Bills resigning Rapp

Process

32 minutes ago, Success said:

We missed him against KC.  

He's a solid player, and still pretty young.  Good w/ this.

I agree.  I thought he was really starting to come on late in the season.  Plays with great energy.  Flies to the ball.  I like this signing.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I agree.  I thought he was really starting to come on late in the season.  Plays with great energy.  Flies to the ball.  I like this signing.

Stats support this, he only missed 3 (5.7%) and gave up 11 catches on 18 targets, which isn’t bad. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As long as he figures out how to pick up his effing head when arriving 2nd to the ball carrier moving forward, I'm happy with this. Lotta unfortunate and compromising collisions can be avoided if he stops lowering his helmet like a dummy. Mostly he'll do his own guys (and himself) a favor. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

As long as he figures out how to pick up his effing head when arriving 2nd to the ball carrier moving forward, I'm happy with this. Lotta unfortunate and compromising collisions can be avoided if he stops lowering his helmet like a dummy. Mostly he'll do his own guys (and himself) a favor. 

I agree.  I think we both love his aggressive play, but he makes some bone head decisions.  Pull it back 10%, get your head up and hit with controlled violence. 

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MWK said:

What a terrible deal. He was a liability last year. Personal fouls incoming.

He was one of our most physical defensive players. He didn’t play much because he was behind two all pros that McD was not sitting despite below average play. I thought when Poyer and Hyde were out the D looked stronger with Rapp filling in. 

• Agree 2

2 things:

1. "Up to" means best-case scenario. Maybe he only earns 10 million and he's a 3.4 million player. I can live with that. And if he hits incentives and makes 4.5 million a year, bully for him.

2. McD knows his secondary. He ain't perfect as a coach, far from it, but he knows his defensive backs. I'll trust his judgment here, especially after turning Poyer and Hyde into a top safety unit after they were JAGs, over other opinions here.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Thought he really came on last year - INT v Miami one of the best plays of the year.  

I think it was more a really poor decision and throw than a great play by Rapp.

My initial instinct is that I don't like this deal. At times I thought that Rapp was a liability on the field and he appears to be in the Jordan Phillips mold of committing incredibly stupid penalties at the worst times.

I'll wait to see what the contract actually looks like though before fully judging it. The initial headline pumped out by the agent is probably laughably overstated. But I think there will be true starting caliber safeties on the market for a similar cost so I don't know why we rushed to get this extension done.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

I hope it's for big nickel. But weird move, Beane. 

That's an interesting thought. Maybe they see him as Siran Neal's replacement, similar cost but gives you more on defense.

1 minute ago, TheWeatherMan said:

With all the DB”s available in a flooded FA market we resign this bum?  I don’t get it. 

If there is one position where I’ll give McDermott  the benefit of the doubt… its Safety 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Process said:

Looks like starters money to me..

6 hours ago, MWK said:

What a terrible deal. He was a liability last year. Personal fouls incoming.

Always wait for the details to come out on a contract.  "Up to" means, if he meets all the incentives.

Let's say there are $2.5M in incentives.  $12M/ 3years or $4M/yr is like 28th in the league money for a safety - yeah starter money but barely

I'm not a fan of this signing - I don't think he's fit to carry Poyer's cleats or Hyde's jock, but let's wait and see what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Process said:

Looks like starters money to me..

What In the world did Taylor Rapp do to earn a raise? Last I checked nobody wanted him last year and he signed for vet min. The Safety market is loaded in free agency what's the fricken hurry for? Rapp is always hurt every yr he gets injured definitely has some coverage flaws I hate this signing. 

• Dislike 1

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't mind it if it is a "he gives us a baseline going into FA and draft" but man.... if he is to start???? Big downgrade even on 2023 version of Jordan Poyer. 

They will bring in a FA and draft another guy ( at least 1)  … so let’s see if he beats them out to a starting role  …

I do think you have underestimated him a tad …he improved over the course of last year from a pretty crap start …

He is one of the more physical players they have on D … so perhaps that is  something that the new defensive coaches ( or scheme)  values more than previous..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They will bring in a FA and draft another guy ( at least 1)  … so let’s see if he beats them out to a starting role  …

I do think you have underestimated him a tad …he improved over the course of last year from a pretty crap start …

He is one of the more physical players they have on D … so perhaps that is  something that the new defensive coaches value more than previous..

I am not sure where the improvement you saw was because it didn't show up to me on tape. Even compared to 33 years olds Hyde and Poyer he was comfortably worse.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure where the improvement you saw was because it didn't show up to me on tape. Even compared to 33 years olds Hyde and Poyer he was comfortably worse.

In your opinion…

Obviously McDermott feels differently… does he have much of a history identifying talent at Safety?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

In your opinion…

Obviously McDermott feels differently… does he have much of a history identifying talent at Safety?

He also went into a season with Jaquan Johnson and Damar Hamlin as his only backups. He isn't unfallable.

• Like (+1) 1

my read is we run a scheme that takes away the big long stuff and is open to being misdirected and eaten up underneath (see all of our playoff losses vs reg season stats) so i think our brain trust figures they can scheme decent guys up to run the system, but need play making ability because if we don't make plays we just get ground up.

rapp seems to be out of place in coverage but has a green light and brings some lumber, so i suppose they figure he's going to improve in the former, but keep the latter in his second season w us.

our safety play was garbage in the kc home game, save one lucky hit by poy to get that turnover.  

To the people that think this is bad, go back and look at the comments when we signed Poyer and Hyde. Nobody thought those 2 would end up being what they were. Beane and McDermott arnt gonna sign a guy unless they think they can have an impact. Obviously it doesn't ALWAYS work (sherfield and Harty) but generally speaking, I trust beane and McDermott to know what they're doing. Nobody thought Bernard was gonna be good at middle linebacker, yet somehow every season we keep winning. So, let it play out 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Steptide said:

To the people that think this is bad, go back and look at the comments when we signed Poyer and Hyde. Nobody thought those 2 would end up being what they were. Beane and McDermott arnt gonna sign a guy unless they think they can have an impact. Obviously it doesn't ALWAYS work (sherfield and Harty) but generally speaking, I trust beane and McDermott to know what they're doing. Nobody thought Bernard was gonna be good at middle linebacker, yet somehow every season we keep winning. So, let it play out 

So I liked the Hyde signing. A lot actually. I didn't know anything about Poyer. 

On Rapp we have seen him in this defense. He isn't a total liability on the field but he os what he is. A replacement level starter. 

• Agree 1

Another case of this regime just getting married to a guy they have seen before and not going for the better option out there.

Rapp was not good, and to put the cherry on top, dude was always hurt when he had to play.

I don't even know how he fits McDermott's scheme.  All the guy does is give up long plays.