Per Benjamin Allbright, McDermott's "seat is warm"

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

There’s a good chance his replacement will be worse, especially in their first year, but that’s a risk you have to take. It’s painfully obvious McD is not going to lead this team to a Lombardi.

Stop.  This team is in a position of absolute power to hire a top coach.  Go ahead, point to a better situation; a solid D, top 5 QB, and a semi competent GM, with an owner who will spend, I’ll wait.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Really not in any way an indictment on Pegula.  75% of the coaches that are hired  never make it beyond their 1st contract.  So Pegula would just join a long list of other owners that are not able to predict the future and hire the wrong guy.

So yes a likely better than 50/50 he hires the wrong guy, but that's just normal in the NFL

Yeah but what are the percentages like if the new coach hire inherits an elite franchise qb? 

Lost the team. Scape goated every single coordinator and assistant that's come through the doors. Except this year he chose to run the defense himself and it's worse than it ever was. It's time to fire the defensive coordinator. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

At this point, with McD being a defensive minded coach and calling the plays, we have lost all our games by one score.  

If he can’t win with his defense and the offense did their part, then he deserves to be fired.  

What argument is there to keep him?

He somehow helped Tyler Boyd make that play that got us into the playoffs and broke the drought. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I’m not opposed to firing McD. I’m just worried more about Pegula replacing him with someone better

I agree , and not in a wishy washy McD kind of way. McDermott should go, but I’m genuinely concerned about Terry’s choice of replacement. Hope it’s an upgrade that can get this team to a Super Bowl. Sean will absolutely waste Josh Allen’s career. He’s too good to not get at least one Lombardi. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I’m not opposed to firing McD. I’m just worried more about Pegula replacing him with someone better

I agree , and not in a wishy washy McD kind of way. McDermott should go, but I’m genuinely concerned about Terry’s choice of replacement. Hope it’s an upgrade that can get this team to a Super Bowl. Sean will absolutely waste Josh Allen’s career. He’s too good to not get at least one Lombardi. 

It’s time to move on. With all respect to what he has helped us accomplish to this point. McD is the longest tenured current coach to not have at least appeared in a Super Bowl. 

This year was the last hurrah. To fix our cap next year we will be turning the page on Tre, Poyer, Hyde, Morse, maybe Taron Johnson. The core of the team that McD built has aged out. It is a good time to start fresh and retool our team to be focused on offense with an offensive minded HC. This is Josh Allen’s prime, we can’t waste it.

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Joe Brady is auditioning as far as I’m concerned. 

I don’t see him having a chance.  If we fire McD, we are going to hire an offensive coordinator.   That guy will want to bring in his person.  

It will suck if the offense keeps this pace for the rest of the season. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Stop.  This team is in a position of absolute power to hire a top coach.  Go ahead, point to a better situation; a solid D, top 5 QB, and a semi competent GM, with an owner who will spend, I’ll wait.

Who are these top coaches that will be available you’re talking about? If mean the Bills will be an attractive destination for a top coaching CANDIDATE (i.e. Johnson or Slowik), then I agree. But I don’t think it’s likely a young rookie HC is gonna hit the ground running no matter where they end up.

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

My only fear with Pegula firing McDermott is if he goes too far and fires Beane with him. We don't need a whole front office change. Just a head coaching change

Bean can go also..he built this team ass backwards..left the offense with scraps and has us in cap hell for old von Miller that could have been aj brown devante Adam's caliber wr

17 minutes ago, HumbleAndHungry said:

Yeah but what are the percentages like if the new coach hire inherits an elite franchise qb? 

Great point.  Problem is, there are very few data points because the overwhelming majority of coaches with an elite franchise QB are not incompetent enough to get fired.

3 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Bean can go also..he built this team ass backwards..left the offense with scraps and has us in cap hell for old von Miller that could have been aj brown devante Adam's caliber wr

No, firing Beane is a huge mistake. Talent isn't the problem here. Coaching is

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Who are these top coaches that will be available you’re talking about? If mean the Bills will be an attractive destination for a top coaching CANDIDATE (i.e. Johnson or Slowik), then I agree. But I don’t think it’s likely a young rookie HC is gonna hit the ground running no matter where they end up.

Mike McDaniel, Demecco Ryans, Nick Sirianni. All immediate impact. 

The notion a team spins their wheels for years while a coach learns to coach is ridiculous and has no basis in reality. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t see him having a chance.  If we fire McD, we are going to hire an offensive coordinator.   That guy will want to bring in his person.  

It will suck if the offense keeps this pace for the rest of the season. 

Depending how the offense performs down the stretch, I think Brady will get an interview. Won’t be his only HC interview this summer either. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Depending how the offense performs down the stretch, I think Brady will get an interview. Won’t be his only HC interview this summer either. 

I very much doubt anyone is going to give him a head coaching job

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

No, firing Beane is a huge mistake. Talent isn't the problem here. Coaching is

We have no consistent number 2 wr...we have aged defensive players all over the roster and are in cap hell...we need two new saefties...mitch Morse replacement, a corner,wr2 and other areas...this team was built with a 3 yr window to get it done...it has failed and now a major overhaul is needed..if it wasn't for josh allen this team is below 500 every season

I'm done with him.  Fire him into the sun.

I defended McD to a point.  I cut the defense some slack b/c of injuries.  I pointed out that the offense was just as bad and didn't have that as an excuse.  I don't even think the D is as bad as many do.  We had turnovers, had a 10 point lead.

My problem is with how the D plays at the end of the game, when it's on them to win it.  Denver, NE, and Philly just needed the D to hold.  For NE we were up by 3, same with Philly in OT, so even if we held them to a FG, we'd still be in it.  Instead, we gave up TDs.  We almost lost to the Giants, surviving due to an uncalled penalty.  And if there was more time on the clock does anyone think we'd have stopped Tampa.

With the game on the line the defense and McD play scared.  Time and again the O makes the big plays, just to watch the D give the game away.

I am sick of it.  And of McD.  Nobody that watched this season can look me in the eye and say 13 seconds wouldn't happen again.

Edited by The Red King
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.