whole heart, or do you phone it in and save yourself?

I believe that outcomes would show that "bad for Bradford" "suck for Luck" and similar tank campaigns, are rarely successful in building a championship team, because while the team may succeed in getting that cherished 1st round pick, they succeed in building a losing culture in the rest of the team at the same time.

The teams that look on-track to be strong this year, are not necessarily the teams that sucked and drafted high last year or the year before.  They're the teams that were "meh" and brought in the right coach/GM, identified the pieces they needed, and went for them.  Philly would be a good example - 7-9 in 2015, changed coach, changed GM, went all-in after a QB, 7-9 last year but showed flashes, looking good so far this year.  LA Rams might be another - at 4-12 they weren't bad enough to draft high, but traded up for Goff, and also put in what may be the right pieces at HC, OC and DC

I'm trying to think of an example of a team that totally sucked, drafted a QB #1, and totes turned it around in 1-2 years after tanking.  Anyone?

24 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

yeah OK  sure,  I believe that.  

beat me to it

right. becuz I wanted to see them lose..... you're a freaking lost cause dude. I've stated repeatedly i'm not tied to taylor. I wanted a freaking qb drafted at 10 last year and wanted one early in 18 regardless of if taylor was solid or not.

it was a horrible move. I stated my case for that all week and got flamed by you and others that used small sample sizes of taylor to form your arugments. all claiming that anyone that didn't like the move obviously hadn't been watching. just becuz I  wasn't in favor of the benching doesn't mean I wanted to see a loss.... that's ridiculous. I even came on here and posted a fun video of the "it takes 2" parody for Peterman. i'm always all in on the starter for this team. if Peterman goes this week i'll root for him to win yet again while totally disagreeing with the move becuz its the wrong one..... you cant seem to grasp that concept. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Well, I've seen enough. The kid is a disaster 

Mike McCoy is a friend of McDermott and was his #1 choice for OC

He is available. Dennison has made every aspect of the offense worse, and has shown that he is stubborn and inflexible, as he hastened the end for Manning by forcing him to play under center and "play the offense" after he set records the years before under McCoy and Gase

Maybe that's part of it.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Goes to show this team is a bigger mess than most everyone either realized or wanted to admit.

The defense overachieved and came back down to what their talent level really is - not good. Lawson is not a pass rusher, Kyle is old; Dareus didn't care (his replacements blow); Hughes is Hughes; Lorax, Humber & Brown not great LBs; DBs - Hyde, White, Gaines & Poyer are good, and the rest are trash. 

The offense is what it always has been - terrible OL: Glenn when healthy is good, Richie is good but aging, Wood is serviceable but aging, the right side has been a disaster forever; RBs after Shady horrendous he is aging as well; TE Clay cannot stay healthy, backups aren't great - QB & WRs get their own section

QB - TT keeps plays alive because of his ability to duck, dodge, spin and wiggle free - we all see it way too many times each game, it is both an indictment of him missing open WRs and not throwing WRs open and the awful OL. It isn't sustainable. It's also an indictment of awful game planning. Peterman is a rookie playing behind an awful OL against a team with Ingram and Bosa, of course they were going to blitz and force him into errors. Especially with an unhealthy & thin WR corp and a game plan that didn't give him any free outlets to cool the pass rush. No Matthews, Benjamin going out quickly did not help Nate either. In any event, neither of them a starter material who will get you to the promised land. 

This team is devoid of talent and needs to be gutted. From the beginning this was a year to tear it down and that is what we have done with every move. The FO & McD have tried to make it less painful by keeping some players and jettisoning others. To dump everyone would have pissed off the fan base too much imo and that is why it wasn't geared towards getting rid of everyone, plus you still actually have to put players on the field. Best way to get better is clear cap space and accumulate picks which is what we have done. Expect to see more players let go this offseason for more picks in 2019. . This team has had a bad roster for a long time, with players begin drafted and signed to patchwork a team together under ever-changing schemes and coaches. This year honestly should be about eradicating the stench and starting the rebuild...

From a production standpoint, neither playing Peterman nor Tyrod (assuming Dennison's undiluted WCO) is a good option going forward. And with the D performing at the level that it has recently (and I don't see it improving, this is what they are) what either guy is able to accomplish isn't going to make a difference as to the result. 

Playing Peterman gives you a better idea of whether he can develop (I know many have already made up their minds). Playing Tyrod is better for Coach's standing in the lockerroom and is an effective hedge against the possibility of further embarassment via total implosion. 

Flip a coin. 

I think I would stick with the vet. McD is a rookie himself who has to earn the respect of the players before he gets a bad rep that could haunt him for some time to come. It takes a man to admit his mistake.  People can respond favourably to that. There will come a more convenient time to further evaluate Peterman. 

Edited by starrymessenger

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I was referring to your reply to me that the playoffs were out of reach at the end of the JETS game....if we're talking Peterman, I don't what's there...I do think if the Bills want to make the playoffs this year, they're probably better with Tyrod, even though I am really not a Tyrod fan at all! I've wanted a different QB since mid-way through his first year in Buffalo, but given the fiasco that was Peterman and the abysmal Offensive line, I suppose Tyrod is better suited for that mess....

They were.   I am sorry if you can't see what others do see.   

Who was the QB we faced under center for the JETS?  A career backup that outplayed Taylor.?   Taylor isn't the answer.  Why else do you think he got benched? 

I don't even know how this is a question...

Seriously, does anyone believe Peterman gives the Bills a better chance at winning Sunday in Arrowhead? Really believe that? 5-5, still "in the hunt" Owe it to the players in the room that got sold on "win now and the future". 

Tyrod Haters are like the Rico's and Rex's of the world, believe their is one way to play the game, their way. Only thing they know. If the QB doesn't play they way they believe the QB position should be played, they hate him. Tyrod has his warts for sure, but he's also proven to be capable of winning games, not losing games and directing a top-10 offense. 

Stop trying to fit his round peg into your square closed mind. See the uniqueness of this talent and abilities. We should be building around his strengths, focusing on them, exact same as the OL needs to be running a scheme that fits their strength and down the line. Why Tyrod needs to fit a bad scheme for him because you haters feel that's the only way to play the position is mind boggling.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Goes to show this team is a bigger mess than most everyone either realized or wanted to admit.

The defense overachieved and came back down to what their talent level really is - not good. Lawson is not a pass rusher, Kyle is old; Dareus didn't care (his replacements blow); Hughes is Hughes; Lorax, Humber & Brown not great LBs; DBs - Hyde, White, Gaines & Poyer are good, and the rest are trash. 

The offense is what it always has been - terrible OL: Glenn when healthy is good, Richie is good but aging, Wood is serviceable but aging, the right side has been a disaster forever; RBs after Shady horrendous he is aging as well; TE Clay cannot stay healthy, backups aren't great - QB & WRs get their own section

QB - TT keeps plays alive because of his ability to duck, dodge, spin and wiggle free - we all see it way too many times each game, it is both an indictment of him missing open WRs and not throwing WRs open and the awful OL. It isn't sustainable. It's also an indictment of awful game planning. Peterman is a rookie playing behind an awful OL against a team with Ingram and Bosa, of course they were going to blitz and force him into errors. Especially with an unhealthy & thin WR corp and a game plan that didn't give him any free outlets to cool the pass rush. No Matthews, Benjamin going out quickly did not help Nate either. In any event, neither of them a starter material who will get you to the promised land. 

This team is devoid of talent and needs to be gutted. From the beginning this was a year to tear it down and that is what we have done with every move. The FO & McD have tried to make it less painful by keeping some players and jettisoning others. To dump everyone would have pissed off the fan base too much imo and that is why it wasn't geared towards getting rid of everyone, plus you still actually have to put players on the field. Best way to get better is clear cap space and accumulate picks which is what we have done. Expect to see more players let go this offseason for more picks in 2019. . This team has had a bad roster for a long time, with players begin drafted and signed to patchwork a team together under ever-changing schemes and coaches. This year honestly should be about eradicating the stench and starting the rebuild...

I agree with this.

Prior to this season I thought the Bills had one of the worst rosters in the NFL. Somehow we over achieved the first 7 weeks, and since then we've looked like on of the 3-4 worst teams in the league which is what I expected all along.

This roster is a mess. Our OL is below average (why on Earth is Ducasse still on the field), we have zero talent at WR without Benjamin, we don't have a competent backup running back, and our defense is a complete dumpster fire. We can't stop the pass or the run, and we have no pass rush whatsoever. Lawson looks mediocre at best, Kyle looks washed up, we have no depth or upcoming talent at DT and our linebackers are all useless.

The Bills are one of the worst teams in the league right now. I'm not sure they'll win more than 1 or 2 of their remaining games. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree with this.

Prior to this season I thought the Bills had one of the worst rosters in the NFL. Somehow we over achieved the first 7 weeks, and since then we've looked like on of the 3-4 worst teams in the league which is what I expected all along.

This roster is a mess. Our OL is below average (why on Earth is Ducasse still on the field), we have zero talent at WR without Benjamin, we don't have a competent backup running back, and our defense is a complete dumpster fire. We can't stop the pass or the run, and we have no pass rush whatsoever. Lawson looks mediocre at best, Kyle looks washed up, we have no depth or upcoming talent at DT and our linebackers are all useless.

The Bills are one of the worst teams in the league right now. I'm not sure they'll win more than 1 or 2 of their remaining games. 

If it weren't for all those turnovers early on, I doubt we'd be feeling as bad as we do right now. 

Damn this team for getting our collective hopes up season after season.

5 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

It doesn't matter who starts next week, Kareem Hunt is going to run over this defense. That being said, I think McDermott starts Peterman.

Kareem Hunt possibly sets new NFL single game rushing record.

Should be a real pleasure witnessing that.  (sarcasm)

8 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

It doesn't matter who starts next week, Kareem Hunt is going to run over this defense. That being said, I think McDermott starts Peterman.

If he is playing on a short field all game because of turn overs, he has no chance of setting a record