Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you factored in his laziness or his attitude?

Do you know how to beat cancer before it spreads? Early detection.

From everything I read, they spent the entire offseason trying to unload this guy. His market value is clearly a 6th round pick. 2014 Dareus ain't comin' back.

Would you rather have Tanner Vallejo and $2M in cap space or Dareus? Thats what the conversation is.

I've met him before and he's not a jerk by any means. He was very friendly and down to earth. But that doesn't win football games and the guy clearly does not have a burning desire to play football at the highest level he is capable of right now. Sometimes it is tough to hear the personal attacks on Dareus because he really is a good dude as a human being but it was absolutely time for the Bills to cut ties and move on from him

Agree entirely.

the piece you are missing is that they will likely pay for the players that they feel fit the team and culture. They didnt want to pay for the players that they didnt see as part of the long term vision. At this point, its so early that we only see the outgoing.

Yep. It's quite obvious. Although, for example, each of the draft picks, plus Matthews and Gaines, plus anyone they have been signing to the PS fits this hard working, no nonsense, no baggage, overachiever, team player character guy.

My only worry is that ignoring talent for all those kinds of players may not be a recipe for a championship team. In every sport teams that win have a couple stars on them as we have discussed before. We have one. Shady. We could just as easily be a team that gets to the playoffs all the time but cannot get over the hump because we lack sheer talent. I don't know of any team in any sport any year that has done it this way and won it all. Not saying it's impossible but we have to wait and see. Usually stars can be divas.

Jax takes all future payments to him (2018 salary)

I'm not saying this isn't correct (I honestly don't know) but has this been reported anywhere? Dareus's contract is kind of weird in that all but 2.3mil of his 2018 salary has already been guaranteed and the guaranteed money usually stays with the team that is trading the player. (Which I think is what Rodak and Spotrac are reporting at the moment when they say the Bills are only clearing 2.3mli in cap space next year) If all of Dareus's 2018 base salary goes with him I still don't like the trade but it makes it much easier to understand.

Our dead cap hit is less than what his cap hit would cost if he was here. There is nothing more to clarify because it's pretty simple.

They deal with a dead cap next year and it's over. This year doesn't even matter. They do save like 16 a year for the next few after next year too though.

Ok. That's what I thought it was.

So in reality our claimed "savings" are simply that we aren't paying him. But we still have $10 million on the books this year for him. And $14 million on the books next year for him. Those don't go away because we traded him.

So its safe to say we are paying $10 million in 2017, and $14 million in 2018 for a player not on the team. The benefit of that is that we don't have to pay the rest of his salary, but the difference between the "dead cap" and his regular salary shouldn't be called "savings".

Not numbers. Talent.

Washington was thought to be almost out of here a few weeks ago. Worthy's only played 52 snaps all season. Thorton weighs 299, so he's not stacking anything...

the perceived talent difference only matters if there is discernible difference in performance when he plays vs Thornton, who is the one he was battling for the starting spot. Was there? I have no idea. The previous lower snap counts on the others dont matter now as they will both be active going forward. As I mentioned those guys werent always active when marcel was.

Im not hung up on the perceived talent of a player if the rest of the package isnt there. Im not sure Dareus takes Football seriously enough to get this team to the next level.

I'm not saying this isn't correct (I honestly don't know) but has this been reported anywhere? Dareus's contract is kind of weird in that all but 2.3mil of his 2018 salary has already been guaranteed and the guaranteed money usually stays with the team that is trading the player. (Which I think is what Rodak and Spotrac are reporting at the moment when they say the Bills are only clearing 2.3mli in cap space next year) If all of Dareus's 2018 base salary goes with him I still don't like the trade but it makes it much easier to understand.

Guarantees dont stay. Amortized bonus money that you already paid out gets accelerated

The perk of trading instead of cutting is that the future guarantees go with the player instead of also having to be accounted for by you. Our dead space in the trade is just accounting for checks we paid previously but pushed back the hit on the books for.

the perceived talent difference only matters if there is discernible difference in performance when he plays vs Thornton, who is the one he was battling for the starting spot. Was there? I have no idea. The previous lower snap counts on the others dont matter now as they will both be active going forward. As I mentioned those guys werent always active when marcel was.

Im not hung up on the perceived talent of a player if the rest of the package isnt there. Im not sure Dareus takes Football seriously enough to get this team to the next level.

As I have been saying for a long time, your highest paid need to do more than just suit up and be "talented"

Dareus was talented only when he wanted to be other than that he was a slug. Time was up. Next.