Poyer talks about 13 seconds

While appearing on "The Danza Project," former Bills safety Jordan Poyer was asked about the drive in which the Chiefs tied the game.

"From getting the ball back without much time, without squibbing the ball, and then [we] give up a freaking screen that goes 30 yards down the field to Tyreek [Hill]," Poyer said. "We [were] just playing soft zone. And you look back and you look at the "NFL Films" and you just see really how much more like connected [the Chiefs were] and they were just way better than us in that time."

Poyer was asked about the soft zones, and it was pointed out that Leslie Frazier seemed to call a lot of those styles of defenses, but Poyer didn't point any fingers. 

"You can point fingers here and there and elsewhere," Poyer said. "It was just an entire operation. There's not really one finger that you can point at all because it was the entire end of our game operation that wasn't good enough."

Sounds like a McDermott issue

https://atozsports.com/buffalo/former-buffalo-bills-safety-jordan-poyer-13-seconds/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Sad 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

I'm just gonna keep posting this anytime someone brings up that game....

Several factors contributed to the loss

1) 13 seconds

2) they had all three time outs left

3) they had Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill

4) some Bills players and coaches were already celebrating on the sidelines like the game was over

5) they only needed a FG to tie and go to OT. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Nice subjective reading.  He said "we all made mistakes."  He included himself.  Not just McDermott.

There is no question the team wasn't prepared for the moment, and that of course is on McDermott.   However, he said "we all made mistakes, and the clear implication is that a lot of different people could have done things differently.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

While appearing on "The Danza Project," former Bills safety Jordan Poyer was asked about the drive in which the Chiefs tied the game.

"From getting the ball back without much time, without squibbing the ball, and then [we] give up a freaking screen that goes 30 yards down the field to Tyreek [Hill]," Poyer said. "We [were] just playing soft zone. And you look back and you look at the "NFL Films" and you just see really how much more like connected [the Chiefs were] and they were just way better than us in that time."

Poyer was asked about the soft zones, and it was pointed out that Leslie Frazier seemed to call a lot of those styles of defenses, but Poyer didn't point any fingers. 

"You can point fingers here and there and elsewhere," Poyer said. "It was just an entire operation. There's not really one finger that you can point at all because it was the entire end of our game operation that wasn't good enough."

https://atozsports.com/buffalo/former-buffalo-bills-safety-jordan-poyer-13-seconds/

Blaming that loss on McD is the same as blaming the super bowl loss to the Giants on the kicker Norwood . 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice subjective reading.  He said "we all made mistakes."  He included himself.  Not just McDermott.

There is no question the team wasn't prepared for the moment, and that of course is on McDermott.   However, he said "we all made mistakes, and the clear implication is that a lot of different people could have done things differently.  

Everything falls at the feet of coaching. If “we all made mistakes” than coaching didn’t prepare them like they should have. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's exactly this, he doesn't say who called the defense he ways it's on all of them, and he's right. Did Frasier call the defense, maybe but McDermott is the defensive minded HC who should see that and say Hell NO! So it doesn't matter if it was Fraisier or McDermott who called that series we still should have done better and that's on the defensive system as a whole.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

1) 13 seconds

4) some Bills players and coaches were already celebrating on the sidelines like the game was over

I'll keep posting this:

1) A colossal failure on the part of the Coaches. 

2) See #1 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7
  • Dislike 2

He didn’t say anything new. He could’ve easily thrown coaching under the bus and didn’t. 

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

I'll keep posting this:

1) A colossal failure on the part of the Coaches. 

2) See #1 

I think the fact Tyreek Hill went 60 yards the previous play terrified the coaches. I wish they just played it tight with safety help but that’s the exact defense they played the play before 13 seconds that Hill torched every single player on defense.

The big issue was likely the deep kick. They would only have time for 2 plays not 3. But the Chiefs would’ve won on a Hail Mary touchdown pass anyways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

In a previous playoff game against KC & Mahomes, the then mighty Patriots gave up a scoring drive in 16 seconds.

It's football. It happens. It's not a desirable outcome, but even the best make mistakes & stuff happens.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's exactly this, he doesn't say who called the defense he ways it's on all of them, and he's right. Did Frasier call the defense, maybe but McDermott is the defensive minded HC who should see that and say Hell NO! So it doesn't matter if it was Fraisier or McDermott who called that series we still should have done better and that's on the defensive system as a whole.

add on the same commentary on the kickoff debacle and…. 

the whole operation was bad is coded “leadership failed”

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

36 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Poyer: " and you just see really how much more like connected [the Chiefs were] and they were just way better than us in that time."

Why were the Chiefs so much better than us in that time ?

The buck stops at McDermott.

He's the HEAD coach !

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Poyer: " and you just see really how much more like connected [the Chiefs were] and they were just way better than us in that time."

Why were the Chiefs so much better than us in that time ?

The buck stops at McDermott.

He's the HEAD coach !

Kelce and Mahomes literally drew up a play in the dirt based on the look they got. 

Think about the final 3 offensive plays the Chiefs ran in the 4th. That was all the players.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

It has been beat to death about the squib kick. There is a reason the ST coach was fired and Leslie didn’t come back. 

Those were the guys who fell on the sword for what happened.

But McDermott never took any responsibility.

In fact, he avoided talking about it at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

13 seconds was mainly a McDermott issue. From the squib decision to the defences called to the 2nd timeout. But we also know Levi screwed the second play up and played the wrong leverage. And Jordan knows that because he was madly gesturing at him before the play. He could see it was about to go wrong. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7

On first down I still don't understand why the Defense didn't hold Hill and Kelce right off the line. Sure we'd get the 5 yard Defensive holding call but it would've been a play that killed 5 seconds. That leaves them 1 play to get into FG range.

Thumbs up to Poyer for not really throwing anyone under the bus.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Of course it was a coaching issue. We all know that. The defense they lined up in was 100000% a play you call in the very specific situation where the offense has very little time and ZERO TIMEOUTS. They lined up way back and we're defending the sidelines. 

Whoever was calling the plays had a panic attack and forgot KC had timeouts. It's the only explanation.

That's why he mentions that even a college team could have went down the field. Because KC didn't have to do anything. We left the middle wide open as if time would run out. 

It was an all time blunder. One of the biggest botched endings in NFL history. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Great of Poyer to not point fingers even though he’s no longer on the team. You can tell it still bothers him.

The team really need to let this go and move forward. It seems like they’re still stuck on this game and what could’ve been. I know most fans definitely are. Time to move on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Of course it was a coaching issue. We all know that. The defense they lined up in was 100000% a play you call in the very specific situation where the offense has very little time and ZERO TIMEOUTS. They lined up way back and we're defending the sidelines. 

Whoever was calling the plays had a panic attack and forgot KC had timeouts. It's the only explanation.

That's why he mentions that even a college team could have went down the field. Because KC didn't have to do anything. We left the middle wide open as if time would run out. 

It was an all time blunder. One of the biggest botched endings in NFL history. 

I keep saying it but this was the play before 13 seconds. Bills in press man with safety help over top.

Tyreek Hill Peace GIF by The Undroppables

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Great of Poyer to not point fingers even though he’s no longer on the team. You can tell it still bothers him.

The team really need to let this go and move forward. It seems like they’re still stuck on this game and what could’ve been. I know most fans definitely are. Time to move on. 

I thought it was great to hear it from a player's perspective.

The team has been really hush hush about this.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Wait, how do you come away from that and say it's a McDermott issue? I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning..

A. The ST coach should've called a squib, obviously.  

.B. Frazier called the plays. But you claim it's a McDermott issue🙄

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I keep saying it but this was the play before 13 seconds. Bills in press man with safety help over top.

Tyreek Hill Peace GIF by The Undroppables

I said since that game that this was the main killer. They were so afraid of Reek from the series before that they went super,ultra soft coverage 

But if the stoopid ST coordinator simply kicks a squib, we win.. smh.. that was so gut wrenching 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Wait, how do you come away from that and say it's a McDermott issue? I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning..

A. The ST coach should've called a squib, obviously.  

.B. Frazier called the plays. But you claim it's a McDermott issue🙄

I said since that game that this was the main killer. They were so afraid of Reek from the series before that they went super,ultra soft coverage 

But if the stoopid ST coordinator simply kicks a squib, we win.. smh.. that was so gut wrenching 

Come on.

Yes, absolutely the ST coach should have called a squib.

But McDermott couldn't spoken to him through the head phones and said "Lets make sure we do the squib here.  I REPEAT - LETS MAKE SURE WE DO THE SQUIB HERE !!!"

What was McDermott doing during that critical time in the game ?  Leaving the responsibility for such a critical call to someone else ???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He didn’t say anything new. He could’ve easily thrown coaching under the bus and didn’t. 

I think the fact Tyreek Hill went 60 yards the previous play terrified the coaches. I wish they just played it tight with safety help but that’s the exact defense they played the play before 13 seconds that Hill torched every single player on defense.

The big issue was likely the deep kick. They would only have time for 2 plays not 3. But the Chiefs would’ve won on a Hail Mary touchdown pass anyways.

I agree completely.  I was terrified of Tyreek Hill touching the ball again, which is why I was actually relieved to see them kick it deep through the endzone (also, we have some very deep special teams scar tissue as Bills fans).  The staff was justifiably terrified of Hill's speed and playmaking ability, opted for the safest approach possible to avoid losing the game in regulation, and Mahomes/Kelce/Hill/Butker/Reid made them pay.  Can you imagine if we had squibbed it and it gets lateralled to Hill and he takes it to the house, or we played tight man and Hill catches a crosser and goes 70 yards to end it in regulation?  At the end of the day, it is what it is.  The Chiefs were a great team with great coaching, and they were just better than us in the big moment.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

Guys, get over it!

It was a great game!

I blame the guy who called the defense in Frazier who was old school with his "bend but don't break" schemes. He didn't want to see a big play and instead died by a few slashes. Frazier was schooled by Reid. 

Buffalo had the #1 overall defense that season too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Come on.

Yes, absolutely the ST coach should have called a squib.

But McDermott couldn't spoken to him through the head phones and said "Lets make sure we do the squib here.  I REPEAT - LETS MAKE SURE WE DO THE SQUIB HERE !!!"

What was McDermott doing during that critical time in the game ?  Leaving the responsibility for such a critical call to someone else ???

It appeared that everyone on ST's was ready for a squib kick.  Everyone but Bass.   Apparently no one pulled him aside to tell him.  You could see the teams players throwing their arms out when the ball was kicked like...WTF????

Look....I know he doesn't want to point fingers, and no, I don't know who made all the individual calls, but I'm sorry.....if you are an NFL head coach, especially a defensive minded head coach, you kill that time off every time and it's not ever even close.  Heck, most people that just watch and understand the game and never have coached a single down of football gets you out of that game with a win.

1.  Squib kick - Probably gets you down to single digits and the Chiefs have 2 plays maximum.

2.  Safeties deep and corners jam everyone off the line.  You either force an incompletion, or a moderate completion.  Either way, you are burning almost the rest of the time off the clock.  I mean, the game can't end on a defensive penalty, but get super physical at that time.  Force the refs to call something.  If they do, you get a penalty, but depending on what's called, who knows.....you still take valuable time off the clock while sacrificing little yardage.

3.  Force the hail mary at worst.  You execute the 2 things above, at worst you are forcing a prayer at the end and not letting them even have a shot at a FG.

And the thing is, there are even more ways than what I laid out here to get out of this game with a win.  It isn't rocket science.  In fact, it is closer to common sense.  It shouldn't even be a thing that NFL coaches have to necessarily prepare for.  Killing 13 seconds shouldn't be a concern.  So yeah.....I don't know who made what calls in that sequence, but if you ask me, your head coach should be able to take over that situation, lay it all out, and get out of the game.  You will not convince me the Chiefs were the better team on the field.  They definitely had the better coaches on the sideline, though.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

1) 13 seconds

And I will keep posting, it was a DECISION to blow that game. There is absolutely zero excuse of any kind to screw that up. Kick it in bounds and the game is over or at the very least they have to attempt a mid field Hail Mary. 

I love this team, I love the players and think McD made some real strides as a coach this year after the debacle with Denver but he carries that loss to his grave. A child could have gotten out of there with a win. 

Edited by blitzboy54
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

1) 13 seconds

Sorry, no excuses for the soul crushing, mindless coaching that set the stage for the poor tackling and coverage we had all game to give KC life in OT. You Kick the ball inbounds  taking 5 seconds off the clock. You can’t allow Hill or Kelce to get free releases with 13 seconds, even if you tackle them at the line or hold. I’ll trade 5 yds for 6 seconds in that scenario.Their other receivers couldn’t get them into FG position and if they did I could live with it. Sean and the DC decided, , inexplicably to protect the sidelines and leave the middle of the field open. The TOs didn’t factor in because there should have time for 2 plays and a Hail Mary. Sean knows he blew it playing soft zone and letting Hill do his thing with the toreador tackling and defender deployed on the sideline. Every time I think of it I want to throw up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Are you nuts, criticizing McD as if he has anything to do with it.  You should know better by now.  

As to the statement is a ridiculous one.  He says that as if it was a big mystery what playing a "soft zone" (or whatever) would allow Mahomes/Hill/Kelce do.  

Is his answer the same as to why they played 10+ yards of the LoS against Cincy in short-yardage situations too.

Yeah, we played a two-man front and everyone else was in the end zone, he was able to run it in.  No one was really to blame.

Of course no one was to blame, we won't find out what really happened for years.  All we know is that the guy at the top of the pyramid has nothing to do with it.

LOL SMH

Edited by PBF81
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

On first down I still don't understand why the Defense didn't hold Hill and Kelce right off the line. Sure we'd get the 5 yard Defensive holding call but it would've been a play that killed 5 seconds. That leaves them 1 play to get into FG range.

THIS x's 1,000!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Thumbs up to Poyer for not really throwing anyone under the bus.

Because there has been a rule preventing that since 2017. It is 12.3.3 in the NFL rulebook. It reads:

ARTICLE 3. INTENTIONAL FOULS TO MANIPULATE GAME CLOCK

A team may not commit multiple fouls during the same down in an attempt to manipulate the game clock.

Penalty: For multiple fouls to run off time from the game clock: Loss of 15 yards, and the game clock will be reset to where it was at the snap. After the penalty is enforced, the game clock will start on the next snap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

It appeared that everyone on ST's was ready for a squib kick.  Everyone but Bass.   Apparently no one pulled him aside to tell him.  You could see the teams players throwing their arms out when the ball was kicked like...WTF????

Bass messed that up? Shocking...