Buffalo Gets 4th round comp pick

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

except it seems like they lose NONE of their many quality players.  I don’t understand how this works.

Niners traded for CMC because they knew the league would stockpile picks back to them. Disgraceful. 

Their QB is playing for $300 and a room in the back corner.

16 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

except it seems like they lose NONE of their many quality players.  I don’t understand how this works.

Niners traded for CMC because they knew the league would stockpile picks back to them. Disgraceful. 

Yes explaining how Jimmy G has more of an impact on the raiders when he was benched half the season over Tremaine Edmunds who started every game for the bears is mind boggling and after this news.

I also think Beane is either 1 more active in free agency then he first thought or 2 now possibly plans on trading back to early round 2 to recomp a 3rd 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1

The news is public today but I wonder when teams were told and whether this played any part in Beane's decision to trade Bates for a 5th? It only saved $1.4m of cap and he spent more than that on Edwards (who he could have let walk and paid nothing). 

I wonder if he knew he didn't have a third and thought three 5ths and two 4ths would give him enough firepower to get back into the top 100. The two 4ths and the 5th from the Bears OR our first 4th and the three 5ths both get us back into the last half dozen picks or so of round 3. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

then why did every mock and publication seemingly have us at pick 99? 

this comp pick “formula” should happen within weeks of the season ending

Because it would appear based on the 9ers also having the Jimmy G pick that was equally predicted as a third knocked down (see they were affected too) that time missed has taken both Edmunds and Garropolo out of the 3rd round range they were in by contract value and reduced them to round 4. 

And it has happened within weeks of the season ending. This coming Sunday will be 4 weeks on from the Superbowl.

The 2 picks the Bills now have in the 4th PLUS the 3 5th rounders combined might get them a mid to late 3rd.  And they really can’t afford to trade 5 picks for that 3rd.

I think they will look to trade back out of the first - maybe 10 plus spots to try to work a deal (throwing in a 4th or 5th) to get a 3rd rounder.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I was responding to the fella who said comp picks have slim to none chance of contributing. Naturally, a 4th round comp can make a difference, but what folks are unhappy about is losing the 3rd round comp, and in those terms, the individual that was dismissive of them was essentially saying it's no big deal, because comp picks in general don't matter. 

Anyway, if you find that humorous, have at it. Seems to me the loss of a day 2 pick, even at the end of the third round, makes it harder for Beane to maneuver. The real blow is that folks were led to believe the formula was sufficiently understood, and that the 3rd was a safe assumption. 

I agree a 3rd is better than a 4th, and it makes it slightly more difficult to obtain the players they’ve coveting, but this is no excuse for Bean not to get this roster right for September.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

True. They gave up peanuts for the best weapon in football besides tyreek hill because they know they’re getting comp picks back later on. They fleece poorly run franchises like the cowboys for guys like Trey Lance and the redskins for the best LT in football. Now they get young and cheap at certain spots this year and also can make big moves in free agency. And they can afford to pay their HOF talent at many spots as well. 

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yes explaining how Jimmy G has more of an impact on the raiders when he was benched half the season over Tremaine Edmunds who started every game for the bears is mind boggling and after this news.

I also think Beane is either 1 more active in free agency then he first thought or 2 now possibly plans on trading back to early round 2 to recomp a 3rd 

Edmunds missed 2 games. But he did still play 92% of defensive snaps for the Bears so if that was what knocked him down that feels like an incredibly high threshold. And yea, if it was that Jimmy G (also a 4th) being a pick ahead after playing far less is odd.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m ok with a move down, but it won’t recoup a 3rd unless they move down quite a ways.

Well perhaps it's a low 3rd (which they were expecting anyway) and the Bills have to give up one of their lower round picks in exchange.  

Just now, jkeerie said:

Well perhaps it's a low 3rd (which they were expecting anyway) and the Bills have to give up one of their lower round picks in exchange.  

Yes, that’s possible.  I think if they go back about 10 spots and add in one of their late 4ths, they might get into the back end of the 3rd.

32 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He's practically forced to now. Thanks Goodell,  we basically have no shot at Thomas or Mitchell.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This fan base is obsessed with comp picks lol What are the odds the guy we take with it matters? Slim to none.

We needed that 3rd round pick to have any shot at moving up a few spots for Thomas or Mitchell. You can kiss that option goodbye. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We needed that 3rd round pick to have any shot at moving up a few spots for Thomas or Mitchell. You can kiss that option goodbye. 

Thomas might make it into the 20’s

4, 5, 6 and a pick next year moves you up there.  

to get our 3rd back…

We could probably trade both 4’s and a late pick next year for a 3rd?  Or a 4, 5, 6 for a 3?

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Correct if I'm wrong but isn't this the 2nd time the NFL screwed us on the comp formula? Maybe it was Jarious Byrd ? Or maybe someone else anyone remember?

Second? SECOND? Maybe the SEVENTY-SECOND... If it weren't for Belly-cheat's dog calling in the picks, New England would have fielded a roster of HOFers from 2000-2017! As it was, they "only" won six SBs... 

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Edmunds missed 2 games. But he did still play 92% of defensive snaps for the Bears so if that was what knocked him down that feels like an incredibly high threshold. And yea, if it was that Jimmy G (also a 4th) being a pick ahead after playing far less is odd.

That makes so little sense for how the comp pick forumla should work, I mean you lose the player because he gets paid a contract in Free agency that you can't match given whatever situation your team is in with your players and cap situation, WTF does an injury that happens way down the road in the middle of the season have to do with it.

I mean what if he'd been struck by lightning in the middle of the season, god forbid, that's going to count against the FA loss formula for us because reasons?

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Thomas might make it into the 20’s

4, 5, 6 and a pick next year moves you up there.  

to get our 3rd back…

We could probably trade both 4’s and a late pick next year for a 3rd?  Or a 4, 5, 6 for a 3?

Beane doesn't trade next year picks. The only time he ever has is for a player Midseason. Even then, he always tries to recoup a pick later to make up for it.

He's always in the market to add more, not give those away. Anything's possible. But history says it's pretty unlikely he's going to trade multiple picks from next year away.

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Beane doesn't trade next year picks. The only time he ever has is for a player Midseason. Even then, he always tries to recoup a pick later to make up for it.

He's always in the market to add more, not give those away. Anything's possible. But history says it's pretty unlikely he's going to trade multiple picks from next year away.

He traded a 3rd for Douglass thinking he was going to get that 3rd back.

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

He traded a 3rd for Douglass thinking he was going to get that 3rd back.

Right, a Midseason trade for a Player. And one where he made sure to get a pick back (a 3rd for Douglas and a 5th) in return so he wasn't straight up losing one.

1 minute ago, ToGoGo said:

Look, Douglas was worth whatever we lost out on here. 

Let’s see the big picture and move on. 

Facts, he's a stud, Wish Tre could stay healthy , kinda heartbreaking 

I'll be rooting for Tre,Po,Hyde,Mitch 

26 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That makes so little sense for how the comp pick forumla should work, I mean you lose the player because he gets paid a contract in Free agency that you can't match given whatever situation your team is in with your players and cap situation, WTF does an injury that happens way down the road in the middle of the season have to do with it.

I mean what if he'd been struck by lightning in the middle of the season, god forbid, that's going to count against the FA loss formula for us because reasons?

typically actual play impacts it essentially zero

they are predicted before the season with 99% accuracy normally. The miss here is really surprising honestly. 

everyone says secret formula but it’s pretty close to exactly modeled by several fans that take the time to do it every offseason

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The 3rd is cuz their minority DC got hired as HC in Houston.

Then we better get some minority coaches in here STAT, so we can reap the rewards when they get promoted elsewhere…

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Then we better get some minority coaches in here STAT, so we can reap the rewards when they get promoted elsewhere…

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

one should simply be able to “identify” as a minority and be considered as such for the benefit of the organization. I mean why not. That insanity happens in every aspect of society now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'll say Beane will turn the 11 picks into no less than 8 to have a pick in Rounds 1-4.

Round 1, Pick 28

Round 2, Pick 60

Round 4, Pick 129

Round 4, Pick 133 (via compensatory)

Round 5, Pick 143 (from CHI)

Round 5, Pick 159 (from GB)

Round 5, Pick 162

Round 6, Pick 198 (from LAR)

Round 6, Pick 202 (from DAL)

Round 6, Pick 206

Round 7, Pick 246

• Thank you (+1) 1