Anybody thinking our wins look a little less impressive...

44 minutes ago, section122 said:

You are better than me :lol:.  Until the clock hits all zeros I have that pit in my stomach.  The Cowboys MNF game ruined me.  

Yeah that Cowboys game ranks right up there as one of the most painful losses in the franchise history.  The Bills truly snacked defeat from the jaws of victory in that one.

28 minutes ago, Albwan said:

The upside is most have probably got all the whining and anger out of their

system and are past the denial stage into acceptance after the jet debacle,

so the outcome of the saints game will be less morose, in a  few weeks we will be

comfortably steeped in draft talk.

Ughhhh.

I hope you are wrong. But history is on your side.

27 minutes ago, Albwan said:

The upside is most have probably got all the whining and anger out of their

system and are past the denial stage into acceptance after the jet debacle,

so the outcome of the saints game will be less morose, in a  few weeks we will be

comfortably steeped in draft talk.

Even worse. We'll be 5-4 and at our low point. Then we'll beat LAC and some interest will return. Then we'll beat KC and playoffs here we come. Then lose to NE twice, IND, and MIA once knocking us out.

Almost all teams every year go through huge emotional swings, good and bad streaks. 

If you swapped the two Jet games in the schedule the Bills would have looked to be terrible to start the season but would be one of the hottest teams in the league right now on a three game win streak and this thread wouldn't exist. 

BUT... 

They would be the same team they are now, good at home and quite average if not poor on the road. With average blocking and no pass rush, etc. And a 5-3 record. People would be predicting a better game against the Saints but the result would likely be the same either way. 

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

At the time, the wins over Denver, Atlanta, Oakland, and Tampa Bay looked like signature wins.  But those teams are not living up to expectations this season - none is above .500 right now.

With 6 of our final 8 games against teams currently .500 or better are we about to get gut-punched back to reality?

I'm trying to trust the process and not compare to past Bills teams, but it's tough...

I'm with you 100%.  You've captured my own worries.

I'm hoping, though, that the Bills are actually getting better as the players learn to execute the schemes of the new offensive and defensive coaching staff.  Theoretically, we're better now than when we beat what turned out to be weak Denver and Atlanta teams.  

But the NYJ games provides contrary evidence.  

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

some of this fan base is really jaded when you come out and say wins are not impressive and project failure for the remaining 8 games.

I know, I know...17 years

tenor.gif?itemid=4920633

I like McD and think Beane may turn out to be a good GM.

But after all those years of soured hopes, it's hard to be very optimistic.  

I try to take it one Sunday at a time.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

My expectations were pretty low for this season. I expected to rebuild on both sides of the ball toward the new scheme and standards and hopefully look relatively competitive and show signs of progress toward the future; that the team and org are on the right track. Record doesn’t really matter to me this year . I never thought the team would make the playoffs and I still don’t, but outside of the game on the short week they have showed up and competed hard or won the games and it’s to the point where looking at the rest of the conference, if they get a few breaks they might be a huge surprise playoff team. It’s crazy considering the perception of this team and where they were after the Sammy trade, etc. 

44 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

The Saints' wins look worse.

Not hardly and they are dominating teams as of late including the same terrible Bucs team we needed 3 TO's and luck to barely beat a few weeks ago.

Saints also have the #2 overall offense and #15 overall defense and their metrics are trending upwards each week whiles ours are steadily declining.

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Not hardly and they are dominating teams as of late including the same terrible Bucs team we needed 3 TO's and luck to barely beat a few weeks ago.

Saints also have the #2 overall offense and #15 overall defense and their metrics are trending upwards each week whiles ours are steadily declining.

Beating Chicago-TB-Lions & Miami are not overly impressive...they are all under 500.......than again you seem to think Miami is the greatest thing since slice cheese.....

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My expectations were pretty low for this season. I expected to rebuild on both sides of the ball toward the new scheme and standards and hopefully look relatively competitive and show signs of progress toward the future; that the team and org are on the right track. Record doesn’t really matter to me this year . I never thought the team would make the playoffs and I still don’t, but outside of the game on the short week they have showed up and competed hard or won the games and it’s to the point where looking at the rest of the conference, if they get a few breaks they might be a huge surprise playoff team. It’s crazy considering the perception of this team and where they were after the Sammy trade, etc. 

bingo

trust the process?

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

At the time, the wins over Denver, Atlanta, Oakland, and Tampa Bay looked like signature wins.  But those teams are not living up to expectations this season - none is above .500 right now.

With 6 of our final 8 games against teams currently .500 or better are we about to get gut-punched back to reality?

I'm trying to trust the process and not compare to past Bills teams, but it's tough...

The Patriots only beat teams worse than them.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

You only have to beat the team you face each week.

Strangely no Pats games have occurred, part of the NFL's little game of stacking division rivalries a few times each season, so that's two probable losses coming up (no disrespect intended)

They will show us a lot against the Saints.

They'll be coming home to protect the Dirt. They're coming off the worst and most uninspiring game of the year. If there was ever a game to prove your worth, this is it against a very good opponent. 

It's not Buffalo's fault the teams they beat have underachieved this season. Atlanta can't adjust to their new offensive scheme. Oakland seems like a bipolar team, one week they beat KC on a last second touchdown, the next week they get stomped by the Bills. Tampa Bay was a trendy pick to be a contender but I never really bought into them. I think Winston has some talent but I think he's been overhyped at this point and people banked on their skill players on offense to be big time contributors but so far they've fallen flat. The Jets are better than expected but I still think they were very much a "this is a team they should beat" kind of team. Panthers were hyped up to be a let-down this season yet they're right in the thick of things. The Bengals were looked at as a contender but they're also underachieving. It's been kind of an odd season so far. It seems like there's more parity than usual. 

I sincerely hope last Thursday was a fluke and was just the result of a tired team who didn't have the time to prepare like they normally do. They're getting healthier each week. Clay is close to returning and the addition of Benjamin is huge. That type of move isn't made if this team and its staff doesn't believe they can make a real push this season. Hopefully that acquisition has given them a jolt and hopefully they're PO'ed about the loss and come out firing on all cylinders. I do think this team is too well-coached and well-prepared to have a full-on meltdown like we've seen in past seasons. I do think their mentality is different than past teams. 

However the season turns out, I'm pretty confident that they have this thing on the right track. McD and Beane are 100% on the same page for how they want this team built. McDermott has very clear expectations for his players and overall it just feels like they have a very good plan going forward.

Edited by blacklabel
Spelling/grammar

3 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Wins are wins. Style points matter nada. So that being said you need 5 more of them to be sure of playoffs 

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm hoping, though, that the Bills are actually getting better as the players learn to execute the schemes of the new offensive and defensive coaching staff.  Theoretically, we're better now than when we beat what turned out to be weak Denver and Atlanta teams.  

That's the part I'm taking heart in - that we're improving with the new schemes, and that the playbooks will evolve as we master the basics.

Those wins still look pretty good. We are at par with some average teams. Atl, Oak, NY, and even Den may finish at or above .500. Essentially, we beat teams that are about as good as us. Car. looks better and Cinc looks just slightly worse. Now is the time we beat some truly good teams in NO, NE*, and KC. We win a couple of those, we can rise a bit above the pack. Incidentally, we can still lose all of those games and simply beat the average teams left on the schedule and still make the playoffs (SD, MIA, MIA, and INDY). 

Edited by leonbus23

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This sums up my feelings pretty well

The difference between winning and losing are slim. Last year, with REX RYAN at the helm, throw in a few challenges done, 11 men on the field in overtime, and some made field goals, and the Bills were in the Playoffs. This year the Pats got two gifts: one by the refs against the Jets and the other with the Bucs' kicker. Are they just lucky then? They could be 4-4!

It is very possible the Bills miss out again this year, BUT, I can't stand the attitude of conceding the Pats the 2 games before even playing them! Nor the defeatism. Bills have many lingering issues. They lack depth. Take away Shady and ouch. But reading some posts here, it's like the other teams have all great depth, their QBs never throw bad passes, their coaches are always perfect, they can all withstand the injury bug. Get real.

Last game was scary though. NOT the fumbles and such that can sometimes happen, but the fact the Jets basically conceded short outs and slant passes in the middle and put 5-6 guys on the line to stop the run and keep TT from running. It's easy to beat such a scheme in theory, but while I'm big Tyrod supporter, these short outs and over the middle short-medium passes have been his weaknesses so will the Saints and other teams do the 5-6 men front till the Bills show they can beat it? Thankfully they had 10 days to adjust but still...

I dont see other teams handing in tneir wins jus cuz they had a bad game and neither should we.

What thurs loss showed me is we dont have the talent on roster to overcome a lack of preperation time. This means we are headed in tbe right direction we jus need a few more pieces to the puzzle of a solid playoff team. 

How mcderm responds this weekend is gonna tell us what we need to know.

Its not really how you fall that matters, its how you get up and keep moving.

You beat the team in front of each week.  3 of the teams we beat were undefeated at the time.  What happened to them after their loss to us isnt fair to weigh in on the game we played.  Teams get hurt, go into slumps, etc.  

We are 5-3 with 6 winnable games left on our schedule.  @KC and @NE I think are probably safe to say losses, but the other 6, including Saints and Pats in Buffalo are all winnable.  The more concerning data for me is our defense...one of the best through 5 weeks, but since its been a significant drop.  If our D cant start to tighten up again, games like NO, KC, and both NE ones look a lot scarier.  Hopefully having a healthy unit now in our secondary can help right the ship, but Brees, Smith, and Brady will have a field day if we cant find some QB pressure out our front 7.  

The shine is off many of those wins as their quality was based on preseason prognostications. While the opening day win vs the Jets might look more impressive now, the fact the Bills were blown out just a few days ago by the same team takes that down a notch. Fans now have a pretty good idea of what teams are good or just middling. The second half schedule and current record means the Bills will probably have to beat a couple teams with good records to seal a playoff berth in 2017. 

9 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

My feelings of such are always mitigated by the fact that, in beating those teams, the Bills contribute to their underperformance themselves.  

Same reason I chuckle at the "it's unfair" arguments about New England always getting a weak schedule.  When you play six games against the same three doormat teams every season that you beat like a rented mule, your winning record is part of the reason you have weaker opponents.

No.  They are wins period.  I don't care what wins look like.  I only care about what the win/loss column looks like.  Right now that is 5-3.  I hope they win at least 5 more.  Don't care how they look doing that either.

Edited by Scott7975

9 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

You can look at a lot of teams that way. Take this week’s opponent New Orleans. Where are there quality wins? The Phins, Green Bay without Rodgers, the 4-4 Lions who beat a weak Green Bay team last night to get to .500. The list goes on a bad Chicago team or a Tampa team that’s 2-6. Hard to find a team with multiple quality wins. Bills will roll this week. Book It !!!!

44 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This is why we need to beat a good team that's playing well.  If we beat the Saints (6 wins in a row), I think we can say that really means something.

All of the Saints wins were against teams that are currently .500 or less.  So even if the Bills beat the Saints, some posters here will still not be impressed...