Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

5 hours ago, section122 said:

In your example you get starter level players but not difference makers to pair with your wr.  A 4 million corner and 2 million dt are bargain players and possible liabilities.  

The thought process behind @Kirby Jackson's idea is that in the divisional round, the cheap CB and DT will probably give us as much production as the expensive CB and DT that we've already paid. Whereas the top WR will vastly out perform Trent Sherfield (and probably Diggs too for that matter).

I don't know if I'm alone on this but I'm evaluating every possible draft option under the assumption that the defense will underperform in the playoffs pretty much no matter what. That's what history tells us will happen. So just about anything that moves resources from the defense to the offense, I am going to support.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, DJB said:

To me, that is not necessarily an indicator of success for WR’s. A big part of why many of the top receivers don’t sign a second contract, is because they are very successful and become too expensive for the team that drafted them to retain them. 

All the more reason to get a top WR in the first round, to have that extra year on their rookie deal.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, finn said:

Wow, just 27% of WRs are signed to a second contract. Does this argue for moving up or NOT moving up? 

I wonder how many WRs aren't signed to second contracts because they are traded or because signing them to a second contract is cost prohibitive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The Saints, which had meaningful OT concerns to start with, just saw their LG retire.  I wonder if this is the straw that broke the camel's back and they revert from being very aggressive in the draft to wanting to trade back.  If so, they could be an interesting spot to get to.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I wonder how many WRs aren't signed to second contracts because they are traded or because signing them to a second contract is cost prohibitive.

I agree. The truly elite WR’s are retained. Many are good/ very good but the cost inflation at the WR position makes it more attractive to draft another one. Those cost controlled years are valuable. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

To me, that is not necessarily an indicator of success for WR’s. A big part of why many of the top receivers don’t sign a second contract, is because they are very successful and become too expensive for the team that drafted them to retain them. 

All the more reason to get a top WR in the first round, to have that extra year on their rookie deal.  

Thank you. That chart has so many things wrong with it. One could interpret that thing so many misleading ways.

17 minutes ago, finn said:

Wow, just 27% of WRs are signed to a second contract. Does this argue for moving up or NOT moving up? 

I guess its Center or bust this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

F them picks.  If you make a massive move just go all the way.  Get Marvin Harrison.  Safest pick in the draft. 

If they are making a move all this talk about Udunze could be the smoke screen for trying to get Harrison. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

were worried that the strategy would then be winning with the offense?

we have the #2 QB in the nfl, one whos never had a fully dynamic offense around him like weve seen Mahomes have some years (not this year)

its 2024 where the NFL as a whole is driven by offense

adding a nasty WR to Josh is not 1 + 1 = 2

theres a synergy where the goal, if trading up, is 1 + 1 = 10

offense is at a rules advantage versus the defense league wide. this is the strategy we SHOULD be feeding into. not all the resources should go to the offense, but your top resources should

I’m talking about not trading two 1st plus for 1 WR.  I don’t disagree that receivers have become more important, but I still don’t agree that defense doesn’t matter - especially pass rush and DBs

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

F them picks.  If you make a massive move just go all the way.  Get Marvin Harrison.  Safest pick in the draft. 

We won’t have any draft picks until he’s on his second contract. 😋

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

See post upthread about my pondering the value of Jefferson.  I realize the goal in maintaining salary structure, etc., but it’s possible that at some point there’s more value in trading for the big ticket, established wideout than there is on spending a fortune in draft capital on a likely, but still uncertain, if-come. 

But it doesn't just have to be J Jeff.  The point where there is more value in a veteran as good as Diggs vs what it costs in draft capital for one of the big three.

It is one of the interesting subplots to me.  The real potential to swing a trade for a veteran. 

I don't think the disgruntled divas looking for a big payday offer good value though - they take draft capital and money.  That makes J Jeff/Aiyuk/Higgins/Sutton undesirable. 

More in tune to offering value are the veteran players that are no longer in the teams plans, as they look to move to get younger.  So Tenn/Tampa/Seattle/Chicago could be possible reasonable trading partners for Dhop/C Godwin/D Metcalf/K Allen or DJ Moore

At least one of the pluses of mortgaging the future is that EJ Manuel won't be throwing the new shiny WR the ball. 

My God, it's like a different Solar system going from Manuel to Allen. 🤣

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

We won’t have any draft picks until he’s on his second contract. 😋

If we have a SB I’m good with that 

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

At least one of the pluses of mortgaging the future is that EJ Manuel won't be throwing the new shiny WR the ball. 

EJ and Josh have one thing in common, neither one of them knows how to slide. 😋

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Hospitality tents are safe again 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m talking about not trading two 1st plus for 1 WR.  I don’t disagree that receivers have become more important, but I still don’t agree that defense doesn’t matter - especially pass rush and DBs

You’re right!  We should stick with what has worked.  I’m all on board for staying at 28 and drafting the best defensive player available.  Our defense is what carries us every year, especially in the playoffs vs the Chiefs! 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, BabyBills said:

The Saints, which had meaningful OT concerns to start with, just saw their LG retire.  I wonder if this is the straw that broke the camel's back and they revert from being very aggressive in the draft to wanting to trade back.  If so, they could be an interesting spot to get to.

Are they like 14ish?

Would you trade that much capital for Brian Thomas?

As I would assume the big 3 WRs would be well gone by then.

Personally I hope bills move into early 20s and draft BT, 14-16 may be a bit rich  IMO

40 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You’re right!  We should stick with what has worked.  I’m all on board for staying at 28 and drafting the best defensive player available.  Our defense is what carries us every year, especially in the playoffs vs the Chiefs! 

That’s how the old timers think

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I understand the sarcasm, but it isn’t rational to say “they had a good defense and fell just short, so defense doesn’t matter “.  I would note that the two Super Bowl teams had outstanding defenses and the winner didn’t exactly have the best group of receivers.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Well, the Bills D has a built in excuse for their latest failure against the Chiefs in the playoffs. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I understand the sarcasm, but it isn’t rational to say “they had a good defense and fell just short, so defense doesn’t matter “.  I would note that the two Super Bowl teams had outstanding defenses and the winner didn’t exactly have the best group of receivers.

This is true but the winner has arguably the greatest TE to ever play the game and a true game changer for Mahomes to rely on. With Diggs in Houston the Bills need a #1 WR to help take the pressure of Kincaid and give Allen another weapon to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This is true but the winner has arguably the greatest TE to ever play the game and a true game changer for Mahomes to rely on. With Diggs in Houston the Bills need a #1 WR to help take the pressure of Kincaid and give Allen another weapon to work with.

And you think it's realistic for a rookie to immediately step into that role as a #1?  Even if we got a chance of one of top 3 that's a big expectation.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mikey152 said:

To clarify...

Legal formation only requires that 7 players are on the LOS (behind ball and infront of centers belt) at the time the ball is snapped. The furthest from the ball (the end) on either side are eligible receivers...hence tight and split end. Everyone else is a back and doesn't have to be on the line and doesn't need to reset after motion.  

So if you have two TE in the game, and they both line up on the line...the rest of your eligible receivers don't have to. They can be anywhere on the LOS, so long as it is opposite sides. It's the beauty of the two TE look. Now I have posters saying Kincaid can't play TE? He's just a big slot? Then he was a waste of a pick...I also think that's a trash opinion, but whatever.

Kincaid OL OL OL OL OL Knox     

Samuel                                  Josh                           Shakir

Cook

Is a legal formation

I think you're kind of missing the point, but I don't have energy to work on this, sorry!

34 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Are they like 14ish?

Would you trade that much capital for Brian Thomas?

As I would assume the big 3 WRs would be well gone by then.

Personally I hope bills move into early 20s and draft BT, 14-16 may be a bit rich  IMO

Yeah, the Saints have the 14th pick

One thing I'm pretty certain of is that the draft seldom goes the way we expect it to.  Seems to me in 2018 we had people saying like, the first 5 or 6 picks would all be QBs

Well, they weren't

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

And you think it's realistic for a rookie to immediately step into that role as a #1?  Even if we got a chance of one of top 3 that's a big expectation.

You never know. Some WR's dominate right away. Take Garrett Wilson for example and he didn't have a QB. I am guessing the Bills passing game will revolve around Kincaid now anyway. The Bills will need a #1 WR. I bet no matter who they get they will have a good year with Allen as their QB.

14 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Yes but there are simply not any prospects to help raise this D to that level in this draft. Besides maybe a rotational d lineman and a safety to groom this is the year to hit offense hard. Next year they can double team the defense with free agents and the draft.

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

You never know. Some WR's dominate right away. Take Garrett Wilson for example and he didn't have a QB. I am guessing the Bills passing game will revolve around Kincaid now anyway. The Bills will need a #1 WR. I bet no matter who they get they will have a good year with Allen as their QB.

Wilson also didn't compete with a Kincaid for targets or a Shakir or Samuel or Cooks. More than not WR who have great rookie stats are guys who are the only guy to throw to. I mean Nijigma-Smith was the 3rd WR on depth chart but didn't put up the numbers that Zay Flowers did. Was it a lack of skill or opportunity? Honestly any rookie that comes in is likely not.going to get the 160 targets Diggs got no matter how good a project they are. I fully expect our rookie WR to get between 80-100 targets at best. I want a big X like most but know that no matter who we draft he likely be 3rd or 4th best pass catcher we have in 2024.

Edited by The Jokeman