Poyer and Hyde

Dubie54

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We do. But then we have to find two new safeties. How many players that played as well or better than Poyer this year are you signing for that $5.5m? 

You know how much I love this Poyer and Hyde monster-  those are my dudes-  You also know the safety market in the nfl.  
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/safety/

lots of free agents and you know there be several more that are cut due to cap issue around the league.  

He has a 7.5 cap hit next year.  I don’t think that’s a feasible number for him next year. Time will tell.   

Our talent level will likely take a slight dip next season and I envision the safety position to be one that takes a hit.  I think McD will push the envelope to bring them back if they want to return but I think they’ll be asked to take less.  Bringing the band back usually takes some sacrifice on the players side.  At this stage in their career I think playing with this locker room is enough to take a cut.  I hope so anyway.  I’d like both back

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:34 AM, Dubie54 said:

Sort of sounds like a personal injury law firm, and in fact these two have been doling out personal injuries for the Bills since 2017. Signed as free agents on the same day in March 2017, these two have been so solid and dependable you almost take them for granted each year. 

They both have lost a step or two, but they know this defense inside and out and I imagine their leadership and experience in the locker room and on the field has been a huge help to guys like Taron Johnson and Cam Lewis. Romo was raving about them on Sunday and I think he really understands the impact they have on the game. 

Poyer has a year left on his deal but Hyde is a FA and I suspect Hyde may retire given his neck injury history. If we keep Poyer, his cap hit is $7.4m and his dead cap hit is $2m. That's a tough decision for Beane, because what value do you put on keeping Poyer around another year for his experience and leadership in helping the transition to a new set of safeties.

I for one have really enjoyed watching these two play and will miss their impact on the Bills defense, but I suspect that a lot of opposing quarterbacks aren't going to miss them much.

I think both are back for one more year.  This team does not give up big plays and their secondary, despite the injuries, has been fantastic.

I think in about one month it will be a no brainer anyway..

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

You know how much I love this Poyer and Hyde monster-  those are my dudes-  You also know the safety market in the nfl.  
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/safety/

lots of free agents and you know there be several more that are cut due to cap issue around the league.  

He has a 7.5 cap hit next year.  I don’t think that’s a feasible number for him next year. Time will tell.   

Our talent level will likely take a slight dip next season and I envision the safety position to be one that takes a hit.  I think McD will push the envelope to bring them back if they want to return but I think they’ll be asked to take less.  Bringing the band back usually takes some sacrifice on the players side.  At this stage in their career I think playing with this locker room is enough to take a cut.  I hope so anyway.  I’d like both back

I know what his hit is and I know the market too. It is $2m dead cap to cut him. It is $7.5m to keep him. I don't think anyone on that list who is an upgrade is likely coming for less than the $5.5m difference (you might be able to get a cap number slightly lower I suppose by signing someone for multiple years but their AAV will be higher than $5.5m - but if that is your concern you can just add some void years onto Poyer and spread his hit).

I think the most sensible cap decision is keep Jordan one more year at that number. Let Micah walk. 

The worst outcome IMO is they both walk off campus together.... UNLESS it is arm in arm with their Superbowl rings. In which case I think that would be kinda fitting.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I think a guy like Hyde is really up in the air dependent on how this season shakes out. If the Bills win the big one; he likely rides out into the sunset hangin them up. If they fall short, I could see him come back to Buffalo on a one year deal, taking a very friendly cheap deal. He may not even be a starter anymore in the future, especially considering his lingering injuries that never seem to go away.

Poyer has been frustrating at times, taken bad angles, missed tackles but also has made his fair share of plays. As much as I think they could get younger and faster here, I wonder (as some has suggested) they almost stagger the departure of the safeties to keep one on to try and bring up the next generation with some on the job training. 

Poyer/Rookie with Hyde mixing in at times in 2024. 

Rookie/FA in 2025

I’m not a fan of Rapp

I figure 1 stays next year with Rapp on the other side and then in ‘25 they will both be gone and our Safeties will be Tre and Rapp. I honestly think it may be Poyer gone first because he seems to carry 3 injuries a year. 

Edited by Locomark

I think the neck injuries the past 2 seasons will weigh heavily on Hydes decision weather or not to come back .  wouldn't mind seeing him become a position coach like he kind of was last year but he will be the only one that can make that call .

Every good player knows their day will come when they need to walk away & i hope they can give them all a Lombardi to put on their mantle & if they do i think there will be many players on the Bills squad that could call this their last season in the NFL .

Phillips, Klien, Hyde, Poyer, Jones, Von, Murray Morris, & maybe IMHO a few others might decide to call it quits if they win.

Poyer and Hyde……. Better find the fountain of youth immediately because that’s what it’s going to take.

I’m worried about the Chiefs figuring something out deep. But I’m reassured that the McDermott D is very solid against big play stuff. 

The team that really scares me against an aging Poyer-Hyde is San Jose. They can make the defense run sideline to sideline 50 yards downfield with all their weapons.

Edited by Thrivefourfive

2 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Poyer and Hyde……. Better find the fountain of youth immediately because that’s what it’s going to take.

I’m worried about the Chiefs figuring something out deep. But I’m reassured that the McDermott D is very solid against big play stuff. 

The team that really scares me against an aging Poyer-Hyde is San Jose. They can make the defense run sideline to sideline 50 yards downfield with all their weapons.

Ya I would be worried about poyer and hyde playing on ice vs the sharks 

• Like (+1) 1

The way this staff coaches up and develops secondary players, I’d love them take a couple Safeties early Day 3. 

4/5th Round 

Offense almost completely comes back, minus Gabe.  Draft a WR early and then go heavy Defense for the rest of the Draft.. DL & Safety maybe a short yardage big back later on to go with Cook & Ty.  …but I’d prioritize earlier picks on DL. 

If Safety is a weak spot next year, so be it… we’re loaded at CB & LB..  especially if Tre restructures to avoid being a cut candidate.  

Any money we are able to free up, I’d rather spend on Jones and 1 of Floyd/AJE. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The way this staff coaches up and develops secondary players, I’d love them take a couple Safeties early Day 3. 

4/5th Round 

Offense almost completely comes back, minus Gabe.  Draft a WR early and then go heavy Defense for the rest of the Draft.. DL & Safety maybe a short yardage big back later on to go with Cook & Ty.  …but I’d prioritize earlier picks on DL. 

If Safety is a weak spot next year, so be it… we’re loaded at CB & LB..  especially if Tre restructures to avoid being a cut candidate.  

Any money we are able to free up, I’d rather spend on Jones and 1 of Floyd/AJE. 

I agree. But I’d like to see the front office draft evaluators value speed and aggressiveness to the ball, through the ball, and on tackling. 

I admire Poyer and Hyde because they are not going to get cheated at the point of contact. What I don’t want to see is “model” players drafted. Height and size has nothing to do with heart and soul and tenacity. Bernard and DW42 YES! Rapp is fine with me. 

I have a much easier time missing on a player with traits like the early first rounder Seattle drafted. He’s tiny, but he’s a mauler. If it doesn’t work out, at least Seattle wanted that type of player. Than, say, Elam. 

1 minute ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I agree. But I’d like to see the front office draft evaluators value speed and aggressiveness to the ball, through the ball, and on tackling. 

I admire Poyer and Hyde because they are not going to get cheated at the point of contact. What I don’t want to see is “model” players drafted. Height and size has nothing to do with heart and soul and tenacity. Bernard and DW42 YES! Rapp is fine with me. 

I have a much easier time missing on a player with traits like the early first rounder Seattle drafted. He’s tiny, but he’s a mauler. If it doesn’t work out, at least Seattle wanted that type of player. Than, say, Elam. 

Agreed for the most part, but Elam is that guy you speak of..  he’s an elite prospect, but the decision-making/processing part is taking time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed for the most part, but Elam is that guy you speak of..  he’s an elite prospect, but the decision-making/processing part is taking time. 

Im concerned about the guy for sure, more than most probably. 

He looks the part. And I’m afraid that’s why he was drafted. But he can’t play the part,,, which is why he hasn’t. 

We will completely agree that this Chiefs game is a pivoting moment in his career in Buffalo. 

7 hours ago, Locomark said:

I figure 1 stays next year with Rapp on the other side and then in ‘25 they will both be gone and our Safeties will be Tre and Rapp. I honestly think it may be Poyer gone first because he seems to carry 3 injuries a year. 

He’s a UFA this offseason. We’ll see if they want to bring him back or go outside the organization but I do agree one of the currents will likely stay on 

I think Poyer stays. He probably shouldn't, but when we're already losing Hyde and with the complexity of the position in McD's defense, I don't see us wanting to completely overhaul both Safety positions.

They're going to want to keep Poyer to keep a little bit of continuity there and to help bring along the new Safety, especially if it's a Rookie.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Dugger and or Chinn and thank the old guys for their service

Throw the bank at dugger. pretty sure beane wanted him in the 2020 draft... remember pats had to take him at 37... David Cole, one of Dugger's collegiate coaches, told Howe that someone with the Bills had said that Buffalo would "definitely" pick Dugger if he was available at 54th overall.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hyde has got a neck issue … maybe just better for him to retire …

Bills got to move on at some stage … now is as good a time as any,,,

I think Poyer might be back … but it’s debatable if his ability  still matches his modest contract …

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, DeltaDigital said:

Throw the bank at dugger. pretty sure beane wanted him in the 2020 draft... remember pats had to take him at 37... David Cole, one of Dugger's collegiate coaches, told Howe that someone with the Bills had said that Buffalo would "definitely" pick Dugger if he was available at 54th overall.

My only couple of things with Dugger, kind of studying him a bit is that he is older, he turns 28 this March. Also, he really has not been used the way the Bills used Hyde. Not really a true safety, perhaps he can be projected to that the same way Hyde was coming over from GB where he was mostly a nickel. 

That’s why I like Xavier McKinney, he’s a true FS who plays a ton of single high and 2 high, he’s also 3 years younger. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Dugger and or Chinn and thank the old guys for their service

Dugger or Chinn. Don’t think there’s an “and”. You take Dugger and avoid Chinn if they are your options… Dont know what’s going on with Chinn but we don’t need an oft-injured safety to replace an oft-injured safety lol

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My only couple of things with Dugger, kind of studying him a bit is that he is older, he turns 28 this March. Also, he really has not been used the way the Bills used Hyde. Not really a true safety, perhaps he can be projected to that the same way Hyde was coming over from GB where he was mostly a nickel. 

That’s why I like Xavier McKinney, he’s a true FS who plays a ton of single high and 2 high, he’s also 3 years younger. 

You might like these guys … but I will be gobsmacked if they are paying a safety $10m plus a year  this particular offseason….

Probably need to get by for 1  year with a combination of Poyer, Day 2 Draft pick, Rapp similar cheap free agent, Hamlin unless a  Day 3 pick beats him out  …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

Selfishly I would want Hyde back for one last run, just because I want the guy to get a ring, but given his injury history and his age I feel like it’s best for him to ride into the sunset. If he wants to come back as a position coach I would hire him tomorrow - whoever his heir apparent is would benefit from picking his brain for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Good shout on McKinney. I do feel he will fetch a higher number than Dugger. Kid balled out this year for NYG. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You might like these guys … but I will be gobsmacked if they are paying a safety $10m plus a year  this particular offseason….

Probably need to get by for 1  year with a combination of Poyer, Day 2 Draft pick, Rapp similar cheap free agent, Hamlin unless a  Day 3 pick beats him out  …

Exactly. We won't be getting anyone in FA with that kind of cap hit. It will be a Taylor Rapp type (maybe even Rapp himself) and/or a 2nd-3rd Round Pick.

Anyone that will cost anything more than 5 is a non starter given our cap situation and the amount of holes we need to fill.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.