Say you're Brandon Beane: what do you do with these three contracts?

Pine Barrens Mafia

Forget about these guys who's contracts  have become complete albatrosses to the franchise. What do you do with the next albatrosses..... The Russeau and Epenesa contracts? Both have about 3-4 decent flash games a year, then totally dissapear from the stat sheet when needed the most. (Like now). Both their overall 4 year stats are totally unimpressive. Beane has also put the franchise in a bind by over-valueing these two. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

No one's taking on Knox's contract for the mediocre play and give us a Draft pick for it. Even if we eat a bunch of the salary, the return that we would get would be less than a 4th. And in that case, we might as well keep him as TE2 and be rid of him after 1 more year.

I think with the way Knox has performed the past couple seasons, most teams would rather spend a Mid Round Pick to get a guy who has the potential to be better than him and have him under a cheaper Rookie deal for 4 years.

Both of them have an out after 2024. Before then, you're paying big money to not have them on the roster. Might as well keep them for 1 more season and have them be situational or backups and then be rid of them after that.

Miller has a 32.5 Million Dead Cap hit to release him after this season. He's also 1 of only 2 DE's we have under contract and 1 of 3 D-Lineman period who are under contract.

So why would we take that down to 1 DE and 2 DL total and pay money to do so? Even if you think he's washed, you keep him as a situational guy like Bruce later in his career.

Getting rid of them just for the sake of getting rid of them and putting us in a deeper hole to do so makes no sense. Ride it out for 1 more year and if neither are performing well, just don't feature them. In Knox's case, put him behind Kincaid. In Miller's case, if he never returns to form, put him behind Rousseau and (hopefully if we can re-sign him) Floyd.

Agreed. The only way Tre is back is if we release him and he comes back under a new contract. There isn't a restructure that can be done to his current deal that would make the gamble that he is at this point worth not freeing yourself of that deal.

I personally don't care what we do with Von. I don't think he's washed, I think he's going through the motions and collecting a paycheck. Which is the problem I have with him. But if he actually decides he wants to play and play well, I'm all for keeping him. I didn't even look up his contract situation. I just gave my opinion 

Edited by Buffalo03

7 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Von Miller

Tre White

Dawson Knox

In my eyes, you can do one of three things:

1) Ride them out, be mediocre because you don't have any cap space to work with, pray to God you get some kind of production out of them

2) Burn them all after this season, eat the same cap ***** sandwich and emerge in a much healthier place in 2025

3) Cut two of three of them, triage-style, still eat the cap ***** sandwich and be better off in 2025

Are there any other options out there? I'm happy to hear them.

Can't get out of Dawson Know contract until 2025, he'd have a 26M+ cap hit if we cut him now and 20M+ dead cap hit next year so it wouldn't save us anything and we'd be losing 6M on that deal.

We could get out of the Tre White contract next year, he'd have a dead cap hit of 10M+ but save us about 6.3M

Also we won't be able to get out of the Von Miller contract until 2025, He'd have a dead cap of 40M+ if we cut him now and, 32M+ next year but in 2025 it goes down to a dead cap hit of 15M+ and we'd save about 8.4M.

So our best bet is to get the most of both Miller and Knox until then and see where White is after the season.

• Like (+1) 2

Tre is gone.

See if Knox will take a pay cut, he’s just not worth the price, with Kincaid here, his value is even lower to us.

Von, better hope he gets it going, if not, I’d designate him a post June 1 cut and be done w it.  It’s basically a wash if you do it that way.  Sucks to already the mistake out.   He’s a glaring weakness that’s getting too many reps for us at this point. 

This roster needs a hard reset.

• Like (+1) 1

If Kincaid is your #1 going forward, Knox is still a very good #2 TE. Are you overpaying him? Sure, but any cap hit you take isn't going to be worth getting rid of him.  Miller and White...yeah, not sure what can be done there but it looks like they are basically going to be non-factors for this team going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

We'll have to see with Von. He is not good right now, but maybe he will get better as he gets further away from the injury. He might be really good next year. Pass rushers age better than most positions.

I believe Tre White will be gone. He was never explosive anyway, and I imagine he will have lost a step. It's a real shame.

Knox was playing hurt. He is a decent player. I imagine he'll be back next year.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Miller was always a 3 year contract we were locked into. Thats why I said the ACL injury was a killer. Took 2 years of Von away while eating a lot of cap. It was a killer injury.

Knox we’re also stuck with. Another killer contract if they can’t get 12 personnel to work.

White can be released next year with some savings.

We are stuck with Knox, but if we happen to change OCs maybe the next guy can install a 12 that works. 

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

No talk of Poyer and Hyde? They’ll only be a year older and slower next years.

Hyde’s contract will be up, so I presume this is it for him here.  Wouldn’t surprise me if Benford is the eventual FS for this team.  Poyer will have a year left on his deal, but he’s been a step slower each passing year.  Haven’t seen anyone else on this team yet that I’d like taking on the SS role.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

One will be replaced by Rapp, the other by a Day 1 or 2 pick. 

Not sure if I want them to re-sign Rapp.  Feel like I see him whiffing at a lot of tackles.

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Miller was always a 3 year contract we were locked into. Thats why I said the ACL injury was a killer. Took 2 years of Von away while eating a lot of cap. It was a killer injury.

Knox we’re also stuck with. Another killer contract if they can’t get 12 personnel to work.

White can be released next year with some savings.

I said it at the time--getting a 33 year old linebacker, not an offensive linemen or end, a linebacker, who was 33 years old and being payed HUGE guaranteed money was the worst mistake of Beane's tenure. (Now that has been replaced by bringing back Dorsey this year, a problem that he owns with every game, and every day, he lets this stand.)

Miller was a showy splash play that went against their philosophy.

Bills could have used that money for a top notch receiver or corner or edge rusher--but not one considerably past his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Von Miller

Tre White

Dawson Knox

1) Ride them out, be mediocre because you don't have any cap space to work with, pray to God you get some kind of production out of them

2) Burn them all after this season, eat the same cap ***** sandwich and emerge in a much healthier place in 2025

3) Cut two of three of them, triage-style, still eat the cap ***** sandwich and be better off in 2025

Eat all 3, it's time to purge the roster. Both Hyde and poyer need to go as well, and do NOT re-sign Gabe davis.

People are writing Von off.  He is 11 months out from an acl.   With his age and then injury he could be done but we don’t k is that yet.  

Tre is done with the bills. 

If you can find a trade partner for Knox you could move in with a post 6/1 but that spreads out the dead cap over two years.   

19 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

White is almost no brainer to cut.  It saves cap space.  Stuck with Miller and Knox for another year.  

So, logically, if they do cut White what is their replacement plan? Go after Jaylon Johnson on a similar contract as it was apparent from reports they were seriously interested in acquiring him during the trade deadline. 

If Sneed hits FA due to KC not offering him a new deal, which I doubt, you would like to think they make an attempt there also. SB winner, versatile in scheme and a gritty player. Win-win-win. 

21 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Tre White could be a great safety to replace Poyer/Hyde, with a serious restructure of his contract. 

Don't think Tre  is physical enough to play safety, and with an ACL and Achilles, probably not going to be as athletically gifted as he was.  Others on the board have suggested Douglas with his size may be a logical safety before long.  I think Hyde's injury yesterday means that Bills will be looking to replace both safeties.

On 11/7/2023 at 7:23 AM, BBFL said:

So, logically, if they do cut White what is their replacement plan? Go after Jaylon Johnson on a similar contract as it was apparent from reports they were seriously interested in acquiring him during the trade deadline. 

If Sneed hits FA due to KC not offering him a new deal, which I doubt, you would like to think they make an attempt there also. SB winner, versatile in scheme and a gritty player. Win-win-win. 

There's a really high chance that he does hit FA.  The Chiefs let Charvarious Ward walk two seasons ago because they couldn't afford to keep him, and Sneed is going to get a massive contract.  He's a top 10 CB in the league even though he never gets the recognition in the media.  He's very good in coverage, but he's elite in run support and blitzing from the slot.  Plus he can play the boundary reasonably well.

I'm not sure how the Chiefs will be able to afford him.  I guess it's possible that the league undervalues him as much as the media does and the massive offers don't come, but that's mostly wishful thinking on my part.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2023 at 1:13 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Von Miller

Tre White

Dawson Knox

Von Miller - TBD. He’s got this season to return to form. If he does, then he’s got another season here. If not, then I suck it up and designate him a 6/1 cut. (That’s the only reasonable way to do it at that time.)

Tre White - He’s a cut. Sorry, Tre. I love him as a player, but the odds of him returning to form and staying healthy are basically nil. He’d probably be a 6/1 designation as well (teams get 2). He’s got a roster bonus due just after the league year starts so it would be before then. 

Knox - Gotta ride this out. We need a TE who can play inline - which means blocking and catching the ball. We’ve got no one else who is capable at both so he stays. TEs who can do both reasonably well get paid well and that is what it is. (Kincaid is a big slot. Excellent receiver and horrible blocker so he isn’t a candidate for an inline role.)

Edited by BarleyNY

On 11/6/2023 at 3:25 PM, Gregthekeg said:

What happens if Von Miller retires? He talks about his legacy with the game and his pride in doing everything to help his team he can. If he sees that he is a shell of what he was, and it is hurting the team, and that is all everyone talks about this offseason, is there a chance he retires? 

If he does retire, how does that impact the cap? 

Since no one has answered you, unless I missed it, I checked online.  The source I found says that a retirement is treated the same as a cut from a cap perspective.  

Teams can ask for unearned signing bonus money back, but that doesn't affect the cap apparently.  He won't retire if it means giving money back.  He's finished as anything besides a role-player in rotation or as a depth player.  He'll be 35 next season.  

On 11/6/2023 at 3:38 PM, RiotAct said:

Geez, at this rate I’ll learn that we’re stuck with Von for the next decade before we can realistically cut him.  Lol

I guess that's what happens when you sign a player in decline at the age of 33 to a 6-year contract.  HUGE swing-and-a-miss by Beane.  He should not be let off the hook for that.  

On 11/6/2023 at 4:06 PM, mrags said:

all this means nothing if we have McDermott. Because if he’s here he will continue with his 19 man rotation at DL and Von will get his snaps 

LOL   I hear ya!!  

Thanks for the humor!!  It's humor that keeps us going in times such as these.  :) 

On 11/6/2023 at 4:23 PM, All_Pro_Bills said:

These contract decisions and cap issues are going to require Beane to hit on the draft in 2024.  Get that WR we lack, find a run stuffer DT, and identify a RT replacement for Brown to name a few needs.  Add in 2 new safeties and McDermott is going to be forced to do something he's not done which is start younger players out of necessity. 

Odds of that happening you think?  

What, the 7th time's the charm?  Beane should be on his knees thanking the football gods that Allen worked out, or both he and McD would have been gone after the 2019 season.  

Here's a list of Beane's draft picks otherwise from which to build a team around in his 6 drafts now.  

DL:  Oliver, AJE, Groot

LB:  Bernard, Williams

DB:  Johnson, Jackson, Benford, Elam

OL:  Brown, Torrence 

RB:  Cook

WR:  Davis, Shakir, Shorter 

TE:  Kincaid, Knox 

Imagine a team built around thatNot a winner.  Not even close.  That's the core of a perennial 5-12 team right there.  If even that.  

On 11/6/2023 at 4:36 PM, dpberr said:

Yes, he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table, but from Miller's perspective, negotiating a way out of Buffalo allows him to pick another team, or simply joining the team of his choice come November of the 2024 season for a playoff run.  

He won't retire.  I doubt he'd restructure if it meant losing money.  Remember, it's a business.  ... until a stadium needs to be built, then it's a community service, but otherwise, it's all business.  

On 11/7/2023 at 1:52 AM, Chaos said:

If we are burning down the roster, is it time to change coaches too? 

I actually look at it the other way, if we change coaches it is time to burn down the roster. Take as much of the cap pain in 2024 as possible, try and load up on capital and then go again in 2025.

I'd make the regime decision 1st and the roster decisions 2nd.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually look at it the other way, if we change coaches it is time to burn down the roster. Take as much of the cap pain in 2024 as possible, try and load up on capital and then go again in 2025.

Here's the thing, there's more than enough on offense to get a whole lot more out of it than we're getting right now.  

I don't know what our FA situation is offensively, I'l look in a moment, but Morse may be gone, Davis likely will be since he'll get more elsewhere than he'll be worth here, but I think that's about it.  

Draft an OT/C, maybe a RB in round 3, a WR, make a good FAcy move on offense, not a crazy expensive one, but to fill a gap, like McGovern did e.g., and I don't think we lose much of a beat.  

Defensively, do what we've done on offense, get some rentals or 1/2-year free agents until the offensive situation is more settled.  Joseph has played well in his first game, same for Douglas.  We'll see if they continue, but time to reverse the offseason trend of focusing on the D.  Put the emphasis on the O, get someone in here that knows how to optimize the offense, and see what happens. 

Here's the great thing about this situation, Allen & Co. aren't a long-term project.  They're ready, they simply need solid coaching/leadership and they're off and running.  NPI   If the new guys don't work out, swap 'em out again in two years.  This shouldn't be a world-class coaching challenge that McD's turned it into.  

Just looked, most of our FAs are on the defensive side.  None would cost much to resign.  

Hyde needs to be let-go or restructured.  

None of the FAs would be expensive to resign, I don't think, other than for Davis, who while he may not be "expensive" per se, he'll likely get more than we should be paying him elsewhere.  Whether he wants to take less to stay with Allen remains to be seen.  If they wanted to keep him they should have extended him by now.  

Am I missing any FAs?  

Morse isn't a FA, but he's also not playing at a particularly high level either, and he's old for a C.  His dead cap according to spotrac saves $8.5M.  He's not a major problem, and he's hanging on well given his age and concussion/injury history.  But we need to start looking for another C if Bates isn't the future there.  

Edited by PBF81

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Here's the thing, there's more than enough on offense to get a whole lot more out of it than we're getting right now.  

I don't know what our FA situation is offensively, I'l look in a moment, but Morse may be gone, Davis likely will be since he'll get more elsewhere than he'll be worth here, but I think that's about it.  

Draft an OT/C, maybe a RB in round 3, a WR, make a good FAcy move on offense, not a crazy expensive one, but to fill a gap, like McGovern did e.g., and I don't think we lose much of a beat.  

Defensively, do what we've done on offense, get some rentals or 1/2-year free agents until the offensive situation is more settled.  Joseph has played well in his first game, same for Douglas.  We'll see if they continue, but time to reverse the offseason trend of focusing on the D.  Put the emphasis on the O, get someone in here that knows how to optimize the offense, and see what happens. 

Here's the great thing about this situation, Allen & Co. aren't a long-term project.  They're ready, they simply need solid coaching/leadership and they're off and running.  NPI   If the new guys don't work out, swap 'em out again in two years.  This shouldn't be a world-class coaching challenge that McD's turned it into.  

Just looked, most of our FAs are on the defensive side.  None would cost much to resign.  

Hyde needs to be let-go or restructured.  

None of the FAs would be expensive to resign, I don't think, other than for Davis, who while he may not be "expensive" per se, he'll likely get more than we should be paying him elsewhere.  Whether he wants to take less to stay with Allen remains to be seen.  If they wanted to keep him they should have extended him by now.  

Am I missing any FAs?  

Morse isn't a FA, but he's also not playing at a particularly high level either, and he's old for a C.  His dead cap according to spotrac saves $8.5M.  He's not a major problem, and he's hanging on well given his age and concussion/injury history.  But we need to start looking for another C if Bates isn't the future there.  

Yea I don't agree. I think this roster is close to a re-set point in any event. I don't actually think "tear down" which might have been the term used earlier - there are enough solid players that a new regime could still be competitive day 1, but I think Poyer, Hyde, Morse, Von Miller and probably White are all major question marks after this year. Daquan Jones is a FA going into his age 33 year so you can probably add him too.

That is 6 vet leaders and 4 of them have been stalwarts of this regime. Then I'd say Diggs, Dawkins and possibly Milano depending how he returns all probably have 2 years left (Milano maybe 3 or 4 if he comes back to his best). That is basically the entire core of what has been around Josh his whole career. 

Now you can manage that transition slower or faster. My take is if you retain the HC and GM you do it more slowly over 3 to 4 years. If you change regime you do a bulk of it next spring and finish the job the following one. 

But regardless who is in charge next season there will be a transition to the second Josh Allen era in terms of his teammates over the next few years.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:19 PM, dorquemada said:

Knox?  I'd give him another year

The Knox contract really isn't a problem IMHO. At this point, Kincaid looks like he could be an elite level TE and should be TE1 without any debate unless he proves otherwise at some point. But, he's going to be on a rookie deal for the remainder of Knox's contract so the money being spent at the position in total probably isn't too bad. Knox hasn't been perfect, but he's been pretty good and does make plays. As a TE2, you can't ask for much better than Knox. We just shouldn't force 12 personnel. Run some 2 TE sets at a normal clip and get Knox in when it suits the situation, or as a backup when Kincaid can't go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't agree. I think this roster is close to a re-set point in any event. I don't actually think "tear down" which might have been the term used earlier - there are enough solid players that a new regime could still be competitive day 1, but I think Poyer, Hyde, Morse, Von Miller and probably White are all major question marks after this year. Daquan Jones is a FA going into his age 33 year so you can probably add him too.

Yeah, I figured you wouldn't.  :D   But everything that you mention above is on the defensive side.  Hence my comments.    

That is 6 vet leaders and 4 of them have been stalwarts of this regime. Then I'd say Diggs, Dawkins and possibly Milano depending how he returns all probably have 2 years left (Milano maybe 3 or 4 if he comes back to his best). That is basically the entire core of what has been around Josh his whole career. 

Milano, again, is defense, although I suspect he'll be fine.  

Diggs is signed through '27 and Dawkins has a year left, so at least for next season we're good.  Perhaps a restructure there, or an extension encompassing that ahead of time.  

Now you can manage that transition slower or faster. My take is if you retain the HC and GM you do it more slowly over 3 to 4 years. If you change regime you do a bulk of it next spring and finish the job the following one.  

That is a part of what the discussion about McBeane is about, implicitly.  They've had 7 and 6 seasons/drafts respectively, and we've essentially come full circle to where we were when they were hired, with significant cap issues hindering them.  Largely due to Beane's inabilities to draft the level of talent that's required to make the kind of impact that is required, elite players as you've called them.  

McD has now candidly admitted cluelessness in terms of what's wrong much more how to correct it.  AKA, can't fix what you don't understand is wrong.  

But regardless who is in charge next season there will be a transition to the second Josh Allen era in terms of his teammates over the next few years.

Well, that assumes that Dorsey is fired.  

Not sure I'd make that assumption given how McD operates.  

But to my point, the offense, and uncontested by you seemingly, simply needs someone that understands offense effectively to put it together and running on all cylinders instead of coughing and choking while moving.  It shouldn't take any kind of monumental effort by someone that understands offense, to do that, with essentially the same team that's on the field today.  

They get half a season to show significant progress, and a second season to optimize it.  

During that process, make sure you've got a GM that understands that and starts building around Allen instead of tinkering FFL style with the D.  

The D, as assessed by you above, is a sunk cost.  It's going to be the same regardless.  

So the only questions that remain, are ... 

A.  What are we going to do to support Allen and the O?  

B. Do we have the right people to do that?  After 7 seasons the answer to that is apparently a resounding 'no.'  

C.  Who best to do that?  

Then of course the catalyst to it all is Pegula, who should be heavily involved, since if this isn't corrected threatens to derail the ST/PSL sales process for the new stadium.  Asking fans from WNY to pay that kind of money for slop play/performance isn't the way to go there.  

We'll see what happens.  As always, none of have a vote in the matter.    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by PBF81

53 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Odds of that happening you think?  

What, the 7th time's the charm?  Beane should be on his knees thanking the football gods that Allen worked out, or both he and McD would have been gone after the 2019 season.  

Here's a list of Beane's draft picks otherwise from which to build a team around in his 6 drafts now.  

DL:  Oliver, AJE, Groot

LB:  Bernard, Williams

DB:  Johnson, Jackson, Benford, Elam

OL:  Brown, Torrence 

RB:  Cook

WR:  Davis, Shakir, Shorter 

TE:  Kincaid, Knox 

Imagine a team built around thatNot a winner.  Not even close.  That's the core of a perennial 5-12 team right there.  If even that. 

On another topic I suggested the FO's drafting record, absent the Josh Allen maneuvering and selection, is in the bottom 1/3 of the league.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

On another topic I suggested the FO's drafting record, absent the Josh Allen maneuvering and selection, is in the bottom 1/3 of the league.  

Yeah, I saw that!  

Completely agree.  In fact, I've been preaching that for several years now.  ... as no doubt you have as well.  

On 11/6/2023 at 1:16 PM, BuffaloRebound said:

White is almost no brainer to cut.  It saves cap space.  Stuck with Miller and Knox for another year.  

Give White camp next year to see how he does. Sadly, when he got hurt (achilles), he was only just beginning to look like his knee injury was behind him.

2 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Give White camp next year to see how he does. Sadly, when he got hurt (achilles), he was only just beginning to look like his knee injury was behind him.

Not going to be worth it. Even if he pulls off a miracle, he isnt going to be a $16M/yr CB.

If he wants to take a paycut and sign a new deal at like 3/$18M with a ton of incentives, then maybe. But we cant roll with $16M/yr.

• Agree 1

On 11/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, BuffaloRebound said:

Hate it but this is the best thing for the team . I feel Knox is still a good reliable TE that really doesn't like some of the other weapons this team has does]t get used correctly . Von will heal and still be a good player good enough for another season then after seeing where he gets to make the future decision from that input .

On 11/6/2023 at 12:37 PM, Billl said:

Tear it down, eat as much crap in 2024 as possible in terms of cap hits, and start the rebuild in 2025.  If McBeane had banked a championship already, they could have done it this year before the hole got too deep.  Because they didn’t have that luxury, they were forced to push in good money after bad in hopes of getting lucky and winning with a bad hand.  

True but things have changed quite a bit since then & not for the better as we know . They will get it figured out !! 

14 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I swear some of you want another 17 year playoff drought so you can complain endlessly and be miserable. 

Actually, judging from this place right now, we don't require a 17-year drought to be miserable. All it takes is a single 6-point loss to a really good team in their stadium. 

• Agree 1

Beane ***** the bed with the Knox and Miller contracts and now the Bills have to sleep in it for a couple years, he's not the genius many here make him out to be. 

Side note, he's also not the great drafter people make him out to be either. Getting Josh Allen was a big win and granted them job security, but the rest is not so impressive.  

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I saw that!  

Completely agree.  In fact, I've been preaching that for several years now.  ... as no doubt you have as well.  

Question to that point that All Pro made 

Was it the drafting or the Coaching?

Did Beane supply the players asked for ?

Were they not developed to their potential (Elam says hi )
I am not down on Beane as much McD at this point.

Some Coaches can make good use of what we have have drafted.

Beane also has done decently with FA.

That could be argued of course.

Miller might have killed him (in hindsight) though.

Like Mario Williams did to some degree.

But bottom four rating is how they performed of course.  Again i have to account for Coaching failing the players here as well.

Good posts to consider  here  thanks !

39 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Age and injuries on the defense may force the roster decisions. 

To an extent. But as I said to @PBF81 it is about the pace. Do you take a load of decisions at once or do you spread some of it out? 

You make the regime decision first. Then you consider the roster in that context. In any event the NFL calendar forces you to do it that way.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

You make the regime decision first.

So if you decide to change the coaches, or keep the coaches, how does that change the answer to the roster decisions as it relates to the over aged over paid over injuried defenders? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.