Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

I agree on trading Dareus. JUST NOT NOW

Should have been done before season (unlikey) or after season (less cap impact AND higher value)

Agree

I understand the logic, the process... but we are in a battle for playoff spot and this doesn't help our team. IMO.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much, but better than having a player you don't want taking up a roster spot and distracting the other players with all his issues.

Kyle Williams doesn't have to be a babysitter anymore. I bet he's happy.

Marcel just had no fire in his gut, he got by a few years on talent alone but its catching up with him.

He will never be the 2014 Marcel ever again. Id be surprised if he ever surpasses 5 sacks in a season ever again.

The Bills are 4-2 and Marcel has probably played 30% of the total snaps on defense. Paying him $15 mil a year aint worth it.

This is the same reason I prefer Matthews over Watkins, he has more fire in his gut!!! Drive, determination and that fire can overcome talent. Thats why you see 3 star college athletes out perform 5 stars athletes, most the time its because of work ethic, drive and the desire to give everything.

Im glad we are clearing room for hopefully more fire! Guys like Matthews, Kyle, TreWhite has it, McCoy has it. Guys like Sammy and Marcel are guys who rely on talent only.

John Wooden would never want guys like that!!!

Would you rather have Tanner Vallejo and $2M in cap space or Dareus? Thats what the conversation is.

You are looking at it in a vacuum and trying to frame the argument for others. You know as well as anybody that each move precedes the next and on..... You have also ignored the fact that years at the end of the contract are now gone and we have won't be paying ridiculous money to a DL. These guys have a plan and paying big money at DT to play 40% of the snaps isn't part of it at this point.

Ok. That's what I thought it was.

So in reality our claimed "savings" are simply that we aren't paying him. But we still have $10 million on the books this year for him. And $14 million on the books next year for him. Those don't go away because we traded him.

So its safe to say we are paying $10 million in 2017, and $14 million in 2018 for a player not on the team. The benefit of that is that we don't have to pay the rest of his salary, but the difference between the "dead cap" and his regular salary shouldn't be called "savings".

Its cap savings. If he was here our cap hit would be higher. We can now spend a modest bit more money on another player.

Its such a baseline lack of understanding that it might deserve going to a pm or explain the salary cap type of thread though

So far we have not paid Gilmore, not paid Gillislee, not paid Woods, traded Watkins before we had to pay him, traded Dareus, tried to trade Glenn, only brough Tyrod back at half price...I did think. Look at what has taken place. I dont care what type of money pegula has. Its a salary cap league and hes not making the roster decisions. These guys are going to fill a team with value c minus players and never overlay for guys. A lot of people like that. I just think the money ball movement is overblown and the teams with the good players usually win

You are looking at it in a vacuum and trying to frame the argument for others. You know as well as anybody that each move precedes the next and on..... You have also ignored the fact that years at the end of the contract are now gone and we have won't be paying ridiculous money to a DL. These guys have a plan and paying big money at DT to play 40% of the snaps isn't part of it at this point.

We would have paid that DT $16M (in cap space). Instead we are paying that DT $14M in cap space in 2018. We freed a total of $2.3M in space. The money isnt going away. Additionally we have a 6th round pick. I listed a decades worth of 6th round picks. The Bills has to get good value or bite the bullet and hold onto him through 2018 to minimize he dead money.

It's a wrecking crew, Campbell already has 10 sacks and Yannick has 6.5, if Dareus can't shine here then he is toast.

he can help their run D which is allowing like 5.2 YPC. Sacks would probably be icing for them.

Not All Pro by any stretch. But certainly competent, if not better than that, as a space eater. Someone who can play that role is not on this roster....

if all they need is a space eater they can bring back that deondre Coleman guy

If Drew Brees only got 33% of the Offensive snaps would he still be Drew Brees? It works both ways.

Because it only works that way on paper is the point. It doesn't necessarily work that way in real life.

Ok. That's what I thought it was.

So in reality our claimed "savings" are simply that we aren't paying him. But we still have $10 million on the books this year for him. And $14 million on the books next year for him. Those don't go away because we traded him.

So its safe to say we are paying $10 million in 2017, and $14 million in 2018 for a player not on the team. The benefit of that is that we don't have to pay the rest of his salary, but the difference between the "dead cap" and his regular salary shouldn't be called "savings".

Well pretty much. We have a cap hit less than what it would have cost us but without the player. You could also look at it that we are saving about 41 mil of his future contract for a player that may or may not play. May or may not play well during the time he might play.

he can help their run D which is allowing like 5.2 YPC. Sacks would probably be icing for them.

if all they need is a space eater they can bring back that deondre Coleman guy

That has to be the plan. Jackson gets after it too, let MD anchor the middle and the rest of them eat.

he can help their run D which is allowing like 5.2 YPC. Sacks would probably be icing for them.if all they need is a space eater they can bring back that deondre Coleman guy

And fans can gripe about production and effort and off the field stuff all they want, but other teams worry about Dareus and game plan for him and double team him all the time, and they are now going to be doing this against Jax..

@JasonLaCanfora

The pick the Bills receive for Dareus moves from a 6th to a 5th if the D tackle stays on roster all season and Jags reach the playoffs.

I sure as hell ain't rooting for Marrone.

And fans can gripe about production and effort and off the field stuff all they want, but other teams worry about Dareus and game plan for him and double team him all the time, and they are now going to be doing this against Jax..

No they don't.