Khalil Shakir's 500 yard season

GunnerBill

I was slightly surprised when I saw it this morning but Shakir's 39 yards yesterday took him over 500 for the season to 506. Fair jump from 161 as a rook. He has definitely developed. He is more physical, he has learnt the nuance of NFL spacing and his hands have been much better: two drops in 20 targets last year; 0 in 39 targets this year. He is definitely someone who can contribute here on a very cheap deal the next two years as a 5th round pick. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 26
  • Agree 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• GunnerBill changed the title to Khalil Shakir's 500 yard season

I wonder how much he will be used if FA pans out like a lot of here hope; no Gabe unless it’s insanely team friendly. 

Curious to see what Justin Shorter can do too. Huge target. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Shakir, Cook, and Kincaid are a nice group of young talented skill players.

Yea one of them breaking out into a star (and Cook is close IMO) would be huge. But they still need another weapon with some speed outside. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea one of them breaking out into a star (and Cook is close IMO) would be huge. But they still need another weapon with some speed outside. 

Agreed.  But the cupboard is nowhere near as bare as some would have you believe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was slightly surprised when I saw it this morning but Shakir's 39 yards yesterday took him over 500 for the season to 506. Fair jump from 161 as a rook. He has definitely developed. He is more physical, he has learnt the nuance of NFL spacing and his hands have been much better: two drops in 20 targets last year; 0 in 39 targets this year. He is definitely someone who can contribute here on a very cheap deal the next two years as a 5th round pick. 

Agree. Shakir has been on a clear upward trajectory this season. Right now my biggest worry about him is that the Bills will project that to continue and use that as reasoning to bypass signing or drafting a WR high. Kind of like they projected Gabe Davis.

While I like Shakir and I think he continues to improve I kind of see his ceiling as WR3. Hopefully, Beane does too.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 9

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree. Shakir has been on a clear upward trajectory this season. Right now my biggest worry about him is that the Bills will project that to continue and use that as reasoning to bypass signing or drafting a WR high. Kind of like they projected Gabe Davis.

While I like Shakir and I think he continues to improve I kind of see his ceiling as WR3. Hopefully, Beane does too.

This is where I’m at-I hope they aren’t looking at him as a potential #2-he will end up worse than Davis IMO. He’s doing fine where he is right now, keep him there and get someone else as a 2

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Shakir has the highest catch rate in the league for wide receives: 84.6%, with a 15.3 YPC. That's terrific. Gabe Davis has a higher YPC average (16.6), but his catch rate is much lower (56.9 vs. 84.6).

If I'm Allen, I'm looking for Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid (79.5), Knox, and Cook. The Bills should probably keep Davis out there for his run blocking and occasional deep shot when he's single covered, but bench Harty and Sherfield. Neither is contributing to the pass game. 

Too bad they don't have a George Pickens-type deep threat. Then they'd be cooking with gas. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

His ceiling is a WR3 (a slot). He is not a viable outside regular outside option. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes they need to draft a WR high in the draft, but they also need to start getting Shakir more involved in the offense, the guy produces.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I wouldn’t t worry about that.  No chance of this happening considering how bad our passing game has been this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I will say this many times before the draft, but this is not happening. I can't guarantee we draft WR high this year, but I am pretty sure that it will be Beane's top priority. Front office sees what we see.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m happy for the kid. He’s had a fine season with some HUGE catches

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They need someone else to throw the ball too… and no money left to buy a decent FA

and still under contract. 

🙌

• Like (+1) 1

Really hoping the Bills can find another receiver that could be 1A compliment to Diggs. Love Shakir, and Davis can be a threat- better than Hardy or Sherfileld. 

The Ravens and Dolphins are both positioned to win their respective divisions, partly because of their investments in WRs. The Bengals upped their status when having two healthy threats.

Give Josh that added weapon and they’ll be deadly. 

Bottom line is that Shakir, Kincaid, and Davis all made key plays in the passing game yesterday when the Bills needed it.  We have said all along that Josh needs options he can trust besides Diggs, and I’d say he has that.

This doesn’t mean we don’t still need some more speed — we do — but this cast of characters can lead us to some special things…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

52 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's good but he does not have the elite quickness you want from your slot WR. He will be a good cheap player for two more years.

They will draft another WR to take Gabes spot next year. 

Should be drafting Diggs replacement. He's looking like he fell off a cliff 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Shakir has been a bright spot on our offense even in his limited use.  I hope he gets more use in the future.  Another thing of note is I think Kincaid passed the Bills rookie TE catch record yesterday.

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Agreed.  But the cupboard is nowhere near as bare as some would have you believe.

I agree but its also not as good as some others would have you believe either.  We still need speedy reliable contested catch guy on the outside and Diggs has all but disappeared.  No that is not just since Brady took over.  That started a couple weeks beforehand. 

Edited by Scott7975

30 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Should be drafting Diggs replacement. He's looking like he fell off a cliff 

Seemed like he may have been dealing with an injury, then we come out of the bye and first play some Eagles player tackles him by the neck.

Obviously as it was the Eagles game there was no flag.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

His ceiling is a WR3 (a slot). He is not a viable outside regular outside option. 

I was about to start this thread! I agree with him as WR3 and the primary slot receiver. He's good against man and zone, and is very good running after the catch. 

To be a #3 in this offense means he should be getting 70-80 targets per year. About 5 per game... He's averaged 2.5 per game this year. 

Catching 33 passes out of 39 targets is outstanding. 

Josh needs to go to him more for the remainder of the season. And they should run those run plays to him a couple times per game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just curious…is signing Tee Higgins a possibility (from a cap perspective) for the Bills?  As our number of wins goes up, our odds of getting an immediate impact WR2/future WR1 in the draft goes down…Higgins seems like he would be a nice fit here.

2 hours ago, Cubanmist 1 said:

I think he’s had early drops but, he’s become reliant.

He leads the team with a ridiculous 86% catch rate.  And yesterday he was literally the only wr getting open.  His role next year will definitely expand once Gabe is gone.  Love this kid.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He should be our slot receiver in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We need a John Brown type.  If you have a 4.3 guy who can take the top off a defense and has reasonable ball skills, then Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid all become more effective.  Diggs is 30, an age when most wide receivers start to decline or have to deal with Injuries - see Keenan Allen, Mike Evans, Amari Cooper, and of late Tyreek Hill.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

We need a John Brown type.  If you have a 4.3 guy who can take the top off a defense and has reasonable ball skills, then Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid all become more effective.  Diggs is 30, an age when most wide receivers start to decline or have to deal with Injuries - see Keenan Allen, Mike Evans, Amari Cooper, and of late Tyreek Hill.

Agreed.  Brown and Beasley helped free up Diggs in those high powered offense. Now we don't have that same speed

58 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I was about to start this thread! I agree with him as WR3 and the primary slot receiver. He's good against man and zone, and is very good running after the catch. 

To be a #3 in this offense means he should be getting 70-80 targets per year. About 5 per game... He's averaged 2.5 per game this year. 

Catching 33 passes out of 39 targets is outstanding. 

Josh needs to go to him more for the remainder of the season. And they should run those run plays to him a couple times per game. 

People consistently saying he doesn't have the speed yet there's a boat load of guys much slower (Kupp, Adams, Nacua) catching 100 passes.  Shakir has the same size, weight, and 40 time as Diggs.  The line is that he has shorter arms for what that's worth.  Either way if Davis left in free agency and we somehow don't replace him I'm not against Shakir getting a shot outside.

1 minute ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Please find a way to draft both Troy Franklin and Xavier Leggett. We would be absolutely loaded with talent. 

Love Franklin for us, and he should be available…

I wish there was a way and method to bring in a rookie first round talent WR. Id kill to land MHJ, but that would never happen.

Imagine a world where we have Cook, Johnson, Harris in the backfield to rotate.

Tight ends of Knox and Kincaid.

And this is where I will lose some folks but: Diggs, rookie WR, Shakir, Davis, Harty.

Harty was supposed to be our John Brown, it didn't work. If we can find a John Brown replacement in the off-season that'd be great. Especially since we are priced out of Davis.

I could see Davis taking a team friendly deal but also imagine him having a Robert Woods type career. 

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Love Franklin for us, and he should be available…

He's the speedy guy with hands Josh needs. And Leggett is like a DK and Debo's  mix. Both could be around when we pick. I think we draft 2 early next draft. Replacing Davis, Harty, and Sherfield. They will all be gone.

37 minutes ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

He's the speedy guy with hands Josh needs. And Leggett is like a DK and Debo's  mix. Both could be around when we pick. I think we draft 2 early next draft. Replacing Davis, Harty, and Sherfield. They will all be gone.

This!  Go Bills !

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.