DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Allen is a top tier QB in the league.  Period.

Beane and McDermott have been milking Allen and allocating a majority of resources including high draft picks and cap money to defensive side. Until McDERMOTT is fired they will always look or lean towards cavemen football Also can Beanne stop keeping loser players on this roster for special teams,  we waste roster spots and cap space on these guys and they just don't offer much at all.

Easy to see what is going on.  McDermott is now in the hot seat.  If they don't perform the rest of the season and finish 7-10, for example, he's gone.  100% guaranteed.  Next week will be a very big game for McDermott. 

When your top-5 QB performs far worse than he has in the last several years, it falls on the coaches.  They need to make sure Josh is phyically and mentally ready to perform on the field and they have failed this year.  The rest of the offense is similarly suffering.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Have you considered that Allen's disinterest stemmed from a toxic relationship with Dorsey? 

We don't know the root cause of Allen's sudden decline but there is no other single factor which was evident. 

Not being in the room with these guys I can only speculate that Allen, and Diggs, and who knows who else, were unhappy with the game plans, strategy, and play calls to the point they started to check out on game day.  And now with Dorsey gone there's no place for anyone to hide.  How they rally and improve to make it interesting or just crap their pants down the stretch is going to tell us a lot about the team. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree... with a qualifier.  

I'd say that Allen is a top-tier QB with the right coaching. 

I think Allen would set records under Andy Reid, for example.  But I don't think every NFL HC or OC would know how to optimize Allen's strengths while minimizing his weaknesses.  

The best coaches are the ones who scheme to their players strengths. This wasn’t happening this year.

Josh’s stats this year are top of the league.  Shows he is very good despite coaching.  Imagine what could be if we had competent coaching?  

Feel like we are wasting an amazing talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I am old enough to remember how folks got fed up with Wade Phillips and pushed for his exit and we went through 2 decades of terrible HCs.

Not saying Wade did not have his blind spots - he did, but the org definitely took several steps backwards when he left. Sometimes it is about where someone fits best to do the best job they can do. I think McD is better suited as a HC that is more focused on managing the coaches and staff and ensuring QC for the team. As he has become more involved with the defense the overall quality of the team preparation and ability to execute in all 3 phases has trended downward.

Before he is run out the door with pitchforks and torches the organization may be better served going back to a formula that was working. And that was having a DC who could get in the weeds of preparing that side of the ball, and OC that is a proven offensive coach that can manage that side of the team while McD manages the overall team quality and coordination.

Dorsey was going to be held accountable for an offense that has taken steps backwards and that is a tough lesson for Allen who is the key piece of executing his offense. At the end of the day the performance of the players on offense really does affect the jobs and careers of coaches and coordinators.

Wade was a defensive coach and his defense often were lights out  He didn't get the right guys to run the offense and never had a qb of Josh's caliber  A Wade Phillips defense didnt give up leads at end of games often

• Agree 3

McDermott just pulled a power play and people aren't seeing it.

Josh is being paid 43M per, so he isn't going anywhere.  Still, he reportedly had input into elevating Dorsey to OC, but the decision was McD's.  

McD has fired 4 coordinators in 7 years and likely will be under scrutiny if Buffalo doesn't get to the SB.  That's highly unlikely with this roster.  

Now, McD can spin this hire (and firing now) of Dorsey into that Josh wanted him and he did what he thought best for the franchise QB.  

McD gets another crack at an OC if the season continues going sideways.  And probably doesn't get fired by TPegs for this (so-far) bad season. 

Might seem a bit Machiavellian, but this is McD we're talking about.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

McDermott just pulled a power play and people aren't seeing it.

Josh is being paid 43M per, so he isn't going anywhere.  Still, he reportedly had input into elevating Dorsey to OC, but the decision was McD's.  

McD has fired 4 coordinators in 7 years and likely will be under scrutiny if Buffalo doesn't get to the SB.  That's highly unlikely with this roster.  

Now, McD can spin this hire (and firing now) of Dorsey into that Josh wanted him and he did what he thought best for the franchise QB.  

McD gets another crack at an OC if the season continues going sideways.  

Might seem a bit Machiavellian, but this is McD we're talking about.  

It’s self-serving, no doubt.  Makes very little sense after a Monday game in which the offense left the field with a lead and the D and ST blew it.  This is all about McD scapegoating Dorsey.  I don’t see it as Machiavellian though.  I see it as desperate because this season is barely even clinging to the brink and he probably would have had a mutiny on his hands if he didn’t do something. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Have you considered that Allen's disinterest stemmed from a toxic relationship with Dorsey? 

We don't know the root cause of Allen's sudden decline but there is no other single factor which was evident. 

I can tell you that the QB's demeanor and the way he's carrying himself is pretty concerning, no?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Which ones? I'm genuinely asking.

He called a high-low concept where a WR runs an out to the sideline like 15 yards down the field and another WR or TE runs an out 5 yards down the field. 

It makes the DB have to choose to cover one of them and Allen is supposed to throw to the other one. They run it like 5 times a game and it has led to a bunch of INTs. I think defenses have figured it out.

1 minute ago, bigK14094 said:

Interm title, means maybe a new guy.  Maybe Daboll if he gets canned in NY

Daboll is coming back here to be HC, not OC.  Someone earlier mentioned a McD power play in canning Dorsey.  Josh has a little more leverage than McD, and if this season goes up in flames and Daboll gets canned we’ll see who has the juice at OBD. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, davefan66 said:

First round pick will be a corner.

You might be right. Tre probably isn't coming back and if he does will, he ever regain his old form coming off two major injuries. Poyer and Hyde are nearing the end, so the secondary is going to have to be rebuilt. With that said I would love to get Marvin Harrison Jr here, but I know that is unrealistic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.