Buffalo Gets 4th round comp pick

This ain’t good … downgraded …

No third round pick 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Well that was a giant fail. What happened to the 3rd?

Im assuming they got jumped by the teams getting picks for their minority coaches ? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No third round pick 

Im assuming they got jumped by the teams getting picks for their minority coaches ? 

They should reward teams that actually hire minority head coaches. I always thought that was backwards.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Nobody knows.

Exactly this.  The constant guarantee that people think they know about these comp picks drive me nuts.  The NFL just awards them how they want.  

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

The 3rd is cuz their minority DC got hired as HC in Houston.

And I think McDaniel also counted as a minority hire, which is absurd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One theory I've seen is that the NFL supposedly factors in playing time with the comp pick formula. Edmunds missed time in 2022 so that may be the thing that screwed us.

Man this really really sucks. Beane traded for Rasul Douglas because he thought we had another 3rd round pick.

• Like (+1) 2

We lost our 3rd to the Rams because Raheem Morris was hired as a Head Coach by the Falcons. FFS. 

Jax's 3rd is Jawann Taylor

San Fran's 3rd is Demeco Ryans

Philly's 3rd is Javon Hargrave

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

One theory I've seen is that the NFL supposedly factors in playing time with the comp pick formula. Edmunds missed time in 2022 so that may be the thing that screwed us.

Man this really really sucks. Beane traded for Rasul Douglas because he thought we had another 3rd round pick.

Yep. That is a big mistake by Beane.

Edited by GunnerBill

Yikes.  Bad look for us to be operating under the assumption of a 3rd. 

Beane better start developing some minority coaches if we ever want to play the comp pick game apparently.  Can’t wait to have our DC & OC both hired in the next few years for nothing. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

How the F does San Francisco get FIVE comp picks, including a third and a fourth???

They did lose a lot of players.  They added some too, and javon hargrave got a big deal.  But Jimmy G, McGlinchey, Ebukam, Omenihu, Ward, Moseley and al-shaair all got 5M AAV or more after leaving SF.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

We lost our 3rd to the Rams because Raheem Morris was hired as a Head Coach by the Falcons. FFS. 

I could be wrong but I don't think that's how it works. I don't think there is a limit to the number of comp picks in a given round. Pretty sure the super secret comp pick formula just screwed us somehow.

Why the NFL doesn't make this information known I will never understand. Don't they want their GMs having all the facts when they make decisions? Think of all the work our front office and scouting departments have done on 3rd round targets, now all of that work is for nothing. So stupid.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is irritating.  Last year when Edmunds was walking there were so many people in terms of podcasters and posters on here saying we'd get a 3rd because it's a formula.

So to those of you who said it would be a 3rd, what happened?

We were the lowest 3rd and a minority coach got hired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yikes.  Bad look for us to be operating under the assumption of a 3rd. 

Beane better start developing some minority coaches if we ever want to play the comp pick game apparently.  Can’t wait to have our DC & OC both hired in the next few years for nothing. 

Well, :13 seconds cost us a chance at getting comp picks for Frazier.  Nobody was going to hire him as HC after that.  

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is irritating.  Last year when Edmunds was walking there were so many people in terms of podcasters and posters on here saying we'd get a 3rd because it's a formula.

So to those of you who said it would be a 3rd, what happened?

People talking out of their arse.  Is the number of 3rd round compensatory picks limited to 3?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I could be wrong but I don't think that's how it works. I don't think there is a limit to the number of comp picks in a given round. Pretty sure the super secret comp pick formula just screwed us somehow.

Why the NFL doesn't make this information known I will never understand. Don't they want their GMs having all the facts when they make decisions? Think of all the work our front office and scouting departments have done on 3rd round targets, now all of that work is for nothing. So stupid.

There is no set limit but there are parameters. I am pretty certain that has knocked us out.

21 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No third round pick 

No. There is no set maximum for each round.  This is disappointing. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. That is a big mistake by Beane.

They better extend Douglas now … get a couple years value for that 3rd round pick 

Just now, BarleyNY said:

No. There is no set maximum for each round.  This is disappointing. 

So what happened then ? 

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They should reward teams that actually hire minority head coaches. I always thought that was backwards.

I could not disagree more.  The teams that actually develop the minority coaches and GMs and help them become quality performers are the ones that should be rewarded. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

1 or 2 spots? 

On WGR they did a mock draft and a 4th allowed them to move up to 22 I believe. The difference was getting Brian Thomas jr or not. Worth it

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

On WGR they did a mock draft and a 4th allowed them to move up to 22 I believe. The difference was getting Brian Thomas jr or not. Worth it

Those idiots mustn’t have been paying attention to the last 2 drafts then when higher 4ths than this one only moved them up two spots in the first 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

So minority hiring actually affects the field of play?

Beginning of the end. 

No. If a team develops a minority that another team hires as their GM or HC, then the team that they were hired away from gets two 3rd round comp picks. One each in two consecutive years. The team that hires the person does not get any picks for it. 

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So what happened then ? 

Not sure. Maybe the league’s formula changed? OTC had been nailing all of the comp picks for years. They seemed to have it all dialed in. I’m shocked. 

Edited by BarleyNY