Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why they HAD to trade him this year. Aren't we on the hook for his contract this year either way? I'm no salary cap expert but how does trading him now vs in the offseason help?

It gets a cancer out of the locker room.

Thats irrelevant IMO. The cost/benefit dictated that you had to keep him through next year. You basically let him walk for Tanner Vallejo and $2M in cap space. Thats not worth the risk.

And that nails it. You have to hit a home run with what you gained to even get mediocre dareus quality of play and have no chance at the elite dareus play.

Essentially youve accepted all the downside and shipped out all the upside

Edited by NoSaint

And that nails it. You have to hit a homer in with what you gained to even get mediocre dareus quality of play and have no chance at the elite dareus play.

Essentially youve accepted all the downside and shipped out all the upside

I dunno, I just can't get behind this. Culture is a real thing. It sends a message when a guy like Dareus is your highest-paid player and not doing squat. And I think if you kept him around you'd always be waiting for the next problem to pop up.

He actually looked pretty good against Tampa. He was consistently double-teamed, and if not beating it then he was at least soaking up blockers and holding the line of scrimmage.

He looked pretty good in the last five minutes. He was a tub of goo for the first 45.

OK, but that changes the question, doesn't it? Isn't the decision to be made simply are we better off with Dareus, or with ~$5 million cap space this year, $2 million next, a 6th round pick, and no further obligation? I don't see how the dead cap number is relevant.

Because you arent getting anywhere near the production that he is capable of for $2m in cap space.

Salary cap space is an asset. Welcome to the NFL where mediocre players depreciate in value faster than cars.

John Idzik says hello.

Can't believe they promoted that idea. ;)

So Billsy.

Fair question: does Beane watch the games?

Billy or Brandon? Because in Moneyball Billy doesn't watch all the games. Good opportunity for treadmill time.

This just in from ESPN:

"The Bills will receive a 2018 sixth-round pick from Jacksonville. A source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the selection can become a fifth-round pick based on Dareus' performance."

So it COULD be a 5th round pick...