La'al Collins signs for the Bills

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Whoa! Up to 6.25m?! I literally just made a thread of our Projected Draft Capital. Not only would this be an overpay, it could cost us a Comp Pick next season. Wow.

I hope most of the "up to" is incentives and it isn't really close to that much. I mean, that's more than we paid Edwards - who was the presumed starter at Guard. Are we planning on Starting Collins at Guard now?

I was for this move at depth. But that price tag is puzzling.

Up to. If he ends up starting the whole season, is an All Pro, cures cancer, and negotiates ends to the Ukraine and Gaza situations. Then and only then does he make 6.25M

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Up to. If he ends up starting the whole season, is an All Pro, cures cancer, and negotiates ends to the Ukraine and Gaza situations. Then and only then does he make 6.25M

Yeah, it's not much of a concern to me anymore as even though he was released last season and not this season - he's still not counted on the Comp formula. 

At up to 6.25, I had some concerns that the base may have been over 3 and thus cancel out one of our picks we're projected to get from Gabe Davis or Leonard Floyd.

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Based off his injuries it's more likely he cures cancer.

• Haha (+1) 3

14 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

How exactly did we "nuke" the OL?

Morse was slightly above average some games, but mostly average.  McGovern, Dawkins, Torrence and Brown return.  Edwards as well.

Yes Connor likely moves to C.  But that could be a very good thing.  Morse didn't hold up against 3-4 style, or anytime DT was in a 0 or 1i technique.

Edwards and Collins battle it out for LG.  Combined OL is just as good, if not better.  With Torrence likely improving and Brown as well.

We haven't even had the draft and you're prognisticating a bad WR room.  Let's see what happens in draft to start.  1st round WR and double dipping sometime later, and all of a sudden we might have a more diverse group since 2020

This ^ . Morse was routinely pushed around by a quality nose or 1 tech.  Morse wasn't worth the cap it. Let's see what the draft brings. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Morse wasn't worth his contract at this point of his career.

And since you brought up injuries, Morse is always 1 concussion away from being done/career ending.  He also seems to battle through elbow injuries each year, and is not getting any younger.

Bates was versatile.  But it's very possible that Alec Anderson is our Swiss army guy at IOL.  Loser of Edwards/Collins battle also gives depth.  And we signed Clapp, who has solid starting experience.

Starting OL will be just as good, if not improved.  Remembering Torrence as a rookie and Brown showed his potential with a full offseason regimen (not coming off surgery/injury).  OL is least of concerns with the current roster.

Glad you’re optimistic. Depth wasn’t needed last year but it was great to have jt when needed. I for one am not looking forward to a few injuries leading to Josh running for his life. 

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

La'el Collins is to OT as Rodger Saffold is to OG.  Let's hope we can get 1/2 season out of him before the bottom just falls out like Saffold.  Could be good depth.

I doubt Collins is being brought in to compete for OT.  He's competition for LG and possibly the swing role. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

And he's well-worth 6.25M if he does all that!

2 minutes ago, Yantha said:

WHEN HEALTHY, he is dominant.

Is he healthy??

Correction: when healthy he WAS dominant. But he lost his starting job with Dallas in 2021 and even before the unfortunate injury with Cincy in 2022 he had been anything but dominant. There was a stretch there where he was one of the best right tackles in football... but the last two years we saw him on the field he wasn't close to that. He is only 30. The talk seems to be that the Bills would be willing to try him at guard, maybe that revitalises him somewhat, but if they have signed him to play OT it will not work out well. 

• Agree 1

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/8-things-to-know-about-new-bills-ol-lael-collins/

https://youtu.be/f_z8E6E3iYo?si=hGKK6dA5x9GBcB5q

Impressive speed for an OL with power 

This guy has started 86 games.  Can play Guard or OT.   

At the very least, he should be competing for a starting spot in camp 

Regardless of what the base salary is, the "Up to 6"  is intriguing.     

I think there is a small chance Beane could package Spencer Brown to move up the board like we did with Cordy Glenn 

Either Collins or Edwards could be used as "TE3" in Jumbo packages 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

This man once tried to bribe the NFL’s drug tester.

Legend. 

Seems high risk, high reward and obvious competition for David Edwards.

I can still see them drafting a 4th or 5th round LG to be the eventual starter. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

On 4/4/2024 at 10:19 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

La'el Collins is to OT as Rodger Saffold is to OG.  Let's hope we can get 1/2 season out of him before the bottom just falls out like Saffold.  Could be good depth.

If his knee is ok he could provide really solid depth, and thats a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2024 at 11:19 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

except Saffold was 35.  Collins is 30 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Still waiting on those contract deets and the base salary!

Yeah, nothing yet.

When I heard he was signed I figured it was a total in-case-of-emergency signing and he would probably retire in TC when it was clear he was totally washed or there was a better young player ahead of him.    Like Brandon Shell did.

Suddenly wondering if Brown is a possibility in a package to Chicago for the 9th pick.  

Would absolutely not surprise me.   

If it means able to keep the two seconds next year I’d be ok with it.  If it got us Nabers or Odunze.  And I love Brown and hate the current reboot on the Oline already.  

Odds this is possible?  

To Bills

Pick 9 

To Bears

2025 first 

Spencer Brown 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Vomit 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Suddenly wondering if Brown is a possibility in a package to Chicago for the 9th pick.  

If it means able to keep the two seconds next year I’d be ok with it.   

Odds this is possible?  

To Bills

Pick 9 

To Bears

2025 first 

Spencer Brown 

So you get pick 9, you give up #28, next year's first, your starting RT, and #60, and then you are waiting till day 3 for your next pick? And you are counting on Collins to be your new starting RT? I hate it, in CAPS.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

What did he sign for us? Spencer Brown's new contract?😂

The reported deal was "up to 6.25m" for 1 year. "Up to" surely implying the most he could get with incentives, maybe with void years. But considering he shouldn't be paid anything *close* to 6.25m - there's some curiosity on what the actual base number is.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Wouldn’t shock me if VanDemark or Gouraige is added to a move-up deal, especially if it involves the Giants. 

VanDemark could have a little value to the Giants.

with the Collins signing, I do believe there is a slight possibility Spencer Brown is traded with pick 28 to move up in Round 1 like Cordy Glenn was.

If Brown is in a deal to NYG for 6, perhaps we could keep pick 60 by including him

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

If it means able to keep the two seconds next year I’d be ok with it.  If it got us Nabers or Odunze.  And I love Brown and hate the current reboot on the Oline already.  

Odds this is possible?  

To Bills

Pick 9 

To Bears

2025 first 

Spencer Brown 

counter:

28, 2025 1st, Spencer, 4th  for #9 

• Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO This signing was so unexpected that I do consider if Beane was either asked for Spencer Brown in a potential trade up the board or if he plans to use him as bait 

Not really unexpected. The Bills lost two OL this off-season. They need depth.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO This signing was so unexpected that I do consider if Beane was either asked for Spencer Brown in a potential trade up the board or if he plans to use him as bait 

He’s played plenty at LG, them looking to trade Brown doesn’t make a ton of sense. 

Collins being direct competition for Edwards is my bet. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He’s played plenty at LG, them looking to trade Brown doesn’t make a ton of sense. 

Collins being direct competition for Edwards is my bet. 

you’re probably right.  I just prefer the X-Files approach to everything 😂

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Estro said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lael-collins-17403/#:~:text=La'el Collins signed a 2 year%2C %2415%2C400%2C000 contract with,carrying a cap hit of .

1 year - $1.75M contract fir Collins, according to spotrac. Much more in line with expectations, rather than the "up to" $6.5M that was reported after his signing

Lol I just found out and came to post this. Sportrac doesn't say anything about incentives but it doesn't mean there aren't any.

Anyway, it is a low cap hit, but at the same time it's all guaranteed, so he is either lock to make the roster or leaves us with $1,5M dead cap and no savings if cut.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:30 PM, BuffaloRebound said:

I know the Diggs trade is still a bit shocking, but you don’t trade a young ascending starting RT on a rookie deal.  That would make me question whether Beane is doing his best John Butler before he went to the Chargers impression.  

Na Beane wouldn't be dumb enough to give two QBs franchise type money contracts. 

Edited by The Jokeman