Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

So the same people complaining Dareus should be cut or traded are now the same ones complaining about getting a 6th rounder for him? We couldn't give him away before the season started, I thought it was a pretty solid move getting the cap space needed, I know Beane stated he isn't a big player in FA but it doesn't mean he can't be or at least now make a splash at WR/OL/DL etc.I just like the fact that he's undoing all of Whaley's mistakes, get the problem children out of the locker room, unfortunately I don't think Dareus will ever go back to form, if he doesn't play right away like a fire is lit under him after being traded to JAX then nothing will.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current Dead Contracts
YEAR DEAD CAP HIT
2017 Player contract $10,664,705
2018 Player contract $14,200,000
sorry if already posted , 43 pages , I thought the Bills would have dead cap in 2019 also for Dareus
Considering Texans had to give Browns a 2nd rd pick to take Brocks contract,
Edited by ALF

Honestly, just the fact that he is a test away from a major problem suspension, makes this a late pick. Add his salary, and we were lucky to get what we got. And his recent play.....

By all rights, surprised we got anything..... Should have ended up just bring cut.

I guess we have a different definition of lunch pail- I think LT was a superstar, lunch pail is used by buffalo fans to describe someone without much talent. Not sure you comprehended what I wrote.

Bill Parcells started using that nickname for his hardest working players and used to refer to players like TE mark Bravaro as one of his "lunch pail" guys. Bavaro was a 4th round pick that never caught more than 66 passes or more than 8 TDs in his 9 years in the NFL. Nothing flashy but considered one of the greatest blocking TEs ever.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/01/patriots_bill_belichick_ex-giants_tight_end_mark_b.html

This article explains what an NFL lunch pail / blue collar guy is.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1573958-the-anatomy-of-a-blue-collar-nfl-player

Watch the games and see what coverage he draws/defeats along with what decisions Goff is making. Then you tell me.

I've watched most of his games and he hasn't been impressive aside from o e game. I've watched him run routes and nothing stands out apart from his stunning lack of production. Yes, there have been times he has gotten open and he wasn't targeted but this happens almost on every single pass play for some WR, where they got open and didn't have the ball thrown to them. The bottom line is if you consistently get open, you'll get the ball. He hasn't been able to consistently get the ball for most of his career.

What did we get for him?

We unloaded about $33 million in cap savings over the next 3 1/2 years on a player that is one strike from being suspended for over half a season, a player that has severely underperformed and a player that doesn't fit the mold of what this organization is trying to do on and off the field.

Oh and they got a 5th or 6th rounder for him.

Edited by Magox

Does Antonio Brown draw coverage from opponents #1 CB? How about Mike Evans? How about Julio Jones? Odell Beckham? I mean seriously I could list receivers all day long on just about every team and they all get targets and catches.

Did Desean Jackson not get targets when McVay was the OC in Washington?

This is where all the decoy arguments fail. And fail they do

Addition by subtraction is the only optimistic way of looking at this deal because we didn't receive any thing of any real value for Dareus.

Uhh, yes we did. $33m in cap savings over the next 3 1/2 years. I'm not sure why many people are leaving this out.

Is he worth $33m over the next 3 1/2 years? That's the question everyone should be posing to themselves?

You're gonna lose this argument because 26cb is right. Goff isn't hitting him or throwing deeper stuff to him when he's open because its not his forte. To echo 26cb, watch the games. Watkins is getting speparation and not dropping passes.

When will his production finally speak for himself?

Jaguars acquired DT Marcell Dareus from the Bills for a conditional 2018 sixth-round pick.

It's another aggressive move from a post-Doug Whaley regime that's traded away Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, and Reggie Ragland. Dareus fell out of favor in coach Sean McDermott's scheme, starting just three games and playing only 34 percent of snaps. He wasn't living up to his contract, and clashed with the coaching staff over off-field and work ethic concerns. This is essentially a salary dump for Dareus, who was still one of the better tackles in the league last season. Dareus reunites with Doug Marrone in Jacksonville and upgrades a defensive line that's struggled against the run. The Jaguars will assume the final three years and $49-plus million of Dareus' deal.

That last line is what I love the most about this trade!

He just got rid of the highest risk player on the team, with the worst contract on the team. Who has greatly underperformed his contract. The fact we got a sixth shows how badly the Bills wanted to rid themselves from this player.

I love everything about this move and I bet the rest of the players in the locker room do to. Next season the Jags fans will realize how bad of a deal they got. He could possibly have one of the worst 3 contracts in all of football.

If this is right Im glad he's gone, tough to get a team to take on his issues and contract, hope he does well in Jax so we get a 5th. 2019-21 gets wiped out, better then paying it all with cutting him, plus we get a draft pick out of it even if it's just a 6th it's something.

This ends up more about dumping a player that, given his performance level the last two years and off the field issues, was not critical to their success and the most effective way to clear cap space in the future. The money they save this year (extra cap space in current year) can be rolled into next year's cap.

The other thing it could do, maybe if the Bills beat the Raiders and move to 5-2, is open the door to trade for a WR (use the Dareus '18 cap money) before Tuesday.

Being a GM is like playing chess, not checkers. Chess you have to think multiple moves ahead. People have to give Beane time to play chess.

Jaguars acquired DT Marcell Dareus from the Bills for a conditional 2018 sixth-round pick.

It's another aggressive move from a post-Doug Whaley regime that's traded away Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, and Reggie Ragland. Dareus fell out of favor in coach Sean McDermott's scheme, starting just three games and playing only 34 percent of snaps. He wasn't living up to his contract, and clashed with the coaching staff over off-field and work ethic concerns. This is essentially a salary dump for Dareus, who was still one of the better tackles in the league last season. Dareus reunites with Doug Marrone in Jacksonville and upgrades a defensive line that's struggled against the run. The Jaguars will assume the final three years and $49-plus million of Dareus' deal.

That last line is what I love the most about this trade!

If Im not mistaken, the Jags could cut him after this year, without having to pay out the rest of the deal or any cap consequences.

If Im not mistaken, the Jags could cut him after this year, without having to pay out the rest of the deal or any cap consequences.

Not Sure...I'm glad he is not our problem now and we save on the cap. We won't ever get out of the cycle of losing if stuff like this doesn't happen.

Next person that says Tom Brady was a sixth round pick I'm going to punch in the neck. There have been 500-600 6th round picks since then and 95% of them sucked. You want to bet on those odds?

Wasn't Ed Wang a 6th round pick? :w00t:

Will be interesting to see how this defense plays this week because if we do lose the Raiders as most expect and the defense is horrible again some critics will no doubt point the finger and Beane and McD for their eagerness to unload a player like Dareus.

As most expect? The Bills are a 3 point favorite

Yea, tell that to Chuck Knox. A man who took a team of nobodies and made them believe in themselves so much so that they made the playoffs.

Bill Parcells was another man who wanted "lunch pail" guys and didn't care for superstar type players. He won a Superbowl with the backup QB scrub starting.

I agree with your post, but credit those Parcells teams to Belichek. He was the genius behind that defense.

CAPACCIO: Trade of Dareus yet another sign new Bills' regime won't be swayed from plan

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/capaccio-trade-dareus-yet-another-sign-new-bills-regime-wont-be-swayed-plan

If there were any doubt, any whatsoever, that the new Bills' regime was going to stick to their plan, and not be swayed by what looks to be a more-promising-than-thought season, Friday night should put that notion to rest once and for all...

They have a plan for the future and theyre sticking to it no matter what. Dareus simply wasnt in those plans. And if theres one thing weve learned about these two men now running the show, if youre not in their plan for the future, they have no room for you in the present, either

If that's the conversation then it's a pretty moronic one. Sadly, that's par for the course around here lately. Every future late round pick is not Tanner Vallejo, that's a ridiculous notion. We can't quantify the negative effect Dareus has on the locker room with numbers so it becomes easy to dismiss. Apathy and laziness are contagious, and I think this sends a fantastic message to the locker room - "We don't care about your contract, go hard every day or you're getting shipped out."

What do you think the rest of the league was offering for him this offseason? Probably nothing or a 7th round conditional pick. This guy was one more missed meeting away from being outright cut.

The draft pick has next to nothing to do with the trade. The transaction was about excising a headache from the locker room, mitigating the risk dareus suffers a catastrophic injury this year that would prevent him from being cut in a timely fashion next year, and freeing even a minimal amount of cap space. Mission accomplished. With a lottery ticket to boot.

CAPACCIO: Trade of Dareus yet another sign new Bills' regime won't be swayed from plan

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/capaccio-trade-dareus-yet-another-sign-new-bills-regime-wont-be-swayed-plan

....hard to argue with.......by his own actions, Dareus made sure he was not to be a part of those plans......good riddance............

If that's the conversation then it's a pretty moronic one. Sadly, that's par for the course around here lately. Every future late round pick is not Tanner Vallejo, that's a ridiculous notion. We can't quantify the negative effect Dareus has on the locker room with numbers so it becomes easy to dismiss. Apathy and laziness are contagious, and I think this sends a fantastic message to the locker room - "We don't care about your contract, go hard every day or you're getting shipped out."

What do you think the rest of the league was offering for him this offseason? Probably nothing or a 7th round conditional pick. This guy was one more missed meeting away from being outright cut.

I listed a decades worth of 6th round picks earlier: Xavier Omon, Cary Harris, Danny Batten, Chris White, Mark Asper, Dustin Hopkins, Tony Steward, Nick OLeary, Kolby Listenbee, Kevon Seymour and the aforementioned Tanner Vallejo. This wasnt cherry picking a 6th round scrub. It was painting a harsh reality of the type of talent that is acquired in the 6th round.

I would rather put up with Dareus personality than Vallejo and $2M in space. He wouldnt have been on my roster in 2019 but he would have been through 2018. It was a cost/benefit issue imo. I dont for one second believe that Dareus was influencing/poisoning anyone in that locker room. He was a goofball by all accounts. Even if he was lazy and apathetic that wasnt rubbing off on anyone else. They should have tried to maximize his talent or gotten enough value back to warrant shipping him out. If that wasnt the case, which it wasnt, he should have been on the roster until that happened. You had an out after 2018.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I listed a decades worth of 6th round picks earlier: Xavier Omon, Cary Harris, Danny Batten, Chris White, Mark Asper, Dustin Hopkins, Tony Steward, Nick OLeary, Kolby Listenbee, Kevon Seymour and the aforementioned Tanner Vallejo. This wasnt cherry picking a 6th round scrub. It was painting a harsh reality of the type of talent that is acquired in the 6th round.

I would rather put up with Dareus personality than Vallejo and $2M in space. He wouldnt have been on my roster in 2019 but he would have been through 2018. It was a cost/benefit issue imo. I dont for one second believe that Dareus was influencing/poisoning anyone in that locker room. He was a goofball by all accounts. Even if he was lazy and apathetic that wasnt rubbing off on anyone else. They should have tried to maximize his talent or gotten enough value back to warrant shipping him out. If that wasnt the case, which it wasnt, he should have been on the roster until that happened. You had an out after 2018.

Successful teams (in all aspects of life and sport) are built around people buying in. One bad apple CAN spoil the bunch. And when that bad apple is the highest paid player on the team, you better bet it hurts morale.

@SalSports

Dareus' snap count this season (5 games played): 59% 26% 31% 33% 57%

I really like Dareus and the Bills will miss him. I support the new regime but I hope the others can get it done!

I'm surprised that the Bills were able to find a trade partner at all. The reason they only got a 6th is because every team in the NFL knew how badly the Bills wanted to unload Dareus and most were willing to wait for the Bills to cut Dareus in the off season when they could get him without his contract.

That Jacksonville was willing to trade for a player that the entire league knew was going to be cut after the season says that Marrone wanted Dareus pretty badly, too. My guess is that Dareus is going to flourish under Marrone and that the Jags' D is going to carry that team to the playoffs, possibly keeping the Bills from making the playoffs this year. They're 4-3 and tied for first in the AFC South despite problems on offense with Bortles poor play (although he's improved somewhat recently). The Jags' D is already formidable, earning the nickname "Sacksonville" early on:

• 6th in yards/game;
  • 2nd in points/game;
  • 1st in total sacks;
  • 2nd in INTs;
  • tied for 1st in forced fumbles;

Like the trades of Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch a few years ago as well as Sammy Watkins this preseason, it's likely this one is going to come back to bite the Bills in their arse simply because the Bills got so little in return ... and this time traded a player within their own conference.

The 2018 draft better be something special because the Bills are going to need to fill half their team with rookies next season.

Successful teams (in all aspects of life and sport) are built around people buying in. One bad apple CAN spoil the bunch. And when that bad apple is the highest paid player on the team, you better bet it hurts morale.

The Patriots won the AFC with Aaron Hernandez. Im not buying the one bad apple theory. The only way it holds true is if that player is a leader of the team. Bryant isnt ruining the Steelers either. They will just send him to the bench and move along. Hes a way worse character guy than Dareus. They are going to try to reel him back in and maximize his talent. They are doing that because the value that the Steelers will get at this point isnt enough to rid themselves of the talented headache.

Rodak: Bills Save $54 million in Cap Space by Dumping Marcell Dareus' Contract
The sixth-round pick the Bills got from the Jaguars might not seem like much compensation for Marcell Dareus, but the trade saved Buffalo $54 million.

Without Dareus, the Bills are expected to use a rotation of Adolphus Washington, Jerel Worthy and Cedric Thornton alongside longtime starter Kyle Williams at defensive tackle. Even with Dareus' limited contributions, the Bills' run defense ranks sixth in yards allowed per game (84.5) and fourth in opposing yards per carry (3.45).

"Obviously we wouldn’t have done [the trade] if we didn’t feel like we had depth at the D-tackle position," Beane said. "We kept five D-tackles [on the 53-man roster]. Those guys all had experience. They played the Denver game [in Week 3] when Marcell was injured. So we feel good about those guys going forward this year. So that’s why we felt compelled to go through with the move."

Rodak: Bills Save $54 million in Cap Space by Dumping Marcell Dareus' Contract

Without Dareus, the Bills are expected to use a rotation of Adolphus Washington, Jerel Worthy and Cedric Thornton alongside longtime starter Kyle Williams at defensive tackle. Even with Dareus' limited contributions, the Bills' run defense ranks sixth in yards allowed per game (84.5) and fourth in opposing yards per carry (3.45).

"Obviously we wouldnt have done [the trade] if we didnt feel like we had depth at the D-tackle position," Beane said. "We kept five D-tackles [on the 53-man roster]. Those guys all had experience. They played the Denver game [in Week 3] when Marcell was injured. So we feel good about those guys going forward this year. So thats why we felt compelled to go through with the move."

Clickbait

He wasnt ever going to be on the roster in 2019 so those savings were inevitable.

I agree. IMO, McDermott and his figurehead Beane are throwbacks to the Jauron years when Jauron and his figurehead Levy got rid of whatever talent the Bills had in order to replace them with JAGs and STers who "bought into their system". Watch it happen. We've already seen it happen with the WRs where talented WRs with NFL caliber skillsets were moved out to be replaced by other WRs with skillsets more in tune with McDermott/Beane's requirements ... whatever they might be. Dropping passes? Being unable to get open? Not being deep threats? Playing for cheap?

Edited by SoTier

I agree. IMO, McDermott and his figurehead Beane are throwbacks to the Jauron years when Jauron and his figurehead Levy got rid of whatever talent the Bills had in order to replace them with JAGs and STers who "bought into their system". Watch it happen. We've already seen it happen with the WRs where talented WRs with NFL caliber skillsets were moved out to be replaced by other WRs with skillsets more in tune with McDermott/Beane's requirements ... whatever they might be. Dropping passes? Being unable to get open? Not being deep threats? Playing for cheap?

.....now there's a REAL valid comparison.....Levy+Jauron versus McBeane+McD......sounds like fossil fuels versus solar........good Lord, as the world turns.............

We better hope to God that Dareus doesn't play well. If this sixth rounder turns into a fifth, we lose our shot at Tom Brady.

but ..... but ..... BUT ..... That would mean we could get a QB that is possibly one round BETTER than Tom Brady ..... wait a minute .... isn't that Peterman??????

Jaguars Acquire DT Marcell Dareus
Jaguars acquire DT Marcell Dareus from Buffalo Bills in exchange for sixth-round selection in 2018 NFL Draft; trade contingent on Dareus passing physical.

The Jaguars rank sixth in the NFL in total defense – second in pass defense and 31st in run defense. They have allowed just over 192 yards a game rushing in their three losses this season.

I really like Dareus and the Bills will miss him. I support the new regime but I hope the others can get it done!

Thats of course over simplified as you can scan most successful teams and find a share of guys that arent great at buying in.

The Seahawks at their peak had harvin and Tate and fights in the locker room - the giants had brandin Jacobs - the pats had a guy that was so bought in he was killing people on his off days.

That two guys noted to be among the strictest, and one a former coach of dareus, took this guy on should say to anyone watching that they think that dareus is a handful but that the right coaching can make a difference. We will see, and normally I hate that- but these guys know him well.