Really good game for von to become von again

John from Riverside

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Obviously it comes down to how he physically feels after the season, but I wonder if he retires. 

Way too much money on the table for him to retire. He's going to show up to work, give it is all and collect that paycheck. Unfortunately, his all isn't much anymore

Edited by uticaclub

He is done.  He will be 35 next year, out of the top 25 sack leaders since 1982 there has only been 8 edge rushers in the NFL at 35 years of age or older that even had 10 or more sacks in a season once they hit 35 years old. 

And none of these players were coming off an ACL knee injury.   This list has many hall of famer's too.

Bruce Smith
Reggie White
Kevin Greene
Julius Peppers
Chris Doleman
Terrell Suggs
John Abraham
Rickey Jackson

Edited by Toyo321

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

he’s not cowardly, it’s up to our coaches to assess where he is in his rehabilitation and put the best guys out there on the field.

I think you meant to quote @Your Brown Eye

I typed brave instead of the intended “brace” … as I was mentioning this is likely his first game without it. 

The other poster was commenting on bravery. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I would not count on it,  watching him against the Jets he still is just trying to go too wide and not trying to bend with some push around tackles.  That is because he does not have trust in that knee.  I don't see this changing much from one week ago,  it's going to take time.  Even White struggled last season with the same type injury after returning. 

I wonder if he'd feel less hesitant rushing from the other side. As it is right now he's got no bend at all. Just ride him way way way outside. It's so bad that if you ran a delayed blitz to that side it might actually work because the OT is halfway to the bleachers pretty quickly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I've almost written Von off, I hope I'm wrong, it's just until I see it I won't believe it. 

He was great, but he's an aging vet coming off an injury, ill keep my expectations low.

50 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

His rehab is he isn't going to be him again and we are going to need to eat his contract

Sadly 2025 is the first year we can realistically cut him. We can restructure/cut Tre White after this year though, which I think has to be done for the future of this team.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Can't we wait until he shows he can make an impact in practice? I would bet there are drills they could do to simulate game action. Not sure why he has to so slowly figure out what he's got left while taking up a spot on the field. It's like we're playing with 10 out there. He literally doesn't do anything. I would take any other option over him right now, until he proves it in practice. Hope I'm wrong this week, but I haven't been the last 6 weeks.

There is no substitute for real game action especially in rehab. If he is to rehabilitate, he needs to play.

Saying he "literally does nothing" is just wrong. Literally.

14 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I've almost written Von off, I hope I'm wrong, it's just until I see it I won't believe it. 

He was great, but he's an aging vet coming off an injury, ill keep my expectations low.

Sadly 2025 is the first year we can realistically cut him. We can restructure/cut Tre White after this year though, which I think has to be done for the future of this team.

Poyer, Hyde are too old/ too slow and need to go after this year.  Tre needs to be given an injury settlement this offseason and go as well.

We have seen the Saints be 100 mill over the cap and fix it,Beane will need to deal with avout 40 mill in cut cap damage this offseason.  Draft picks MUST be hits in 24'

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

There is no substitute for real game action especially in rehab. If he is to rehabilitate, he needs to play.

Saying he "literally does nothing" is just wrong. Literally.

You're right, he does something, he rushes wide and gets blocked wide. He occupies one lineman. That is technically something.

Edited by That's No Moon

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I think that Von is gone.

That's certainly a possibility.

But he's not soft or stupid and he's also one of the most unreal athletes you'll ever see.

There's still a window available for him to be great.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Simon said:

But he's not soft or stupid and he's also one of the most unreal athletes you'll ever see.

Didn't say any of those things. I just think he's done. Right now he's a detriment to the team to have on the field. Hopefully he gets better but so far I don't see any evidence that's he's rounding into any sort of form.

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They have been carefully bringing him along on a snap count the weeks now we need for our pass rush to the elite in order to beat the Eagles

Come on von

yea, I think it was a medical snap count early, starting to wonder if it’s simply that he’s our 4th best edge rusher limiting his time of the field at this point 

Hate to say it, but so far he’s been a liability. He makes zero attempt to move laterally (understandable given the injury). He pushes straight forward, often times multiple yards past the QB. It’s like there’s 10 guys out there when he is playing. I respect his history of greatness, and I understand letting him gain confidence while he fully recovers, but this is crunch time. And if he can’t contribute, he shouldn’t be out there. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

Yes, the only way he returns to his past form is to play and incrementally regain confidence in his knee.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Von is a freak athlete. If anyone can beat the odds, he can. If he fails it's not because he's soft or unmotivated. He's never been either of those things.

For some reason I've had this premonition that Von will get his first sack this week. I also sense that Rasul is gonna get another pick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

Hate to say it, but so far he’s been a liability. He makes zero attempt to move laterally (understandable given the injury). He pushes straight forward, often times multiple yards past the QB. It’s like there’s 10 guys out there when he is playing. I respect his history of greatness, and I understand letting him gain confidence while he fully recovers, but this is crunch time. And if he can’t contribute, he shouldn’t be out there. 

Totally agree, right now he is a liability. He can’t move side-to-side, he’s lost his quickness, and he has never been the strongest defender on the field, so how is he contributing? Answer: None to little. As he is now, he is a liability. Yeah, it’s 11 versus 10 when he is on the field. 

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I wonder if he'd feel less hesitant rushing from the other side. As it is right now he's got no bend at all. Just ride him way way way outside. It's so bad that if you ran a delayed blitz to that side it might actually work because the OT is halfway to the bleachers pretty quickly.

The ket word is bending,  speed rushers need to bend around tackles and maybe he would be betters  coming off the right side

4 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

5% improvement each week.

He should be 100% by week 7 next year.

Bills would take that because cutting next season is a 32 million dead cap hit

• Vomit 1

10 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

There might be something real about this,  I heard Sal (?) say on a Philly (?) podcast that Von was to wear that knee brace for a full year post surgery.  It may be coming off soon.  He may be more brave without the brace.😉

Well a man his size and strength I'm sure the brace he used was solidly sturdy to impede his flexibility and his game was always based more around his flexibility than anything else imho.  So the brace being removed may  be a noticeable difference  in plays. We shall soon see if this might be the case.   

21 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Totally agree, right now he is a liability. He can’t move side-to-side, he’s lost his quickness, and he has never been the strongest defender on the field, so how is he contributing? Answer: None to little. As he is now, he is a liability. Yeah, it’s 11 versus 10 when he is on the field. 

Beane would have been better off trading for Smith from the Bear,  I think it only cost them a 3rd rounder and his contract is very reasonable. He is years younger and totally transformed the Ravens defence. Miller at his advanced age was always a risk even before his injury

14 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

There might be something real about this,  I heard Sal (?) say on a Philly (?) podcast that Von was to wear that knee brace for a full year post surgery.  It may be coming off soon.  He may be more brave without the brace.😉

It may also take time for him to adjust without it and trust it.

On 11/25/2023 at 1:44 AM, John from Riverside said:

They have been carefully bringing him along on a snap count the weeks now we need for our pass rush to the elite in order to beat the Eagles

Come on von

Von is sleep walking out there.  Not a chance he produces today, or, maybe even this season.

16 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's not going to happen -- ever. It's over for Miller.

He was a tremendously risky signing to begin with.  He'd have had to have been great for 3 seasons in order for it to have worked out.  

The risk side has played out.  

But let's not forget why we took that risk, because Beane hadn't been able to find an effective edge-rusher in four drafts prior to that.  

• Agree 2

I lost all cutting ability when I tore my acl. Not sure if it was all in my head, but I went from running around people to running directly into them. 

We’re talking about sandlot stuff. I’m not comparing myself to Von in any way, shape, or form. But he appears to go directly at the lineman now. He was able to get away with that when he had the bends as well, because the lineman didn’t know what he was bringing. But if they know he’s going directly at them, with no threat of his other tools, i couldn’t see it being very difficult for these huge dudes to slow him down. He was never the biggest guy, and his game was never all power. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.