Josh Allen Fined for the Taunting Penalty

Scott7975

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen has been fined $10,927 for taunting during his team’s loss to the Cincinnati Bengals last Sunday, via Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk.

Allen pointed at a Bengals player as he was punching in a rushing touchdown to tie the score in the first quarter. He was hit with a 15-yard penalty for the incident. The signal-caller went 26-for-38 with 258 yards, a touchdown and an interception through the air while carrying the ball eight times for 44 yards.

Cincinnati ultimately won the game by a score of 24-18.

Allen’s fine is peculiar, considering other players received lesser penalties for unnecessary roughness fouls. The fact that he was fined more for pointing at someone than other players were for plays that could have caused injury is certainly strange, to say the least.

Then again, the NFL has been widely criticized for quite some time now for the way it hands out penalties and fines, so the weird variance shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-josh-allen-fined-for-taunting-during-bengals-loss/ar-AA1jMnwe?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=72356b63b82c4d3a8525dd5d101d9ca6&ei=47

Such a joke

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I mean that makes sense.   Double what the cheap shot was that caused Hyde to be out this week.  ***** this league 

I understand many are upset about it. My guess similar to the NHL they have a limit on how much a player can be fined 

A lot of people seem to think the NFL just dishes out fines without them making sense. And it does appear that way. But there's a schedule they follow that's all agreed to in the CBA. And that's why sometimes some fines which seem for worse offenses are for less money.

The agreed to amount for the first offense for taunting is $10,000. Then all fines are increased by a certain percentage each year of the CBA. So this year the first offense taunting fine is $10,927. That's where Josh's fine amount comes from.

So okay, we look at that and say, hey last week Adam Gotsis from Jacksonville was only fined $7,167 for roughing the passer. That just seems stupid. The NFL is whack we say.

Well, there's a reason for it. The first offense fine for roughing the passer is $15,000. That's $5,000 more than the taunting penalty - and most would agree rightly so. So how come Gotsis was only fined $7,167? Well, the CBA also has other stipulations that recognize the fact that some players make a lot more money than others. So they have a caveat at the bottom of the schedule for fines that says, "No first offense may result in the imposition of a baseline fine in excess of 10% of a player’s Salary Cap Count for the game."

So there you have it. Gotsis's more egregious foul is reduced to less of a fine than Josh's because Gotsis's salary cap for the season is $1,315,000. Divided by 18 weeks that makes his salary cap figure for the game $73,055. This is using Spotrac, so it's likely not exact. But you get the idea. Using the parameters agreed to by the NFL and the NFLPA, Gotsis's fine is only$7,167 - the maximum 10% of his weekly salary cap figure.

Is this how it should be? Debatable I suppose. Is it fair? Again, debatable. But it is the way it's supposed to be according to the agreed upon rules. The point being, the league doesn't just pull numbers out of its hat willy nilly when imposing fines - regardless of what many people (including the original article author from NFL Analysis Network) seem to think.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 10

47 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Getting fined for taunting in a game where you ultimately got beat down is amusing and probably indicative of the actual problem.

Yes, a six point “beat down.”  Where numerous missed or bogus calls could have affected the outcome.  But hey, they got the taunting call…

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

How do you attribute Josh’s behavior to the coaches versus his own instincts and actions on the play?  If your kid does something to get in trouble, is it automatically the parents’ fault?

Yes, it has been generally acknowledged FOREVER that when players do unnecessary, “dumb” fouls, it is a reflection of bad coaching….often referred to as a “poorly disciplined” team. If you’ve been a fan of pro sports for any length of time, I’m certain that you’ve heard the latter phrases articulated by pundits and observers (in all sports, not just football).

The parent/child example you cite actually supports my view, as it has been shown time and again, in many studies & surveys, that children who are brought up with little or no discipline imposed upon them by their parents (or their single parent) are more likely to end up in trouble/jail vs kids that had two parents who did impose rules AND enforce them.

Finally, being accused of being a troll just because I have an unpopular opinion is just laughable and nonsensical. I would agree that I’m not a prolific poster like many in here are, but I don’t “only pop up after a Bills’ loss.” However, there are MANY real trolls in here who display the LAMP technique often. You see the latter folks front & center after a Bills’ game, when they feel compelled to start their own post game thread, even though there is an established post game thread for everyone’s use. But their LAMP need is too strong, I guess.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This season 17s total $$$ is around 18.6 mil.

Conservatively let’s say he sees half of that (9 mil). An 11k fine would then roughly impact his finances similar to how a $60 ticket would effect someone who takes home 50k.

Regardless of how you feel about the call, I always find it bizarre how offended some people get that the millionaires must pay pocket change for on field incidents (one that he was completely in control of). 

Im sure Allen cares less about the fine than many fans

40 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Conservatively let’s say he sees half of that (9 mil). An 11k fine would then roughly impact his finances similar to how a $60 ticket would effect someone who takes home 50k.

Regardless of how you feel about the call, I always find it bizarre how offended some people get that the millionaires must pay pocket change for on field incidents (one that he was completely in control of). 

Actually, no.

A person making 50k a year needs that 60 dollars a hell of a lot more than the guy making 9 million a year needs that 11k because I guarantee you the man making 50k a year is spending up to what he makes to make ends meet where the guy making 9 million isn’t.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

Yes, it has been generally acknowledged FOREVER that when players do unnecessary, “dumb” fouls, it is a reflection of bad coaching….often referred to as a “poorly disciplined” team. If you’ve been a fan of pro sports for any length of time, I’m certain that you’ve heard the latter phrases articulated by pundits and observers (in all sports, not just football).

The parent/child example you cite actually supports my view, as it has been shown time and again, in many studies & surveys, that children who are brought up with little or no discipline imposed upon them by their parents (or their single parent) are more likely to end up in trouble/jail vs kids that had two parents who did impose rules AND enforce them.

Finally, being accused of being a troll just because I have an unpopular opinion is just laughable and nonsensical. I would agree that I’m not a prolific poster like many in here are, but I don’t “only pop up after a Bills’ loss.” However, there are MANY real trolls in here who display the LAMP technique often. You see the latter folks front & center after a Bills’ game, when they feel compelled to start their own post game thread, even though there is an established post game thread for everyone’s use. But their LAMP need is too strong, I guess.

First, it wasn’t me that accused you

of being a troll.  I appreciate that you’ve defended your position, some of the trolls don’t even offer that much.

With regards to team discipline or parenting, I agree that a result of a poorly coached team can be consistent, dumb penalties.  But, even when a coach or parent has done a great job trying to instill discipline, the players and kids can still do things they shouldn’t.  

As someone who has played and watched sports FOREVER, there are a lot of factors that go into all of this and Josh pointing at another defender is just one incident.  If the player were some borderline starter, maybe McD can discipline that player by putting them on the bench next series.  A lot harder to do that with their star QB though, so maybe there’s other ways McD needs to handle that.  At least in this case, Josh didn’t do it again the rest of the game, so as to not get kicked out.  

I’ll be surprised if he does it again this season.  If he does, do you think it will be because the coaches haven’t told him not to, or because he’s Josh and either deciding to do his own thing or his instincts take over?

Did Allen actually acknowledge that what we did was taunting? My first thought when I watched that play was that Allen was pointing at the defender to confuse him for a split second in order to make it to the endzone untouched. What would he have been fined if he gave him a middle finger? or open palmed him ? waved bye bye? This league and its officiating arent just incompetent, they are really, really dumb.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Allen pointed at a Bengals player as he was punching in a rushing touchdown to tie the score in the first quarter. He was hit with a 15-yard penalty for the incident. The signal-caller went 26-for-38 with 258 yards, a touchdown and an interception through the air while carrying the ball eight times for 44 yards.

Cincinnati ultimately won the game by a score of 24-18.

I wonder how much he would have been fined giving experimental New York Salute to Roger Goodell in owner's box?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

You guys are getting me to a point to start watching the Office.  I’m probably the last guy on the planet to see it.  My eldest son has it as his favorite show.

Only part of The Office are snips automatically played on sites which you have no control over. 

Some sites I use a browser with video disables since some of the automatic videos (snips and ads) become so annoying.

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Totally agree with what you're saying, but the fact that Taylor-Britt didn't get fined for his outrageously dangerous slide tackle exemplifies either a broken system or extreme bias in the execution of the system.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The refs are the ones that need to be fined for making such a BS call in the first place i think that was the first time in NFL history that that particularly ignorant decision on a call was made in a actual game ...

And the NFL hasn't made a reply on just how stupid it was as to not draw more attention to it !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, MPT said:

Totally agree with what you're saying, but the fact that Taylor-Britt didn't get fined for his outrageously dangerous slide tackle exemplifies either a broken system or extreme bias in the execution of the system.

That slide tackle probably gets a straight red card in a footy match. All Kincaid needed to do was flop to the ground and roll around like he was shot. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.