Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?

Logic

Simple Question: Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. On opening day 2024, do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

• Yes
    • No

31 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Regardless of the reality of whether McDermott is "the problem".. it's clear there's issues that he can't resolve. The next guy may not be able to resolve them either, but they need to move on. 

The sooner the new guys get here, the sooner they can start working on it.  2024 is looking like it's going to be a very bad year for the Bills roster due to our cap situation and Fas, old players under contract etc.  It seems like a good time to install a new staff and let them gear up for 2025, with limited expectations in 2024

• Thank you (+1) 1

Absolutely not.

Too many preventable meltdowns in close games... many of them in bizarre fashion.  I have zero faith in McDermott or anyone he puts in his staff to keep things buttoned up.

There are also legitimate questions that he butted heads with dabol's aggressive offense and is hell bent on trying to return to 1978 football

• Like (+1) 1

I mean I almost voted yes because if he's still here that means the Bills played in the Super Bowl. But all things equal, it's time to move on. He brought the franchise back to life but even Jesus himself only stayed around another 40 days or so after the resurrection and then he put it in the hands of someone else. It's time to do that in Buffalo too. 

29 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Doesn’t matter what we want. 0% chance he’s getting fired. McDermott is the guy calling the shots in Buffalo. Whatever McDermott wants, he’s going to get. You could tell after McDermott presser last night that changes were going to be made.

If you guys remember when they hired McDermott. They hired him before they hired the GM which was unheard of at the time. McDermott led the GM search. Everything starts with him. Terry has given him the keys. The success the Bills have had in his tenure. He’ll get his opportunity to right the ship. 

McDermott is in charge of nothing if Terry wants to fire his ass. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It ALL depends on how the season plays out.

If we beat some of the good teams, get on a run, and win the division?  I would want him back.

If (as is more expected), we just fizzle out, lose the games we're expected to lose, and finish 9-8 or something?  It's time to move on.

25 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes. I am also wishing for a few more dental implants.

I also want the Bills to trade up in the 1st round and draft a defensive back in the 2024 draft.

I didn’t read the author of the post and was halfway through typing “You better delete this or Bill from NYC is gonna be at your door” but caught it at last second. Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

When evaluating McDermott, and other coaches, I don't think it's a binary question of is this coach good or bad, a winner or a loser.

Just like with players, there are some better-than-average or good coaches who will never be great, or championship calibre. But, whereas, with one player he is always surrounded by 10 others, and you can't have 11 great or championship-calibre players on the field at once, a head coach's impact is far greater and less dependent on the impact of his staff than one player is. 

That's where I put McDermott, a good but not great coach. He got the team upright after the drought, but he can't help the Bills challenge for a championship on a consistent basis.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Only if and It would be a big IF... we somehow make the playoffs in our own terms. Meaning finishing the rest of the season 6-1 or the better and a good run in the playoffs. 

No miracle 8-9 Andy Dalton helping us. I will take that but I would not want the HC back.

31 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

The people have spoken. 

If I had any technical talent, I’d put up the same poll for Beane. I mean his drafting is not good in my view. Great at FA’s and contract structure, but picks stink (which means I’d do a scout reboot as well). 

Beane is the anti-Whaley. 

Whaley would bring in a couple bargain FAs who would be ProBowlers and draft like 1 really good player per year and 6 trainwrecks. 

Beane brings in bargain FAs who play like bargain FA’s and drafts 7 JAGs per year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Does anyone believe Sean deserves a pass for 12 men? That boneheaded, imbecilic lack of attention to detail, cost our fan base any chance at the playoffs. Sean is a good DC and leader of men, but after his time here I can honestly say, he’s not a championship HC.

I wanted him gone after 13 seconds. That was a fire able offense. IMHO.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

For the small minority that still believes McD should be the head coach here next year....I'd love to know your reason for this without citing the previous 17 years before he came here or the lucky 4th down TD by the Bengals that sent the Bills to the playoffs in 2017.

It’s simply fear of going back, ignoring that wasting Allen is very much the equivalent of 17 years but with a good qb in house.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.