Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

2019, 20, and 21 are 45 million in cap space.

Whether it will work is too soon to say, but this due is building something and Marcel didn't fit it. The NFL is a lot about paying players what they are worth and managing cap. Marcel is not worth his pay, and the coach didn't like him. Simple story.

Good call!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill keep on asking same player is on the jags and is offered up to the bills on a $2m contract... who doesnt take marcell at the cost of a 6th amd losimg 2m in cap space?

I don't. First of all it isn't a $2m contract. Second of all he could go smoke a joint next week and be suspended for the next 10 games.

Perhaps. But even when he is a tub of goo he is such a big tub that no one runs up the middle on us, and haven't the entire year really. Other guys have surely helped but he's pretty stout even when not making a lot of plays.

True, definitely see your point, but even his run D has declined big time, I also think with Ryan Davis and Milano balling out, we can have them at DE and kick Shaq inside on certain downs. Oh a

But it's the bigger picture, we just got rid of one of the worse contracts in the NFL! That's a success in itself. Dareus had such limited playing time, it's really not a big hole to fill either

2019, 20, and 21 are 45 million in cap space.

Whether it will work is too soon to say, but this duo is building something and Marcel didn't fit it. The NFL is a lot about paying players what they are worth and managing cap. Marcel is not worth his pay, and the coach didn't like him. Simple story.

Well the option to get rid of him after next year was always there. In fact, there was a line on his contract on sportrac highlighting the out after next year. Thats why it was structured like that. 2019 and beyond was never going to come into play. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Anyone thinking we should have gotten a 4th round (or THIRD??? Ha!) pick for him havent seen a Bills game in his tenure.

The Sabres have won 2 games this season and I would have still been happy with a bag full of practice pucks for his selfish ass.

Trust the !@#$ing process people.

Given that they have been trying to do this for months, it is clear this is the biggest offer they got.

Am I correct that because the trade takes place near the deadline, they get to defer the accelerated cap hit into next season?

In a league where you can carry money over and arent spending money mid season typically... it means very little to a team unless the move wouldve otherwise put them over the cap this year.

Its essentially taking money out of one pocket and putting it in your other while on your way to the store that is 2018 free agency. Changes little unless theres a real surprise along the way.

To minimize the dead money

I don't think they really care. I also don't really care. He will be off the books after next year. How much would they be minimizing it for?

Here was an article about this very thing posted in August:

Here is a look at the financial impact of releasing or trading Dareus within the next year:

• Releasing Dareus this season. The most extreme measure the Bills could take would be to release Dareus this season. His cap number for 2017 is $16.1 million, the highest on the team. Because his base salary is fully guaranteed, that entire amount would remain against the Bills' salary cap as dead money if he were to be released this season. In addition, the Bills would be on the hook in 2017 for the fully guaranteed portion ($7.35 million) of his 2018 salary, meaning his total 2017 dead-money charge would be an unwieldy $23.5 million. The Bills would also incur a $14.2 million dead-money charge in 2018 resulting from the acceleration of his signing bonus proration. Essentially, it would be more expensive against the Bills' salary cap the next two seasons to release him ($37.7 million) than to keep him ($32.7 million).

• Trading Dareus this season. Trading Dareus before this season would result in a cap savings of $9.75 million in 2017 -- Dareus' base salary -- but a $14.2 million dead-money charge in 2018 from the acceleration of his signing bonus proration. Given that the Bills could roll over the $9.75 million in 2017 savings into their 2018 cap, the dead money could be palatable. However, any team acquiring Dareus in a trade would be taking on risk by inheriting the 2017-21 seasons of his deal. In addition to Dareus' fully guaranteed $9.75 million salary in 2017, his new team would be on the hook for the fully guaranteed portion ($7.35 million) of his $9.925 million salary in 2018, as well as non-guaranteed salaries of $8.335 million (2019), $12.35 million (2020) and $12.4 million (2021). If any team was willing to take on that contract, the risk would cost the Bills in the trade compensation that team would receive.

• Releasing Dareus before next season. If the Bills released Dareus before June 1, 2018, they would incur a $21.6 million dead-money charge in 2018 resulting from his $7.35 million in guaranteed salary and $14.2 million in accelerated signing bonus proration. That would be more expensive than Dareus' existing $16.575 million cap number in 2018. However, there would be no dead money charge in 2019 under that scenario. If the Bills waited until after June 1 to release Dareus -- or designated him as a post-June 1 cut at an earlier date -- the Bills would still be on the hook for $14 million of Dareus' $16.575 million cap number in 2018. They would then incur a $7.8 million dead-money charge in 2019.

• Trading Dareus before next season. Dealing Dareus before June 1 would result in a $14.2 million dead-money charge against the Bills' 2018 salary cap, a slight savings over his $16.575 million cap number. If Dareus was dealt after June 1, 2018, it would result in a $6.4 million dead-money charge in 2018 and a $7.8 million dead-money charge in 2019.

I don't see the downside of not waiting. In fact I see the upside. Dareus is now off the books after 2018. Postponing it doesn't save all that much more money and pushes the dead cap to 2019.

Guarantees dont stay. Amortized bonus money that you already paid out gets accelerated

The perk of trading instead of cutting is that the future guarantees go with the player instead of also having to be accounted for by you. Our dead space in the trade is just accounting for checks we paid previously but pushed back the hit on the books for.

Thanks. So the Bills only save $5.7mil against the cap this year, $2.3mil against the cap next year, but also wipe out ~7-8mil in what would have been dead cap space if they'd kept him for two years and cut him before the 2019 season? Do I have that correct now or still mistaken?

I don't think they really care. I also don't really care. He will be off the books after next year. How much would they be minimizing it for?

Here was an article about this very thing posted in August:

I don't see the downside of not waiting. In fact I see the upside. Dareus is now off the books after 2018. Postponing it doesn't save all that much more money and pushes the dead cap to 2019.

The message of keeping a player that is not bought in?

That matters. Teams trade guys that they don't believe in.