Trying to be reasonable here

mrags

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They won the last two Super Bowls.  LOL.  I'm also a little dubious of their ability to scout WR's with spending premium draft picks on Hardman, Moore, and Rice.

someone more jaded might point out those were late second rounders in the mid 50s and we are edging towards jumping in that very challenging pool 

Why are we assuming Worthy is the new Tyreek Hill? Because he’s fast? Tyreek Hill is a generational talent. Most undersized fast WRs don’t end up having careers anything like Hill’s. 

Worthy hasn’t played a game yet but he’s already a hall of famer and breaking your hearts in the playoffs. This is the definition of anxiety and y’all need some meds. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

You can play offense by having a good defense. You take away a puzzle piece that the chiefs have missed for the last 2 yrs with Hill and gave it right back. However close we were to beating them before is long gone now.

You don’t know this at all. The other teams might not have traded with them, or instead took worthy before them. This isn’t known. 

The end result is KC dominating us for another 5 years until Allen ups and leaves after next contract. 

Doesn't matter who we draft or who KC drafts until our coach stops getting outcoached by their coach in playoff games.

7 minutes ago, MPL said:

Why are we assuming Worthy is the new Tyreek Hill? Because he’s fast? Tyreek Hill is a generational talent. Most undersized fast WRs don’t end up having careers anything like Hill’s. 

Worthy hasn’t played a game yet but he’s already a hall of famer and breaking your hearts in the playoffs. This is the definition of anxiety and y’all need some meds. 

no I’m not assuming he is but if he does become an impact player there’s a pretty hefty weight added now 

4 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

The chiefs did it to us when we needed a db and took mcduffie out from under us. Forcing us to trade up for Elam. What do they know as back to back champs. 

The Bills wee never going to draft McDuffie.  He was known coming out as a slot corner in skill set which is what he is.  The Bills had just signed their own slot corner, one of the best in the league, to a hefty long term deal.  Honestly, I cannot understand why anyone continues to believe this fairly tale other than pushing a stale narrative.  

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

So we should have stayed at 28 and drafted a player we could’ve had later, while not getting an extra 3rd rd pick….just so KC wouldn’t be able to give us a free 3rd rd pick in order to select a player that may have been there when they picked at 32?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

worrying about other teams = fail

worrying about building your own team = yes please 

do what’s best for your team.  Worrying about what other teams are doing is for losers.  Jmo

I agree with a lot of this.

I also agree that if a team like KC wants an offensive player at a position we need help at ourselves, maybe we should have taken that player in the first place? Andy Reid must like that kid and probably for a good reason.

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

I agree with a lot of this.

I also agree that if a team like KC wants an offensive player at a position we need help at ourselves, maybe we should have taken that player in the first place? Andy Reid must like that kid and probably for a good reason.

I can’t get on board with that.  We hired a staff of professionals who busted their butts all season scouting these guys.  Then when it comes down to our pick, we should select a player that we deemed, pardon the pun, “not worthy” of the selection just because the champions deem him worthy of a trade up?  🤷🏻‍♂️ not a fan of that way of thinking personally but I can understand why others would. 

Each team has different needs and fits for their scheme.  KC has 2 guys that can play outside (maybe one, depending on rice).  We don’t really have any that are ideal outside.  I like a worthy in the slot, but not so much dealing with press.  So I don’t see him as ideal for us (although I wouldn’t have been upset if he was our pick due to having an elite trait).

I’m glad we don’t have to worry about him getting smacked and broken in half.  I’m also happy that the chiefs took Worthy over Mcconkey.  I thought that was a match made in heaven 

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I can’t get on board with that.  We hired a staff of professionals who busted their butts all season scouting these guys.  Then when it comes down to our pick, we should select a player that we deemed, pardon the pun, “not worthy” of the selection just because the champions deem him worthy of a trade up?  🤷🏻‍♂️ not a fan of that way of thinking personally but I can understand why others would. 

Each team has different needs and fits for their scheme.  KC has 2 guys that can play outside (maybe one, depending on rice).  We don’t really have any that are ideal outside.  I like a worthy in the slot, but not so much dealing with press.  So I don’t see him as ideal for us (although I wouldn’t have been upset if he was our pick due to having an elite trait).

I’m glad we don’t have to worry about him getting smacked and broken in half.  I’m also happy that the chiefs took Worthy over Mcconkey.  I thought that was a match made in heaven 

OK, then how do you feel about THREE wide receivers coming off the board from 28 to 32. Three wide receivers we had a chance to draft and didn’t.

I guess whoever the Bills take is going to be better than those three guys because the Bills took him? 

In Beane’s tenure with the Bills, he drafted Gabe Davis, Khalil Shakir and who else at wide receiver? 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Look Andy Reid just got his KC version of Desean Jackson. It’s what the Chiefs wanted from the beginning of this process. 
This would not have mattered if the Bills adequately addressed receiver before the draft. 
Now he’s going to torch the Bills at least once a game they play. If you’re ok with that that’s fine. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

This is a very simple minded and weak way of thinking.  Playing scared.  

they would’ve gotten worthy one way or another….unless you think we should’ve taken Worthy just to keep them from KC.  And that’s just pathetic. 

I think the Chiefs jumped Dallas because they were going to take Worthy. He would have been a good fit in Dallas. The problem is if you want the team that has eliminated you from the playoffs almost every year to get the guy THEY want.... getting a third and losing the 4th I would NOT consider that appropriate value. You need to stick it to KC if they want to get their guy.

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

OK, then how do you feel about THREE wide receivers coming off the board from 28 to 32. Three wide receivers we had a chance to draft and didn’t.

I guess whoever the Bills take is going to be better than those three guys because the Bills took him? 

In Beane’s tenure with the Bills, he drafted Gabe Davis, Khalil Shakir and who else at wide receiver? 

You’re saying teams should base their first rd pick on what another team deems as worthy.  I can’t get on board with that.  Do the work. Make your board and stick with it.  If you can’t trust your FO to do that and instead follow another teams board, you should fire your FO.  

KC thought Mecole hardman was worth a 1st.  He wasn’t imo.  They thought Skyy moore was worth a 2nd. He wasn’t (although I thought it was a great pick at the time).  They thought CEH was worth a 1st.  He wasn’t. Maybe we should’ve taken them too.  

agree to disagree bro. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I’m so sick of this dumb ass Mcduffie narrative.  We were not drafting a slot corner.

Not as sick as I am of people here pretending McDuffie was a Slot Only CB prospect so they can say we didn’t really want him. Revisionist history so they can excuse the Bills’ mistake. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Ramza86 said:

I think the Chiefs jumped Dallas because they were going to take Worthy. He would have been a good fit in Dallas. The problem is if you want the team that has eliminated you from the playoffs almost every year to get the guy THEY want.... getting a third and losing the 4th I would NOT consider that appropriate value. You need to stick it to KC if they want to get their guy.

You’re entitled to your opinion.  I have a differing one. I don’t think Dallas would’ve taken worthy, but who knows.  Maybe SF…. But I don’t think so.  Doesn’t fit imo.  

I don’t think we would’ve stuck it to KC.  I think they would’ve gotten him at 32 and kept their 3rd.  We’ll never know

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re saying teams should base their first rd pick on what another team deems as worthy.  I can’t get on board with that.  Do the work. Make your board and stick with it.  If you can’t trust your FO to do that and instead follow another teams board, you should fire your FO.  

KC thought Mecole hardman was worth a 1st.  He wasn’t imo.  They thought Skyy moore was worth a 2nd. He wasn’t (although I thought it was a great pick at the time).  They thought CEH was worth a 1st.  He wasn’t. Maybe we should’ve taken them too.  

agree to disagree bro. 

they also paid good value for Toney in trying to find a Tyreek substitute.  Their track record of attempting to replace Hill is poor. That perhaps was part of Beane’s calculation.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Charles Romes said:

they also paid good value for Toney in trying to find a Tyreek substitute.  Their track record of attempting to replace Hill is poor. That perhaps was part of Beane’s calculation.  

👍🏻 thanks.  Forgot about that.  

we may look back at this and cry.  We may also look back and laugh.  I won’t pretend to know either way….but  I’m glad we didn’t let another team dictate what we did or didn’t do.

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Not as sick as I am of people here pretending McDuffie was a Slot Only CB prospect so they can say we didn’t really want him. Revisionist history so they can excuse the Bills’ mistake. 

Well he was considered a slot and he plays in the slot.  So there's that.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, NewEra said:

So we should have stayed at 28 and drafted a player we could’ve had later, while not getting an extra 3rd rd pick….just so KC wouldn’t be able to give us a free 3rd rd pick in order to select a player that may have been there when they picked at 32?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

worrying about other teams = fail

worrying about building your own team = yes please 

do what’s best for your team.  Worrying about what other teams are doing is for losers.  Jmo

I guess you read my post wrong. I was simply trying to explain that I don’t necessarily hate what happened as far as not taking a player. I like worthy, not as much as many here I’ll admit that. But I did like him. I was fine if they didn’t draft him and they have trades on other guys they like better. 

And I generally do not care about giving another team the pick and taking the player they want anyway. Fact is, you’re correct, they likely would have gotten him anyway. I still don’t want to be the team to give it to them. Either way, still doesn’t bother me. 

But it is noted the media brought up last night ok both NFLN and ESPN that it’s the Bills that gave up Mahomes, and laughed at us for how that has worked out. Here’s the thing, I generally don’t care about losing out on Mahomes. I’d honestly take Allen every time if I had the chance. I think Mahomes is a douche. But, it does kind of get old having to hear the same thing over and over again when someone brings it up. And we didn’t again. Granted it’s not one of the best QBs of all time we’re talking about so I guess there’s that. 

even still, I don’t care about giving them a player and agree that we shouldn’t worry about other teams. I don’t. I’m just sick of hearing the same crap other and over. And if Worthy is the next Hill for KC, we will never hear the end of it. 

someone here pointed out tho, that even though the Bills had no more first round grades on anyone and that’s why they’re back, it still could be that maybe Worthy or Legette or Pearsal (kind of a joke) were our next 3 WRs on board and now we don’t have an opportunity to pick one of them. In his presser last night Beane did say he expected to pick at 32 after the trade. So what changed? 3 guys at a position of need were now gone and we went with another trade back because of it. Which is fine imo. UNLESS….. you covet having the first round pick on someone for the 5th round option. And let’s be real about that here it isn’t huge advantage, especially on a position like WR, to get them for that extra year before they need to renegotiate a contract worth 20-30m.

But I really was trying to say that I don’t feel terrible about what happened, I have positives and negatives for what happened. I hope they use those picks and move around today like Kevin Costner in draft day. Making it all worth it. 

Edited by mrags
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

So we should have stayed at 28 and drafted a player we could’ve had later, while not getting an extra 3rd rd pick

We didn’t really get an extra 3rd round pick.

We traded a 4th for a 3rd, so we essentially moved up half a round.

Thats a lot different than keeping our picks and gaining a 3rd.

I would have been fine trading with anyone else. I hate that they traded with KC.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

What are you talking about? We literally went through this when the bills wanted mcduffie and ended up with Elam a few years back. That move cost us and this one will too. Bills are playing checkers, while the chiefs play chess. 

They traded in front of us to pick the player we wanted... This time we traded them a player we didn't want at that spot and got a pick moved up to the 3rd round...

They are so dissimilar i don't know how we could have "went through this before".  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Well he was considered a slot and he plays in the slot.  So there's that.

Not true regarding him as a prospect. Not optimal size for an outside CB, but big enough and with a fantastic skill set. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They won the last two Super Bowls.  LOL.  I'm also a little dubious of their ability to scout WR's with spending premium draft picks on Hardman, Moore, and Rice.

At this point, I would trust KC’s front office over ours.

A front office that has rebuilt their entire defense and o-line into top 10 units in only two off-seasons. A front office that jumped in front of us to take McDuffie, while we took Elam. A front office that traded with us to take Mahomes.

I like Beane - I think we could do a lot worse than Brandon - but if I HAD to bet on who is right and who is wrong at a premature hour, I would have to bet on the Chiefs front office simply based on recent history alone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Beane gained 124 spots in draft position to give up 5.  The Bills now have two 2nds, a 3rd, and four (!!!) 4ths.

That’s a win.  Who gives a @#$% what the Chefs do?

• Like (+1) 2

So many bills fans make excuses for this team. We’re always a step behind KC. When will you guys admit that? After they beat us a few more times in the playoffs? KC viewed worthy as worth trading up for. We need Wr more than they do. I trust KC mgmt team over ours. It’s pretty simple. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mrags said:

someone here pointed out tho, that even though the Bills had no more first round grades on anyone and that’s why they’re back, it still could be that maybe Worthy or Legette or Pearsal (kind of a joke) were our next 3 WRs on board and now we don’t have an opportunity to pick one of them. In his presser last night Beane did say he expected to pick at 32 after the trade. So what changed? 3 guys at a position of need were now gone and we went with another trade back because of it. Which is fine imo. UNLESS….. you covet having the first round pick on someone for the 5th round option. And let’s be real about that here it isn’t huge advantage, especially on a position like WR, to get them for that extra year before they need to renegotiate a contract worth 20-30m.

But I really was trying to say that I don’t feel terrible about what happened, I have positives and negatives for what happened. I hope they use those picks and move around today like Kevin Costner in draft day. Making it all worth it. 

To the bolded: I think they only traded down because there were so many guys in the next tier which is why they only slid down a few picks at a time.  If they had 5 guys they liked at 28 trading to 32 guarantees they get someone they like still.  If none of them were Legette, it isn't a problem to move down another spot and so on.

Mitchell, McConkey, Dejean, Newton, Coleman, and Franklin could all still be realistic targets and allow them to move down a few more spots if those are indeed their guys just as an example.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, eball said:

Beane gained 124 spots in draft position to give up 5.  The Bills now have two 2nds, a 3rd, and four (!!!) 4ths.

Us, in January, when they send us home for the fourth time in 5 years?

There is, legitimately, no other team we should care about more than the Chiefs.

40 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I would have been fine trading with anyone else. I hate that they traded with KC.

Correct- I misspoke.  Doesn’t change the fact that we know have a 3rd rd pick in a draft where there is good value in that range…..and not so much value with the 4th we traded 

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

This is a very simple minded and weak way of thinking.  Playing scared.  

they would’ve gotten worthy one way or another….unless you think we should’ve taken Worthy just to keep them from KC.  And that’s just pathetic. 

This^^ The Bills didn’t want Worthy, that much should be obvious. Worrying about the Chiefs taking a player you didn’t value is a loser mentality. 

8 hours ago, mrags said:

Here’s where I’m at right now. 

I would have been happy with Mitchell or McConkey at 28 without any trades. And we traded back and got, not extra picks, but made our later picks better in the process. 

Now, if they go with that DB/S tomorrow at 33 I’m gonna be livid. 

If they take Mitchell, McConkey, Franklin, I’ll be perfectly happy with it. As I would have been at 28. 

Now; with that all said, you picked up the extra 3rd rounder, and now have some better ammo with the four 5th rounders. So i really really hope they are active tomorrow. Getting either an extra 2nd by moving back into the 2nd rd. Or moving up from 60 to the 40s or something. And then hopefully moving up in the 3rd again too. 

I will wait and see what he does. 

BUT……
I am absolutely with most agreeing that you shouldn’t give KC the chance to take a guy that can smoke you for years to come. If worthy or Legette are the real deal in this league we look like fools again. No matter who we take.

Prepare to be livid.  Based on how the WR's went, I think the draft grades on a lot of the receiver left might honestly make it to the end of the 2nd round, or close enough to trade up range.  

If we stay at 33, I think the pick is DeJean and we hope Franklin or the UNC receiver is there later.  All of our pre-draft visits would support that theory

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Correct- I misspoke.  Doesn’t change the fact that we know have a 3rd rd pick in a draft where there is good value in that range…..and not so much value with the 4th we traded 

4 5ths means they can also maneuver a few picks around in round 2-3, as well as bumping up the 4th.  I think there are more roster spots available than in the past so while i don't think buffalo needs the 10 picks they have, 8 feels about right.  2 WRs, 1 S, 1 CB, 1 DE, 1 DT, 1 OL, 1 RB.  I don't think they need to use premium picks on positions like RB and CB necessarily.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Worthy would have been a great add with Allen, do you disagree?

We need a #1.

Worthy isn't that guy.  It would have been illogical for the Bills to take a guy ONLY to keep him away from KC.  I'm so glad Beane doesn't think that way.

Just now, Success said:

We need a #1.

Worthy isn't that guy.  It would have been illogical for the Bills to take a guy ONLY to keep him away from KC.  I'm so glad Beane doesn't think that way.

The GM has publicly stated he disagrees with you about needed a #1. We need an X, not a 1. I want Baker for that job.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I don't think we have four 4ths. I'm pretty sure we went into yesterday with 2 and traded one. So I think we have 1 fourth left.

The only reason to be upset with either trade back is if you wanted Worthy or Legette.  Obviously, the Bills didn't.  We upgraded our draft slots significantly.  The optics of the KC trade don't look good to people who don't follow this stuff, but that's why Beane makes the big bucks.  You don't pay attention to the peanut gallery and do what you need to do.  He made his play and showed some balls in the process.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Prepare to be livid.  Based on how the WR's went, I think the draft grades on a lot of the receiver left might honestly make it to the end of the 2nd round, or close enough to trade up range.  

If we stay at 33, I think the pick is DeJean and we hope Franklin or the UNC receiver is there later.  All of our pre-draft visits would support that theory

If they take Dejean ill seriously…. Ugh…. I don’t want to think about it 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sweats said:

A couple of things.....

* This is no place to be reasonable

* I have no idea what the FO is planning.......and neither do you

* I imagine somewhere, someone has a plan

* It made me sick that i stayed up till 11:30 last night to watch a Bills pick that didn't happen

* That is all......carry on

And then I couldn't sleep after and had to take a sleeping pill and I overslept my alarm clock. I had to take a sick day.  Thanks Beane!

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

So not to split hairs but they moved up over a full round trading the 4th for a 3rd....133 to 95, so 38 spots

• Like (+1) 1