Trade Targets for Bills (WR)

Now that Diggs is in Houston, WR is an especially big hole on this team. I'm personally in favor of utilizing the draft to shore this position up. Trading up for an elite guy (the most unrealistic option) such as Nabers, would be my ideal option, but even moving up a few picks into the early 20's for a Brian Thomas Jr. or AD Mitchell would work. 

However - would anyone be interested in the Bills trading for an established player and allowing the draft to fall to them? If so, what WR's do you think would be possible, productive, and available?

My vote would be Davante Adams. Per Spotrac he has a cap hit of just under 17 mil and an out in his contract after this season (voidable years I believe) that would help with the comp pick formula. Adams doesn't want to go through a rebuild with the Raiders (I'm in Vegas and this is a known "rumor") and wants to finally win. championship. Thoughts on this or any other WRs?

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, RunninRebel37 said:

Now that Diggs is in Houston, WR is an especially big hole on this team. I'm personally in favor of utilizing the draft to shore this position up. Trading up for an elite guy (the most unrealistic option) such as Nabers, would be my ideal option, but even moving up a few picks into the early 20's for a Brian Thomas Jr. or AD Mitchell would work. 

However - would anyone be interested in the Bills trading for an established player and allowing the draft to fall to them? If so, what WR's do you think would be possible, productive, and available?

My vote would be Davante Adams. Per Spotrac he has a cap hit of just under 17 mil and an out in his contract after this season (voidable years I believe) that would help with the comp pick formula. Adams doesn't want to go through a rebuild with the Raiders (I'm in Vegas and this is a known "rumor") and wants to finally win. championship. Thoughts on this or any other WRs?

He’s incredible but he’s 31. We need to think long term. 3-5 years at least. 

If we use up our picks and take on a huge contract it should be for someone younger like Jefferson or Aiyuk. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd rather target a player in his prime still on a rookie contract or with a reasonable 2nd contract that is outperforming it and their current team doesn't want to pay him.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Rebel, with what $ on Adams. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea if we had cap space.  We need an established WR and also trade up in the draft.  We basically have $10 mil. In June.  That’s why I suggested OBJ as we don’t have to trade for him, amd he wouldn’t be that expensive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Rebel, with what $ on Adams. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea if we had cap space.  We need an established WR and also trade up in the draft.  We basically have $10 mil. In June.  That’s why I suggested OBJ as we don’t have to trade for him, amd he wouldn’t be that expensive.

I would absolutely hate that idea.  He is not even an average wr. 1400 yds receiving with 11tds over the past 4 years combined is horrific. Any rookie especially in the first two rounds would surpass that. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we are looking for cost control.  

Agree. It's time to build up for that next run and the way you do that is by adding young talent through the draft at smaller contracts.

Why anyone would give up draft assets for a WR with this class staring them in the face is truly baffling. If WR is deemed that big a need..take 2 early.

Josh showed last year he no longer needs that big name target hog on the outside as a security blanket. He played his best football last year by being able to spread the ball around IMO. Lean into that. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Hadn't thought of D Adams.  Obviously would be excited but I think the addition of a WR that requires both a lot of draft capital and money is unlikely.  The others in this category J Jefferson/Aiyuk/and Higgins.  Getting one of these top WRs is great for 2024 but would hurt the fit/development/room of a rookie WR

FA Veterans, or those on a short term deal, would pair well with a young good rookie that I would like to see the Bills try ad draft.

Dhop shouldn't take much and could fit that description.  He could be paired with standing still at 28 and taking a WR that could take a year to take over.

OBJ as a veteran could come without draft capital, same with M Thomas - but those two are IMO worse than Diggs IMO.  They could be paired with a move up to get BTJ though.

1 hour ago, <bills4life> said:

I would absolutely hate that idea.  He is not even an average wr. 1400 yds receiving with 11tds over the past 4 years combined is horrific. Any rookie especially in the first two rounds would surpass that. 

He’s not that bad now. Watching him with the Ravens he would be a rich man’s Emmanuel Sanders circa 2021. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I’d rather get our guys from the draft but if we were to trade give me Aiyuk.

phenomenal route runner, fast/explosive and entering his prime.

But a new contract with him would be $25m+ a year deal and he would cost a 1st rounder at a minimum

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

He’s incredible but he’s 31. We need to think long term. 3-5 years at least. 

If we use up our picks and take on a huge contract it should be for someone younger like Jefferson or Aiyuk. 

I haven’t watched a ton of 49ers football, but Aiyuk doesn’t seem like someone who really takes a game over and dominates like Justin Jefferson. I could be wrong. But I would be disappointed if we gave a boatload of picks and a big contract up for someone like Aiyuk

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

He’s not that bad now. Watching him with the Ravens he would be a rich man’s Emmanuel Sanders circa 2021. 

Bills already signed a pair of aging journeymen 600 yard a season guys who will be around for a year.....

1 minute ago, VaMilBill said:

I haven’t watched a ton of 49ers football, but Aiyuk doesn’t seem like someone who really takes a game over and dominates like Justin Jefferson. I could be wrong. But I would be disappointed if we gave a boatload of picks and a big contract up for someone like Aiyuk

I actually agree. He strikes me as a mid-level WR1 who wants to be paid like a top level WR1. More of a McLaurin or Ridley level receiver. 

Better than anything we have now, but still. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Replace one prima donna with another?

• Thank you (+1) 1

No No and No too trading for any player over 30 and using precious draft capital and cap space on them.

Bills are hitting the second phase of Allen's career. Every decision they make needs to be about how do we maximize our window moving forward for the next 5 years with Allen. Not how do you desperately stay competitive year to year. Thats when teams crash and burn and can't fix their cap year to year holding on to and underperformed and injured older players. 

Now is the time to either double dip in the first two rounds of the most loaded receiver draft ever or trade for an established young receiver whose going to be an ascending asset for the next 5 to 6 seasons. A guy like Higgins or Aiyuk. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

He absolutely would. He plays on a offense that doesn't require him to and he isn't asked to because the Niners are loaded with offensive talent. Vikings are like the Diggs version of the Bills. They know if Jefferson isn't going theyre screwed so they need to feed him the ball. Good thing they got Addison.

If you traded for Aiyuk and drafted Xavier Legette you'd essentially would be replicating the Niners only you'd have Josh Allen and better oline. T. Williams is there only above avg. lineman.

Sure CMC, Kittle, Samuel would be better than Cook, Kincaid, and a hypothetical Legette but you'd also be adding Shakir and Samuel and you'd be much further ahead. The Bills have Allen which is the most difficult piece to get. The Bills could make this offense scary so fast. They really should be going full throttle to do this. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think it is going to be interesting to just see what Josh can do with some rookie talents on this team. I’m for the cost control wr and have at it that way. If it doesn’t seem to work…look at trading for a veteran next year or even at the deadline. It’s risking this season for sure but if we can strike big with a rookie this year it’s is huge for a cap and the next Super Bowl window with Josh 

• Like (+1) 3

I think we draft a guy (or two) and then potentially get involved with a Hopkins-type situation this summer if someone like that becomes available.

Im not sure I see us doing a Diggs trade all over again, but Aiyuk would be eerily similar.  

• Like (+1) 3

Why would the Bills cut their big salary WR for another big salary WR? We might add 1 more mid level veteran and then a draft pick but I highly doubt they are in on any of the big names 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

I think we draft a guy (or two) and then potentially get involved with a Hopkins-type situation this summer if someone like that becomes available.

Im not sure I see us doing a Diggs trade all over again, but Aiyuk would be eerily similar.  

I think they moved in large part because they got sick of his nonsense (scab-scratching with Josh, storming out on McDermott, chronic lateness, refusing to enter the game against NE,  idiot assistant arguing over bringing his makeup bag into the locker room, etc.), and in part because they'd rather have a cost-controlled 1 or 1A WR with Josh getting big bucks and the talent pool in this draft.  It's the way to go.  So I'm with you.  Maybe OBJ on a reasonable deal after June 1, the rookie(s) we draft, and any we go. 

• Like (+1) 2

If we still had Diggs, I think a trade into the top 10 of the draft was very small. I honestly think that is a realistic option now. It would not surprise me to see up go up to get Nabers. Joe Bascaglia mentioned this as well and still had us walking away with 9 picks in this draft even after the trade. We have 2 2nd rounders next year now so anything can happen

I’d rather draft a WR and allow him and Josh to grow together to the point that he’s a full size diva. But he’d be our own home grown diva. Rather than trading for one. I’d be all for a move to 10 or so if Odunze or Nabors falls. Or mid to high teens for Thomas Jr. However, I’m perfectly fine standing standing strong at 28 or maybe moving up 3-4 spots if they feel it’s needed to grab Mitchell, or Worthy, or Franklin. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree. It's time to build up for that next run and the way you do that is by adding young talent through the draft at smaller contracts.

Why anyone would give up draft assets for a WR with this class staring them in the face is truly baffling. If WR is deemed that big a need..take 2 early.

Josh showed last year he no longer needs that big name target hog on the outside as a security blanket. He played his best football last year by being able to spread the ball around IMO. Lean into that. 

A really good pass catching TE seems like a better security blanket for a top QB than a WR1 as the Chiefs (Kelce) and the Pats (Gronkowski) showed. More versatile in the offense and not as likely to become a diva.

Edited by SoTier

BB just cleared out cap space for 2025 by trading Diggs.   Will clear out more when Non is dropped after this season.  No way do I want to not only use draft capital in a trade for a WR, but also massive contract demands.  

I will take my chances with a 1st round WR this year, and go from there. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 6

I mentioned in the other WR thread, go grab Terrance Marshall from the Panthers. He’s big, fast and still just 23 years old. He played for Brady at LSU and was drafted for Brady’s offense in Carolina. He was given permission to seek a trade in the fall and that was before the Panthers added Diontae Johnson and David Moore. He is just buried down there for whatever reason and needs a change of scenery. I get it that he isn’t the number 1 or whatever, but he knows the offense, he is big and fast and can catch the football and there is a pedigree there. He is an outside receiver. He should also be very cheap and Dan Morgan obviously is connected to the front office here. Sometimes these guys just get buried. 

These trades for aging veterans on huge deals just isn’t going to happen. Anyone think of any other young guys buried from regime changes or trades? 

The only other young guys who are buried that I could think of are Texans John Metchie and the Browns Cedric Tillman. 

Whatever happens and whoever we add, I am still taking a 1st round receiver and I think the mid trade up for Brian Thomas makes the most sense.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

BB just cleared out cap space for 2025 by trading Diggs.   Will clear out more when Non is dropped after this season.  No way do I want to not only use draft capital in a trade for a WR, but also massive contract demands.  

I will take my chances with a 1st round WR this year, and go from there. 

I think the Bills need to either trade for a top tier young receiver or top tier young dend with Diggs cap space. The reality is, is we can afford to bring one of those positions along through the development of a rookie but not two. 

Rosseau and an established Dend with Epenesa as an immediate 3rd is way ahead of anything the Bills have had. Could you imagine if the Bills swing a Brent Burns style trade like the Giants next off season? Bills would be set at QB, both dends, and LT. arguably the 3 hardest positions to fill. 

I love cost certainty which picks bring but the Bills need a for sure hit at either the # 1 receiver or Dend spot. If the Jags come to the Bills next off season and say your 1st and a 3rd for Josh Allen (Jags Dend) The Bills need to seriously entertain that. 

Edited by HaldimandBills
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Admittedly I have not watched him. However I am totally on board for a youth movement.  I am so done with older players, ridiculous contracts, oft injured, and underperforming prima donnas that get by on name recognition and not true performance. 1 year at 11 million for obj. This might explain why we early exit each year because these guys over 30 start to break down. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SoTier said:

A really good pass catching TE seems like a better security blanket for a top QB than a WR1 as the Chiefs (Kelce) and the Pats (Gronkowski) showed. More versatile in the offense and not as likely to become a diva.

Agree. And I feel we have seen that potential with Kincaid. Year 2 I think he'll not only take steps forward, but Brady will have a much better idea of how to implement him and help him grow in his system. He had a very big 1st year by rookie TE standards. I expect a breakout if health hold up 

• Like (+1) 3

I still like DK Metlcaf.

1.  He's young. We would basically acquire him at the same age as when the Bills acquired Diggs.

2. The physical traits are still there.

3. He has one elite season under his belt back in 2020 and you could definitely make the case that that was the last time he played with a top 10 QB. 

4. He won't be WR that commands the QB's attention all the time. He's still just a 120-140 targets per season receiver. Compare that to Diggs who basically averaged 160 targets per season in his four years with the Bills. I actually think in our offense DK could be a 100-115 targets per season WR and basically produce similar to Davis but at a higher level since we have seen that DK's ceiling is a 1300 yard 10.1 ypt season. And this would allow our offense to have a balanced passing attack. I'd love to see an offense where our top 4 targeted pass catchers are all within about 15-20 targets of each other at the end of the season.

5. With a new coaching staff and no franchise QB on the roster i could see Seattle making him available. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I still like DK Metlcaf.

1.  He's young. We would basically acquire him at the same age as when the Bills acquired Diggs.

2. The physical traits are still there.

3. He has one elite season under his belt back in 2020 and you could definitely make the case that that was the last time he played with a top 10 QB. 

4. He won't be WR that commands the QB's attention all the time. He's still just a 120-140 targets per season receiver. Compare that to Diggs who basically averaged 160 targets per season in his four years with the Bills. I actually think in our offense DK could be a 100-115 targets per season WR and basically produce similar to Davis but at a higher level since we have seen that DK's ceiling is a 1300 yard 10.1 ypt season. And this would allow our offense to have a balanced passing attack. I'd love to see an offense where our top 4 targeted pass catchers are all within about 15-20 targets of each other at the end of the season.

5. With a new coaching staff and no franchise QB on the roster i could see Seattle making him available. 

Agreed.  A better more explosive version of Gabe Davis is what this offense needs.  Kincaid, Samuel and Shakir can handle the underneath and medium targets.  Draft a WR at pick 60.  Draft Dejean, Barton or D-Lineman at pick 28.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed.  A better more explosive version of Gabe Davis is what this offense needs.  Kincaid, Samuel and Shakir can handle the underneath and medium targets.  Draft a WR at pick 60.  Draft Dejean, Barton or D-Lineman at pick 28.  

I'm thinking he would likely cost us this years #2. So no WR at pick 60. I wouldn't want to give up this year's #1. So maybe pick 60 this year and one more mid round  pick next year? 

3 hours ago, RunninRebel37 said:

he was trending on twitter mai ly cause he was praising Jakobi Myers of all ppl , saying he learned so much from him. Myers did have a solid season-71/807/8

He has had similar #s since 2020. Nice signing by LV. 3/33 last year, after rookie deal was up. Could see Samuel put up similar or better numbers

Adams sounded very content in Vegas under coach Pierce 

2 hours ago, Magox said:

I’d rather get our guys from the draft but if we were to trade give me Aiyuk.

phenomenal route runner, fast/explosive and entering his prime.

But a new contract with him would be $25m+ a year deal and he would cost a 1st rounder at a minimum

Still has 1 year on rookie deal. I think a 2nd could get it done. He sounded disgruntled in SF if I'm remembering correctly 

Not a trade but DJ Chark makes sense. 6-3 200lbs runs a 4.34. 

Give your the size speed guy then draft a player early as well. But gives you flexibility in the draft in the type of WR to draft 

The draft is the logical place to find a WR. A trade giving up draft capital and also giving up money that goes against the cap would only harm the team's long term goals. This would give us a WR who is older, and keep us is cap hell instead of giving us a fighting chance to improve the team down the road. We must get younger. I don't think trading is in the cards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2