Poyer talks about 13 seconds

That was our year…to have a QB that on fire in the playoffs happens once in a lifetime…Flacco did it, and we should have done the same…what a shame…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

I'll keep posting this:

1) A colossal failure on the part of the Coaches. 

2) See #1 

Which is basically what I covered in my points #4 and #5

• Like (+1) 1

This biggest coaching blunder/ stupidity was not forcing KC to burn 4 seconds on a pooch return....Farwell scapegoat 1....then next two consecutive mistakes involved Frazier calling soft zone on the sidelines. Scapegoat 2...Maybe the microscope should be directed at the guy who hires these guys?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

If they run into that situation again, I would just not have anyone rush the QB.  They only have 13 seconds, they either have to throw something fast, or hold onto the ball longer, in which case its good for us.  They are going to do a quick throw so the rush isn't going to get there, and given the time, just put 11 guys in coverage and force a really tight throw.

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Awesome haven't had a nice chat about 13 seconds lately 

It’s been, well………at least 13 seconds. 

I didn’t check, sorry if I missed one. 

To the OP, it’s legit material, IMO. Tired, but legit. Not ragging on you. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Everything falls at the feet of coaching. If “we all made mistakes” than coaching didn’t prepare them like they should have. 

Sorry.  Maybe I should have said this:  There is no question the team wasn't prepared for the moment, and that of course is on McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Coaches could have coaches better. Players could have stepped up and played better. And for all the "defensive leadership" and experience on that D....not one of them had the forethought to put any input into the call, audible when they saw what was happening change up anything either.

It was a complete failure on the coaching staff from McDermott down and a complete failure on the players involved. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

McDermott Supporters and McDermott Detractors should suck it up and go to couples therapy. They rehash the same issues over and over--similar to what couples do.

A counselor can straighten that out once and for all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Augie said:

I only posted this because the Bills have been very tight lipped about 13 seconds.

But as time goes on the TRUTH will eventually leak out.

Poyer is now speaking out giving Bills fans info on what happened. 

You cannot suppress the truth forever and the fans deserve to know

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I only posted this because the Bills have been very tight lipped about 13 seconds.

But as time goes on the TRUTH will eventually leak out.

Poyer is now speaking out giving Bills fans info on what happened. 

You cannot suppress the truth forever and the fans deserve to know

Yeah, I think we will eventually even know what film stage they used to film the Moon landings! They can’t keep that secret forever! 

I’m over 13 seconds and who did what. I won’t rehash it (again!), but it’s history. Live and learn, then move on. Lordy! 

4 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

While appearing on "The Danza Project," former Bills safety Jordan Poyer was asked about the drive in which the Chiefs tied the game.

"From getting the ball back without much time, without squibbing the ball, and then [we] give up a freaking screen that goes 30 yards down the field to Tyreek [Hill]," Poyer said. "We [were] just playing soft zone. And you look back and you look at the "NFL Films" and you just see really how much more like connected [the Chiefs were] and they were just way better than us in that time."

Poyer was asked about the soft zones, and it was pointed out that Leslie Frazier seemed to call a lot of those styles of defenses, but Poyer didn't point any fingers. 

"You can point fingers here and there and elsewhere," Poyer said. "It was just an entire operation. There's not really one finger that you can point at all because it was the entire end of our game operation that wasn't good enough."

Sounds like a McDermott issue

https://atozsports.com/buffalo/former-buffalo-bills-safety-jordan-poyer-13-seconds/

Class response by Poyer not taking the offered opportunity to throw anyone under the bus

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Come on.

Yes, absolutely the ST coach should have called a squib.

But McDermott couldn't spoken to him through the head phones and said "Lets make sure we do the squib here.  I REPEAT - LETS MAKE SURE WE DO THE SQUIB HERE !!!"

What was McDermott doing during that critical time in the game ?  Leaving the responsibility for such a critical call to someone else ???

Everyone was on the same page for the squib but the kicker. Bass was warming up when everyone else was preparing. Nobody told him. He should have known, but he didn't. Literally everyone was stunned that it wasn't a squib except the kicker.

It was a breakdown in communication. The ST coordinator needs to make sure all his players get the call, and he didn't.

And then everyone lost their minds and had no idea what to do, and that is a preparation and situational football issue. McDermott and everyone else on defense crapped the bed.

I think if Poyer is annoyed with anything it is about still getting questions about this year's later.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beast said:

It has been beat to death about the squib kick. There is a reason the ST coach was fired and Leslie didn’t come back. 

It’s the first thing Poyer mentions - I’ll take that as the players absolutely believed it should have been a Squibb that wasn’t called.  

4 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I'm just gonna keep posting this anytime someone brings up that game....

Several factors contributed to the loss

1) 13 seconds

2) they had all three time outs left

3) they had Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill

4) some Bills players and coaches were already celebrating on the sidelines like the game was over

5) they only needed a FG to tie and go to OT. 

If the 2020 Bills got the ball back down 3 with 13 seconds and 3 TO’s, I would 100% believe that Josh, Prime Stef, Beasley, Brown and Gabe were still alive to tie game.

Upgrade everyone to Mahomes, Kelce, Hill and yeah, for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to. Facts just twist the truth around.

And we're . . . still waiting!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

That was our year…to have a QB that on fire in the playoffs happens once in a lifetime…Flacco did it, and we should have done the same…what a shame…

Still would have had the Bengals the next week...

I commend  Poyer for not taking the cheese and throwing anyone under the bus. It would of been easy for him to do so, now that he's left the organization but he he is all class. Respect the dude. Wish him nothing but the best going forward in life.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Let me ask something...who in thee hell in the entire league has been able to cover Travis Kelce or Tyrrek Hill in the last 5 seasons?? 

We rushed four and couldn't get there...dropped everyone else into coverage which was futile AND they got a bunch of YaC. 

Just one of those things...like the Hail Murry TD bomb...shi..stuff happens!

Let...it...go! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Poyer handled it with tact, credit to him for that. Of course he was part of the defensive collapse out there so he had to tread carefully. Tragically McDermott and his coaches were so afraid of giving up one big play, they simply allowed it in small pieces. Protecting the sidelines and leaving the middle open when kc had TO’s was as bad a blunder as not squibbing the kick. Tho I am not convinced that they thought the squib was the best course. Somewhere in his risk adverse mind McD worried the kick wouldn’t go deep enough. 13 was the worst Billsey loss ever. It’s on McDermott. What makes even worse to this day is Coach McD didn’t take responsibility, and he should have. “This loss is on me. I didn't  properly guide the team during the last 13 seconds. “ Instead he talked gibberish like some corporate weasel. I threw out a bunch of bills gear after that night. What a bunch of screw up coaches .

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He didn’t say anything new. He could’ve easily thrown coaching under the bus and didn’t. 

I think the fact Tyreek Hill went 60 yards the previous play terrified the coaches. I wish they just played it tight with safety help but that’s the exact defense they played the play before 13 seconds that Hill torched every single player on defense.

The big issue was likely the deep kick. They would only have time for 2 plays not 3. But the Chiefs would’ve won on a Hail Mary touchdown pass anyways.

You say that like it's a certainty which is pretty laughable.

7 hours ago, Process said:

Of course it was a coaching issue. We all know that. The defense they lined up in was 100000% a play you call in the very specific situation where the offense has very little time and ZERO TIMEOUTS. They lined up way back and we're defending the sidelines. 

Whoever was calling the plays had a panic attack and forgot KC had timeouts. It's the only explanation.

That's why he mentions that even a college team could have went down the field. Because KC didn't have to do anything. We left the middle wide open as if time would run out. 

It was an all time blunder. One of the biggest botched endings in NFL history. 

It's pretty much ancient history at this point (most of the players and coaches involved aren't even with the Bills anymore), but I think this is basically true. Levi Wallace was locking down the sideline as if KC had no timeouts. Either he screwed it up, or the play call was wrong for the situation.

9 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

It's pretty much ancient history at this point (most of the players and coaches involved aren't even with the Bills anymore), but I think this is basically true. Levi Wallace was locking down the sideline as if KC had no timeouts. Either he screwed it up, or the play call was wrong for the situation.

I’m very interested to see if they sign Levi Wallace this offseason. I mean he had a very bad last 3 plays of the 4th quarter. 

The 64 yard TD he gave up to Hill he’s actually playing inside leverage. Meaning he was set up to stop the route Hill ran and still didn’t even touch him.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

7 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

On first down I still don't understand why the Defense didn't hold Hill and Kelce right off the line. Sure we'd get the 5 yard Defensive holding call but it would've been a play that killed 5 seconds. That leaves them 1 play to get into FG range.

Thumbs up to Poyer for not really throwing anyone under the bus.

I've said this over and over again since this happened . Tackle both Kelsey and Tyreek at the line and get a whopping 5 yard penalty and a 1st down to kill the clock at least 5 seconds for the first down then do it again the next play. The game would have been over on the 3rd play.  And even that wouldn't have mattered had they squib kicked it and wasted 5 seconds maybe more on the kickoff. The players were spent and they failed to execute during the 13 seconds but the McD was the ultimately to blame for all of it. He needed to make sure that squib kick happened not the ST coach, He needed to confer with Frazier and work out the defensive plan and the some strategy and he utterly failed!

8 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

While appearing on "The Danza Project," former Bills safety Jordan Poyer was asked about the drive in which the Chiefs tied the game.

"From getting the ball back without much time, without squibbing the ball, and then [we] give up a freaking screen that goes 30 yards down the field to Tyreek [Hill]," Poyer said. "We [were] just playing soft zone. And you look back and you look at the "NFL Films" and you just see really how much more like connected [the Chiefs were] and they were just way better than us in that time."

Poyer was asked about the soft zones, and it was pointed out that Leslie Frazier seemed to call a lot of those styles of defenses, but Poyer didn't point any fingers. 

"You can point fingers here and there and elsewhere," Poyer said. "It was just an entire operation. There's not really one finger that you can point at all because it was the entire end of our game operation that wasn't good enough."

Sounds like a McDermott issue

https://atozsports.com/buffalo/former-buffalo-bills-safety-jordan-poyer-13-seconds/

So everything in what you posted suggested it’s a Frazier issue and then you end it with saying it was a McD issue?  

Doesn't really make sense 

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Should have never rushed 4.  I couldn't believe they did.  They played D like KC needed a TD.  Massive coaching errors.

When we blitzed and lost a game on the blitz this season everyone said should have only rushed 4.  

Doesn’t matter what he did or called…when it doesn’t work everyone says it should have been the opposite.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Sorry.  Maybe I should have said this:  There is no question the team wasn't prepared for the moment, and that of course is on McDermott. 

One of the greatest coaching blunders in NFL history.  And long after we're all dead people justifiably will still be lamenting on this stupidity. So get used to it for 13s will be discussed,  debated and analyzed forever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It wouldn’t still be an issue if there was an actual explanation given and responsibility taken at the time. 

Agonizing over it isn’t productive or healing. We have a different roster and staff. Time to move forward. Besides there’s some terrible new way to find out how to lose.  I thought 13 seconds was bad until Cincinnatti, then Denver, then Philly. 

In retrospect, 13 seconds was the one loss that was terrible to us, but everyone else still gave us our flowers for. So much so that they favored us the next season. We all knew the playoffs were a given and the only question was how deep of a run would it be. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952f7bj9nnjfy5vqgdok65

I still maintain it would’ve been better for the Bills to be up 2, not 3, with :13 seconds left because I think the entire defensive focus would’ve changed…

“Can’t let them score a FG.”

Bills played as if “can’t lose the game on a TD.”

12 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

I'll keep posting this:

1) A colossal failure on the part of the Coaches. 

2) See #1 

And I'll keep posting this:

The only thing worse than the failure on the field has been the failure to address this for going on three years.  The fans and the players (especially the ones remaining from that squad) deserve complete transparency from McDermott.  It's the only way we'll ever be able to start moving on from this.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Levi has accepted he blew the call. Has said so publicly. He played it wrong.

8 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I've said this over and over again since this happened . Tackle both Kelsey and Tyreek at the line and get a whopping 5 yard penalty and a 1st down to kill the clock at least 5 seconds for the first down then do it again the next play. The game would have been over on the 3rd play.  And even that wouldn't have mattered had they squib kicked it and wasted 5 seconds maybe more on the kickoff. The players were spent and they failed to execute during the 13 seconds but the McD was the ultimately to blame for all of it. He needed to make sure that squib kick happened not the ST coach, He needed to confer with Frazier and work out the defensive plan and the some strategy and he utterly failed!

I never understood the complaints over not squib kicking the ball. On a kickoff the clock doesn't start running until someone on the receiving team touches the ball. If the person who touches the ball just falls on it, the clock won't run off more than a second. You know Big Andy had his team well coached for that situation.

We’re lucky to witness this Josh Allen led era of Bills football. I don’t like to nitpick, but only one thing bothers me about the current team. The Chiefs are better than us seems to be the mantra of this franchise. I realize the Chiefs are three time champs, but we need a little more swagger. We need to believe we are as good as them, we need believe we are a Super Bowl team. Instead, I hear coaches and players state the other side is just better. That’s not the mindset of champions. This team has a lot to be proud of, but I wish the public statements that hint KC is better would stop. 

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

One of the greatest coaching blunders in NFL history.  And long after we're all dead people justifiably will still be lamenting on this stupidity. So get used to it for 13s will be discussed,  debated and analyzed forever.

The only stupidity is remaining emotional about it years later. I’m not dead yet, but I’m over it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1