Browns interview Ken Dorsey for OC position

Dorsey was part of building this thing. By all counts he’s a good X’s and O’s coach and a smart guy. But he seems to lack in his feel for play calling. If he can get better at that then he’s a good get for somebody. 

I have no ill will for the guy. Good luck out there Ken.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Merge if needed.  Alex Van Pelt is a better OC (ask Jim Kelly and Aaron Rodgers) and they are stepping backwards into a pile which is brown and smells bad.

Kelly could never excel in a traditional offense and Rodgers likes Nate Hackett. Sorry but I can't endorse AVP as a OC.

31 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Good. I like him, but I want a WCO brought in here. Rogers, Favre, Elway, Young, Montana and even the crybaby Mahomes has excelled with a WCO. Look what it did for the young rookie in Houston. 

I kinda feel like that's a heavily modified version of the WCO as Stroud was throwing deep down field fairly often.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Guy was fired after 12 games working with JOSH ALLEN. If he couldn’t succeed here, he won’t succeed there. Weird interview choice for the Browns. 

Disagree.  He failed because he had Josh Allen and tried to protect him and not let him be Josh Allen.   If he goes to a team without Josh Allen, chances are he has to work with what he has - and I think he can be quite good.  Its a risk for any team, but I'd consider taking a chance if I was looking for an OC.

He got a bit of a raw deal here.  we needed to change to get a spark.  He was the sacrificial lamb to some extent.  Much more so than the actual root cause of the problem.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Guy was fired after 12 games working with JOSH ALLEN. If he couldn’t succeed here, he won’t succeed there. Weird interview choice for the Browns. 

11 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

Disagree.  He failed because he had Josh Allen and tried to protect him and not let him be Josh Allen.   If he goes to a team without Josh Allen, chances are he has to work with what he has - and I think he can be quite good.  Its a risk for any team, but I'd consider taking a chance if I was looking for an OC.

He got a bit of a raw deal here.  we needed to change to get a spark.  He was the sacrificial lamb to some extent.  Much more so than the actual root cause of the problem.

In fairness to Dorsey, if you listen to all of McDermott's comments about Josh Allen through the entirety of last offseason, it's clear that Dorsey was doing what McDermott wanted... to have Josh run less. That's on McDermott.

Joe Brady has done 2 things that Dorsey couldn't that have had a huge difference:

1) He has convinced McDermott that Josh needs to run more.

2) He has gotten Josh back to the level of discipline that he had under Brian Daboll where he's not trying to throw a grand slam home run on every play. Daboll was pretty good at this whereas Dorsey failed to reign in Josh.

Repeating myself yet again but in 2020 Josh completed 69.2% of his passes and threw only 10 INTs. His INT % was 1.7%, the lowest of his career. This year Josh is at 3.1%, the highest since he was a rookie however he's been playing with more discipline lately in the passing game.

Josh will have to be nearly flawless for us to reach the summit.

BTW @JimBob2232, congratulations on getting the Indy job!

https://www.colts.com/team/coaches-roster/jim-bob-cooter

• Agree 1

I like Ken. Shame it didn't work out here.  Maybe time helps him cover some errors he made here. Might be a good spot for him as I don't think Stefanski gives away play calling duties. Lets him take a step back and learn. 

I think his biggest flaws were his lack of feel for game flow and an overly complicated system. Neither would be an issue for him as an OC for Stefanski.

14 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Bad news for the Browns is Watson will be back 

He hasn't been good since the 2020 season. That's 4 years ago this fall. 

That's fine with me i don't like the guy & i hope all of his seasons go like this last one the NFL is better off with out him I know that's harsh but i just didn't like anything he did or the way he handled his self after the fact and then to get rewarded for it by the Browns 😢 i think this was another Browns type decision .

• Like (+1) 1

When you have an offensive head coach, this is basically like a buddy position. Way less important for Cleveland than us. 

it still is wild these coaches get fired and keep getting jobs when there are plenty of really talented guys who never get their first shot. 

Just now, MJS said:

I think Ken Dorsey deserves another shot at OC. He wasn't as terrible as some fans here make him out to be. It just didn't work out.

Agree. It was a tough spot. First time OC (that’s on McDermott) for a team with an amazing QB and SB aspirations. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The new Browns are weird. It’s a match made in weird heaven.

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

In fairness to Dorsey, if you listen to all of McDermott's comments about Josh Allen through the entirety of last offseason, it's clear that Dorsey was doing what McDermott wanted... to have Josh run less. That's on McDermott.

Joe Brady has done 2 things that Dorsey couldn't that have had a huge difference:

1) He has convinced McDermott that Josh needs to run more.

2) He has gotten Josh back to the level of discipline that he had under Brian Daboll where he's not trying to throw a grand slam home run on every play. Daboll was pretty good at this whereas Dorsey failed to reign in Josh.

Repeating myself yet again but in 2020 Josh completed 69.2% of his passes and threw only 10 INTs. His INT % was 1.7%, the lowest of his career. This year Josh is at 3.1%, the highest since he was a rookie however he's been playing with more discipline lately in the passing game.

Josh will have to be nearly flawless for us to reach the summit.

BTW @JimBob2232, congratulations on getting the Indy job!

https://www.colts.com/team/coaches-roster/jim-bob-cooter

The one thing I'll say re your 1) above is that we were in "playoff mode" with our backs against the wall.  That's when we generally loosen the reins on Josh and let him run.  So not sure we can credit that change to the coaching change per se.  Even if Dorsey stayed on, my guess is that we'd need to allow Josh to run more since we were in survival mode.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Merge if needed.  Alex Van Pelt is a better OC (ask Jim Kelly and Aaron Rodgers) and they are stepping backwards into a pile which is brown and smells bad.

If he gets this job, he’s in a pretty safe situation.  It’s an OC coordinator position but Stefanski is the one calling plays.   In Buffalo he had to do everything.  In Cleveland he’s be sharing a lot of duties with an offensive minded HC

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnNord said:

If he gets this job, he’s in a pretty safe situation.  It’s an OC coordinator position but Stefanski is the one calling plays.   In Buffalo he had to do everything.  In Cleveland he’s be sharing a lot of duties with an offensive minded HC

And presumably learning a great deal. It’s like being Nathaniel Hackett working under Matt LaFleur or Bienemy working under Reid…

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Dorsey was fine. McDermott was the one holding Josh back imo due to his off-season comments about how he has to change the way he plays.

Ken was fired after the 12 men on the field debacle which wasn’t even his fault.

He wasn’t as horrible as some make him out to be, but at the same time, the offense was very disjointed.  There were times he called a lot of passing plays without giving Josh enough answers on offense for the defense he was facing.  It seems like the Dorsey was all about big plays to Diggs or nothing.  

I also don’t think Dorsey used her personnel nearly as well as Brady does.  So while Dorsey wasn’t a dumpster fire offense, the team needed a spark.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He wasn’t as horrible as some make him out to be, but at the same time, the offense was very disjointed.  There were times he called a lot of passing plays without giving Josh enough answers on offense for the defense he was facing.  It seems like the Dorsey was all about big plays to Diggs or nothing.  

I also don’t think Dorsey used her personnel nearly as well as Brady does.  So while Dorsey wasn’t a dumpster fire offense, the team needed a spark.

DIdn't realize Dorsey was a Mrs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Dorsey was fine. McDermott was the one holding Josh back imo due to his off-season comments about how he has to change the way he plays.

Ken was fired after the 12 men on the field debacle which wasn’t even his fault.

There were a lot more debacles in that game that weren’t 12 men

42 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

All you have to do is look at Shakir’s numbers before and after the coaching change. 

Brandon Beane was taking grenades for not adding enough receiving talent, meanwhile Shakir was getting 1 target per game in the Dorsey offense.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Each situation is different. He was the OC last year as well. Rising star then shot down a bit. It’s the coaching cycle, I wish him well. JA wasn’t playing well and was part of the problem as well. 

Please let this happen!!  As we all want the best and brightest coaches in the AFC, to sharpen the blade and make the Bills even better. 

A fine, fine choice should the Browns show some sense and grab him, and sign him to a long term contract, before some other team grabs this once in a lifetime OC candidate.  Hard working, uses all of his good players, and in the best ways possible.  Bill Walsh like in his game planning and ultra specific to the other team's capabilities--and one of the best coaches we have ever had in Buffalo at making in game changes in a speedy and superb manner.

I  shudder to think though that the Bills will then have to face this hard working genius next year-?, and then in the playoffs year after year, as that is what Dorsey will bring to their team, success.

I couldn't wish this guy more success for all of the great things he did for this team...

Edited by Mister Defense

I'd figure he'd get some interest given how well they performed at least statisically near the top in most metrics in his year and a half as offensive coordinator here.  Does Stefanski call plays?

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Dorsey was part of building this thing. By all counts he’s a good X’s and O’s coach and a smart guy. But he seems to lack in his feel for play calling. If he can get better at that then he’s a good get for somebody. 

I have no ill will for the guy. Good luck out there Ken.

Yes! Yes!

Amazing at  the X's and O's of game planning!! Both before the game and during.  A football genius.

Have not seen anything like it on the Bills for years.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.