Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you thinking this trade was about tit for tat - about receiving something of equal value for Dareus, are thinking about it all wrong.

It's about getting rid a of a gigantic, albatross of a contact off the books a lot sooner. Dareus is getting paid an absurd amount to be an unreliable, part-time player. Can he still be effective? Sure, why not? But I'd rather ship that contract off to Jax and free up the money we're going to need for the long run.

This team is doing all of the right things. It's incredibly disciplined and they are obviously thinking about the long-term.

To be so short-sighted and complain about the 6th round pick we got in return is just ignorant.

When he was running around drunk telling people he and Glenn were going to get traded his value went down even further...

Also, I'm not sure these trades are wise and hope McBeane is not Chip Kelly 2.0.

Edited by Paulus

The obvious next question is did doing stuff like sending him home from the preseason game help his value

Or was it a last ditch effort to get him to step in line? Shake him up to make him what he COULD be? But it certainly doesn’t help his value. If you get him “all in”, you get a real talent.

His point was that the marginal savings in cap vs keeping him til AFTER 2018 was minimal and then the dead hit would be much lower.

Essentially wed be getting the benefit of maybe he steps up without just having the downside of 90% of the same cap hit.

That's a big maybe. It was reported he was a pain in the ass to every coaching staff he had. He has obvious off the field issues. Obvious issues of respect for his coaching staff and obvious issues that he just doesn't seem to care about football since he has gotten paid. Its just bad all around and I think the chances of him stepping up and turning around are less than finding a franchise QB and winning the superbowl. JMO.

Yep. Contracts are meant to be ripped up the moment they're signed. The guaranteed money is all that matters.

I still don't get the urgency. We're weaker for the next ten games and they could have gotten a 6th round pick just as easily in the off season. Maybe more if Dareus finishes strong and the team got a lot of national exposure...

Teams are not as desperate in the offseason. They have free agency and the draft to fill holes. Nobody is giving up a 6th rounder in the offseason for Dareus's contract. Bills were obviously going to cut him. They saved the $7.5m guaranteed they would've had to pay him next year and got a 6th rounder.

The same ppl who hated the Sammy trade hate this trade so I think we're gonna be fine. Haha.

People are all upset abt losing the POTENTIAL of a 7th year Vet who's proven that he doesn't give two shitz abt his teammates or himself.

I'll take Tanner Vallejo and the $2M, Alex. Haha

McBeane going rogue is way more exciting than Whaley going rogue that's for sure!

It's a great move...Salary cap freedom next year ! With all our picks next year, it's going to come in handy ! Bye Marcel...go pout in Florida !!

Best move ever!!! I can't believe they were able to dump that contract. Marrone must still love him some Marcell. Rear Admiral Smokes-A-Lot, welcome to Jacksonville!

Now if they could move Glenn too, McD and Beane will be right where they've always wanted to be: free to reshape the team in McD's own image. (Does that scare small children around Halloween?)

Edited by The Frankish Reich

It's just shocking to me that Jacksonville took that contract on. The Bills aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, and I sure hope the FO is trying to get there vs a playoff birth. You move on from guys that aren't in your plan and pose a potential long term road block. We don't want to risk him blowing his knee out next week. He's not going suddenly care and have a monster season to raise his trade value in the off-season. It's just not very likely. Nobody is thrilled that our stud player got paid and gave up, but that's where we're at. Dead cap space... honestly it's not that big a deal. Countless teams in far worse scenarios have worked around a short term cap issues. It's massively disappointing, but a 6th was the demand, and I see very low odds the Bills were going to get more in the future.

As kirby points out though - is Tanner Vallejo and... Andre Holmes(? Or dimarco? Or groy though a little high on the price comps) better for this team than even mediocre dareus?

Whatd be really Billsy is if we end up signing a mediocre vet DT to replace him and that guy costs us a comp pick one day. Itd be like a TBD perfect storm.

If it's true that we get back only a 6th rounder then it's really disappointing. I'm getting the feeling that Dareus basically shut it down demonstrating that he simply didn't care and want to be part of the team. I get the impression that the HC made it clear that's he's not going to tolerate such wayward behavior in his building.

well if you go by this https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/197180-interesting-dareus-post-on-facebook-bills-mafia-page/?fromsearch=1

It was just a matter of time. They did not want him on the team and he didnt want to be on the team

Those of you thinking this trade was about tit for tat - about receiving something of equal value for Dareus, are thinking about it all wrong.

It's about getting rid a of a gigantic, albatross of a contact off the books a lot sooner. Dareus is getting paid an absurd amount to be an unreliable, part-time player. Can he still be effective? Sure, why not? But I'd rather ship that contract off to Jax and free up the money we're going to need for the long run.

This team is doing all of the right things. It's incredibly disciplined and they are obviously thinking about the long-term.

To be so short-sighted and complain about the 6th round pick we got in return is just ignorant.

Yep. People need to look at the bigger picture. It's not just a math problem.

While that may be true, the trade deadline is a week or so away I think. Teams could get desperate and offer more. According to Beane, which I don't really believe, the offer just came up and they took it.

Pretty sure the deadline is Tuesday. I mean I guess some team could get desperate after Sundays things. Jags could also pull out, say nevermind, and no one else would want him. They have been trying to dump him since camp. I doubt much changes in a few days.