Taylor Rapp=Leonard Smith?

Toledo Bill

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

The guy is an undisciplined moron, a dirty af player, and a liability in pass coverage. He hits hard and occasionally makes a good play which is great, but he's out there trying to end guys careers. That hit on Dak, as he was sliding, was ridiculous. We were lucky that martin got flagged.

Leonard Smith signed his autograph to me "Hitman" he had his share of questionable hits

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I like the comparison and I liked the play.  Rapp was trying to avoid a full on brutal collision but his impact was certainly felt.  I love the aggressiveness, physicality and the attitude.  Like I said after the play, if you don’t want to get hit Dak don’t tuck the ball and run…it’s simple.  

Just one play out of many that intimidated the hell out of the pretender Cowboys and had them thinking about getting on the warm dry plane back home by the second quarter.  GO BILLS!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Or maybe not lucky.  Anyone else think Rapp pulled quite the "Soccer Flop" right in front of the ref when Martin bumped him?  He sold it.

Baldy is all about what Martin did, but I thought he cost the 'Boys.

Yep a good sell job that negated his own penalty, which he probably deserved for the decision making even if I did think he technically missed and it shouldn't have been called. The second one on the other hand was just bull#### you can't slide that late and not get hit or whine about getting hit in the head when you drop it down yourself.

7 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Ok, I’ll  try to not use them in the same sentence. I loved Leonard Smith, also (by the way, as great as he was, he had a bit of a bad reputation, too). 
Maybe I didn’t do a good job of making a point… what I was trying to convey is that I can’t remember a game during this regime where our defense hit any harder or played in a more “swarming” style. I feel that Rapp contributes to that.

That said, your points are well taken.

use Mark Kelso, we all loved him!

The Leonard Smith comparison is spot on. Rapp and Dotson bring an edge to the defense that is much needed with so many top guys out. They are also making plays and are more consistent than Phillips, who brings an edge but also a dull processor. 🥴

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

WTF ARE YOU SMOKING???

Dude there is not a guy out there trying to end a career of another player. No way, no how. Injure them, remove them from the game or make them rethink catching a ball? Maybe. But to end a career is far fetched. 

Guy is a physical player, one we saw for decades in the backfields of teams prior to rule changes. 

I'm smoking reality, apparently.

When you repeatedly run full force into a guys head when he's in a vulnerable position, you're absolutely trying to end a guy's career via head injury, because that's the most likely outcome.

Is this the first game you've watched Rapp play? This is the kind of player he's been his whole career.

As far as "there is not a guy out there trying to end a career of another player", lololololol. You must not have watched much football in your life or you need to see an ophthalmologist. There are tons of players that built their legacy on trying to do exactly that.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm smoking reality, apparently.

When you repeatedly run full force into a guys head when he's in a vulnerable position, you're absolutely trying to end a guy's career via head injury, because that's the most likely outcome.

Is this the first game you've watched Rapp play? This is the kind of player he's been his whole career.

As far as "there is not a guy out there trying to end a career of another player", lololololol. You must not have watched much football in your life or you need to see an ophthalmologist. There are tons of players that built their legacy on trying to do exactly that.

lololololol

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He hit Dak hard but it did look like he tried to pull up…Dak looked like he was gonna fight for more yards and rapp kind of pushed him backwards which made it look like a slide

im sure Dallas was over there telling their guys the same thing…if josh is gonna fight for yards rushing the football hit him as hard as you can 

this is just a weird board sometimes…I’ve read the ‘were a finesse team that can’t play against a physical defense’ complaint over and over but when our defense absolutely flies all over the field making huge hits we also complain?

if you’re hitting guys hard you’re destined to get a few of those unlucky ‘hit on a defenseless receiver’ and ‘hitting a qb hard that hasn’t quite started sliding yet’ type plays 

There's nothing "unlucky" about targeting a defenseless player's head. I LOVE physical football, but I love it played the right way? You want to break a guys ribs from a punishing hit to the midsection as he catches the ball? I'm 100% here for it.

You want to decapitate a player as he's giving himself up? You can get right the ***** out of the league as far as I'm concerned.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

There's nothing "unlucky" about targeting a defenseless player's head. I LOVE physical football, but I love it played the right way? You want to break a guys ribs from a punishing hit to the midsection as he catches the ball? I'm 100% here for it.

You want to decapitate a player as he's giving himself up? You can get right the ***** out of the league as far as I'm concerned.

A lot of this is on QB's.  

If you want to get down.. get. down. 

Stop waiting until the last possible second to slide.  

More QB's are getting concussed from late shoves after they throw the ball than they are getting lit up on a late slide.

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I personally don't love guys flying around with zero control.

He has friendly fire'd his own team on multiple occasions and almost caused significant injury.

If he can't control his own body well enough to not injury his own guys, you really trust him in coverage with the game on the line?

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I mean the overall premise you’re spot on but that’s not how I personally saw that play at all…looked like Dak had a very late awkward slide attempt and rapp was lining up to drill him in the chest then tried to pull up to avoid him…didn’t hit him helmet to helmet at all and really barely contacted him to begin with 

the ‘luck’ part I was referring to was the very late slide by a qb…its gotten to the point where guys are sliding late just to draw a roughing call. There’s no doubt in my mind that’s what Dak was doing there…a split second before that hit he looked like he was fighting for every yard and you’re not really giving the defender any time to react to giving yourself up. Looked like number 9 on the cowboys tripped rapp up a bit also 

if he’s out there trying to take guys heads off then yea I agree but I genuinely don’t think he was there.  There’s no way to know for sure though without being in rapps brain of course lol

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Or maybe not lucky.  Anyone else think Rapp pulled quite the "Soccer Flop" right in front of the ref when Martin bumped him?  He sold it.

Baldy is all about what Martin did, but I thought he cost the 'Boys.

Yeah you want your OL defending your QB but Dak needs to be more decisive with his "slides".  

Both of his "slides" that drew flags were more last second side-flops than slides.

Not defending Rapp there, these defenders need to learn how to lead with their hands instead of trying to spear people..........but the bigger problem for Dak was that Zach Martin came running in to defend him and I'd bet that's where Martin actually initially injured himself.

Offensive lineman aren't expecting to sprint into action.   Martin is their best OL and OL leader and now Dak might have lost him for a while and some of that, IMO,  is on Dak for creating a contested collision situation in the first place.    The second instance was even more egregiously NOT a slide.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

The guy is an undisciplined moron, a dirty af player, and a liability in pass coverage. He hits hard and occasionally makes a good play which is great, but he's out there trying to end guys careers. That hit on Dak, as he was sliding, was ridiculous. We were lucky that martin got flagged.

Did you se how Rapp tried to go over Prescott? Also that was a last nanosecond slide by Precott that helped create that situation.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If Leonard Smith played today he'd be public enemy #1. He's not the only one of that era (Check Cecil comes to mind), it's just that the position and what is allowed has changed. The hit on Shakir was flagged and was very much just good defense in Leonard's day.

Andre Waters

1 hour ago, JackKemp said:

Did you se how Rapp tried to go over Prescott? Also that was a last nanosecond slide by Precott that helped create that situation.

It would be easy if this was the first time Rapp did something like this, but he does it all the time. He did it to Davante Adams. He did it to Breece Hall and put HIMSELF in the hospital. He's injured opponents, himself and teammates with his reckless play, all to overcompensate for his lack of ability.

9 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Rapp is being an idiot.  he thinks its the 80's and early 90's and he is chuck cecil.  

Sometimes you need that "enforcer" on defense to set the tone and give WRs/Tes/Rbs alligator arms

52 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

He should really only be playing more in the box, not in Hyde's deep role.  IMO, Cam Lewis should be starting and Rapp should be the third safety

Leeis sees alot of time too, no? I agree, I loved him for the big nickel role

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Rapp is being an idiot.  he thinks its the 80's and early 90's and he is chuck cecil.  

Are you lobbying for converting the league to flag football, or what?

What's wrong with trying to play like the '80s (or '70s) in terms of toughness.

Clubbing offensive lineman in the head used to be a LEGAL pass rush tactic! 

LOL  Game is SOFT now.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Atwater was no "little" safety.  This is a clean example of hitting.  If you are drawing flags and getting head shots on someone already wrapped up or already on the ground I'm not impressed.  Even less impressed if you are cleaning out your teammates half the time.  

Edited by Maine-iac

22 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Atwater was no "little" safety.  This is a clean example of hitting.  If you are drawing flags and getting head shots on someone already wrapped up or already on the ground I'm not impressed.  Even less impressed if you are cleaning out your teammates half the time.  

Jack Tatum tried to do the same thing to Earl Campbell. Didn't work out.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Rapp has not received a lot of love here but his style of play (along with Dotson and others) contributed to the hardest hitting Bills defense I have seen in a long, long time. This aggressive style may lead to some mistakes but is a welcome change… the Cowboys could not wait to get out of the stadium last night.

To be honest, I’m a little disappointing in the Rapp signing.  There were hopes he could step in an potentially replace Hyde or Poyer next year.  That ain’t happening. 

27 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Jack Tatum tried to do the same thing to Earl Campbell. Didn't work out.

When did John Elway morph into half man-half horse?

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

To be honest, I’m a little disappointing in the Rapp signing.  There were hopes he could step in an potentially replace Hyde or Poyer next year.  That ain’t happening. 

When did John Elway morph into half man-half horse?

Don’t get the Elway reference, but to continue Donnie Shell once did stop Earl in his tracks. 

15 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

So exactly like Leonard Smith then.

Michael Buble Check GIF by bubly

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Are you lobbying for converting the league to flag football, or what?

What's wrong with trying to play like the '80s (or '70s) in terms of toughness.

Clubbing offensive lineman in the head used to be a LEGAL pass rush tactic! 

LOL  Game is SOFT now.

Agreed we have *****Fied the hell outta it.  But under today's rules, he's and idiot.

On 12/18/2023 at 4:51 AM, Toledo Bill said:

Rapp has not received a lot of love here but his style of play (along with Dotson and others) contributed to the hardest hitting Bills defense I have seen in a long, long time. This aggressive style may lead to some mistakes but is a welcome change… the Cowboys could not wait to get out of the stadium last night.

He's no Leonard Smith.......

On 12/18/2023 at 4:58 AM, BullBuchanan said:

I think you're being a little over the top he's no Jack Tatum

• Agree 1

Personally, I’m glad it was only a one year deal and he was NOT brought in as a replacement to Poyer of Hyde.  That said, he probably will be out there a lot for the rest of the year and that kinda sucks.   He’s still an upgrade to what was there last year, but that’s not saying a lot. 

On 12/18/2023 at 12:01 PM, JackKemp said:

Holy confirmation bias.  How could Prescott possibly have slid at the last nanosecond if Rapp actually dove over him?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.