Lost our dog today

Guffalo

Our once in a lifetime dog passed away today. After 14 years, she just ran out of time. A big (70lb) pit/shepard mix who was so well trained she really didn't need a leash. Was gentle with kids and adults, would watch a plate of food at chest level and not touch it, just a great companion. She had been having age issues for the last few months and had stopped her daily routine - wake up, pad into our bedroom, walk to each side of the bed and either snort in our face or rub her head under an outstretched hand to wake us up. Then she would guide us down to her dish for feeding time, on the way carrying a sock or something she picked up on the way as a treat for us when she goes for her bowl.

She had not participated in the daily routine for about 3 months since she couldn't do the stairs. Yesterday I awoke to a snort in the face, my wife felt the "self-petting" under her hand. Tyler gave us a dirty sock and ate breakfast and laid down. She stayed in the same spot and refused to move, eat or drink. We knew the end was near when my daughter called during the day to report the breathing was heavy and Tyler wasnt moving all day. After work, nothing had changed, I gave her a hug, she refused steak, water or snacks. She wasn't in any pain that we could see as we went to bed.

This morning I came down, she was aware of me, I gave her a pet and a hug, she kind of took a deep breath and snorted in my scent, shuddered a bit and I called my wife down, by the time my wife came down, Tyler had gone. Such a sweet dog and a perfect buddy.

So sorry, Guff.

When you can ... how about posting a pic of Tyler so we can see how awesome she was. Sounds like a phenomenal dog and I'm sure she was lucky to have you as owners.

RIP, Tyler.

I'm so sorry. It's always tough to lose a loved one, and while I wouldn't trade having my dogs for the world, it's so extremely painful when you lose them.

I hope you are able to get through the grief by celebrating her life. Best wishes to you.

So sorry for your loss. It is losing a family member, not like losing one it is. Wife & I the kids and our friend the vet cried when we put our dog down.

Thinking of you guff.

Very sorry Guffalo. Dogs are members of the family. Losing one is devastating but you can take solace in the fact that he loved you and your family unconditionally. The time will be right to look for another dog and you'll start over again. In the interim, very sorry for your loss.

(Incidentally, my 13 yr old lab did the same thing. Used to come up and wake us up every morning. He doesn't anymore and can hardly get up. No problems with heart and xray normal but vet said he is just old. Giving him anti-inflammatories but doesn't seem to be helping. Already preparing for what might be happening later this week. We have another lab here and he'll be lost without his big brother). Stay strong brother.

Sorry to hear Guff. I put two down in the last two years. One was 11 and the other 15. I still have two and they are almost 16 and almost 14. Believe or not they both beg to play ball everyday. I dread the day they are gone, putting down the first two was hard enough. My girlfriend and I use to joke that we ran a doggy nursing home.

Dogs teach us what it means to be loyal and live every moment with anticipation of something awesome. It's terrible when you lose such a special member of your family but there is another great family member waiting to help you heal - and that dog is facing an unnecessary death right now.

Head on down to the shelter and find the next great member of your family. It's the ultimate tribute to Tyler. Good luck, brother.

I am so sorry man. I know how hard it is to lose a dog. As far as Im concerned its the same as losing a member of the family.

Your post made me :cry:

CBF

Considering MY family, losing a beloved family pet is much worse! Find a good rescue dog, and the loss may be eased.

We have a 16 year old chihuahua. Great dog but in decline. Cataracts, mostly deaf, diabetic, has to wear a diaper, but his nose works and he has the house memorized so he still gets around fine. Then last night we get woke up at 4am by the dog having what we think was an epileptic seizure.

He's seems fine now but this can't be a good development. Anyone have any experience with dogs developing seizures late in life.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We have a 16 year old chihuahua. Great dog but in decline. Cataracts, mostly deaf, diabetic, has to wear a diaper, but his nose still works and he has the house memorized so he still gets around fine. Then last night we get woke up at 4am by the dog having what we think was an epileptic seizure.

He's seems fine now but this can't be a good development. Anyone have any experience with dogs developing seizures late in life.

My dog was having what appeared to be seizures but it was actually a brain tumor. I'd get that looked at ASAP.

I don't know you but sure know how you feel, I had two dachshunds that lived to be about 14. Buster left 9 years ago and I haven't got another yet. It's so hard. Hang in there and woof to Tyler who's now with Ralphie and Buster.

Mike

We have 2 dachshunds, one is 14 and the other is 12. The 12 year old is still in good shape, runs around like a pup. But my 14 year old is losing her sight and hearing and moving slowly. They are such a big part of the family and i know we only have a limited time left, so I try to give the extra attention as much as possible. Losing a dog or any family pet is difficult, sorry for your loss Guff!

Edited by ricojes

Guffalo,

A beloved animal is one of life's purest blessings.

The pain of loss is very difficult, but it is the price we must pay in order to love deeply.

I always think that is part of the meaning of the beatitude, "blessed are those who mourn."

The callous are not hurt, but neither do they love.

You and Tyler are richer for having known one another.

I personally believe you will see her again.

I havent figured out how to post a pic as requested. She was a rescue and when we got her she had some scars from the some idiot who abused her. Rkfast sent me some pics last night of Tyler when she was pup, while our older dog was acting as big brother. If anyone can guide me through it I would post one or two. RKfast if you see this, jump in with a pic.

I havent figured out how to post a pic as requested. She was a rescue and when we got her she had some scars from the some idiot who abused her. Rkfast sent me some pics last night of Tyler when she was pup, while our older dog was acting as big brother. If anyone can guide me through it I would post one or two. RKfast if you see this, jump in with a pic.

Just go to imgur.com and use BBCode; this is our King who died recently.

duGos1O.jpg

Edited by Koolaid

Dogs teach us what it means to be loyal and live every moment with anticipation of something awesome. It's terrible when you lose such a special member of your family but there is another great family member waiting to help you heal - and that dog is facing an unnecessary death right now.

Head on down to the shelter and find the next great member of your family. It's the ultimate tribute to Tyler. Good luck, brother.

Good advice AD...

Guff--deep condolences...I read this thinking about my 14 year old Queensland Heeler at home knowing that she is also fading :cry: ..God rest Tyler's soul.

Our once in a lifetime dog passed away today. After 14 years, she just ran out of time. A big (70lb) pit/shepard mix who was so well trained she really didn't need a leash. Was gentle with kids and adults, would watch a plate of food at chest level and not touch it, just a great companion. She had been having age issues for the last few months and had stopped her daily routine - wake up, pad into our bedroom, walk to each side of the bed and either snort in our face or rub her head under an outstretched hand to wake us up. Then she would guide us down to her dish for feeding time, on the way carrying a sock or something she picked up on the way as a treat for us when she goes for her bowl.

She had not participated in the daily routine for about 3 months since she couldn't do the stairs. Yesterday I awoke to a snort in the face, my wife felt the "self-petting" under her hand. Tyler gave us a dirty sock and ate breakfast and laid down. She stayed in the same spot and refused to move, eat or drink. We knew the end was near when my daughter called during the day to report the breathing was heavy and Tyler wasnt moving all day. After work, nothing had changed, I gave her a hug, she refused steak, water or snacks. She wasn't in any pain that we could see as we went to bed.

This morning I came down, she was aware of me, I gave her a pet and a hug, she kind of took a deep breath and snorted in my scent, shuddered a bit and I called my wife down, by the time my wife came down, Tyler had gone. Such a sweet dog and a perfect buddy.

Sad ,My sheppard lab is 13yrs old same weight. Got him at 6 weeks. Starting to really slow down this year, Would not go do do in the yard till this year. Your buddy sounds like mine. I feel for you.