QB17 on McAfee today

Chandler#81

• Chandler#81 changed the title to QB17 on McAfee today
4 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Love the guy. But he's either really good at hiding it or he doesn't take losses as bad as some of the greats. 

Either that or he knows it's a lost cause with McDermott running the show.

World class take here. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

6 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Love the guy. But he's either really good at hiding it or he doesn't take losses as bad as some of the greats. 

You want him to self-flagellate or something?

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Really? That's what you took from his interview? 

UyBS.gif

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

His interview with Florio and Simms was better. Some really interesting snippets:

- He says his mechanics got off this year because of some of the ailments with his shoulder but he acknowledges he has to get back to working on them (interesting that he said "with the appropriate people" - anyone know if he is still working with Jordan Palmer? I think Palmer did so much on the original mechanical clean ups with the over striding);

- He talked about his internal dialogue with himself and it is the one worry I have with Josh in terms of temperament. I love that he holds himself accountable but I do worry at times he gets in his own head about stuff and internalises it;

- Cites the Ty Dunne piece as the one of two factors in the turnaround (without prompting) and then when asked further agrees with Rasul Douglas's view that McDermott's response to that article was the moment things changed;

- Acknowledges that if he'd just slid up slightly in the pocket on the Shakir throw he probably has a touchdown;

- His favourite throw is the Jake Kumerow touchdown in Denver. 

Really good interview. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 15

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

- Acknowledges that if he'd just slid up slightly in the pocket on the Shakir throw he probably has a touchdown;

Or Dawkins doesn't get pushed back 10 yards. 

Was a wild throw. But the majority of the sideline throws, and the leaping while falling out of bounds throws are more impressive to me.

10 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

There were three minor elements on that play to Shakir if either one is right its a touchdown. If Josh is up half a stride he makes the throw. If Dion holds the block a split second longer Josh makes the throw. If Shakir clears coverage a half second earlier Josh lets it go before the pressure affects it.

We just needed 1 of those three and it was a touchdown. That is the small margins.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Here's that throw. Just in case anyone wanted to enjoy the next 40 seconds of their life a little bit more:

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

His interview with Florio and Simms was better. Some really interesting snippets:

- He says his mechanics got off this year because of some of the ailments with his shoulder but he acknowledges he has to get back to working on them (interesting that he said "with the appropriate people" - anyone know if he is still working with Jordan Palmer? I think Palmer did so much on the original mechanical clean ups with the over striding);

- He talked about his internal dialogue with himself and it is the one worry I have with Josh in terms of temperament. I love that he holds himself accountable but I do worry at times he gets in his own head about stuff and internalises it;

- Cites the Ty Dunne piece as the one of two factors in the turnaround (without prompting) and then when asked further agrees with Rasul Douglas's view that McDermott's response to that article was the moment things changed;

Really good interview. 

Good stuff, thanks.

In the Buffalo News story today, Allen admits the ending of the Chiefs game is going to haunt him all offseason.

😟

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

His favourite throw is the Jake Kumerow touchdown in Denver. 

Really good interview. 

My favorite play of his. It was an absolute laser beam that nearly went through Jake's hands. I mean, the ball carries the guys hands from one side of his body to the other. All the mustard on that one. Right behind that one is the moon ball he launched against Jacksonville his rookie year. Speaking of moon balls, I'm still upset Stef dropped that monster against KC. Josh launched it from his own 12, it reached Stef at the Chiefs 25. Ridonkulous. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, QB Bills said:

12 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Good stuff, thanks.

In the Buffalo News story today, Allen admits the ending of the Chiefs game is going to haunt him all offseason.

😟

🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Here's that throw. Just in case anyone wanted to enjoy the next 40 seconds of their life a little bit more:

Thats the throw as a young QB you dream of making. Most guys don't have the arm to do it

22 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Good stuff, thanks.

😟

He and I share that

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This play is what really shows off Allen’s arm strength. More so than the 70 yard bombs. 

Yep.

Allen said he threw this one as hard as he could.

Also, arm strength is so often misinterpreted as "how far can you throw it?", when in reality, some QBs with mediocre arms can still throw it really far.

Instead, arm strength is REALLY about how HARD you can throw it, i.e. how quickly you can get the ball from point A to point B, which shows up more on things like outs, slants, comebacks, and threading the needle between defenders. Watching that Allen pass to Kumerow, you understand how his arm strength allowed him to make that play, whereas guys like Tua and, say, Bock Purdy, likely wouldn't have had the mustard to make it happen.

Arm strength allows guys like Allen to get the ball to his receiver on things like quick outs and Cover-two honey hole shots in a way that other quarterbacks who don't possess that arm strength simply cannot.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Thats the throw as a young QB you dream of making. Most guys don't have the arm to do it

He and I share that

Honestly, me too.

I keep thinking that, if they had converted that first down after the two-minute warning, forced KC to use their timeouts, and then scored a TD with seconds remaining, we would have been hailing that final drive as masterful and the overall strategy of beating KC as perfect. Sigh.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Makin’ the Super Bowl rounds and stumping for Subway

starts @ 27:45

2:58:50

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Really good interview. 

Got a link?

NvM, I do:

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Are they giving Allen a sangawich?!  Now watching him zooming around on any given Sunday could qualify him for a 'dangerwich'.  Just add extra hot sauce, and a side of blue cheese dressing. 😁

Don't forget to add a Pepsi with Buffalo sauce, a celery garnish, on a blue cheese rimmed glass for only 99 cents more! :devil:

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

My favorite play of his. It was an absolute laser beam that nearly went through Jake's hands. I mean, the ball carries the guys hands from one side of his body to the other. All the mustard on that one. Right behind that one is the moon ball he launched against Jacksonville his rookie year. Speaking of moon balls, I'm still upset Stef dropped that monster against KC. Josh launched it from his own 12, it reached Stef at the Chiefs 25. Ridonkulous. 

I wonder if the length of that throw affected Diggs timing and eye hand coordination. 

im sure Diggs has lot of practice timing and catching 40-50 yd throws. 

But how much experience does anyone have at catching 65 yd throws?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Really good interview. 

Josh has talked about this.  While he started working with Jordan Palmer before the draft in 2018 and Palmer did help with the over-striding and some issues, Allen still struggled with touch throws and accuracy on short passes.  He was throwing with his arm and shoulder, only.  His accuracy really improved when he re-worked his throwing motion with the help of a company called Biometrek and its founder, Chris Hess.

Here's a good article about that process

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/01/24/Technology/josh-allen-embraces-technology-to-transform-himself-from-loose-cannon-to-maybe-a-3d-mvp.aspx

I could be totally wrong, but I have the feeling that Josh is a little disenchanted with Jordan Palmer.  Allen elevated Palmer's business for developing QB.  Allen seems like a very private person, and he may not be too thrilled with the extent Palmer has spoken about him and sometimes it seems, for him, in the media.

I'm pretty sure Allen will go back to Chris Hess at Biometrex.    He may or may not choose to work with Palmer and that's OK, provided he's working with Hess on his mechanics and with someone who can record him and help him implement during throwing sessions, and with someone who can help him improve his field vision and decision making (I'm not sure Palmer is that guy).

What I think is promising is that the last two off-seasons, Josh has understandably talked about needing some time to rest and re-set, and somewhat proudly (I thought) talked about how little he did until OTAs (where he was unclear about whether he was talking about initial OTAs in March or minicamp in June).  This year, he is talking about how he wants to get "back in the lab" and work with guys off season.

He also talked about how he needs to improve his decision making and how he sees the field. 

Josh's track record is that when he sets his mind to something as a goal he needs to achieve, he does.  So I feel positive that he's talking about mechanics and decision making.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Really good interview. 

Bolded part is what worries me as well. I dont think that will totally go away but hope he can work around it.

I do remember that  throw to Kumerow very clearly.  One of my fav throws of Allen as well. Thanks for the snippets will look for the interview,

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Really good interview. 

MINE... F***ING.. TOO.

I have probably watched that play 600 times. It's absolutely unbelievable. The ball went 40 yards in the air and wasn't but 13 feet off the ground and showed ZERO signs of coming down anytime soon. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Watching that Allen pass to Kumerow, you understand how his arm strength allowed him to make that play, whereas guys like Tua and, say, Bock Purdy, likely wouldn't have had the mustard to make it happen.

I understand space is limited here, but you could probably add just about everybody else on planet Earth to your list.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.