Bills resigning Rapp

Process

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

More than I wanted to pay him, but figured this would happen.  Was hoping it would be for 3-4M a year tho

Yeah not far off tho especially with the “up to” wording in that tweet

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

If there was EVER a position where McBeane deserves the benefit of the doubt, it MUST be safety don't ya think??

We had Rapp last year. We know what we are getting with him. Don’t know why you give him that kind of money. 

31 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We had Rapp last year. We know what we are getting with him. Don’t know why you give him that kind of money. 

You don't really know WHAT kind of money they're actually giving him, though. We have the absolute CEILING of the deal. That can be quite misleading. Come on, man

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

You don't really WHAT kind of money they're actually giving him, though. We have the absolute CEILING of the deal. That can be quite misleading. Come on, man

Hope so. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, MWK said:

What a terrible deal. He was a liability last year. Personal fouls incoming.

100% dude is awful in coverage. He’s a Heat Seeking missile and a good tackler. Not a fan and honestly surprised this is the direction we’re going at safety 

• Like (+1) 1

How many times does it need to be said that you should never, EVER take the first reported signing of a contract at face value? 

The devil is always, ALWAYS in the details. The first report of a signing or re-signing is always by the player's agent, and always stated in a way that makes it sound as favorable as possible for the player. Invariably, followup reports often show greater detail that make the deal seem a lot more fair and palatable.

And yet, every year, we continue to go through the "first announcement sticker shock". Every year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He is making under 5 mill per year. It's fine.

The concern is more that it’s a big enough contract that it means he will be a starter. No bueno. He was not close to starting caliber last season. I don’t know why they’d go this route, unless the incentives are large and one of them is % of snaps. That would mean he’s getting back up money if he’s a back up and starter money if he plays a lot. I hope that is what is happening. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

The concern is more that it’s a big enough contract that it means he will be a starter.

They have 2 starter roles to fill now at the position …

They will bring in another FA and draft someone so let’s see who misses out ..

40 minutes ago, NewEra said:

More than I wanted to pay him, but figured this would happen.  Was hoping it would be for 3-4M a year tho

Not too far off. He'll contribute. Shouldn't be too hard to live up to this contract.

6 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Don't like this at all.   With all of the options available at safety in free agency, one would think we could have done better.

I'd expect BB to draft one and develop.

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Not a fan of this move, but with Poyer cut and Hyde gone, he was the only S around that knows the system and can arguably called a starter.  

I have a lot of faith in McD when it comes the backfield. I thought signing Hyde and Poyer was taking someone else back ups and being done on the cheap. Got that wrong. He knows what he's doing. If Rapp is his guy, I'm good with it.

Edited by Green Lightning
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He was a disappointment last year. I would have been fine if they had just gone with two new guys and a draft pick.  

Oh well.  Beane usually has one or two overpays per year.  This seems like one. 

Beane probably playing the comp pick game … didn’t want to bring in two FA’s and miss out on a comp pick … still got another few holes to fill 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Beane probably playing the comp pick game … didn’t want to bring in two FA’s and miss out on a comp pick … still got another few holes to fill 

Hope so. We still are going to lose multiple FAs - Dodson, Jackson, Epenesa, and Davis for sure. It should be rather easy for Beane to be net negative especially with 11 draft picks to play with. 

25 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Usually when the report is “up to” it’s not too great for the player. Don’t mind this one. Probably ends up at 3-4M per season. 

Which is double his salary and in a year that the market is flooded. Never mind he was coming off a year that he started when we signed him. I seriously do But he would have been in high demand in the market. 

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Hope so. We still are going to lose multiple FAs - Dodson, Jackson, Epenesa, and Davis for sure. It should be rather easy for Beane to be net negative especially with 11 draft picks to play with. 

They can have up to three comp picks .., and these are for 2025  draft …  ..,

The player needs to sign for a reasonable amount of money to qualify for the comp pick formula …like $2.5m a year or so ..

They likely bring in a WR in FA, and maybe at least one if not two on the D Line…

Edited by Aussie Joe

23 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The concern is more that it’s a big enough contract that it means he will be a starter. No bueno. He was not close to starting caliber last season. I don’t know why they’d go this route, unless the incentives are large and one of them is % of snaps. That would mean he’s getting back up money if he’s a back up and starter money if he plays a lot. I hope that is what is happening. 

could also not have major guarantees in year 2

if they sign another and draft one it could be 3 guys less than 10m  

• Like (+1) 1

At minimum a bridge safety who fills an immediate need. At max he becomes the next Poyer/Hyde for 6 years.

This was a prep for the future signing from day one.

Hopefully he gets paired with a nice counterpart whether through FA or draft and takes advantage of the opportunity.

I think he could be productive in our defense.

I like it

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Don't like this at all.   With all of the options available at safety in free agency, one would think we could have done better.

he’s likely a middle of the pack signing. Sometimes there’s value in setting a floor when you need to fill 3 spots (2 starters and a backup)