Draft Joe Milton QB from Tennessee in 5th (or 6th) round?

Was doing a mock draft and he was there in late 5th.

i like him as a Josh Allen type of back up. Could play similar style to Josh if we ever needed a backup to step in a couple games.

and sitting behind Josh a couple years…could develop into something special.

what do you think?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Eh - if he's around in the 6th, sure.

The issue is Mitch is signed as our backup with 2.71m in guarantees and a 1.5m Dead Cap hit if cut. It's not a whole lot, but I don't think they signed him to cut him. I'd expect he's pretty entrenched as our Backup for at least this season.

And with that, I don't know that we'd keep a 3rd QB on the 53. It's usually two on the 53, one on the Practice Squad. If you're using a 5th on him and cutting him to put him on the PS - there's a chance someone's just going to snag him and you've wasted a 5th Round Pick.

But if he's available in the Late 6th or 7th? Sure. Go nuts. Guys around then clear waivers all the time.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

I'd say any time you have an opportunity to draft a QB you like in the later rounds, you do it. Look at how much weight was put into any QB that got to learn behind Brady - it definitely was a net positive for the Pats. I don't see why it wouldn't be here.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

With the new rules of being able to elevate a 3rd QB from the PS on game days I actually think we might take a QB late. 

It makes sense to do so and try and develop someone 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The issue is Mitch is signed as our backup with 2.71m in guarantees and a 1.5m Dead Cap hit if cut. It's not a whole lot, but I don't think they signed him to cut him. I'd expect he's pretty entrenched as our Backup for at least this season.

And with that, I don't know that we'd keep a 3rd QB on the 53. It's usually two on the 53, one on the Practice Squad. If you're using a 5th on him and cutting him to put him on the PS - there's a chance someone's just going to snag him and you've wasted a 5th Round Pick.

But if he's available in the Late 6th or 7th? Sure. Go nuts. Guys around then clear waivers all the time.

i think he’d have to look real good in pre season to have any chance that another team is poaching him from the squad to put on their 53. Most are pretty entrenched with the top 2, if not 3.

to have 3 be a late round pick that doesn’t know your system because you added him late means you saw something in 4th quarter preseason play that you didn’t in scouting 

I’ve probably done 200 mocks at this point. I’ve taken Milton in at least half of them. To me, he’s a lottery ticket. He’s a guy that you hope flashes in the preseason. If Josh ever missed an extended period of time, and you fell out of the race, run Milton out there. If he ever played to his talent, you could trade him for 2 firsts. To me, this seems obvious.

Worst case scenario, he replaces Shane Buechele. Be honest, how many people knew that Buechele was on the roster? 😂😂 I just googled it because I thought it was Sam Ehlinger.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

i like him as a Josh Allen type of back up. Could play similar style to Josh if we ever needed a backup to step in a couple games.

what do you think?

No

I like Milton. For me he would be on my radar if there in the 6th. He's got some elite physical traits.

Of course, I don't think he can hit the broad side of a barn 15 yards away, and if he does find it he's likely to throw the ball through the wall and out the other side. 

One of the things I'm looking forward to this preseason is seeing Shane Buechele in action as well. I'd like to see what we have there, as well as a rookie to compete for the PS QB slot. 

2 hours ago, DJB said:

With the new rules of being able to elevate a 3rd QB from the PS on game days I actually think we might take a QB late. 

It makes sense to do so and try and develop someone 

Was just gonna say this. Plus with a veteran backup, we can be patient.

• Agree 1

No, just no.  Did anyone here watch him play at Mich or Tenn?  The guy isn’t good.  Both Mich and Tenn thought they could mold the athlete into a QB and couldn’t.  He is a terrible version of Anthony Richardson and Richardson is also lousy.  

The idea of drafting a developmental QB is a good one, but Milton is not the right guy.  Travis from FSU seems like a better option. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I would def do it.  I'd even take the FSU QB in the 4th (some mocks have him there).  Get a guy who can show some stuff in preseason, be a capable backup, and parlay that into a higher pick.  Pats routinely did this.  

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

No, just no.  Did anyone here watch him play at Mich or Tenn?  The guy isn’t good.  Both Mich and Tenn thought they could mold the athlete into a QB and couldn’t.  He is a terrible version of Anthony Richardson and Richardson is also lousy.  

The idea of drafting a developmental QB is a good one, but Milton is not the right guy.  Travis from FSU seems like a better option. 

Agree that Travis from FSU is the better option, but Milton is still worth a pick at that point, IMO.  

Never a bad idea to take a flyer on a QB later in the draft, especially if you don't think you are going to have enough spots for picks on the regular roster.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

This assessment is dead on.  I've watched Milton play many times.  He's one of the best practice players in the history of college football.  His former Michigan teammates were quoted as saying that Milton would have been the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft based on his play in camp and practice.  Then the season started....The guy is an athletic freak, but he can't read a defense and can't hit the broadside of a barn.  He was given the starting job in college multiple times at 2 different programs, only to lose it to another QB.  Think EJ Manuel, as that's what you're getting with Milton.

Edited by msw2112

8 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

I'd say any time you have an opportunity to draft a QB you like in the later rounds, you do it. Look at how much weight was put into any QB that got to learn behind Brady - it definitely was a net positive for the Pats. I don't see why it wouldn't be here.

13 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

what do you think?

I'm going to save you guys a little future embarrassment and let you know why there is zero chance of this happening.

Mitch Trubisky signed a 2-year contract with the Bills and a lot of it is guaranteed, which means he's the backup.

That means whoever you draft is going to be on the practice squad... until they inevitably get stolen off the practice squad by another team.

Thus, it would be a wasted pick. This example happened with Jake Fromm. Remember?

We drafted him in the 5th. He went to the practice squad. He got stolen by the Giants. Zero compensation. All they had to do was give him a roster spot.

So... unless you expect us to carry 3 QB's on the active roster (which never happens) or expect Joe Milton to take Mitch's job before the season starts and have us take a huge loss on a guaranteed contract to Mitch, there is no reason to do this.

You're welcome.

12 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I'm going to save you guys a little future embarrassment and let you know why there is zero chance of this happening.

Mitch Trubisky signed a 2-year contract with the Bills and a lot of it is guaranteed, which means he's the backup.

That means whoever you draft is going to be on the practice squad... until they inevitably get stolen off the practice squad by another team.

Thus, it would be a wasted pick. This example happened with Jake Fromm. Remember?

We drafted him in the 5th. He went to the practice squad. He got stolen by the Giants. Zero compensation. All they had to do was give him a roster spot.

So... unless you expect us to carry 3 QB's on the active roster (which never happens) or expect Joe Milton to take Mitch's job before the season starts and have us take a huge loss on a guaranteed contract to Mitch, there is no reason to do this.

You're welcome.

How you can post something so matter-of-factly the same week this team took a dead cap hit of 31M is beyond my comprehension. You really think a couple million guaranteed to a backup that hasn't performed anywhere is going to stop them from drafting a QB they like? 

Lol... "you're welcome"... 

1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

How you can post something so matter-of-factly the same week this team took a dead cap hit of 31M is beyond my comprehension. You really think a couple million guaranteed to a backup that hasn't performed anywhere is going to stop them from drafting a QB they like? 

Lol... "you're welcome"... 

No, but it's going to stop the drafted QB from getting 2nd team reps. Which means he probably won't even have a chance to compete for the #2 role.

You don't sign a backup to big money, then the same offseason draft a guy to hope to replace him. It would be a terrible strategy unless you feel that the backup QB spot is so important that you need to burn a 5th round pick on the prayer that a guy who doesn't get 2nd team reps coming in might be so good that he shows over just a few weeks of training camp that's he's better than the established backup who has starting experience.... which best case scenario, makes you take a big guaranteed money loss.

It's stupid and won't happen.

Edited by Rigotz

17 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Exactly the problem.  Anything higher than a 6th rounder moved to PS is likely to get grabbed up.  Add to that, regardless how good/bad you think Mitch is, he still is better than a rookie 5th/6th rounder this fall if Allen were to get hurt and miss a couple games.  Maybe if the guy sits at least on year on PS preferably two years, I'd trust a guy like that to be Allen's backup rather than cast off like Mitch.   Even then if he's on PS for 2024, I believe his contract would end then next March unless he agrees to re-up with Bills.  But why would a guy resign when he knows he's not likely to make the roster in 2025 either, he'd be better off signing elsewhere where he has a better shot.

Can't see how any young development QB would want to sign in Buffalo when they know they have no shot of ever starting.  These guys need to go to teams like in 2023 Giants, NE, Pitt, where you're not going in as the #!, but you also know the #1 QB is on shaky ground, and their #2 has been around the block a few times himself so you could end up becoming the starter with just a little bit of luck and good play on your part.  You draft him, yes the Bills have him for 2024, but once on PS, low odds of keeping him beyond this year.

18 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

what do you think?

I like the move to be honest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

Why would you want Overthrow Joe?

Yep, I watch a lot of college football, and he threw the most impressive ball I saw last season. Trouble is they landed in the middle of nowhere. 

14 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

So was Belichick's ability to use a video camera.

• Haha (+1) 1

Garrett Schrader. 

He's the Josh Allen "lite" I want to see the Bills take a chance on.  He will be a udfa and can make it to the ps unless he shows out in the preseason in which case Mitch can kick rocks.

He needs some refinement but he is a competitor like josh, has the scrambling ability, and i felt there were many times he had to be the whole offense bc the team around him wasn't great.

He definitely doesnt have the arm of josh though....

19 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Everytime I read this post, I wonder why Trubisky is making $2.71M in guarantees.

Bizarre ***** outta the Bills

15 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

This is just not true. It's a myth. It worked out once for the Pats in Jimmy G.  Everyone else they took a loss on.

15 hours ago, NoSaint said:

i think he’d have to look real good in pre season to have any chance that another team is poaching him from the squad to put on their 53. Most are pretty entrenched with the top 2, if not 3.

to have 3 be a late round pick that doesn’t know your system because you added him late means you saw something in 4th quarter preseason play that you didn’t in scouting 

I just feel if his ceiling is the Practice Squad this season (and I think it would be), the highest you should go for that is a late 6th.

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Everytime I read this post, I wonder why Trubisky is making $2.71M in guarantees.

Yeah, I get that.

Only thing I can figure is you aren't going to spend a Day 2 or Early Day 3 pick on a QB when you have a Franchise Guy entrenched, especially with the amount of needs we had. And the flip side is they don't feel comfortable relying on a Late Day 3 Rookie to be ready to take the team over in Year 1 if Josh were to get hurt. 

Most solid Backups are signed to be Bridge guys or fringe starters (like Gardner Minshew in LV and Jacoby Brissett in WAS), part of a competition to possibly start (like Jameis Winston or Tyler Huntley in CLE), go to someone with a questionable QB (like Tyrod Taylor in NYG), or an oft-injured QB (like Jimmy Garoppolo in LAR).

With us having a Top 5 QB who stays on the field, we're not a destination for the top end Backup options. They must have felt Trubisky was the best we could do and it probably was. We're always going to be in that Trubisky, Keenum, K. Allen tier of Backups.

With that said, it might not be a terrible idea to take a guy late, try and stash him, and hope he develops into something you can trust next year or the following one.

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is just not true. It's a myth. It worked out once for the Pats in Jimmy G.  Everyone else they took a loss on.

You sure about that? 

Jacoby Brissett was traded.

Ryan Mallet was traded.

Matt Cassel was traded.

Hell, even Drew Bledsoe was traded after being behind Brady.

On 4/5/2024 at 6:00 AM, NoSaint said:

Until injuries strike 😉 

56 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Until injuries strike 😉 

even then you aren’t looking for a diamond in the rough. You are looking for a guy that maybe knows your terminology ideally, perhaps has any reps running an nfl huddle or calling a play 

like we would go down a list of Barkley and Kyle allen, anyone we had in camp, guys that played under Brady or his peers running the same system, then the Joe flaccos of the world before getting to the eagles day 3 pick on the practice squad randomly that we kinda liked but couldn’t play in a viable way this Sunday 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/5/2024 at 2:00 PM, Rigotz said:

You're welcome.

you lost me at Fromm was “stolen” by the Giants…