La'al Collins signs for the Bills

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

This was the dude that was expected to go in the first round, but then had the legal issue pop up RIGHT before the draft, right? And after the first round came and went without him being drafted, his agent told/asked every NFL team NOT to draft him, as he wanted Collins to be able to pick his own team? Then every team obliged, and he signed a UDFA deal with Dallas?

I remember being so mad at the Bills that year for not calling his agent's bluff and just drafting him in the 7th round. What could he have really done about it? 

Oh well. That's milk that was spilled a looooong time ago. And now, 9 years too late, he's a Bill. 

He'll be an interesting bit of trivia, along with former Bills Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Reggie Bush.

Yup, a pregnant woman that he had relations with was murdered right before the draft. Police interviewed him but never considered him a suspect. 

I'm a little surprised by the reaction to this, he could push Edwards out of an OG role. 

OL with lots of starting experience are valuable.  Kromer has done a great job with the line.  I think this is a home run.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Two things: 

1. I think the Bills view him as competition to start at LG AND be the swing tackle. Lord knows they like versatility in their o-linemen.

2. I'd be willing to bet that the "up to" in the sentence announcing his contract is, as always, doing some pretty heavy lifting. I'll wait until the contract breakdown comes out before passing too harsh a judgement.

Edited by Logic

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Two things: 

1. I think the Bills view him as competition to start at LG AND be the swing tackle. Lord knows they like versatility in their o-linemen.

2. I'd be willing to be the "up to" in the sentence announcing his contract is, as always, doing some pretty heavy lifting. I'll wait until the contract breakdown comes out before passing too harsh a judgement.

Agreed. That would mean he played well, earned a starting job, stayed healthy etc., in order to earn those incentives.  In which case, the price tag would be worth it.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Why do this before the draft?  I’m guessing interior offensive line isn’t a draft thought in the first four rounds anymore.

1. He can start at G or T 

2. Maybe Spencer Brown is trade bait to move up the board in Round 1 like Cody Ford was? 

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

Sounds like a vet mini deal with massive incentives.  Sounds like very little risk with potential nice returns.

Where are you seeing that it is a vet minimum deal?

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

1. He can start at G or T 

2. Maybe Spencer Brown is trade bait to move up the board in Round 1 like Cody Ford was? 

Doubt they're trading Brown - young and no even close to his ceiling

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

More like this year's Brandon Shell/ Ifedi... A vet RT that hopefully never has to see the field. 

Do you think they told him when he signed, " We like you.  But we don't want to have to play you?" 

• Haha (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Logic said:

This was the dude that was expected to go in the first round, but then had the legal issue pop up RIGHT before the draft, right? And after the first round came and went without him being drafted, his agent told/asked every NFL team NOT to draft him, as he wanted Collins to be able to pick his own team? Then every team obliged, and he signed a UDFA deal with Dallas?

I remember being so mad at the Bills that year for not calling his agent's bluff and just drafting him in the 7th round. What could he have really done about it? 

Oh well. That's milk that was spilled a looooong time ago. And now, 9 years too late, he's a Bill. 

He'll be an interesting bit of trivia, along with former Bills Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Reggie Bush.

It’s OK, he likes us now!   😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Why do this before the draft?  I’m guessing interior offensive line isn’t a draft thought in the first four rounds anymore.

Probably liked what they saw in medicals and wanted to go into the draft with more bodies along the offensive line? I am shocked to see the deal is worth up to so much for a player that hasn't been productive since 2021 and is coming off a PS stint. Luckily because he was only on Dallas's PS this won't count against comp picks. 

5 minutes ago, turbo044 said:

Doubt they're trading Brown - young and no even close to his ceiling

I think they are much more likely to extend Brown while he may come cheaper. I think part of why they traded Diggs for 2025/26 cap relief is to resign the players from the 2021/22 draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think Beane likes to fill as many holes before the draft as he can to reduce his draft needs and simplify his draft strategy.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Dang, I can’t believe my “Buddy, git r done” from 2015 has come to fruition now! 

It must have been the slow release formula. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Best OL in years and the Bills are going to replace three positions?

Why not just keep Morse?

I think Collins is more so a depth addition. I think they likely view Collins as the David Edwards role last year. A depth o-line player who can play both guard spots or RT and come in as a 6th offensive linemen in jumbo packages. I am all for helping out the depth. Outside of Van Denmark who in limited action showed to be a solid swing tackle the depth was Alex Anderson (an unproven prospect) and Clapp (a marginal backup). Not sure if Collins is making a huge difference but if his medicals are clear you can do worse?

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Collins is more so a depth addition. I think they likely view Collins as the David Edwards role last year. A depth o-line player who can play both guard spots or RT and come in as a 6th offensive linemen in jumbo packages. I am all for helping out the depth. Outside of Van Denmark who in limited action showed to be a solid swing tackle the depth was Alex Anderson (an unproven prospect) and Clapp (a marginal backup). Not sure if Collins is making a huge difference but if his medicals are clear you can do worse?

I know it is "up to" 6.5 million but doesn't that mean he will at least get a long look at starting?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Camp competition for the swing tackle role, methinks.

I really liked the way Ryan VanDemark looked, but what the hell do I know?

Gotta have camp bodies and a pleasant surprise if he plays well - probably a long shot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Well, he tore up his knee pretty badly and was still coming back from it last year. Could be a solid depth piece. 

Swing tackle? Has played G too. Maybe takes over the Edward's role from last year

34 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Best OL in years and the Bills are going to replace three positions?

Why not just keep Morse?

Why?  Ever ask yourself why ever WHy the bills telegraphed every sneak was over the LG now starting C. 

• Like (+1) 1