Daboll having tension with a coach in NY too

Einstein

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

There’s likely friction on every team. 

The difference between the McDermott situation and the Daboll situation (and the situation for most other teams) is that McDermott has had a top 3 (easily) QB for years and has nothing to show for it. 

Plus, McWeasel is an idiot.  So there's that.

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

As someone said, "when you get a dose of that Vitamin W, it changes everything"

I think Daboll may be undergoing what some call an "On the Job Training Experience". 

When you're winning and everyone's inspired, it's easy to believe in giving your coordinators autonomy. 

When you're losing, and your defense is 26th in the league for points given up, you may feel you need to "mix it in" and give your input to the DC. 

That may cause friction when the side of the ball you are closest to, the offense, is 32nd in the league.

It surprises me that there's apparently a strong fraction here that want to bring in Daboll as HC.  He was COTY last season, great!  But a number of new coaches have come in and given the team a "spark".  The question is whether that "spark" lasts and turns into sustained success.

It’s all been on the offense this year for them imo…their defense has looked really good at times but their offense was consistently hanging the defense out to dry. 

I’ve never been enthusiastic about Daboll…I think he’s another guy that rode Josh’s coattails and got way too much of the credit.  
plenty of stinker game plans in the Daboll days too where Josh completely bailed him out.  

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Jesus the NFL is turning into one giant soap opera. Daboll inherited a giant pile of **** and still got them in the playoffs last year. Fans are so quick to turn on coaches/players 

no pun intended 

Fans are more emotional (and bombed half the time)  than rational.  Fortunately Pegs,  while being a fan , is a rational business owner as well.   If we had Irsay as an owner, we'd be on our 4 HC in the last 4 years.   Players play the game, not the coaches.  

21 hours ago, phypon said:

I'd also add that McD also went through 2 OC's, 1 DC, a special teams coach, and a WR coach in the span of what...just over two years? 

This seems to be a strange take.

Daboll left to take a HC job, a promotion.  This isn't the usual meaning of "went through".

The only coach that left or got fired that I disagreed with was Chad Hall

DaBoll was instrumental in helping Josh develop but there were plenty of games we all cursed him just like Dorsey. I think he’s in trouble in NY after that great run last year. Almost set expectations too high for a team with mediocre talent and giving Danny Dimes that kind of money was STUPID on Joe Schein’s part. That’s going to hamstring them until he’s gone. IDK if they will survive that.

This current special teams coach Smiley should get the boot at the end of the season too. How can a team spend so much money dedicated to special teams and flat out SUCK?  That includes Not-So-Bass-O-Matic. He’s had a down year but hopefully will bounce back as we steam into the playoffs

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Daboll left to take a HC job, a promotion.  This isn't the usual meaning of "went through".

Not sure why it's a "strange" take.  Who knows if Dabs would have stayed or moved laterally or even got canned.  Obviously none of that happened, but there was clearly bad blood between the two and they didn't seem to end on a good note. Perhaps "went through" another work relationship is more fitting?

23 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Jesus the NFL is turning into one giant soap opera. Daboll inherited a giant pile of **** and still got them in the playoffs last year. Fans are so quick to turn on coaches/players 

no pun intended 

Seriously.  Him getting them to the playoffs last year was a small miracle.  That was and is one of the least talented teams in the league.  Them bombing out is the best thing for them.  Hit on some high draft picks to bring some talent in.  Need a qb too, giving a contract out to Jones was not great (though he has almost no weapons).

On 12/9/2023 at 12:11 PM, PBF81 said:

Both coaches were overrated due to the presence of Allen.  

Daboll's done absolutely nothing to distinguish himself apart from two seasons with Allen at his best.  The same for our current coach.  

McD at least has a chance to prove differently and what a great leader he is over the last five games.  Daboll at 4-8 and 7-14-1 in his last 22 games not so much.  

Maybe so, however in my opinion if Daboll was the current coach of the Bills they would have more than 6 wins and if McDermott was the current coach of the Giants they would have less than 4 wins. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yes but many of us believe he would have left the Bills regardless -head coach job or not. Mostly because of the byline in the lawsuit that stated he wanted out of Buffalo no matter what.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:45 AM, Mango said:

“In this business, it doesn’t take long to go from Bono to Bozo. So don’t get your head too big right now.”

- John Mara, referring to Brian Daboll on Sirius XM

Goodness!  When did Mara say that?

I noted a week ago, Daboll threw the game ball to Wink Martindale to show they're "all good now".  They showed the clip last night.

Damn, I was disappointed that GB didn't pull it off but when you turn the ball over 3 times (2 deep in your opponents territory or in their red zone), the odds are gonna be against you.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:34 AM, LarryMadman said:

Maybe so, however in my opinion if Daboll was the current coach of the Bills they would have more than 6 wins and if McDermott was the current coach of the Giants they would have less than 4 wins. 

Or maybe they wouldn't.  What's your explanation for the Giants going from 9-7-1 to a 2-8 start (had Jones through week 6)?

In that stretch when I watched them, they just didn't look like a well-coached well-prepared team on either offense or defense and there's Daboll screaming at Wink Martindale on the sideline.  Maybe winning COTY as a 1st year HC and being the darling of NY media kind of went to 'ol Daboll's head a 'lil bit?

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I noted a week ago, Daboll threw the game ball to Wink Martindale to show they're "all good now".  They showed the clip last night.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/31/john-maras-brian-daboll-warning-dont-go-from-bono-to-bozo/

March 31, 2023

'Brian Daboll is the football coaching equivalent of a rock star these days.

It could all change in a New York minute, though.

That was the warning from his boss, Giants owner John Mara.

“We kid him. I mean, right now he’s Bono walking around New York City,” Mara said on Sirius XM NFL Radio this week.

“But I’ve told him, I’ve said, ‘In this business, it doesn’t take long to go from Bono to Bozo. So don’t get your head too big right now.’ But he has been great.”'

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

https://nypost.com/2023/03/31/john-maras-brian-daboll-warning-dont-go-from-bono-to-bozo/

March 31, 2023

'Brian Daboll is the football coaching equivalent of a rock star these days.

It could all change in a New York minute, though.

That was the warning from his boss, Giants owner John Mara.

“We kid him. I mean, right now he’s Bono walking around New York City,” Mara said on Sirius XM NFL Radio this week.

“But I’ve told him, I’ve said, ‘In this business, it doesn’t take long to go from Bono to Bozo. So don’t get your head too big right now.’ But he has been great.”'

Kind of prophetic in hindsight, given that 2-8.

Edited by Beck Water

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If the Giants can win another game or two this season they will have overachieved again. Not to the extent of last season, for sure, but that roster is a 5 or 6 win roster. It was last year when they won 9 and a playoff game. It is this year too. 

It's still mind boggling that they lost that Jets game. That was almost impossible to lose, and they didn't lose through the fault of the coaching at all. Just players making mistakes: Barkley surrendering (in the name of ball protection) instead of fighting for the first down on the final possession, the kicker missing a very makeable FG, and Thibodeaux inexplicably jumping Offside.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Giants can win another game or two this season they will have overachieved again. Not to the extent of last season, for sure, but that roster is a 5 or 6 win roster. It was last year when they won 9 and a playoff game. It is this year too. 

They probably won't: at Eagles, at Saints, Rams at home, Eagles at home. Eagles won't be resting in the final week.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Should have beaten the Bills too if not for the non-PI call!

On 12/9/2023 at 11:38 AM, Gugny said:

There’s likely friction on every team. 

The difference between the McDermott situation and the Daboll situation (and the situation for most other teams) is that McDermott has had a top 3 (easily) QB for years and has nothing to show for it. 

Most teams with really good QBs can say that...only one team wins the SB every year.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Damn, I was disappointed that GB didn't pull it off but when you turn the ball over 3 times (2 deep in your opponents territory or in their red zone), the odds are gonna be against you.

Or maybe they wouldn't.  What's your explanation for the Giants going from 9-7-1 to a 2-8 start (had Jones through week 6)?

In that stretch when I watched them, they just didn't look like a well-coached well-prepared team on either offense or defense and there's Daboll screaming at Wink Martindale on the sideline.  Maybe winning COTY as a 1st year HC and being the darling of NY media kind of went to 'ol Daboll's head a 'lil bit?

He said it this past March, 2023 on Sirius NFL Radio.

Mara was fairly tongue in cheek about it. Daboll had been to a few Rangers games and made the Jumbotron. But I don't think an owner puts that out there lightly either. 

Also, some Buffalo guy? Dude gets a job with Giants and suddenly starts rocking Rangers gear all the time? Hard pass. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36004403/john-mara-jokingly-warns-brian-daboll-go-bono-bozo

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They deserve a ton of discredit for paying Jones though when both of their backups look just as good as him.

but they haven’t given up and that’s positive. But it’s pretty sad their lack of talent and I think offensive coaches get a big say in that. We’ll see how next year goes. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Nah, I think they would, Daboll has 5 wins with Jones, Tyrod and Tommy combining for 14 total TDs, how many does Josh have, 35. Give Daboll 21 more TDs and the Giants would have more wins, let alone the Bills if he was coach, no! 

On 12/10/2023 at 12:34 PM, LarryMadman said:

I don't know about that. McD has shown he can take a roster of dregs and compete for a Wild Card just as easily as he can take a stacked roster and compete for a Wild Card.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They deserve a ton of discredit for paying Jones though when both of their backups look just as good as him.

but they haven’t given up and that’s positive. But it’s pretty sad their lack of talent and I think offensive coaches get a big say in that. We’ll see how next year goes. 

Yea I don't think their roster build has been good. Thibadeaux has underperformed and Neal has been dreadful. That was two top 10 picks last year. Missing on one is bad. Having two and missing both is criminal. That is Cleveland Browns bad. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't think their roster build has been good. Thibadeaux has underperformed and Neal has been dreadful. That was two top 10 picks last year. Missing on one is bad. Having two and missing both is criminal. That is Cleveland Browns bad. 

Yeah, Schein has done a poor job. Daboll is a good coach but needs to work on his people skills. I think the biggest reason Belichick guys fail is they try to be like that grumpy old man without his resume. 

• Agree 1

Wink Martindale is a long term veteran defensive coordinator.  I suspect he is the kind of person who wants to do things his own way.  Daboll is also a pretty strong minded guy.  As the head coach he probably figures that when he wants to have some input on how the defense is doing things his defensive coordinator should listen to him.  

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The original disagreement was regarding Wink going rogue against Daboll's conservative game plan and sending pressure. It's funny because McDermott had tension with him for telling him to have a more balanced offense! Now he's firing Wink's people and trying to indirectly get him to leave. Seems like there is a lot of tension in that building.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Strethor said:

The original disagreement was regarding Wink going rogue against Daboll's conservative game plan and sending pressure. It's funny because McDermott had tension with him for telling him to have a more balanced offense! Now he's firing Wink's people and trying to indirectly get him to leave. Seems like there is a lot of tension in that building.

There was allegedly tension when he was with the Bills.  What's the common denominator?

On 12/9/2023 at 11:54 AM, phypon said:

I'd also add that McD also went through 2 OC's, 1 DC, a special teams coach, and a WR coach in the span of what...just over two years? 

Allen's on his third OC in as many seasons, and people wonder why he's not playing perfectly.  

For a moment I thought that Daboll had berated one of his assistant coaches for having gotten a gift from his unit.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.