AFC Standings, schedules, & Rooting Interests FINAL 1/7/24 BILLS 2 Seed!

Donuts and Doritos

Just now, Scott7975 said:

nice faith. I went from believing the Dallas and ravens were our only shot, to believing the dolphins could realistically lose out and not make playoffs at all. Tbf they have some bad injuries that I never count on. 3 on their line including the center and Hill was out like half the game. 

That was an epic collapse after being gifted 21 points. Maybe they should practice more football and less td celebrations. Their heads got too big. I hate Dolphins fans with a passion so I’m laughing my ass off today. 

I honestly stopped watching once the Dolphins went up by 2 scores thinking it was over. Over 2 hours after the game I just found out they lost.

Crazy.

But even when I stopped watching, I was pretty confident that Miami team would still find a way to lose 2 more. The Titans just handed the game to them up to that point.

Insanity.

Buffalo has this set up for them to make their run.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

nice faith. I went from believing the Dallas and ravens were our only shot, to believing the dolphins could realistically lose out and not make playoffs at all. Tbf they have some bad injuries that I never count on. 3 on their line including the center and Hill was out like half the game. 

That was an epic collapse after being gifted 21 points. Maybe they should practice more football and less td celebrations. Their heads got too big. I hate Dolphins fans with a passion so I’m laughing my ass off today. 

That’s the kind of loss that lingers … particularly the way that they were carrying on with the celebrations in the end zone when TDs were being “handed” to them …

You tell me they don’t win again this year I’ll believe it … however … I have very limited confidence in the Bills as well..

Will probably still go down to the last 2 mins of a week 18

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

That’s the kind of loss that lingers … particularly the way that the were carrying on with the celebrations in the end zone when TDs were being “handed” to them …

You tell me they don’t win again this year I’ll believe it … however … I have very limited confidence in the Bills as well..

I have a bit more confidence in the Bills than you do. Dallas is going to be tough I think but I think we get into a playoff like roll the rest of the way. This team is figuring it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I have a bit more confidence in the Bills than you do. Dallas is going to be tough I think but I think we get into a playoff like roll the rest of the way. This team is figuring it out. 

ok 

win loss win loss gives me very limited confidence… but that could still be enough to make it through 

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

ok 

win loss win loss gives me very limited confidence… but that could still be a bough to make it through 

I understand. We looked like crap for a long time this year. I gained confidence since Brady took over and our offense got back on track. Even in a Philly loss our O was great. I always believed if our O plays like that, that we can beat anybody. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Donuts and Doritos changed the title to AFC Standings, Schedules & Rooting Interests UPDATED 12/12
6 hours ago, Mango said:

I am certainly not predicting it, but the Jets seem to relish the role of spoiler at the moment. Zach Wilson is coming off of a good game. 

How awesome would Miami losing to NYJ be? 

If Miami loses to the Jets, that would initiate another late season free fall for Miami. If they fall to the Titans, Jets, Cowboys, Ravens, and Bills, they could miss the playoffs entirely 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Are you guys (and a bunch of others) okay???

Do you need medication to recover from your shock?

Have we learned yet that it's not advisable to pencil in wins for teams across the NFL?

:lol: I was just going to find this post this morning and say my plate of crow is absolutely delicious. You were right my friend, and I was wrong. This makes me even more happy. An early Christmas present from the Titans. This opens the door to winning the division even at 10-7. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In some ways Miami are a bit like the Bills. If you let them they can bludgeon you. But if you can play keep away and drag them into a tight ball game they can find a way to give it to you. 

Miami was up 14 with 5 min left in the fourth, just scoring after a Tenn TO.

that was just a total fraudulent collapse imo 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On WFAN this morning Boomer and Gio were talking about the AFC playoff picture. Both said watch out for Buffalo now. They said the best AFC playoff picture would be to replace the Steelers and Colts with the Bills and Broncos. They also mentioned the playoffs would be more exciting with Josh Allen playing in them as he is one of the most popular players in the league that fans enjoy watching play. No surprises from them but still it's nice to hear.

• Like (+1) 5

The following scenarios have the final game of the year being for the division:

Bills go 3-0, Dolphins go 0-3 (Bills 10-6, Dolphins 9-7)

Bills go 3-0, Dolphins go 1-2 (Bills 10-6, Dolphins 10-6)

Bills go 3-0, Dolphins go 2-1 (Bills 10-6, Dolphins 11-5)

Bills go 2-1, Dolphins go 0-3 (Bills 9-7, Dolphins 9-7)

Bills go 2-1, Dolphins go 1-2 (Bills 9-7, Dolphins 10-6)

Bills go 1-2, Dolphins go 0-3 (Bills 8-8, Dolphins 9-7)

So out of the 16 possible ways the next 3 games can go (ignoring ties), 6 would have the final game of the year being for the division. If you remove the possibility of the Dolphins going 3-0 and the Bills going 0-3 (which I think is pretty reasonable considering their schedules) 6 out of 9 possible scenarios involve the final game of the year being for the division. The only cases where it wouldn't would be:

Bills go 2-1, Dolphins go 2-1
Bills go 1-2, Dolphins go 1-2
Bills go 1-2, Dolphins go 2-1

It seems more likely than not to me that the final game of the year will be for the division (which I'm sure is what they envisioned when they crafted the schedule that way).

• Thank you (+1) 1

Football is a game of emotion and momentum. I’m always interested in what the teams will know at game time each week. This weekend will be interesting. There are three Saturday games, ALL of which have an impact on the Bills postseason chances, and they’ll obviously know the outcome of all three prior to taking the field late on Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I understand. We looked like crap for a long time this year. I gained confidence since Brady took over and our offense got back on track. Even in a Philly loss our O was great. I always believed if our O plays like that, that we can beat anybody. 

They blew Sunday too though. Toney saved mcds job. Very little reason for confidence 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

They blew Sunday too though. Toney saved mcds job. Very little reason for confidence 

Penalties are part of the game.  KC blew it Sunday.  Honestly Toney should have been called for illegal pick as well as he barreled into the defender that was going to cover Kelce like 10 yards downfield. Thats why Kelce was so open to begin with. The right guard was also too far off the line.  These guys just get away with ***** all the time.  Thats 3 things in that play.  Penalties are penalties.  The D also stopped them from gaining another yard on 3 straight downs.  KC only needed maybe 5 yards to try a fg.  They lost their cool and kept trying to pick up the 15 yards for a first down with deep plays.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

One thing that is great about the NFL, is that there really is no tanking, and last night proved that.  Both the Giants and the Titans are pretty much done for the year but they both came out and beat teams that were fighting for their playoff lives.  If tanking exists, it’s at the front office level…players and coaches don’t tank.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

One thing that is great about the NFL, is that there really is no tanking, and last night proved that.  Both the Giants and the Titans are pretty much done for the year but they both came out and beat teams that were fighting for their playoff lives.  If tanking exists, it’s at the front office level…players and coaches don’t tank.

Very true. The other thing that always amazes me is how the players interact with each other after the game. The idiotic fans can be getting in fist fights in the stands but the players all gather together to take pictures with their buddies and congratulate the opponent….except for Mahomes of course. 😉

10 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Going into Kansas City and winning isn’t blowing anything and should give a huge reason for confidence. Aside from Toney being Offside, they also should’ve been called for offensive pass interference on the pick that freed Kelce to being wide open. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

Going into Kansas City and winning isn’t blowing anything and should give a huge reason for confidence. Aside from Toney being Offside, they also should’ve been called for offensive pass interference on the pick that freed Kelce to being wide open. 

Exactly.  Since when does the opponent making errors in execution negatively impact your win ? It’s often the difference between victory and defeat. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, fan_in_tx said:

No one talking about the Job Levis did?   Had the fire of a young Josh Allen all game...  Took responsibility for the second fumble and willed his team to a victory.  Guy is accurate and has a strong arm...  Let's see how he does rest of the season...

I am hoping last night wasn't their Superbowl and they can help play the role of spoiler. 

Houston

Seattle

@Houston

Jags

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I am hoping last night wasn't their Superbowl and they can help play the role of spoiler. 

Houston

Seattle

@Houston

Jags

I think the Texans are in trouble. Stroud is in concussion protocol and their two top WR's are hurt. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cgg716 said:

There is a persistent belief that if that play stood KC wins.  There was still time in the game and the Bills might have scored for the win.  I agree that for once the Bills were on the lucky side of a stupid penalty.  It was about time for the Bills to get one.

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

That’s the kind of loss that lingers … particularly the way that they were carrying on with the celebrations in the end zone when TDs were being “handed” to them …

At least you can say you were right and be happy,

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

That Miami loss was so huge.

Even if we lost the Dallas game (which we won’t) our odds rose to 83%.

IMG-5210.jpg

When you do the ESPN playoff machine they miss out at 10-7 for a wildcard. Their best bet is the division.   The Texans are done but the Browns, Bengals and Broncos all have easy schedules. 

9 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

I just want to ditto this.  It was basically a downfield pick play.  Toney didn't effect the play.  But the rub/pick did.  

I was listening to ESPN radio on the way to work this evening (penance for something really bad that I did) and they were really talking up the Browns' playoff chances because Flacco was now their QB.

Flacco?

Like I said, it was ESPN...

Question about the various “playoff machines”. Everyone talks about them in terms of “odds” of making playoffs. 

I haven’t researched the machines, but assume they are just taking all the possible outcomes of the remaining games and calculating how many of those end up with the Bills being in the playoffs, is that correct?  

So, in that sense it’s not really “odds” (like betting odds) because I imagine some of those outcomes are very unlikely, for example Baltimore losing out, etc. 

Do any of the machines actually attempt to incorporate some type of actual odds that acknowledge some scenarios are more likely than others? For example, giving more weight to teams with better records beating teams with worse records.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.