Could Elam be packaged in a trade up?

I'm not ready to toss him to the curb. The bigger question I have is why we can't play man against teams when we need to? After hearing a recent presser from McD,

I believe we're gonna see some changes in defensive adaptation this year. Something I thought we might never see with McD.....although he's worlds better than Frazier.

Edited by nosejob

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder about Spencer Brown as a possible trade piece. I wonder what he would be worth. 

He’s a FA after this season, which limits his value unless the acquiring team is sure they can extend.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ayjent said:

It was all there if you watched the games. He played well against a couple of good WRs and teams fell in love with what he could be instead of what he was.  Terrible tackler, inconsistent in coverage, capable of getting completely lost in scheme.  I thought he was being overvalued a lot in pre draft and was absolutely shocked when Bills took him. I watch all UF games and I wasn’t a fan of his game.  I had hope that maybe it was just Mullen’s terrible staff that was the issue and talked myself into the pick trusting Beane.  He played decent in yr 1 at times, but the chance he develops is slim at this point.  Maybe it was hubris with the Bills staff and FO.  There just isn’t much of a place for him other than outside CB and the Bills don’t trust him there. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/KdTvwJmB5KMqzfJG/?mibextid=oFDknk

9 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Spencer has actual value IMO.  We did it with Cordy Glenn. Perhaps Spencer gets us from 28 to 13-16ish if we add a 2025 4th

Or he could be used in a package to NYG

I'm curious why everyone is now mentioning trading Brown?

We finally have a legit T combo (solid OL in general), Brown is young and still hasn't reached his ceiling.  With plenty of 2025 cap space, I'd expect we re-sign him longterm.

Who starts for Brown if he's traded?  Collins???  He didn't play LY/might be a camp body only, now we expect him to protect Josh?  Didn't we see what happened when Quessenberry experiment failed?

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder about Spencer Brown as a possible trade piece. I wonder what he would be worth. 

See above.  How does this improve our team? Who starts at RT?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yet in limited time he has two playoff INTs - one in 2022 and one in 2023. Benford zero. Douglas zero. How can a guy who can make plays not be taught zone coverage?????

You might recall he had a playoff interception 2 plays after he had a DPI (a real DPI, shown on replay as "yep, that's legit DPI, no question") that gave Pittsburgh a 1D on the Buffalo 4 yd line.

That's sort of the story of Elam.  He can do good things - he had 2 INT in his first 6 games - but he can also "fail" in coverage, and he can go for the INT at the expense of proper technique in coverage.

Benford was injured and inactive for our playoff games in 2022 and played 13 snaps before going out with injury vs. Pittsburgh (didn't play against KC), so why would you call him out for not having INT in games he didn't play?

Douglas played 1 of 2 games.  He was active (but playing hurt) against KC

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Me too. I wonder if we could get a 3rd for him.

You'll get a 6th and you'll like it.

He has zero value. 

You might be able to straight up trade him for Treylon Burks or some other player who hasn't panned out for another team, but that's pretty much it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That would be ironic, to trade Brown just when he's showing his potential, after years of him serving as a 6'8" swing gate.

No, if I'm Beane, I'm looking hard at trading Milano of all people. He's very expensive, 30 years old, we have a replacement in place with upside in Williams, and he's one of the few players on the roster who could garner a first-round pick in return. Continue the younger and cheaper trend and use that pick to trade up for Nabers. 

9 minutes ago, finn said:

That would be ironic, to trade Brown just when he's showing his potential, after years of him serving as a 6'8" swing gate.

No, if I'm Beane, I'm looking hard at trading Milano of all people. He's very expensive, 30 years old, we have a replacement in place with upside in Williams, and he's one of the few players on the roster who could garner a first-round pick in return. Continue the younger and cheaper trend and use that pick to trade up for Nabers. 

I mean he only had 2 injured seasons before breaking out his 3rd year. We never gave him a chance before calling him a bust.

But I only thought about it because they brought in that OT from Arizona for a visit. I personally think Brown will sign an extension shortly.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, finn said:

How much of a difference to BTJ? Is it another Chase/Jefferson thing?

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know he’s on the last year of his contract, but why? He was outstanding last year. And who on the this roster would replace him? I expect the Bills to resign him to along term deal unless I’m missing something ?

25 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

I know he’s on the last year of his contract, but why? He was outstanding last year. And who on the this roster would replace him? I expect the Bills to resign him to along term deal unless I’m missing something ?

I think they’ll extend him also. But it is a great OT draft if they want to get a cost controlled RT for 4 more years.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yet in limited time he has two playoff INTs - one in 2022 and one in 2023. Benford zero. Douglas zero. How can a guy who can make plays not be taught zone coverage?????

Consistency is the issue.  He’s getting thrown at bc he isn’t consistent and there are big plays to have against him.  That’s why he is on the bench if the staff has an option.  It’s why they went out and got Douglas and resigned him.  I’m a Gator and I’d love for him to play well, but so far he hasn’t shown the ability to be trusted to be a solid starter. 

12 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Here are the 5 worse secondaries from last year ranked.

#28 Colts

#29 Giants

#30 Cardinals

#31 Raiders

#32 Bears

if so it would soften the compensation it would take to move up with any of these teams. How Elam’s value is perceived is something I’d be curious to know. 

12 hours ago, uticaclub said:

He has little to no value at this point, better to keep him and see if he turns the corner for us.

Honestly, it is interesting to consider, but at the end of the day Utica is spot on with this one.

Man, at this stage and with where he is at so far a team would be insanely stupid to even give a 5th for him.  However...here...well, let's see what might happen.

Go Bills.

12 hours ago, uticaclub said:

He has little to no value at this point, better to keep him and see if he turns the corner for us.

Not true, he absolutely has value.  You all said nobody would trade for Tyrod and we got the first pick in the 3rd for him.  

Personally, I think Elam still has value to the team and could come in a compete to start again with him being healthy, Tre being gone, and Benford coming off injury.  

But if we did trade him, he would absolutely have value especially to a team who plays a style of defense that better fits his skill set.  He was a first round pick on a team that plays a different style than his strengths were, that won’t kill his value.  

• Disagree 1

I'm still hoping the injury last year was legit and not just an excuse because there were times in his rookie year where he looked like he was really improving. Might just be my bills bias though 

• Like (+1) 3

getting a 3rd for him might happen, Bean could perhaps work that.  He has flashed great athletic ability and has 2 INTs in the few games he played, including a nice one last post season v. Steelers.  

• Disagree 2

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

What makes you think that?

I think he has some ability.  Once he got comfortable in the playoff game against the Steelers, he made some plays.  He had a nice pick.  

Hopefully Rasul can take him under his wing, and teach him the nuances of being a CB in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think they’ll extend him also. But it is a great OT draft if they want to get a cost controlled RT for 4 more years.

Got ya just thinking with C/G change then RT might be disruptive. I’m tracking you on the cost control side of it and I see that angle. 

9 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I think he has some ability.  Once he got comfortable in the playoff game against the Steelers, he made some plays.  He had a nice pick.  

Hopefully Rasul can take him under his wing, and teach him the nuances of being a CB in the NFL.  

I get that people want to find something good about Elam’s performance to indicate improvement. And it was the last game we saw him in since he didn’t play against KC. But I can’t get excited about one game against Mason Rudolph. Again, hang onto him, coach him up, hope for the best, but anything we get from him is a bonus to me. 

• Agree 2

What I suspect will happen is that Beane will package this years's first rounder, the second rounder next year we got for Diggs (the pick is from the Vikes who will likely suck so it will be nearly a first rounder) plus Elam, to get high enough to replace Diggs with the guy Beane really wants.  That would be almost three first rounders to move up to maybe the mid-teens in the first round.  I think if Beane has a trade partner ready to take that deal, he'll wait to see if the player he wants is available, and then he'll pull the string.

35 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I get that people want to find something good about Elam’s performance to indicate improvement. And it was the last game we saw him in since he didn’t play against KC. But I can’t get excited about one game against Mason Rudolph. Again, hang onto him, coach him up, hope for the best, but anything we get from him is a bonus to me. 

Well teams try and attack a weak link in a defense and Elam made plays. That’s certainly something to be excited over regardless of the team and QB. 

Another guy with almost no trade value. Right now he could be traded for a 6th probably.

He has more value on the team. Maybe he'll play well the next couple of years. Then he'll have trade value.

I'm hoping that being fully healthy this season & showing some flashes that he has when playing that the switch will turn on & he will become the player they thought he would be & our secondary will be as strong or better for it with him coming around !! 

• Like (+1) 1

My hope (not based on any evidence) is that he's the next Eric Moulds. Moulds sucked his first two seasons because he was lost out there but blossomed to one of the best receivers in the league in his third season. Moulds was a physical specimen, and so is Elam. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/11/2024 at 2:05 PM, 27yanks said:

Put him at free safety and have him play deep, like in the 2nd or 3rd row seats.

Or, in your case, murderers row. ;)

9 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

The first time this guy gets off the bench last year, in a playoff game, he picks off a pass. Huge play. And people want to give up on him? How about we get some good coaching and coach him up?

He came off the bench.  He's a first rounder. You call out one play he made and you say coach him up.

He doesn't fit here. I think he something to offer, just not here.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Or, in your case, murderers row. ;)

He came off the bench.  He's a first rounder. You call out one play he made and you say coach him up.

He doesn't fit here. I think he something to offer, just not here.

But what are you getting for him? Don’t trade him just to get anything, that’s ludicrous. He’s on a rookie deal at a position of need-that being said he was on the bench, he was inactive, and he was on IR last year…so what could they possibly get for him? His trade value has never been lower and will never be lower