Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

I hadn't thought about it, but the Panthers job is about as undesirable of an NFL head coaching gig as there's ever been in the league.

- #1 overall pick QB who is way undersized and utterly terrible as a rookie.

- No first round pick this year, plus other pick traded away.

- Not much talent anywhere on the roster. No FAs are coming there.

- The last head coach was fired a few games into his tenure.

Surely somebody will take it, but Damn.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

My early predictions for coaching hires. This changes a bit if any playoff teams fire coaches.

Patriots - Mike Vrabel (easy)

Seattle - Dan Quinn (easier)

Washington - Harbaugh (near his bro in opposite conference with owners who have a lot of money and get to mold the new franchise QB, Drake Maye)

Chargers - Ben Johnson (they miss out on Harbaugh but get the next best offensive coach for Herbert)

Raiders - Antonio Pierce (easy)

Falcons - Bill Belichick (seems like the guy Blank would want)

Titans - Bobby Slowik (stealing a rival OC to help mold Levis)

Panthers - Ejiro Evero (who else besides Eric Bienemy are going to want this job)

Slowik and Evero would be unwise to take those jobs. Both are lose/lose situations. 

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The Bears can move down a very small number of spots and pick up an absolute haul.  If they can’t make it work with Fields they will have mega ammo to try again in 2025.  No way should they stay at 1 and pick anything other than QB though….I agree about that.

I also agree that the #1 pick should be used on a QB. Else, just in the top 10, there are teams who need a QB and will give a king's ransom for the #1 pick - Commanders, Patriots, Giants, Falcons. 

31 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

My early predictions for coaching hires. This changes a bit if any playoff teams fire coaches.

Washington - Harbaugh (near his bro in opposite conference with owners who have a lot of money and get to mold the new franchise QB, Drake Maye)

Chargers - Ben Johnson (they miss out on Harbaugh but get the next best offensive coach for Herbert)

Panthers - Ejiro Evero (who else besides Eric Bienemy are going to want this job)

Gotta think Pete Carrol going to end up someplace.

Has LA history with USC

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Shefty today was saying his sources around the league are saying there may just be a mystery opening come next week if a team doesn’t make it to next weekend in the playoffs.

People are automatically thinking it’s Dallas and McCarthy but word is it might be the Eagles. 

Why not both.

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

For extra credit which coordinators and assistant coaches are kept and where do the coaches dumped go.

I think Eric Bienemy stays in Washington no matter which head coach they choose.

Players seem to like him.

20 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Shefty today was saying his sources around the league are saying there may just be a mystery opening come next week if a team doesn’t make it to next weekend in the playoffs.

People are automatically thinking it’s Dallas and McCarthy but word is it might be the Eagles. 

Some may be waiting for coaches from playoff teams to become available,

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/heres-how-long-it-might-take-for-the-seahawks-to-replace-pete-carroll/#:~:text=That last sentence means college,round%2C or Jan. 22.

• The league has gotten increasingly prickly the past few years about assistants employed by teams that are still in the playoffs being distracted by interviews to become head coaches elsewhere.

• So, this year the NFL further adjusted the rules for the head-coach-hiring process.

• As part of the most recent changes approved in October, and as stated on the league’s website, teams are prohibited “from conducting in-person Head Coach interviews with candidates who are employed by other NFL clubs until after the conclusion of all Divisional Playoff games. Before the conclusion of Divisional Playoff games, hiring clubs are permitted to conduct in-person Head Coach interviews with candidates who are employed by the hiring club or who are not employed in the NFL.”

• That last sentence means college coaches or anyone not on a current NFL staff can be interviewed anytime.
  • But if a candidate is still with an NFL team, nothing in person can happen until the week after the divisional round, or Jan. 22.

3 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Caroll will take up one of these jobs, especially if the Chargers are willing to hire him

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some may be waiting for coaches from playoff teams to become available,

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/heres-how-long-it-might-take-for-the-seahawks-to-replace-pete-carroll/#:~:text=That last sentence means college,round%2C or Jan. 22.

• The league has gotten increasingly prickly the past few years about assistants employed by teams that are still in the playoffs being distracted by interviews to become head coaches elsewhere.

• So, this year the NFL further adjusted the rules for the head-coach-hiring process.

• As part of the most recent changes approved in October, and as stated on the league’s website, teams are prohibited “from conducting in-person Head Coach interviews with candidates who are employed by other NFL clubs until after the conclusion of all Divisional Playoff games. Before the conclusion of Divisional Playoff games, hiring clubs are permitted to conduct in-person Head Coach interviews with candidates who are employed by the hiring club or who are not employed in the NFL.”

• That last sentence means college coaches or anyone not on a current NFL staff can be interviewed anytime.
  • But if a candidate is still with an NFL team, nothing in person can happen until the week after the divisional round, or Jan. 22.

Why don’t they just make a rule that no hiring or interviewing can be done until after the Super Bowl is over?

11 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

Why don’t they just make a rule that no hiring or interviewing can be done until after the Super Bowl is over?

t impacts colleges including recruiting, scouting and the whole NFL schedule.  Pluses and minuses.  It is in thread,

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yea I have heard that Siriani is on a sticky wicket if this weekend goes badly.

31 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

We have done this to death.... it is because of the rest of the schedule. The Superbowl is only 4 weeks before Free Agency. That isn't enough time to shortlist, interview, 2nd interview, hire a coach. Then hire a staff. Then do all the self scouting and evaluation. Then work out who you might want to target in FA. You'd have to push FA and the Draft back and other than going into the one month off a year that coaches and personnel guys have mid June to July there is no space. 

The NFL has created a year round calendar. And it now means there is minimal flex to push stuff.

53 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I saw a rumor that there’s a team in the playoffs secretly ready to go after Belichick. I’m 99% sure it’s the Bills. 

Zero percent chance McD is gone

Less than zero percent chance The Hoodie ends up in Buffalo

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

IMO and based on what I’ve read in other places MHJ doesn’t always track the ball as well as he should and although that didn’t burn him in college, it may in the NFL.  Again, not in any way calling him a bad player or bust, just likely to not live up to his ultra high pick.

Im not sure I agree about kicking Fields to the curb.  It feels abrupt.  The Bears can move down a very small number of spots and pick up an absolute haul.  If they can’t make it work with Fields they will have mega ammo to try again in 2025.  No way should they stay at 1 and pick anything other than QB though….I agree about that.

I dunno if it is abrupt. I think he needed to show more growth this year as a passer. I think Fields can be a serviceable starter because he will find ways to move the chains but at this point I think his chance to really grow into a true franchise guy is very small. I wouldn't be saying the Bears have to pick a QB if they were selecting 20th in the draft. But they are 3 years in with a guy who still struggles to diagnose defenses and process from the pocket and they are sitting here with the 1st overall pick and another top 10 pick in a draft with some intriguing Quarterback prospects. I'd stay at #1 and as long as I have met the kid and got good reports about him and am comfortable with the character I'd select Caleb Williams. 

On MHJ I might be slightly where you are in that I don't know I share the "he is the best wide receiver prospect ever" type hype. He is comparable with the best guys I have evaluated, the likes of Ja'Marr Chase, CeeDee and Jerry Jeudy (appreciate Jeudy hasn't shown it in the same way at the NFL level but he was a hell of a prospect) but he isn't light years ahead of those guys. However, I do think he is the best receiver in this class. He isn't a perfect prospect. I don't think he is as dominant against man coverage as I'd want to see for a sure fire top 5 pick but you can't guard him in zone. He is too smooth, too good in his release and too precise in his route running. He will find the spot in your zone and exploit it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Well that was quick

How the heck did they interview the required amount of canidates already? Wonder who else they brought in for an interview yesterday?

And what a joke. New England is gonna be a laughing stock of the division for a long time. They had an opportunity to get Mike Vrabel and the totally fumbled this hiring.

• Disagree 1

Multiple reports are that his contract made him the successor,  and that to avoid Rooney Rule, it means that the succession was put into writing at least before this season started.  Basically means this was the plan all along.  

Edited by cle23
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

So Patriots are forced to hire Mayo... what a dumb decision to make before you even see potential canidates. This team sucks whats the point in hiring a coach from a failed coaching staff. I dont know about you but i would not wanna keep what Belichick has been heading towards. They needed new juice and an external canidate at this point.

It was obviously the plan all along. They wanted to keep Mayo last year when he was getting interview requests so they included this clause in the contract. He is very highly rated as a defensive brain and was an excellent player but I watched Mangini on Cowherd yesterday and he made a very good point. He has only ever played and coached in New England under Bill Belichick. While he is no doubt his own personality and his own man, at the same time you have to question has he seen enough of other approaches to really change the way things run in New England? And what are they doing about GM? They presumably need to hire a General Manager to run personnel for him. 

The Bills got criticised by some for giving a first time Head Coach in McDermott power over the draft in year 1 and then power to handpick his own GM right after that draft. But McDermott at least had a track record of some success in a coordinator position and had been on the staff of two successful franchises in Philadelphia and Carolina who had made Superbowls so had seen the way good organisations run and operate. While Mayo saw that as a player, he has no track record as a fully blown DC. He wasn't even de-facto DC as he shared that with Belichick's son and he has not been with the Patriots as a coach for any meaningful success. Two one and done playoff runs is all he has seen. Now he gets the HC job by default and presumably a say in who his GM is. It is going to be an internal candidate presumably because he doesn't know anyone external!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

How the heck did they interview the required amount of canidates already? Wonder who else they brought in for an interview yesterday?

And what a joke. New England is gonna be a laughing stock of the division for a long time. They had an opportunity to get Mike Vrabel and the totally fumbled this hiring.

I really like Vrabel but are we sure Mayo can’t be a really good one too? You have no idea until a guy gets a chance. They love him. 

and if it wasn’t Belichick (and I get why), any other coach would have been fired halfway through last year. He has been horrible the last 2 years. The Pats get a top 5 pick and will get a qb who will be better than buttcheeks Max Jones. They have zero playmakers. If they hire a GM who is not terrible (Belichick was so bad at that too), they will upgrade their talent big time. 

They are definitely the worst team in the division at this point. But they have no where to go but up. They were a joke the last 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

So Patriots are forced to hire Mayo... what a dumb decision to make before you even see potential canidates. This team sucks whats the point in hiring a coach from a failed coaching staff. I dont know about you but i would not wanna keep what Belichick has been heading towards. They needed new juice and an external canidate at this point.

Didn't this move give the Patriots a comp draft pick? 

• Haha (+1) 2

Well he’ll get a shot because he’ll have the opportunity to get a franchise QB and that kid is going to determine his success as a HC. 

Mayo needs to hire a young relatable OC for his new QB. Him being a defensive guy goes against the trend but you can still be successful as a former DC if you get the guy 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, stuvian said:

does this mean you can promote a minority candidate from within without interviewing?

I'm not sure what the exact wording of the Rooney Rule is but if you give an internal candidate a clause in their contract promising a job it might not be an "open" position.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Didn't this move give the Patriots a comp draft pick? 

NFL website says they would have to lose the candidate to another team.

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/inclusion/the-rooney-rule/

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Who cares? It hits the minority rule on all aspects which is why that interview process has your view of required candidates. 

Everyone knew it was going to be him prior to Vrabel. Both played for the culture of winning at that club. They were always hiring one of their guys, so why bother interviewing?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.