The Bills should slowly revolutionize the kicking game.

There are lots of obscure things about NFL field goal protocol.

For example, just about every kicking unit in the NFL is 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage. This is the way it’s always been done. But this adds on an extra 7 yards every attempt.

What I’m suggesting is the Bills move it a little bit close. Let’s say 5 yards. Suddenly that 50 yard FG is a 48 yarder. Suddenly that 40 yard FG is a 38 yarder. And even extra points are just a little bit easier.

It the long run, this will play huge dividends. The difference between a 39 yard FG and a 41 yard FG is about 7% in conversion rate. Over the course of a few seasons, that’s a huge amount of conversions.

The real secret is don’t tell anybody you’re doing this. Don’t tell the refs, don’t tell the media, don’t tell anybody. Just move up a bit and reap the rewards. 

• Eyeroll 4
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

The amount of blocked kicks will offset the percentage

So many kicks are just a couple of inches away from being blocked.. moving it up those two yards will result in a lot more blocks

The kicker would have to change the angle of his kick which would also affect his kicking ability 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Yeah, nobody will notice in film study. 

It's also done that way for a reason.

Coaches also used to punt on their opponents 40 or kick field goals on 4th and goal from the half yard line “for a reason.”

55 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So many kicks are just a couple of inches away from being blocked.. moving it up those two yards will result in a lot more blocks

The kicker would have to change the angle of his kick which would also affect his kicking ability 

That’s why you implement the change and work on it with your kicker. I refuse to believe that this play has been optimized at random since 1940 with how much cave-man thinking occurs in football. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

For example, just about every kicking unit in the NFL is 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage. This is the way it’s always been done. But this adds on an extra 7 yards every attempt.

What I’m suggesting is the Bills move it a little bit close. Let’s say 5 yards. Suddenly that 50 yard FG is a 48 yarder. Suddenly that 40 yard FG is a 38 yarder. And even extra points are just a little bit easier.

It the long run, this will play huge dividends. The difference between a 39 yard FG and a 41 yard FG is about 7% in conversion rate. Over the course of a few seasons, that’s a huge amount of conversions.

The real secret is don’t tell anybody you’re doing this. Don’t tell the refs, don’t tell the media, don’t tell anybody. Just move up a bit and reap the rewards. 

This is revolutionary 

I'm the one that's got it figured out!  We train our kickers to be QBs and then fake kick and pass the ball like a third of the time and keep everyone on edge.  Prove me wrong. . . .  😁

I'd imagine it has more to do with where Tyler Bass feels kicking best from rather than being dictated to. Move him up closer and you're setting yourself up for more blocks. The ball doesn't go straight off of his foot over the defenders outstretched hands. There's times where Bass needs to push it and it's dangerously low as is.

Billy Madison : So, you see, the puppy was like industry. In that, they were both lost in the woods. And nobody, especially the little boy - "society" - knew where to find 'em. Except that the puppy was a dog. But the industry, my friends, that was a revolution.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

The issue is getting enough height to avoid kicks being blocked

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I swear I think this thread is a joke. But you are 100% correct. If anything, I’d move the kicker back another 2 yards if it’s anything less than 40 yards. Almost ensuring they would never be blocked. And your kicker could kick with a much better angle for distance as well. 

• Agree 2

If we're going to do anything revolutionary on special teams, let's get rid of our punter, bet on our offense, and never punt the ball.  

Our scoring would go up.  So would our opponent's scoring - we'd just have to outpace them.  

We could use the extra roster spot on DL - McD loves to rotate there and keep guys fresh.  

49 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

If we're going to do anything revolutionary on special teams, let's get rid of our punter, bet on our offense, and never punt the ball.  

Our scoring would go up.  So would our opponent's scoring - we'd just have to outpace them.  

We could use the extra roster spot on DL - McD loves to rotate there and keep guys fresh.  

I’d love to see this. Although I would set some ground rules and keep the punter as there are certain times you just got to punt. 

Brilliant!

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The issue is getting enough height to avoid kicks being blocked

Sure, that’s why you run it in practice and see what happens.

I don’t deny that there’s a possibility that blocks go up and render the adjustment moot. But if blocks go up 1% and made FG’s go up 5%, you still win.

I love the keep it a secret part. Like, yeah let's not tell anybody. Hell we could keep it a secret from the entire league for at least. maybe, a quarter and a half of the first game. Brilliant!

5 hours ago, mrags said:

I swear I think this thread is a joke. But you are 100% correct. If anything, I’d move the kicker back another 2 yards if it’s anything less than 40 yards. Almost ensuring they would never be blocked. And your kicker could kick with a much better angle for distance as well. 

Is there an epidemic of blocked kicks in the NFL that I'm not aware of?

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There are some thoughts you should just keep to yourself.

I can’t keep them to myself any longer, damn you!

My new rules would be one of two things.

1- shrink the distance between the uprights. Kickers are way too good.

2- if not 1, then anything over a 40 yard FG is only 2 points. I don’t think a team that drives to the opponent's 5 yard line and kicks a 22 yard field goal should be rewarded the same as a team that only makes it to the 35 and kicks a 52 yard FG. 

Or, do both #1 and #2. 🤓

You have to kick the ball over a bunch of huge men, many of whom are jumping into the air to try to block it. If you move it closer, that gives the ball less distance to elevate. This means you will get kicks blocked far more frequently.

Someone smarter can do the math, but the amount of lost elevation over those two lost yards is going to be significant.

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

Do you really think that the kicking game is mathematically optimized? 

So I take it you feel that you’re the first guy to think of this, and that no kicker, or STs coach has ever  given any consideration to this hypothetical premise? Next thing ya know you will propose a kitchen sink disposal and make millions, millions I say…, 

I so do love this board, it shows I’m not the only one with “Ideas” 😁👍

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1