DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

Listening to McD's Press Conference. He said something interesting about why he made the changes and something that stuck out to me was that he said "sometimes there are a lot of things that are in the margins that don't necessarily get noticed and you have to take pride on doing things the right way."  

Translation to me is that Dorsey allowed sloppiness in practice that then translated over to games.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Players are saying its too complicated? The general consensus on the board is that it is too bland and basic and defenses key in on it. 

Yes at least 3 players have commented that its the most complicated offense they have ever seen.  That includes Diggs making the comment as well.  I don't care what the general consensus on the board is.  It can be both bland and basic from a presnap standpoint and complicated post snap when most of the board, including myself has no idea what they are looking at.  @HoofHearted has said these guys can run like 5 different routes between pre and post snap.  You think thats easy for everyone to be on the same page all the time?

Bottom line is these guys need to get back to basic football.  Dorsey wasn't getting the job done.  The QB isnt getting traded because he throws INTs.  Cook isnt getting traded because he fumbled the football. Kincaid isnt getting traded because he dropped a football. Diggs isnt getting traded because the media wants to stir drama.  They also can't just status quo every week.  Change needed to happen.  This isn't just about one week.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Big Turk said:

Listening to McD's Press Conference. He said something interesting about why he made the changes and something that stuck out to me was that he said "sometimes there are a lot of things that are in the margins that don't necessarily get noticed and you have to take pride on doing things the right way."  

Translation to me is that Dorsey allowed sloppiness in practice that then translated over to games.  

Maybe he can then talk about the special teams failures like the one that cost us the win lastnight, and why teams can move the ball against his defense at will when the game is on the line?

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes at least 3 players have commented that its the most complicated offense they have ever seen.  That includes Diggs making the comment as well.  I don't care what the general consensus on the board is.  It can be both bland and basic from a presnap standpoint and complicated post snap when most of the board, including myself has no idea what they are looking at.  @HoofHearted has said these guys can run like 5 different routes between pre and post snap.  You think thats easy for everyone to be on the same page all the time?

Bottom line is these guys need to get back to basic football.  Dorsey wasn't getting the job done.  The QB isnt getting traded because he throws INTs.  Cook isnt getting traded because he fumbled the football. Kincaid isnt getting traded because he dropped a football. Diggs isnt getting traded because the media wants to stir drama.

It's mostly his brother stirring the drama on Twitter, but yeah.

2 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Agreed, it's a pretty perfect situation for Brady (other than facing the jets D). He's getting a healthy offense at its rock bottom, he can go in and scheme some simple run game to play action and at least make it look like the offense is semi competent and it's a win for him.

Just go into the playbook and find what he ran with Burrow at LSU.  Plays are freaking plays, concepts are concepts.

There ARE plays he ran at LSU just naming convention is different.  

Look K gun this ****   12-15 pass plays and 7-8 run plays  based on the opponent that week.  Just go simple and execute

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Bottom line is these guys need to get back to basic football.  Dorsey wasn't getting the job done.  The QB isnt getting traded because he throws INTs.  Cook isnt getting traded because he fumbled the football. Kincaid isnt getting traded because he dropped a football. Diggs isnt getting traded because the media wants to stir drama.

Well there have been opposing defensive players that have made claims of a basic offense which is where I believe people are picking it up from.

That and the route trees aren't very creative with wrs bunched together all the time, but I guess that could be the complexity? 

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sounds like dorsey was afraid to upset Josh.  If so tough ****  Josh needs a foot in his butt with how crappy he has been playing.  Davol was on him hard.

Hell maybe thats part of the problem. Maybe Josh needs to toughen up.  Hell  who knows anymore

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

At least he said things were not going the way he wanted, the O hasn't been making strides and it was time to make a change.  Sure was... 👀👀👀 :beer: 

Also acknowledged that the O was good against Miami, but has sucked the rest of the season.  Sure has. :D 

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Well there have been opposing defensive players that have made claims of a basic offense which is where I believe people are picking it up from.

That and the route trees aren't very creative with wrs bunched together all the time, but I guess that could be the complexity? 

I'm not smart enough to know.  I know what I heard from players mouths though.  

11 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Players are saying its too complicated? The general consensus on the board is that it is too bland and basic and defenses key in on it. 

I think it's complicated because there are a million options the receivers can take on their routes depending on what the defense shows. The problem is that Allen and the WR have to see the same thing.

It's simple and predictable because we seem to just line up and go. No motion, no jet sweeps, no mixing it up with different types of running plays.

It requires perfection from the players to run well, which isn't reasonable.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Bottom line is these guys need to get back to basic football.  Dorsey wasn't getting the job done.  The QB isnt getting traded because he throws INTs.  Cook isnt getting traded because he fumbled the football. Kincaid isnt getting traded because he dropped a football. Diggs isnt getting traded because the media wants to stir drama.  They also can't just status quo every week.  Change needed to happen.  This isn't just about one week.

They are professional football players... People have been running run n shoot concepts for 30 years

College teams have it down to a science... It's not exactly brain surgery for NFL wide receivers to run option routes... We were well oiled machine running them with Beasley and diggs and John Brown

What we are is a sloppy offense and that all comes down to coaching

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I think it's complicated because there are a million options the receivers can take on their routes depending on what the defense shows. The problem is that Allen and the WR have to see the same thing.

It's simple and predictable because we seem to just line up and go. No motion, no jet sweeps, no mixing it up with different types of running plays.

Do we think Joe Brady will run a different offense? How is he expected to put something like that into place? Or do we just fly by the seat of our pants for two weeks and work it out in the bye?

5 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Sounds like dorsey was afraid to upset Josh.  If so tough ****  Josh needs a foot in his butt with how crappy he has been playing.  Davol was on him hard.

Hell maybe thats part of the problem. Maybe Josh needs to toughen up.  Hell  who knows anymore

What a leap in logic. There was nothing said to indicate that at all. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, What a Tuel said:

Do we think Joe Brady will run a different offense? How is he expected to put something like that into place? Or do we just fly by the seat of our pants for two weeks and work it out in the bye?

I don't think it is likely he will run a different offense. My guess is he picks the simplest subset of the offense and run that. A "back to basics" sort of thing. Maybe during the bye week he can come up with some of his own wrinkle.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah kinda what I said in the beginning.  Its the coaches job to get these guys to execute and he has had a year and a half to do so.  It aint working.  Time for change. Unfortunately, its late in the year to change anything significant.  All they can really do at this point is put together a package of stuff they work well at.  This year is shot.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Unlikely (per every talking head in Buffalo) - he'll have to work with what we have.  He might be able to put a couple new things in during the bye, but not like they're going to launch into some totally different offense.  Hopefully just HOW he calls the game will be better... :beer: 

15 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

It's kind of like Rex Ryan's defense.  The players have a ton of options, and they have to all pick the right one (and the same right one) in a fraction of a second.  Nobody can make that many decisions that quickly.  That's why you see option routes where the QB expects the receiver to go deep and the receiver cuts it short.

If everybody makes the same right decision every time, it's unstoppable.  If any one player makes the wrong decision, or takes too long making the right decision, the play blows up and it's over.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What?

What what?  You think it's a coincidence that McD appointed a first time ever OC from within, with no experience or success in the league?  He wants to be able to control.  

We're replacing one stooge with another; not much gonna change.

3 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

What a leap in logic. There was nothing said to indicate that at all. 

There is. Dorsey was Josh's pick for OC. They had a buddy to buddy relationship and not a mentor relationship he had with Daboll. Josh has played like crap. Is it him or the scheme. Now that the year is shot, time to find out.

• Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Dorsey was appointed OC in the first place for this day...to be a human shield to keep McDermott in his job a little longer if/when things don't go well.

A cynical move that won't fix our problems....

But it might hasten McD's demise.

He was appointed to be a human shield….. you’ve said some stupid things, but never something this stupid.  

He didn’t want to hire a good OC that could help him win a SB which could have given him a lifetime contract….. he wanted to hire a lesser OC so he could fire him and keep his job for an extra season or 2.  Got it.  👌 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It also shows a bad form of negative complimentary football between the O & D.  Part of that differential is the D allowing the other team to score 1st quarter points.  Remember Cincinnati, LV & NE.

Sure, but if your offense can't come out early and put something together it is a drain emotionally. Thoughts like "why have we been practicing this stuff all week if it's not going to work on Sunday" type thoughts. That erodes confidence in the coaches. That can be overcome but you're just digging out of a deeper hole. I wouldn't mind seeing where our first quarter time of position sits compared to the rest of the league.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What what?  You think it's a coincidence that McD appointed a first time ever OC from within, with no experience or success in the league?  He wants to be able to control.  

Yeah we think it’s a coincidence that he hired Joshs QB coach who was always the heir apparent to Daboll…..

Michael J Fox Hello GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ok...

I can buy that, but 12 men on the field and poor decisions on defense?

It's McD's operation and this firing bought him some time, but the sloppy in the margins was not just on Offense.

I say that, and I am not a McD hater or anything. I just try to look at accountability objectively.

His seat at OBD is getting  warm too.

Edited by WideNine

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Even if McD hired someone outside of the organization, he will still be in charge as the HC, and free to fire the person if things went awry. Not sure internal vs external matters here.

7 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

There is. Dorsey was Josh's pick for OC. They had a buddy to buddy relationship and not a mentor relationship he had with Daboll. Josh has played like crap. Is it him or the scheme. Now that the year is shot, time to find out.

This is conjecture and completely unrelated to the original comment from McDermott.

Maybe it’s true(I doubt it) but how you arrived there doesn’t make sense. 

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Ok...

I can buy that, but 12 men on the field and poor decisions on defense?

It's McD's operation and this firing bought him some time, but the sloppy in the margins was not just on Offense.

I say that, and I am not a McD hater or anything. I just try to look at accountability objectively.

His seat at OBD is getting  warm too.

I agree...I think it still goes back to McD trying to do too much with the DC role and now it's effecting his ability to manage other areas and those are degrading in his absence.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They are professional football players... People have been running run n shoot concepts for 30 years

College teams have it down to a science... It's not exactly brain surgery for NFL wide receivers to run option routes... We were well oiled machine running them with Beasley and diggs and John Brown

if these players aren’t taking some ownership of Dorsey getting fired - most certainly including one Josh Allen - then the whole lot of them need to be shipped off to Siberia

Dorsey installed his own offense the last two seasons.  Last year may have been a more vanilla version to get the players used to it and learn his concepts.  Started to add wrinkles this year to make it more complicated on the defense, but in reality it is more complicated on the offense.

Makes sense there are  maybe more multiple reads on a play as evidence of the increased number of plays Josh and his receiver are not “on the same page”.  Davis and him have been off all year.  That’s something a coordinator should see and adjust to.  If not…well we know what happens.

5 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Why get a 5'6 WR... if you aren't going to ever use him in the capacity he was signed for.  I'm not saying give him a starting job or something either.  He's quick and shifty, and we send him deep iso on a 3x1.  Better yet - Josh can lock onto him pre-snap and throw it anyway. 

He should be sprinting across the formation several times a game.  Even if its just eye candy, eye candy can screw up run fits, create gaps in zones, etc.  3rd and mediums... gives you an outlet with a decent chance to break a tackle.  Etc.  

Why sign this guy if you don't plan to use him in the slightest?  If you wanted to throw corner fades why sign him?  Sign Chark or pay D-hop?  If you wanted a conventional slot player, why not Thielen or meyers?  Flat out speed?  Campbell hardman, or berrios.  All these dudes are available and we get a guy with no plans to use him.  Just going to pay this guy way more than mckenzie to do even less somehow.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

The anti-Josh posting on here is mind-boggling isn't it?

Just a lot of people who like "hot takes" and trying to be the first to jump off a bridge so they can say "they were right" 3 years down the line.  Kinda idiotic if you ask me, but whatever floats their boat I guess.

20 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

As Orlovsky said on his one breakdown that was posted "What is the purpose of motioning a player if you aren't going to use any of the information you get from it in regards to the play?  This is just motion just to motion without accomplishing anything and running the same play that was called."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

46 pages deep. Can I assume:

1) since every other post in the GDTs as of late have been “FIRE DORSEY” that 50% at least are happy with this move; and 

2) since mcclappy mc*****face was the one responsible for last nights debacle, the other 50ish% want him gone instead or along with Dorsey?

decent summary? Or did I miss something? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.