Dalton Kincaid catches everything.

Rigotz

Out of curiosity, I pulled up Reception leaders this year at the Tight End position vs Targets.

The numbers match the eye test. It looks like this:

1. T.J. Hockenson 60 Receptions on 80 Targets -- 75%

2. Travis Kelce 57 Receptions on 72 Targets -- 79%

3. Evan Engram 51 Receptions on 61 Targets -- 84%

4. Sam LaPorta 43 Receptions on 59 Targets -- 73%

5. Mark Andrews 41 Receptions on 55 Targets -- 75%

6. Cole Kmet 41 Receptions on 50 Targets -- 82%

7. Dalton Kincaid 40 Receptions on 45 Targets -- 89%

8. Dallas Goedert 38 Receptions on 52 Targets -- 73%

9. Darren Waller 36 Receptions on 51 Targets -- 71%

10. Jonnu Smith 34 Receptions on 42 Targets -- 81% 

Very happy that we're feeding him and we should continue to, because his reception rate is best in the entire position.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 11

Now we just need him to stop trying to dive over every defender in his path. I appreciate the extra effort but getting himself upended like in the cinci game is going to result in more fumbles. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 8

Also exciting to note, as I was researching this statistic.

All time rookie record for receptions:

#1) 81 receptions -- Keith Jackson in 1988

#2) 74 receptions -- Jeremy Shockey in 2022

#3) 68 receptions -- Kyle Pitts in 2021

#4) 64 receptions -- Evan Engram in 2017

At the halfway point of the season, Kincaid is on pace to break the record.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

5 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Out of curiosity, I pulled up Reception leaders this year at the Tight End position vs Targets.

Very happy that we're feeding him and we should continue to, because his reception rate is best in the entire position.

He's a really good player. It's pretty obvious by now. Great pick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Also, I believe the Buffalo Bills team record for rookie receptions is 65 by Sammy Watkins. He should obliterate that if healthy 

8 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It's going to look a lot different too.  

I think he's going to continue being featured like he has the last few weeks.

I think he could get to 1,000 yards.  He's at 339 yards now and the first few weeks, he was getting very little in the yardage department.

He would need to average 82 yards receiving in the last 8.  I think he can do it.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Unfortunately when Knox returns it is likely 4-5 of Kincade’s targets will go to Knox 🤦‍♂️

I don't think this happens.  Kincaid will establish himself as the #2 guy behind Diggs.  Kincaid will pull balls away from Diggs, Shakir and Davis...but Diggs still the most targeted.  

Knox will get his 2-3 a game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think Kincaid had his first drop Sunday night, on a 95 mph fastball from Josh in the first quarter.  I'd also like to see us mix in some more downfield throws to him...but yeah, one of the few bright spots on offense this year.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, MPL said:

Now we just need him to stop trying to dive over every defender in his path. I appreciate the extra effort but getting himself upended like in the cinci game is going to result in more fumbles. 

Considering our line is getting moved in the run game, and beat up in the passing game... it's really one of our only routes to physicality.  You can maybe use murray/fournette on some plays, but I do think in the same way running the ball is tough on DBs, tackling huge tight ends is also a way to beat those DBs up a bit.  

32 minutes ago, MPL said:

That was a fluke. The defender punched the ball out perfectly. Just a good defensive play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

🤔

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Considering our line is getting moved in the run game, and beat up in the passing game... it's really one of our only routes to physicality.  You can maybe use murray/fournette on some plays, but I do think in the same way running the ball is tough on DBs, tackling huge tight ends is also a way to beat those DBs up a bit.  

He already had the first down when he tried diving over the guy. Would have been a first regardless. Rookie mistake but he'll be fine.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

That was a fluke. The defender punched the ball out perfectly. Just a good defensive play.

I don't disagree. All I'm saying is that it was easier for the defender to make that play because Dalton was head-over-heels with one hand on the ball. I'm not saying stop trying to get the extra yards, but have a little more situational awareness to know when ball security is more important than a few extra yards. 

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, juno999 said:

Kincaid is a very strong addition to the offense.  Hopefully Beane will a draft a WR early this upcoming draft.

It's a pretty stacked WR class at the top, lots of guys in the 6'2"-6'4" 200-220 lb range with long speed, burst, change of direction ability, and hands. Reminds me of the 2014 draft a bit. Gotta grab one! Boom easy Gabe upgrade. Then go RT next and draft another receiver later as Shakir insurance & a Harty/Sherfield uprade. It's so easy a baby could do it!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

Was a fluke and honestly lucky as hell based on the timing of the play and how the ball was knocked out.  You can run that exact same sequence 100 times and the defender never gets a hand in there like that 99% of the time. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Agree 4

47 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

He’s going to need to catch up to LaPorta though too, although given his recent emergence in this offense, thinking Kincaid will pull that off.

15 minutes ago, MPL said:

I don't disagree. All I'm saying is that it was easier for the defender to make that play because Dalton was head-over-heels with one hand on the ball. I'm not saying stop trying to get the extra yards, but have a little more situational awareness to know when ball security is more important than a few extra yards. 

Yeah, and it did have a big impact on our game, potentially costing us it. We had the momentum and if we had scored, who knows how Cincy would have responded.

10 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

It's a pretty stacked WR class at the top, lots of guys in the 6'2"-6'4" 200-220 lb range with long speed, burst, change of direction ability, and hands. Reminds me of the 2014 draft a bit. Gotta grab one! Boom easy Gabe upgrade. Then go RT next and draft another receiver later as Shakir insurance & a Harty/Sherfield uprade. It's so easy a baby could do it!

I was thinking OT too.  Both Dawkins and Brown will be free agents after 2024 season.  I don't believe Bills will re-sign both and will want to upgrade one of them.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, chongli said:
22 minutes ago, MPL said:

Yeah, and it did have a big impact on our game, potentially costing us it. We had the momentum and if we had scored, who knows how Cincy would have responded.

In that moment, Dalton Kincaid was a brick and as Chongli will tell you, "brick no hit back." 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Kincaid has great hands, but this is a useless stat as it doesn’t factor in off target throws by the QB.  

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, racketmaster said:

Unfortunately when Knox returns it is likely 4-5 of Kincade’s targets will go to Knox 🤦‍♂️

I'm okay with 4-5 going to Knox if Kincaids overall targets go up.  Knox is a better blocking, short yard TE and Kincaid should be used more as a big slot.  

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

If he stays close to his current pace, he may shatter it.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Officially our #2 target or should continue to be. Dude is elite and a matchup nightmare 

Maybe the Knox injury was a blessing in disguise and when he's back we're more explosive in 2 TE 

I’d like to see Dorsey incorporate those spread formations and RPOs with 12 personnel once Knox gets back. The threat of a TE and Diggs stacked for a screen or 2 TEs on one side blocking downfield for a swing pass to a RB could be a nice wrinkle that causes some hesitation and leads to a big gain. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.