Adonai Mitchell - name cracks me up

1 hour ago, Mr Info said:

Perhaps Mr. Brimley should have taken his own advice more seriously. 

Give the guy a break.  He is only 17 in this picture and has plenty of time to get it under control.

5 hours ago, Dat said:

Hmmm…Now that I think about it, I have called lots of Bills player “Jesus Christ” while watching games over the years.
Then baptize something.

you are better than me

i typically call them:

Jesus Effin Christ

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

That one is a double whammy.  

You pointed out the obvious one but it is also pronounced “Hey, Zeus”.  It’s as if you’re buddies with Zeus and putting yourself on a level with him.  

Excited Will Ferrell GIF

10 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Having been raised in the Jewish faith this name never fails to crack me up.  "Adonai" is Hebrew for "God" and religious Jews are so careful of observing the commandment of not taking God's name in vain, they actually won't say this word unless engaged in formal prayer.  In other cases they substitute the word Hashem which means "the name."

I can't wait until he catches a Hail Mary pass.

I thought adonai was "my Lord" 

And the Hebrews replaced the word, That can never be uttered..  the true name of the Lord... With Adonai 

And used adonai in synagogue ritual

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, pkwwjd said:

Adonai is actually not the formal name of God that the Jewish faith refuses to say, out of respect for His name. Adonai is actually the name for the Lord that the Jewish faith substitutes for the name revealed to Moses at the burning bush. What we have in the book of Exodus is simply the Hebrew letters that transliterate as YHWH (often anglicized as Yahweh, but we literally aren't sure how it would have been pronounced as the vowel points have been lost to time). Another word, Jehovah, was the rough mixing of the consonants from YHWH (JHVH) and the vowels from Adonai. Jehovah is not a "real" word but has been used as the "name" of the Lord.

Y'all are all good using Adonai.

What do you mean by that? 

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I came for the jokes on this thread and left with a degree in Theology. 

But it's not accredited.

45 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I thought adonai was "my Lord" 

And the Hebrews replaced the word, That can never be uttered..  the true name of the Lord... With Adonai 

And used adonai in synagogue ritual

I thought way back in the day, they replaced YHWH (YaWeh sounding, meaning Jehovah) with Adonai... but that was back when the Bible was being written, I think.

Edited by Prospector

4 minutes ago, Prospector said:

But it's not accredited.

I thought way back in the day, they replaced YHWH (YaWeh sounding, meaning Jehovah) with Adonai... but that was back when the Bible was being written, I think.

Possibly been a while... 

I know YHWH was the unspeakable name

10 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Having been raised in the Jewish faith this name never fails to crack me up.  "Adonai" is Hebrew for "God" and religious Jews are so careful of observing the commandment of not taking God's name in vain, they actually won't say this word unless engaged in formal prayer.  In other cases they substitute the word Hashem which means "the name."

I believe that Adonai actually means "lord."  In the Old Testament/Jewish scriptures there are instances where "lord" is used in reference to persons.  The word for God in Hebrew is "El" (singular) or "Elohim" (plural).  Then there is the name for God in Hebrew, which is sometimes called the "tetragram" because it consists of four consonants.  Jews do not say it out of reverence.  Most English translations of the Old Testament do not use the English transliteration of the name of God out of deference to Jewish tradition.  Instead it is rendered in translations as "LORD" all in upper case letters to distinguish it from "Adonai."

8 hours ago, boyst said:

i honestly don't even know how to pronounce it.

is it Ad-on-ay? Adon-aye? A-done-yay? A-done-knee-ya? A-aron?

Number two is probably closest. 

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Raised in the Catholic faith, I was always surprised by the Latin American baseball players named Jesus, as in one of the Alou brothers. Just another one of those head scratchers seen throughout the years.

Actually, the name "Joshua" has the same roots and means the same thing - "God is salvation."

8 hours ago, pkwwjd said:

Adonai is actually not the formal name of God that the Jewish faith refuses to say, out of respect for His name. Adonai is actually the name for the Lord that the Jewish faith substitutes for the name revealed to Moses at the burning bush. What we have in the book of Exodus is simply the Hebrew letters that transliterate as YHWH (often anglicized as Yahweh, but we literally aren't sure how it would have been pronounced as the vowel points have been lost to time). Another word, Jehovah, was the rough mixing of the consonants from YHWH (JHVH) and the vowels from Adonai. Jehovah is not a "real" word but has been used as the "name" of the Lord.

Y'all are all good using Adonai.

I agree with most of this.  I think "Jehovah" comes from the fact that "yhwh" got translated to Greek in the Septuagint and then from Greek to English.  the intermediate language resulted in its corruption, but enough people use it that I don't think you can dismiss it as a word.  After all it is frequent usage that results in and arrangement of letters gaining recognition as a word.

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

That one is a double whammy.  

You pointed out the obvious one but it is also pronounced “Hey, Zeus”.  It’s as if you’re buddies with Zeus and putting yourself on a level with him.  

It's actually not pronounced like that that's an English thing like Jor-Hay for Jorge.

8 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve often thought this was gravely misunderstood. You’re not supposed to take/use the Lord’s name in vain. It doesn’t say that you cannot say his name. So you are not supposed to use the Lord to swear/promise/threaten anyone, as if you have some authority over what God does or doesn’t do. Nor are you to tempt the Lord to do anything. It’s perfectly fine however to say his name in worship and adoration. 

Would being named "God" possibley be considered a little vain or no?

10 hours ago, boyst said:

i honestly don't even know how to pronounce it.

is it Ad-on-ay? Adon-aye? A-done-yay? A-done-knee-ya? A-aron?

Amy Grant released a very popular Christian song “El Shaddai” in 1982. It includes the name Adonai. She pronounced it “ah-doe-nigh”.   Adonai Mitchell’s parents may have heard “El Shaddai” on the radio or at church. I know I did. 

• Agree 4

My real first name supposedly means     “God like” so I got that going for me, 😁🍸🚬

We need Key and Peele to give us the correct pronunciation. 

Watch, his parents will be like “We wanted to name him Donald, but that’s too common.
So we decided on “A Donny” or Adonai”

1 hour ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

Amy Grant released a very popular Christian song “El Shaddai” in 1982. It includes the name Adonai. She pronounced it “ah-doe-nigh”.   Adonai Mitchell’s parents may have heard “El Shaddai” on the radio or at church. I know I did. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Lots more good theologians on this board than guys who actually understand football.

Having a little knowledge about the Bible and the Judeo/Christian religion does not preclude also having some knowledge about football and the Bills.

20 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Amen 🙏🏻 !!!

On 4/17/2024 at 3:40 AM, Dan Darragh said:

OJ Simpson, not a Jew. 

On 4/17/2024 at 3:34 PM, Ponch said:

What do you mean by that? 

I mean that "Jehovah" was contrived from the consonants of YHWH and the vowels of Adonai (and dragged through a couple languages other than English). It's now a "word" ... but it literally does not appear in the original languages.