Could Elam be packaged in a trade up?

Here are the 5 worse secondaries from last year ranked.

#28 Colts

#29 Giants

#30 Cardinals

#31 Raiders

#32 Bears

if so it would soften the compensation it would take to move up with any of these teams. How Elam’s value is perceived is something I’d be curious to know. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

I had high hopes for Kaiir, but he has not shown a darn thing in this league. He may still be developed, but I doubt he’s shown enough to get much of anything in terms of a move up in the first round.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I had high hopes for Kaiir, but he has not shown a darn thing in this league. He may still be developed, but I doubt he’s shown enough to get much of anything in terms of a move up in the first round.

Me too. I wonder if we could get a 3rd for him.

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

He has little to no value at this point, better to keep him and see if he turns the corner for us.

I agree with this. Another team would have to be willing to take on his guaranteed contract. $4.5M total for 2024 & 2025. That makes it tough because they’d be stuck with that if he didn’t work out. That really tanks his value. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

Here are the 5 worse secondaries from last year ranked.

#28 Colts

#29 Giants

#30 Cardinals

#31 Raiders

#32 Bears

if so it would soften the compensation it would take to move up with any of these teams. How Elam’s value is perceived is something I’d be curious to know. 

I think this is one of these things where, "if you don't think enough of your 2022 1st round pick to play him in in more than half the games, and you're already giving up and willing to trade him, we don't think enough of him that we're willing to give you very much"

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Spencer has actual value IMO.  We did it with Cordy Glenn. Perhaps Spencer gets us from 28 to 13-16ish if we add a 2025 4th

Or he could be used in a package to NYG

Fact: Cordy Glenn, who was an established starting LT before previous season injury and IR, moved us up 9 spots from 21 to 12, WITH a same year 5th round pick thrown in (and a 6th back as change).

Fact: Brown is not a LT, and a 2025 4th is considered devalued to approximate a 2025 5th. 

I don't think you're gonna see Brown get you 12 spots. 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Elam and 28 for 33

Huh?

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Spencer has actual value IMO.  We did it with Cordy Glenn. Perhaps Spencer gets us from 28 to 13-16ish if we add a 2025 4th

I never thought of Brown being traded. He’s young with a cheap contract and upside. If we need to trade up he could be a legitimate pawn. Good insight Warrior 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

What makes you think that?

I'm not Firebaugh Kid, but I thought he showed flashes when he played towards the end of 2022 season when Benford was injured.

So I don't think the "Fat Lady" has sung yet, but I don't think other GMs are gonna give much either.

4 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

Huh?

He's saying Elam would have negative value in a trade.  It would de-value our pick to the 2nd round to package Elam with it.

Wise guys.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not Firebaugh Kid, but I thought he showed flashes when he played towards the end of 2022 season when Benford was injured.

So I don't think the "Fat Lady" has sung yet, but I don't think other GMs are gonna give much either.

He's saying Elam would have negative value in a trade.  It would de-value our pick to the 2nd round to package Elam with it.

Wise guys.

Ok haha

The guy does well in straight man coverage but he screws up in zone and when he has to make adjustments.

Maybe he'll eventually learn but at this point he'd only have value to a team that plays straight man as a base D.

This is the NFL so I doubt there are any teams that do that.

He wasn't a first round pick. What mystifies me is why his shortcomings weren't apparent from film or scouting.  Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Actually this draft is suppose to be heavy with OL so this makes a ton of sense. Nice point. I don’t think that if Beane were to trade up it would be just solely just draft pick(s). I could see a player or maybe even 2 used in trading up coupled with pick(s). Thanks for the input.

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

He has little to no value at this point, better to keep him and see if he turns the corner for us.

That’s the play. He’s in his rookie contract and was talented enough to be a first round pick. New DB coach so it’s this year or bust. Only would make sense in a player trade for a player who also was drafted high and has struggled. Like WR Marshall from Carolina. But I’m for keeping him as trade value is so low. 

• Like (+1) 1

Drafting a man press corner who struggles in zone in the first round to play in your zone heavy scheme is still one of the dumbest investments ever. The whole point of playing heavy zone principles is that you can get away with guys who are not blue chip prospects and athletes…guys you can get later in the draft. Benford 6th, Dane Jackson 7th, Levi Wallace UDFA, Rasul Douglas 3rd. Tre was a high draft pick but he was elite in zone. Richard Sherman, 5th…you can find these guys and they don’t have to run in the 4.4s. Josh Norman who was so good in Carolina, a great zone corner…5th round. This Elam thing still makes zero sense to this day. His value is likely almost nothing. Maybe they can get the Giants to do something like Elam and a 4th and a 5th for the Giants 3rd. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The Bills aren’t trading Elam.  They didn’t extended Douglas for a reason.  That reason, I believe, is that they want to see how Elam develops this season before writing him off.  If Elam develops, Elam steps in for Douglas in 2025, if not they can re-sign Douglas, draft a replacement or sign someone else.  

That said, don’t be surprised if they draft someone in the 4th rd as insurance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Old Coot said:

The guy does well in straight man coverage but he screws up in zone and when he has to make adjustments.

Maybe he'll eventually learn but at this point he'd only have value to a team that plays straight man as a base D.

This is the NFL so I doubt there are any teams that do that.

He wasn't a first round pick. What mystifies me is why his shortcomings weren't apparent from film or scouting.  Any thoughts?

It was all there if you watched the games. He played well against a couple of good WRs and teams fell in love with what he could be instead of what he was.  Terrible tackler, inconsistent in coverage, capable of getting completely lost in scheme.  I thought he was being overvalued a lot in pre draft and was absolutely shocked when Bills took him. I watch all UF games and I wasn’t a fan of his game.  I had hope that maybe it was just Mullen’s terrible staff that was the issue and talked myself into the pick trusting Beane.  He played decent in yr 1 at times, but the chance he develops is slim at this point.  Maybe it was hubris with the Bills staff and FO.  There just isn’t much of a place for him other than outside CB and the Bills don’t trust him there. 

Elam is such a mystery. Prototypical physical build and talent/skills, along with an excellent work ethic (or so we heard when he was drafted), yet he can't get on the field. Is zone coverage and tackling really that hard to learn? What is going on there? 

Anyway, I say keep him just in case a new DB coach can help turn the light on for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Unfortunately, we're stuck with this boat anchor........nobody's going to want him, and his value is rock bottom.

I don't blame Elam, i blame our FO for trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I figured that was probably it. He did flash, but his issues showed up consistently too. It doesn’t make any sense to cut or trade him at this time because we’re paying him either way and there’s still a chance that things will click for him. It’s not likely, but it’s not like we have other CBs pushing him off the roster either. 

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

It was all there if you watched the games. He played well against a couple of good WRs and teams fell in love with what he could be instead of what he was.  Terrible tackler, inconsistent in coverage, capable of getting completely lost in scheme.  I thought he was being overvalued a lot in pre draft and was absolutely shocked when Bills took him. I watch all UF games and I wasn’t a fan of his game.  I had hope that maybe it was just Mullen’s terrible staff that was the issue and talked myself into the pick trusting Beane.  He played decent in yr 1 at times, but the chance he develops is slim at this point.  Maybe it was hubris with the Bills staff and FO.  There just isn’t much of a place for him other than outside CB and the Bills don’t trust him there. 

Yet in limited time he has two playoff INTs - one in 2022 and one in 2023. Benford zero. Douglas zero. How can a guy who can make plays not be taught zone coverage?????