Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

If you gave me the option of Dareus or Vallejo and$2M in cap space Im taking Dareus 10 times out of 10. Thats why I dont like the move.

Right- if some team had dareus in a $2m deal and said they would take a 6th for him... every last one of us would jump on it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post the site your gettinf that number. Because i bet you are counting his INJ missed plays as wel. But your agenda i got it

Show it

Of course it doesn't include his missed time. Why would it? He wasn't on the field. That does zero to my argument. Other players played those snaps just fine. He play 33% of the snaps on the year. Whether it's because he missed time for injury or the coaches didn't put him in matters not.

Here you go...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2017-snap-counts.htm

Edited by Scott7975

I really hope there's some part to this that everyone who has reported on it so far is getting wrong. (Jax is on the hook for the 2018 guaranteed portion of Dareus's salary or something)

If we really traded a 2x probowl DT (within the AFC to a wildcard competitor) to save $7mil over 2 years and gain a 6th round pick I don't know what to say. We could have saved more money cutting Dimarco/Ducasse.

Jax takes all future payments to him (2018 salary)

Yup. Dareus is a unique character. I don't think he's the jerk people make him out to be. I do think you can't excuse his behavior anymore. I do think that his teammates like him more than don't. It's possible that we will be better without him with all overachievers. That has yet to be determined. And who knows whether Dareus will perform for Todd Wash, the DC of the Jags. I know nothing about him except they kept him because his D was top ten last year.

Just to be clear, I don’t think he’s a jerk at all. I think he’s a big ole teddy bear of a fun loving guy who just isn’t that much into football anymore. I sincerely hope he can return to form and that the DC in Jax is another Schwartz for him. I just doubt it very much at this point.

Ive factored in the $14M of dead space next year (hence the $2M in cap space created).

Have you factored in his laziness or his attitude?

Do you know how to beat cancer before it spreads? Early detection.

From everything I read, they spent the entire offseason trying to unload this guy. His market value is clearly a 6th round pick. 2014 Dareus ain't comin' back.

Yeah, because NOTHING says cheap quite like a team owned by Terry Pegula.

Think before you post.

So far we have not paid Gilmore, not paid Gillislee, not paid Woods, traded Watkins before we had to pay him, traded Dareus, tried to trade Glenn, only brough Tyrod back at half price...I did think. Look at what has taken place. I dont care what type of money pegula has. Its a salary cap league and hes not making the roster decisions. These guys are going to fill a team with value c minus players and never overlay for guys. A lot of people like that. I just think the money ball movement is overblown and the teams with the good players usually win

@spotrac

Dareus leaves dead cap hits of $10.66M & $14.2M to the #Bills in 2017/2018 while saving $5.7M/$2.3M respectively. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/marcell-dareus-7718/

But we are still paying $10.66 and $14.2 million for no player. "Saving" is a bit misleading in this regard, unless someone wants to clarify.

Of course it doesn't include his missed time. Why would it? He wasn't on the field. That does zero to my argument. Other players played those snaps just fine. He play 33% of the snaps on the year. Whether it's because he missed time for injury or the coaches didn't put him in matters not.

Here you go...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2017-snap-counts.htm

Did they hmmmm ok the games Dareus had low snap counts we lost. The games he didnt we won. Interesting huh???

Ooo and every DT on this team minus Kyle is around 33%

So who is taking Marcel snaps and tell me how thag is better.

For a grand total of 2M in cap space and a throw away pick because we have a coaching staff and FO that just tosses talent to the wayside

@spotrac

Dareus leaves dead cap hits of $10.66M & $14.2M to the #Bills in 2017/2018 while saving $5.7M/$2.3M respectively. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/marcell-dareus-7718/ …

7:36 PM - Oct 27, 2017

But we are still paying $10.66 and $14.2 million for no player. "Saving" is a bit misleading in this regard, unless someone wants to clarify.

His salary is deducted from the dead cap for both years.

@spotrac

Dareus leaves dead cap hits of $10.66M & $14.2M to the #Bills in 2017/2018 while saving $5.7M/$2.3M respectively. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/marcell-dareus-7718/

Salary + additional guarantees + amortized cap would've exceeded the dead cap number, so on net the Bills get some cap savings.

So far we have not paid Gilmore, not paid Gillislee, not paid Woods, traded Watkins before we had to pay him, traded Dareus, tried to trade Glenn, only brough Tyrod back at half price...I did think. Look at what has taken place. I dont care what type of money pegula has. Its a salary cap league and hes not making the roster decisions. These guys are going to fill a team with value c minus players and never overlay for guys. A lot of people like that. I just think the money ball movement is overblown and the teams with the good players usually win

the piece you are missing is that they will likely pay for the players that they feel fit the team and culture. They didnt want to pay for the players that they didnt see as part of the long term vision. At this point, its so early that we only see the outgoing.

@spotrac

Because his overall cap hit had he stayed on the team was more than the Dead Money. Hence that Cap Savings

Just to be clear, I don’t think he’s a jerk at all. I think he’s a big ole teddy bear of a fun loving guy who just isn’t that much into football anymore. I sincerely hope he can return to form and that the DC in Jax is another Schwartz for him. I just doubt it very much at this point.

I think he's just a guy who hates football but knows he has to play it because that's what he's paid very highly to do.

@spotrac

Our dead cap hit is less than what his cap hit would cost if he was here. There is nothing more to clarify because it's pretty simple.

They deal with a dead cap next year and it's over. This year doesn't even matter. They do save like 16 a year for the next few after next year too though.

Edited by Scott7975

I've met him before and he's not a jerk by any means. He was very friendly and down to earth. But that doesn't win football games and the guy clearly does not have a burning desire to play football at the highest level he is capable of right now. Sometimes it is tough to hear the personal attacks on Dareus because he really is a good dude as a human being but it was absolutely time for the Bills to cut ties and move on from him