DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

21 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

This is second hand from someone on the plane home, and I posted it here earlier.  Apparently it was a wild ride home, with a huge range of emotions from crying to screaming to yelling at coaches to guys punching seats out.  Offense blaming defense, people screaming at each other.  Just bonkers.  That account was in the back of my mind last year, and I wondered how McD could recover from that given that nobody ever really accepted responsibility for that mess.  

I’ll add another layer about accountability.  Imagine that, after the 13 second fiasco, you plod through last year and one of your superstars is having off-field drama that culminates in someone scorned dropping a certain bomb to the family the night before a playoff game and a late night three ring circus at home afterwards.  Imagine, too, if that wasn’t dealt with to the satisfaction of another superstar who had his fill of the nonsense and the lack of accountability for said nonsense and it becomes easy to see how the whole “process” thing in the eyes of many is a bit of a sham.  

I know people here think Daboll is a lousy head coach, and maybe they’re right.  But that guy gets the vibe around here, the players respect him, and I have long sensed that they feel like the wrong one left after 13 seconds.  He’s about what we need right now in making this a fun place to go to work again.  Because I get the sense that nobody enjoys spending time in the office right now. 

I'm not someone in the know, just a regular longtime fan like most, but this all makes sense to me.  Going into the year, I was not on the fire McDermott train, given everything he has done to help turn this franchise around, but unfortunately feel like the Bucs felt, when they fired Dungy and replaced him with Gruden, to help get them over the top.  That being said, it's easy to fire someone.  Replacing them with a superior coach/leader, is the hard part. Things do seem stale and feel like McDermott has lost the team.  There are also no more assistants left to fire/blame. 

All in all, I don't think you can fire him after 1 bad year, unless you are 100% sure that you can land an upgrade.  and please....no more DC's.  You have to stick with the times and hire an offensive minded coach.   

16 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

First round pick will be a corner.

As it should be. It's absolutely the biggest hole on the roster. Except maybe Safety. But find someone that can pull double duty the first year if need be.

We can still take a WR in the 2nd round. Which would still be by far the highest pick we've used on actually drafting a WR (not including the 1st for Diggs).

Just now, Limeaid said:

He pushed for Dorsey but he did not change his game so he could be successful.

Actually, IMHO, it was Dorsey who has SO clearly changed JOSH's game this year. It has been a thing of misery to watch week after week. Josh had fun ONCE last night; when he was allowed to RUN into the end zone. He was happy, and the team was happy...Soooo short lived though...

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Isn't it up to the OC to help the QB improve his game?

This is something I dont get about fans. Even if we admit that Josh is the primary reasons that things arent working we arent gonna fire Josh! So maybe, just maybe, we can get an OC that works better with Josh. Maybe not but better to try and see then keep trying to jam the same square peg through the same round hole 2 years in a row.

17 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

He called a high-low concept where a WR runs an out to the sideline like 15 yards down the field and another WR or TE runs an out 5 yards down the field. 

It makes the DB have to choose to cover one of them and Allen is supposed to throw to the other one. They run it like 5 times a game and it has led to a bunch of INTs. I think defenses have figured it out.

The defense was in Quarters coverage - Allen isn't reading the DB to determine which throw to make on that play. Outs/Comebacks vs. Quarters coverage is the Quarters beater - you can't throw low and inside. That wasn't a scheme/Dorsey issue - it was a Josh issue.

• Agree 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

As it should be. It's absolutely the biggest hole on the roster. Except maybe Safety. But find someone that can pull double duty the first year if need be.

We can still take a WR in the 2nd round. Which would still be by far the highest pick we've used on actually drafting a WR (not including the 1st for Diggs).

Edge rusher is also a big hole if Miller doesn’t return to form and we elect to not re-sign Epenesa.

We have Rousseau, Jonathan, and Miller signed for next year.

37 minutes ago, Beast said:

100%

Two years ago the special teams coordinator was the scapegoat.

Last year, Leslie.

This year, Dorsey.

McDermott put this staff together. He should be next.

Question is - does Beane stay on and is he the one who fires his partner? Or does Pegula fire them both? Does Pegula have the ballz to do that? I'm skeptical.

27 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Which ones? I'm genuinely asking.

I mean, look at what a joke "mesh" has become even among the Cover1 analysts that it's a huge deal when it actually manages to work (against a crappy Tampa Bay Defense). Yet we still force it. With more horrible results last night.

For examples beyond that, you're more qualified to find them than anyone else here so it shouldnt be too hard.

Just now, npeartisgod said:

Actually, IMHO, it was Dorsey who has SO clearly changed JOSH's game this year. It has been a thing of misery to watch week after week. Josh had fun ONCE last night; when he was allowed to RUN into the end zone. He was happy, and the team was happy...Soooo short lived though...

Is this what its about...having fun?  

The Bills ran the ball just fine last night without Josh running around. Its not like a lack of a run game was hindering the pass offense.  

2 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

one of your superstars is having off-field drama that culminates in someone scorned dropping a certain bomb to the family the night before a playoff game and a late night three ring circus at home afterwards.

I'll just ask it out loud. Did JA actually get some girl pregnant and his GF found out? Is THAT why that playoff game sucked so BADLY?! I know it was a hot rumor, but has it actually been substantiated?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.