And we're on to.. Aiyuk?

JMM

14 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Counterpoint is that it took Aiyuk 3 years to become that dude.  We can’t afford to waste 2-3 years of prime Josh waiting on somebody to develop into WR 1.  Plus Aiyuk thrived in a ball control, RB utilized offense where he still put up big numbers without a huge number of targets.  

This. We get the young WR hitting his prime again and then even draft the pretty substantial Gabe Davis upgrade at 28 or possible trade up in the second. Don't worry the Bills can still rotate TBD legend Shakir in for the rookie at times but let's be real here Shakir is a number 3. Sorry not sorry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Brandon Aiyuk, 6'' 200lbs. Drafted by SF in the 1st round #22 overall. Four-year player 26 years old.

2023 stats, 105 targets, 75 catches for 1342 yards, 7 TDs, success % 70.5. The catch percentage is 71.4%. 12.8 yards per target. The #7 rated WR in the NFL last season. Diggs was 13th. Gabe Davis was 49th. 

Aiyuk is a clear #1 WR, no question. 

And he did that without Josh Allen as his QB.

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Brandon Aiyuk, 6'' 200lbs. Drafted by SF in the 1st round #22 overall. Four-year player 26 years old.

2023 stats, 105 targets, 75 catches for 1342 yards, 7 TDs, success % 70.5. The catch percentage is 71.4%. 12.8 yards per target. The #7 rated WR in the NFL last season. Diggs was 13th. Gabe Davis was 49th. 

Aiyuk is a clear #1 WR, no question. 

The thing I love about the above stats is the 105 targets. That's the direction the team needs to go. Diggs was a 160 target per year receiver in his time in Buffalo. That is way too many forced targets to a single player. Shakir, Kincaid, Cook, Aiyuk, and Samuel make that your top four receiving targets and let them all get 80 - 120 targets. 

19 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The thing I love about the above stats is the 105 targets. That's the direction the team needs to go. Diggs was a 160 target per year receiver in his time in Buffalo. That is way too many forced targets to a single player. Shakir, Kincaid, Cook, Aiyuk, and Samuel make that your top four receiving targets and let them all get 80 - 120 targets. 

Most definitely. The only way you target a player that many times is if he's Justin Jefferson or Megatron.

• Agree 1

For the thousandth time can't trade for Aiyuk unless we can clear $9m of cap first. 

His contract this year on the 5th year option is $14.1m and it is all salary so would all go with him to the trading for team. We have at best about $5m in space. 

Sure, we could extend him and lower the hit but you can't do that until he is on the roster so for at least 60 seconds between the trade being approved and him signing a new deal the Bills would be over the cap. There is no way of avoiding that. You can't register a new contract with the league until they have accepted that player's registration on your team. 

Is there a way the Bills could offer the 49ers such a huge package that they do a 1 year deal with Aiyuk and eat some cap turning $12.5m of his salary into bonus and dropping the salary that would travel to vet minimum? I mean it is possible. Just not likely. 1. Because San Fran are tight themselves and a year out from having to pay their QB and 2. It requires a lot of trust from all 3 parties to then go through with a deal and a new contract that they would be under no obligation on.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For the thousandth time can't trade for Aiyuk unless we can clear $9m of cap first. 

His contract this year on the 5th year option is $14.1m and it is all salary so would all go with him to the trading for team. We have at best about $5m in space. 

Sure, we could extend him and lower the hit but you can't do that until he is on the roster so for at least 60 seconds between the trade being approved and him signing a new deal the Bills would be over the cap. There is no way of avoiding that. You can't register a new contract with the league until they have accepted that player's registration on your team. 

Is there a way the Bills could offer the 49ers such a huge package that they do a 1 year deal with Aiyuk and eat some cap turning $12.5m of his salary into bonus and dropping the salary that would travel to vet minimum? I mean it is possible. Just not likely. 1. Because San Fran are tight themselves and a year out from having to pay their QB and 2. It requires a lot of trust from all 3 parties to then go through with a deal and a new contract that they would be under no obligation on.

Counterpoint is Beane left room in Josh’s and Miller’s restructure to cover Aiyuk’s $14m if he wanted to.  And Beane has historically operated that way where he doesn’t clear the cap space until he needs it.  Additionally I doubt San Fran would sell us cap space but trading Aiyuk would put them at $21m under the cap, and it seems like Beane and Lynch spent some time together trying to get the League to change their comp picks.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They have the room.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They have the room.

Who? The Bills? They don't. 

They still have as @BuffaloRebound rightly states above a couple of levers they can pull to create the room. But they don't have a ton of wiggle next year either and at some point this new deal he would need to sign would have some big numbers. 

I'm not saying it is impossible. I am saying it is not possible unless they make some moves to clear some space first. We can all speculate what their appetite for shaking their final few quid out of the back of the sofa is.... but none of us know.

I wonder if they might even do it on draft night when they see how the board starts to fall - like the AJ Brown deal was done. Because I suspect their preference is to draft a cost controlled guy.

3 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

This. We get the young WR hitting his prime again and then even draft the pretty substantial Gabe Davis upgrade at 28 or possible trade up in the second. Don't worry the Bills can still rotate TBD legend Shakir in for the rookie at times but let's be real here Shakir is a number 3. Sorry not sorry.

That's what the "cost control" people are missing. There's a reason why rookies are cost controlled. It's because half of them bust out of the league in 3 years, including top picks. 

They look at guys like Nacua and Jefferson and assume we can get one of those guys at #28 ("Beane BETTER hit on those picks or else he NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLESDFGNSFGDKJNSFDKGNDFSDFKSFMSWFW#$%@#%$#%$#").  But when was the last time we hit on an offensive pick like that on year 1? Even Kincaid didn't have as strong a rookie year as those guys. It's not common. 

Trade for a top young guy so we can still win the division this upcoming year, use next year's cap space for the contract, and draft a solid WR2/3 in late first or 2nd round for the future. That's the right move. 

1 minute ago, DJB said:

I’ll say it again like I’ve said before, we don’t have the cap space for Aiyuk or Higgins . No point in discussing 

With the cap creativity out there, I find it hard to believe. Especially with Tre opening $10M in June. And restructuring options we haven't used yet. 

And right after everyone said it was impossible that we trade Diggs. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Counterpoint is that it took Aiyuk 3 years to become that dude.  We can’t afford to waste 2-3 years of prime Josh waiting on somebody to develop into WR 1.  Plus Aiyuk thrived in a ball control, RB utilized offense where he still put up big numbers without a huge number of targets.  

Not that all rookie WR's hit the ground running but Aiyuk had 748 yards (5TD), 825 yards (5TD), 1015 yards (8 TD), and 1342 yards(7TD)  with a round robin of Jimmy G, Nick Mullens, CJ Beathard, Tre Lance, and Brock Purdy as his QB's 

I don't think it is a coincidence that Aiyuk broke 1000 yards once SF found some stability at the QB position.

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I did research, it's rare for a rookie to put up 1000 yards or be a super impact their rookie year.  

25 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

With the cap creativity out there, I find it hard to believe. Especially with Tre opening $10M in June. And restructuring options we haven't used yet. 

Not going to check all the posters, but I don't think the people saying "We can't afford to move on from Diggs" and "We can't afford to sign Higgins/Aiyuk" are the same people. 

I was part of the "We can 100% move on from Diggs and it is very advantageous for the receiving team" camp.

Higgins and Aiyuk would have to come with extensions. I think it "could" be done. The issue is what is the direction this team is going in regards to roster management? I think they likely want to get out of some of their hefty vet contracts, get younger, and get out from under some more hefty vet contracts. I am not sure immediately bringing in a $30M receiver fits in there. 

That said IF the Bills are going to do that with either I would prefer they take a swing at the bigger and more physical receiver in Higgins over Aiyuk. I like BR, but he doesn't $30M excite me. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the Bills go down the path of OBJ or similar route in a post June 1 move. But I also won't be shocked if they want to roll as much of Tre's $10M over to 2025 either. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Who? The Bills? They don't. 

They still have as @BuffaloRebound rightly states above a couple of levers they can pull to create the room. But they don't have a ton of wiggle next year either and at some point this new deal he would need to sign would have some big numbers. 

I'm not saying it is impossible. I am saying it is not possible unless they make some moves to clear some space first. We can all speculate what their appetite for shaking their final few quid out of the back of the sofa is.... but none of us know.

I wonder if they might even do it on draft night when they see how the board starts to fall - like the AJ Brown deal was done. Because I suspect their preference is to draft a cost controlled guy.

They have the space this year if they want it, and they will have even more space next year because they are eating Diggs’ cap hit this year, and Miller will be cut (not to mention all of the available restructures and the cap going up).

37 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

That's what the "cost control" people are missing. There's a reason why rookies are cost controlled. It's because half of them bust out of the league in 3 years, including top picks. 

They look at guys like Nacua and Jefferson and assume we can get one of those guys at #28 ("Beane BETTER hit on those picks or else he NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLESDFGNSFGDKJNSFDKGNDFSDFKSFMSWFW#$%@#%$#%$#").  But when was the last time we hit on an offensive pick like that on year 1? Even Kincaid didn't have as strong a rookie year as those guys. It's not common. 

Trade for a top young guy so we can still win the division this upcoming year, use next year's cap space for the contract, and draft a solid WR2/3 in late first or 2nd round for the future. That's the right move. 

But it doesn't have to be a young guy in order to win the division.  Someone like DHop type could be a more affordable, less draft capital bridge. 

And then the Bills still take a WR in the first two rounds that is better than G Davis right away and has the possibility to ascend to WR1 status.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/4/2024 at 10:15 AM, DapperCam said:

I really like Aiyuk. I would do a deal that doesn’t include this year’s first rounder. Then I would structure an extension that gives him a low cap hit this year.

On 4/4/2024 at 10:15 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I would rather draft one too but I think Aiyuk could be a good #1 as well.  He got 105 targets last year and I think if you give him 30 more with the Bills...I think we could see a Diggs from MN to Buffalo type of increase in production.

From what I know about Aiyuk is he's a yac guy and we need more of that.

On 4/4/2024 at 10:32 AM, nedboy7 said:

Yes I’d love Aiyuk. He’d fit perfectly in this offense.  

On 4/4/2024 at 10:38 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

If we can keep pick 28, I'm listening

On 4/4/2024 at 10:44 AM, Mat68 said:

2 twos? 60 and the the Vikings 2nd.  Ayuik last year had more yards and Tds than diggs on over 50 less targets.  I would be all in on Ayuik.  Instantly, steps in as a number one.  Opens the first rd back up.  I think if he is in play Beane will wait and see until draft night.  

Next year’s second and maybe something more to do this deal and I do it in a second.

Hopefully we can work something out with him that money will come later or in June when more is freed up (I know, I know, but please just let may have this for the sake of the argument)

I honestly believe he can be a “quiet” 2024 #1.  What I mean by quiet is 80 plus grabs, in the style of offense it seems like we are going to have.  Plus, let’s not discount the fact he is a veteran.  My goodness, a 1st round WR (Legette, Ladd, Thomas Jr.?), Aiyuk, Samuel, Shakir, and a spritz of Shorter, along with Kincaid (maybe the true #1), Knox and Cook…How would anyone not love that offense?!

Additionally, the true number 1s, or league top 3s, likely are going to be commanding 30-35 million per.  I think, as others have speculated, that Aiyuk may be more in line with Diggs average dollars.

I would be pretty OK with this move.

Go Bills!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Counterpoint is Beane left room in Josh’s and Miller’s restructure to cover Aiyuk’s $14m if he wanted to.  And Beane has historically operated that way where he doesn’t clear the cap space until he needs it.  Additionally I doubt San Fran would sell us cap space but trading Aiyuk would put them at $21m under the cap, and it seems like Beane and Lynch spent some time together trying to get the League to change their comp picks.  

Why would you eat away all your cap for a receiver that was not even a #1.  Trade up and draft a stud and stop paying big money 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

I would have said the same until the Diggs trade. As above the $10M in June gives you some creativity before then. I would question the return we need to give. Pitt being ahead of us at 20 vs 28, and do the Bills want immediately to jump back into a massive contract at WR. Given the talent in this draft that’s the question. The value needed to give up is the issue. WR like every other position in the draft is 50/50. Aiyuk is a sure thing. Tough decisions for BB. But must assume he had a plan in advance of jettisoning Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I’ll say it again like I’ve said before, we don’t have the cap space for Aiyuk or Higgins . No point in discussing 

The big money won't kick in for a year or two and you just give a big signing bonus. Not that difficult really. Amateurs around here🤣😆😂

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Why would you eat away all your cap for a receiver that was not even a #1.  Trade up and draft a stud and stop paying big money 

Aiyuk is absolutely a No. 1 WR.  He’s a top ten WR in the league.

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, nbbillsfan said:

I guess you haven’t been paying attention - the unfollow was not the first time Ayuik used social media express displeasure  with the 49ers.

Fair enough, I'm not methodical and assiduous in following all players social media.  

What else?

I don't see him being a Bill.

He wants too much money and the Bills will have to give up too much draft capital. 

It's a shame because I think he would be the perfect WR for Josh to be his number one. 

I would much rather see the Buffalo Bills make a trade with SF for Aiyuk than trade the resources to move up in the draft to take one of the top three. Aiyuk is a sure thing #1 WR and not a maybe or someone that might take years to develop into a #1...if ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I would much rather see the Buffalo Bills make a trade with SF for Aiyuk than trade the resources to move up in the draft to take one of the top three. Aiyuk is a sure thing #1 WR and not a maybe or someone that might take years to develop into a #1...if ever. 

Harrison and nebors are sure things and Odunze is a 75% sure thing. I Think;

if nebors or Harrison last to 6, they call the giants

if Odunze lasts to 9 they call atlanta

if Thomas II last to high teens they make a call

otherwise they pick their fav at 28. Mine would be Ladd at 28 and trade 60 + a 4th this year and a 3rs next year for 40 and grab legette, Franklin, Coleman, Polk - whomever is left and whomever they like

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I don't see him being a Bill.

He wants too much money and the Bills will have to give up too much draft capital. 

It's a shame because I think he would be the perfect WR for Josh to be his number one. 

The Bills just got out of paying Diggs big money in ‘25 and ‘26…they can afford Aiyuk, if they can somehow make room for his ‘24 salary.

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Just saw that Aiyuk was ranked #2 last season with a 17.9 per catch average.  For comparison Diggs ranked 70th at 11.1 per.  If they can swing a post June 1 deal / trade, please "do it".  Then trade up in the 2nd for Legette.

Aiyuk 

Legette

Samuel

Shakir

Kincaid

Knox.....I think Josh would absolutely thrive with these 6.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just saw that Aiyuk was ranked #2 last season with a 17.9 per catch average.  For comparison Diggs ranked 70th at 11.1 per.  If they can swing a post June 1 deal / trade, please "do it".  Then trade up in the 2nd for Legette.

Aiyuk 

Legette

Samuel

Shakir

Kincaid

Knox.....I think Josh would absolutely thrive with these 6.

The downside is that I believe that there is no "oh we will do the trade, but it doesn't go through until June 1st"

Both teams would need to wait until after the draft, at which time trading Aiyuk may not make sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Aiyuk. With him I think the Bills can run their own version of the 49ers offense (Curtis and Cook and the poor man's Deebo and CMC, two starting caliber TEs, good FB in Gillam). But at this point everything carries risk.

given we ate the cap (making the cap constraint for houston much less painful) and got a next year 2nd, and we had to give away a few picks as well, on the diggs trade, makes me think if sf is not eating as much cap on aiyuk then the draft capital cost for him should be meaningfully lower.

also, a lot of other wrs and such have been traded (chargers for example) for like 4th round picks and such.

im figuring if we can trade for aiyuk and have to extend him out the gate, it should cost a 3rd or less.  i'd do that if i thought we could also trade up (if needed) and nab a top flight wr in the draft.

Although we might not trade up, and maybe even trade down, i don't see us not spending at least high picks on a WR this draft, even if we trade in for aiyuk

You just do whatever you want and just keep kicking that can down the road......my theory, is that the further you kick the can, the further it gets away from you, so just keep kicking it as far and as long as you want.

Pay no attention to the Saints......they don't know how to kick a good can far enough........amateurs.

21 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

lol….what constitutes being the niners #1 WR?  Being the highest paid?  He was absolutely their WR1 last season and their best playmaker other than CMC.  He played outside on the majority of the snaps while the guy you think is their #1 plays the majority of his snaps from the slot.

most targets, most yards, tied for most  TDs all while having the highest y/r.

please explain how he wasn’t even a #1

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's really no way of doing this before June 1st and it would be really hard to pull off even after.

Even with a re-done contract, we have to be able to take it on as is first before a Trade is approved.

I am on the fence on this whole thing, leaning to the against it side. 

But I believe the solution for June 1 is for Aiyuk to sign an extension on SF paper the trade. 

Just now, Mango said:

I am on the fence on this whole thing, leaning to the against it side. 

But I believe the solution for June 1 is for Aiyuk to sign an extension on SF paper the trade. 

I would prefer to use draft capital for 1 of the top 3 or BTJ  and draft another WR, hopefully in the 2nd if you can keep 60.

If it doesn't work out, revisit Aiyuk for picks next year 

• Like (+1) 1

In the immortal words of Marlo Stanfield, "Price of the brick going up."

DeVonta Smith just signed for approximately $25 mill per year. 

Me thinks Aiyuk is now off the table.  Contracts have seen an uptick.  From Cousins, to Jacksonville Josh, now Smith.

Edited by Chicken Boo