DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree. Cover1 guys were not on the Dorsey sucks bandwagon until now. The video however is not cover1.  Its Dan O.

It’s Erik Turner linking it and saying “we talked about this all the time” lol.

Its baloney. What you say on the internet exists forever. These dudes ran cover for Kenny and talked up the advanced stats and EPA and are now turning around and saying “Exactly! He had to go.”

It’s kinda funny. It’s not like they have special access they need to protect. Hard to be unbiased fans I guess. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It’s Erik Turner linking it and saying “we talked about this all the time” lol.

Its baloney. What you say on the internet exists forever. These dudes ran cover for Kenny and talked up the advanced stats and EPA and are now turning around and saying “Exactly! He had to go.”

It’s kinda funny. It’s not like they have special access they need to protect. Hard to be unbiased fans I guess. 

Exactly

1 minute ago, Orlando Tim said:

I do feel bad for Dorsey in that I think he was trying to teach Josh how to dink and dunk therefore making him the true ultimate weapon, but Josh is not built that way. Dorsey tried to simplify things and beat teams with execution, but this is not the team for that.

Some people call that trying to put a square peg into a round hole. 

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree. Cover1 guys were not on the Dorsey sucks bandwagon until now. The video however is not cover1.  Its Dan O.

They were not on the Dorsey sucks bandwagon, but they did consistently point out places where they thought the play calling and play design could be improved.

Consistently. And especially so recently. Erik's breakdowns regularly questioned Dorsey, particularly the play designs.

I mean, 8 days ago Erik put out a video titled "Is Ken Dorsey's Offensive Scheme Holding Back Josh Allen?"

And his answer in the video was that his offense had some really good aspects but that it was "sort of disjointed," and that "when the coverage beater is taken away, or it's not there or Josh just skips it for whatever reason, there's nothing coming into his line of sight on a play like this." He didn't say this was true on all plays but did say it about a bunch of plays. He said, "There's not a lot of scheming going on," meaning that Dorsey wasn't scheming (much) to get guys open, and that he wanted to see more of that. There was more.

He was saying that while Dorsey's offense was very efficient, that it also limited Josh. His main complaint was that Dorsey wasn't building on top of those efficient plays with possible explosives that Josh could use to make big plays. He like the basics but wanted more built over the top so that when teams adapted to the more efficient stuff and saw it a lot that they could then capitalize when the defense was moving up and when Josh wanted to take a shot.

No, he wasn't saying that all the blame should be put on Dorsey. And that's smart and reasonable. Anyone saying all the blame should have been put on Dorsey was just wrong. There were plenty of execution problems as well, and Erik didn't pretend otherwise.

But he was absolutely questioning elements of Dorsey's designs. Without question.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think the biggest problem lies in people feeling McDermott gets some lifetime pass for our drought exit.  And Beane gets a lifetime pass for selecting Josh.  But outside of these 2 actions, these 2 guys have struggled quite a bit.  Beane with several failed picks and McD with several failed coaching decisions. I still want McD gone first and give Beane one final year to turn things around with a heavy 2024 offensive draft.

They have a 0.626 win percentage, 3 division titles and 5 playoff appearances in 6 years. I think that’s the opposite of struggling.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Tough to do this in a short week or it must’ve been that bad

Maybe this had been discussed with Brady couple weeks or so back this was a strong chance this would happen and prepare in advance?

But then that would imply McD is on top of things and that hasn't seemed to be the case 

7 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I do feel bad for Dorsey in that I think he was trying to teach Josh how to dink and dunk therefore making him the true ultimate weapon, but Josh is not built that way. Dorsey tried to simplify things and beat teams with execution, but this is not the team for that.

I hear you, but I would mildly disagree. This is the team for that, as long as you're doing some other things also. At times the efficient offense has worked really well here. But you need more as well. Even Brady would take deep shots sometimes when the defenses made them available.

Somebody had to go. Some changes had to be made. They needed to diverge, at least a bit, from what was happening on this offense.

I feel bad for Dorsey too. He's not completely to blame, but he did carry a very significant share of the blame, and he didn't appear willing to make major changes as things got worse. My guess is he learns from this and is an OC again, but five to eight years down the road with some more experience under his belt and more tricks up his sleeve.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Anyone else find it odd that this dude just made this account 19 hours ago after Dorsey got fired and has pretty much just ragged on how Josh is the problem since making that account?

Unrelated. Just how the conversations have evolved. Been reading for a long time, decided to join the discussions.

There is plenty of blame to go around. I don't think Allen is the only problem. I think I challenge the notion that he isn't one of them. And by one them..I just mean his current level of play isn't good enough.  You can complete 7 of 10 all day but if 1 of other 3 are consistently caught by the other team, its not getting it done.  Punts win games, INT/fumbles do not.

Most of all, i don't like what I'm seeing in his demeanor. Defeatist. Despair.  He's the leader of the team. Gotta show it at ALL times. He's one of the best QB's in the NFL. He's not playing like it right now. He's not acting like it right now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Anyone else find it odd that this dude just made this account 19 hours ago after Dorsey got fired and has pretty much just ragged on how Josh is the problem since making that account?

Let's see: 

34-30

K (11)  E (5)  N (14)  D (4) = 34

Q (17)  B (2)  11 = 30

Connect The Dots

• Haha (+1) 1

There’s a chance that Allen is the problem here. It’s hard to win conference championships, let alone Super Bowls, and that’s the expectation in Buffalo. What if that’s not in the cards for this guy. He’s playing terribly, and the picks he throws are what you’d see from bad quarterbacks. There’s a problem with JA17. Does he ever come back from bad plays during games? He’s a front runner. And when he’s down, he acts like someone took his coco crisp.

is this going to be 10 more years of coaches being responsible with the task of “fixing Josh Allen” for it only to never ever happen. He’s six years in, this isn’t looking great. 

He just does not seem like the type of team leader that holds guys accountable. Again, I think he cares more about being liked than doing what’s necessary. He didn’t lead anything great in college or in high school, so what experience does he has leading an NFL team? Pretty much none. 

I mean how bad does this get? McDermott gets fired. Then what?? What if Josh Allen is Jay Cutler… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4

44 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Further to the point, Dorsey was the fourth-tier problem behind Beane (1), McDermott (2), and Allen (3). But hopefully, there’s at least a short-term spark of motivation/creativity.

Offense was stagnant almost to the point of pop warner football   Bills make things too hard  3rd and short run the football from under center  Use Harty underneath not have the little guy running deep outs  His skill set can be that much different than Beasley  Need to have a checkdown available for Allen at all times  Where are the screen passes/end arounds/jet sweep?  Just because you have a good qb doesnt mean you dont need to mix things up and keep defenses guessing

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Three years in row, the Bills have fired coordinators. I’m no front office savant, but that’s a wrap. All three phases, gone. What a track record. That is unsurvivable for McDermott. It’s his staff that he’s gutting. Who would want to even work with this coward at this point.  

Simply not right. Or rather, it's right that you're ot a front office savant. Not to mention there's no evidence, beyond the fact that people want to believe it, that Frazier was fired.

Very survivable. Most particularly if they improve now. But even if they keep playing at this level, McD's most likely got at least another year because of how well this team has played before this year under him. It's not a sure thing but it's likely.

The idea's dumb. If a coach that fired his unit coaches couldn't get people to take over those jobs, most of the teams in the league would not be able to get OCs or DCs. And instead, it's not a problem.

18 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

B***h move by McDermott.

why now? The offense has four turnovers, three of which were flukey and none of the four on McDermott. Bills probably score 30 and win easily if they have 1 turnover instead of 3.

For all we know there was some turmoil and McDermott just couldn't take it anymore or got the squeeze from Terry to make the change. I was a Dorsey supporter tbh.

42 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

There’s a chance that Allen is the problem here. It’s hard to win conference championships, let alone Super Bowls, and that’s the expectation in Buffalo. What if that’s not in the cards for this guy. He’s playing terribly, and the picks he throws are what you’d see from bad quarterbacks. There’s a problem with JA17. Does he ever come back from bad plays during games? He’s a front runner. And when he’s down, he acts like someone took his coco crisp.

is this going to be 10 more years of coaches being responsible with the task of “fixing Josh Allen” for it only to never ever happen. He’s six years in, this isn’t looking great. 

He just does not seem like the type of team leader that holds guys accountable. Again, I think he cares more about being liked than doing what’s necessary. He didn’t lead anything great in college or in high school, so what experience does he has leading an NFL team? Pretty much none. 

I mean how bad does this get? McDermott gets fired. Then what?? What if Josh Allen is Jay Cutler… 

Are we just going to pretend that 2020,2021, and 2022 (injury not withstanding) Allen didn't exist?

These are some of the most braindead takes I've heard in my life. You know what you could get for trading Allen with the current contract he has? There are like 23-26 teams out there jealous of what we have in Allen and would drop their QB in a heartbeat for him. You could ask for anything and likely get it.

It's so absurd and disconnected from reality to come in and moan about the QB like the Bills have any trouble in that department at all. Allen is the most talented player the franchise has ever lucked into, and goofballs out here are pretending that Ken "I can't develop a route tree" Dorsey and Sean "I crumble quicker than anyone" McDermott are the real stars of the show. 

Give me a break.

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Are we just going to pretend that 2020,2021, and 2022 (injury not withstanding) Allen didn't exist?

These are some of the most braindead takes I've heard in my life. You know what you could get for trading Allen with the current contract he has? There are like 23-26 out there jealous of what we have in Allen and would drop their QB in a heartbeat for him. You could ask for anything and likely get it.

It's so absurd and disconnected from reality to come in and moan about the QB like the Bills have any trouble in that department at all. Allen is the most talented player the franchise has ever lucked into, and goofballs out here are pretending that Ken "I can't develop a route tree" Dorsey and Sean "I crumble faster than paper" McDermott are the real stars of the show. 

Give me a break.

And I disagree. Allen is playing like asshe looks like asshe is @$$. Hit the bricks pal.

I don’t care what he did in 2021 anymore. It was great when it was happening. So I should think he’s untouchable now, after this stretch? Allen has created the doubt, not me. And I’m a little concerned. 

I don’t know what to tell you. You’re obviously sure that Allen is great, and this year (and half of last) never happened. I liked 2020 Allen, to be honest. Quick decisions, quick release. Sorry, he’s pretty far from that now, and trending. Not good at all. 

I get it, he’s physically gifted. But I think OJ32 and BS78 were more talented at their positions than Allen is at this point in his career. Smith and OJ are all-timers, NFL wise. Allen isn’t. I might even put prime Thermal above Allen. Having a talent for the spectacular Having a talent for stupid interceptions and fumbles

1 minute ago, Thrivefourfive said:

And I disagree. Allen is playing like asshe looks like asshe is @$$. Hit the bricks pal.

I don’t care what he did in 2021 anymore. It was great when it was happening. So I should think he’s untouchable now, after this stretch? Allen has created the doubt, not me. And I’m a little concerned. 

I don’t know what to tell you. You’re obviously sure that Allen is great, and this year (and half of last) never happened. I liked 2020 Allen, to be honest. Quick decisions, quick release. Sorry, he’s pretty far from that now, and trending. Not good at all. 

I get it, he’s physically gifted. But I think OJ32 and BS78 were more talented at their positions than Allen is at this point in his career. Smith and OJ are all-timers, NFL wise. Allen isn’t. I might even put prime Thermal above Allen. Having a talent for the spectacular Having a talent for stupid interceptions and fumbles

I'd suggest you don't watch the Bills anymore then.  Allen isn't going anywhere and on the verge of sounding rude I'm not sure you have a very strong grasp of the game anyways.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is a small brain issue.  The Bills have the best OL under Allen.  Keep trying.

Do you watch the games? We can't make a yard on a vital 3rd and 1. We gave to throw from the shotgun.  Brown and Morse are pushed on top of JA half the time. Yes this is the best OL JA has had but it's far from good enough. Try again.

31 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

There’s a problem with JA17. Does he ever come back from bad plays during games? He’s a front runner. And when he’s down, he acts like someone took his coco crisp.

This year alone Allen made some bad plays early against the Giants, NE and Denver.  And in all three games Allen rebounded to have very productive final stretches where he led the Bills to a win over the Giants and put the Bills in the lead with less then 2 minuets to play against NE & Denver.  So yes Allen has clearly demonstrated just in the last few weeks that he can "come back from bad plays during game's".  What's your next question?

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.