Diggs traded to Texans for picks

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yup. I hope that watching it from the sidelines in the midst of his tantrum made him feel stupid. But knowing his personality I'm sure it didn't change a thing in his ego poisoned mind.

They knew the guy was a problem yet they still have him a new contract and reworked. After 1 season decided that taking on dead cap to get rid of him was worth it. 

Beane really messed up with Diggs. He should have been traded before the new contract 

50 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He sucked in the second half of last year. It’s certainly on the board that’s who he is going forward.

One on one coverage is a quarterbacks dream and diggs saw a lot of one on one coverage last year and couldn't get open. Not to mention the drop in the end zone against the chiefs in the playoffs last year. 

I like the trade for underperforming players.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Got it!

Is there dead money next year also?  If not, not a bad move IMHO.

Spotrac isn't up to date yet, but I think we get something like $5-10M back in cap space next year. I believe there is still some dead money, but ultimately we get some relief. 

I thought the Bills would have waited until after June 1. I remember that in that scenario the Bills would have gotten $19M in 2024 relief and $5M in 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, muppy said:

I don't know about anybody else but this news kind of ****** me off  I'm not gonna lie. I want to see all the final print. I needed to calm down lol 

Uhhh, something about “ Freaking out”????

I haven’t read through all the replies but I’m not happy. 

We basically got screwed twice by Minnesota trades over a 5 year span. 

Should have AT LEAST got the Texans 1st rounder. Not them trade to Minnesota for 3 picks and we get thrown a bone for NEXT year. 

Regardless of what you think about Diggs, he was STILL A WR1!!!!! 

This isn’t a good move IMO. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It's supposed to be a deep draft for WR's this year. Beane has to get some weapons out of this draft for Allen. If they trade up or not I have to think WR is the pick in Rd 1. Probably going to take more than one WR this draft. I can't wait to hear Beane's press conference for this. The media is going to have a lot of questions to ask.

Yes, it is deep. You just can't expect a whole lot out of a wide receiver as a rookie. They are not always an instant impact.

It helps that we have Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl as the #15 in offensive scoring.

And they had their best defense in years. 2nd in points against and 2nd in yards against.

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Houston is building their team right. Going all in on OFFENSE. This is an offensive league and whoever scores the most points wins. The Bills are trying to run the ball more and play good defense. Someone needs to tell this isn't 2005

The team that won the Super Bowl did it on the backs of the best defense they ever assembled and a WR/RB running room that looked like extras from The Replacements...

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

With two 2nd's next year, a high pick from next year is being used this year... I believe that to be the calculus.

We currently have Shakir and Samuel... We're getting two WR's in the Top 100 picks this year. 

I had the exact same thought. A lot easier to stomach not having a 1 next year, if we have 2 2's.  I know I'm dreaming, but Nabors would be the dream pick for me.

13 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

Yes, but that's not my main concern. Beane has proven himself to be more than capable IMO.

This season's performance is going to let us know what's going on, 7 Beane seasons in.  

The division sucks monkey nuts, we literally own Miami, they literally cannot beat us barring 100-degree temps with our players sitting in extreme heat, and even then couldn't outplay us.  A division win is expected, and if we cannot advance beyond the wild-card round again, that theory is going to be quite seriously challenged.  

As always, we'll see.  Hopefully we'll win a Super Bowl with this ragtag WR corps without a distinguished WR in the group.  Hopefully we'll bolster it with a WR in the 1st round.  

But it should be of concern, because we've been lectured for a full year now by both head coach and Allen how there's absolutely nothing to any of this Diggs's stuff.  That's not going to age well.  

• Like (+1) 1

Worth going back and reading this from 2020.

“His standing in the Minnesota offense was just one of several slights that didn’t seem to sit well with Diggs, and early on last season, it became obvious to those around the Vikings organization that the union between the wideout and the franchise was fraying. He missed practice despite not being listed with an injury, used cryptic emojis in his tweets, and eventually said he was “frustrated” with Minnesota’s 2-2 start.”

And this:

“Yet as great as Diggs had been for Minnesota, his departure seemed inevitable. A month into 2019, the receiver responsible for the most spectacular touchdown in Vikings history skipped team meetings and a practice over displeasure with their run-heavy offense. He was painted as petulant and selfish. The Vikings fined him $200,000.”

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

This years first and second, next years first and two seconds. That'll move you up quite a ways and would be very attractive to a developing team.  Only took me half a second to come up with that scenario. 

just out of curiosity wonder how far that does get you in the points system that people like to quote.

• Like (+1) 1

Michael Gallup would be a smart safety net here.  He is big and basically a slower version of Gabe Davis.  He was not used much last year but he is excellent with acrobatic catches on the sideline and is good at bodying people and going up and getting balls.

I cant imagine he would get paid a lot.  Sounds like he is visiting the steelers at the moment who are going to use him in the same way, big body x wr outside.

• Disagree 1

Sad end to his time at the Bills. Hoping we fail forward here and come out somehow better for it.

When the Vikings moved on from Diggs they ended up with Justin Jefferson. Even someone half as good as him would make it palatable.

Not confident it'll be that way though

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You know what, now is a good time to spill the beans on what I was told earlier this year - In the home Patriots game, Diggs chose to sit out the first drive of the 2nd half because he was upset with Allen's play in the 1st half. It wasn't an injury or part of the game plan. He decided to screw over his team and sit out a drive because he couldn't get over himself.

I suspect other stories like this will come out in the coming days. A couple aren't mine to tell. Guy was a total headcase and a major distraction in more ways than one.

Everybody wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt last year. I don't know why based on his actions. But sure, call him misunderstood. Two teams have now traded away the "star" WR. One was better for it, I suspect it will be two when this plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Unless you lived through that era, most posting here will never know; great point! Diggs not even on the same planet!

I remember when Jerry Rice was asked who the best receiver in the NFL was in the early 90s, he replied Andre Reed is 1 and i'm 1A!

• Like (+1) 4

This is such a great move. Get rid of this cancer. Grab a wr round 1 and we are already in a better place than last year at the start of the season. lol at all the people thinking the Bills are taking a step back or window closed type of talk. Diggs was a diva and should have been a team player and taken a pay cut like miller but he was too busy posting on twitter on how great he use to be. 

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Houston is building their team right. Going all in on OFFENSE. This is an offensive league and whoever scores the most points wins. The Bills are trying to run the ball more and play good defense. Someone needs to tell this isn't 2005

This kind of stuff always makes me chuckle when I read it.  Chiefs defense stepping up in the playoffs is as responsible for their superbowl wins as their offense is.

Where is this supposed superstar receiver we just traded whenever we play the chiefs in the playoffs?  oh yea….locked down by the chiefs secondary lol 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Pirate Angel said:

When they traded Watkins and Darby the same belief was had by many

FWIW, I was fully on board with those trades at the time, even though I was bummed to lose Darby. Thought we got a good haul for both, and didn’t think Watkins would be much of a loss. (He wasn’t.)

I wasn’t happy about the Dareus trade, but that one was mostly wishful thinking on my part. Dareus was so good until he lost his motivation. 

As for this trade? I’m not raging out or crying doom & gloom, but I’m not happy either. Just feels like we’re gonna be told that a 2nd next year is just as good as a 1st, when the Bills trade way up to get a guy who’s not as good as Diggs in 2024. Now, if we keep next year’s #1 and hit on our top WR pick anyway? That’ll change my tune a bit. Also if Diggs does nothing in Houston, that would recalibrate this trade for me. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Spotrac isn't up to date yet, but I think we get something like $5-10M back in cap space next year. I believe there is still some dead money, but ultimately we get some relief. 

I thought the Bills would have waited until after June 1. I remember that in that scenario the Bills would have gotten $19M in 2024 relief and $5M in 2025.

Houston got draft picks for this year, so couldn’t have been a post June 1.  Wonder what a post June 1 trade would have looked like?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, first_and_ten said:

So draft all defense?

Draft what your team needs. But the Chiefs have invested a lot in their defense, both in the draft and free agency. Anyone who thinks that we should only focus on bolstering the offense is not paying attention to what other good teams do.

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

So who are the supposed top 3 receivers in this year's draft again?  Harrison Jr. and who else?

Brian Thomas makes the most sense for the Bills. It's a more realistic trade up.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

According to this thread the Bills are going to be a dumpster fire next year without Diggs 🤷‍♂️ I'm just deferring to the experts on here.  Bills will obviously suck next year so, pretty attractive draft picks.  If you can do it, and hypothetically get MHJ. I'd say do it.  The Bills have done everything else with this franchise except mortgage their future by trading picks away.  I say let's try that route.

It took you a half second to formulate a response to a question you had no idea how to answer....impressive

LOL   Well anyone that truly believes that A, using Diggs in the slot as Brady did, and that this was a move forward, is delusional.  

Pending our draft wherein if we take a WR that ends up producing, and not riding the bench per McD's MO.