11/5/23 Week #9 SNF GAMEDAY Bills @ Bengals Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

Yet another prime time national television audience is on tap for tonight! We are indeed the television darlings of the NFL! Today will seem an especially long wait for us since 2 Thursdays ago and with the clocks turning back.. All day long it will seem we’re an hour closer to game time. Sunday Night in America against the Cincinnati Bengals! No hype needed for this one and no one needs be told the results of our last 2 games against them. To date, both squads have struggled to maintain a championship level of play, as injuries have taken its toll. Cincy appears to have overcome a sluggish start, while the Bills continue to compensate for injured players by trading for Tre White’s replacement and signing unemployed FA’s, all with SB Rings. Both teams NEED to win tonight to maintain their lofty aspirations as their combined Conference records are a paltry 2 - 6 while Jax, KC & Baltimore currently have a combined 16-4 W/L record -all with 4 Conference W’s each. Still a lot of games to play but there’s already definite separation among the AFC top teams and these 2 non-first place teams. 

There’s a rivalry growing here as both teams have become perennial playoff clubs, but Cincy outplayed us badly in January and they’ve become known for dirty/cheap play and running their mouths. They’re an easy team to dislike, though they boast a fantastic roster. Temps are expected to be in the mid/low 50’s and no precipitation currently. 

Cincy boasts arguably the finest WR trio in the game which allow Burrow to throw quickly anywhere. Mixing Mixon in with the run keeps teams off balance. Yet, for all the flash the Bengals show on Offense, their DC Lou Anarumo is very creative in his own rite. Their CBs will play Safety, Safety’s play LB as opponent specifics dictate. In short, they’re an exceptional team and appear finally ready to roll.

As for our Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde team, I .um.. have no idea which one will show up. 🤷‍♂️  Josh Allen does shine in the spotlight, though. Q-Morris returns from injury, so we’ll have 2 TE’s who can actually catch and we have 2 brand new starters on Defense in ‘RaSUUUUL’ Douglas & Linval Joseph. How much they’ll contribute is anybody’s guess, but they’re undeniably upgrades. More than space eating, Joseph should allow Von to be Von -or a closer facsimile thereof. Douglas may start as he appears to be White’s replacement. Getting in Burrows face will be paramount. What we can take to the bank is Allen will produce a couple TDs. He’s enjoying his finest season yet! But I don’t think that and a couple FGs will suffice tonight. We should be able to run, as Cincy ranks 30th against the run, surrendering over 5 yards per carry. Shakir looked very good last week and is developing into a true asset. We’ve come to expect a fine performance from Kincaid and of course Diggs. I just can’t figure out Davis, so I won’t try. Cook is sneaky effective, averaging 5 yards per carry and we’ll need that to continue. I’d be surprised if ‘Playoff Lenny’ is activated, but any Back who can catch, block and run with power is a welcome addition. 

I’ve come to expect a great game scheme from our ‘DC’, so the onus is on Dorsey to come up with one for the Offense. His job may lie in the balance.. 

Bengals took us out of our game early in the playoffs, so a fast start -WITH POINTS!- will be essential. The no huddle seems tailor-made for us under Allen, so it should continue. If it does, then we’ll have a lollapalooza of a game. Keep plenty of heart pills and liquor nearby!

Joe Marino chimes in

How big is this game? Playoff odds if we win 81% if we lose 50%

https://x.com/pff_bills/status/1720537611712749923?s=61&t=s-bkdDXJMtQhYqbJSiNmsQ

GO BILLS!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 11

Time to shine… this is what you play for, games like this. Cincy is a gOOD team, no doubt, but if we get after Burrow, and keep running the ball, and Joshua Allen, the greatest point guard of a QB in the NFL, starts to wheel and deal, I think we can blow them out. 

LET’S GO BILLS 

As James Brown said,

GET UP

GET ON UP

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think the Bills need to play a Bengals type game on offense-dunk and dunk all the way down the field. Eat up the clock, make the Bengals have to take chances. Josh has shown he is extremely effective with that short game.
It’s gonna be a tough game, but it won’t be one decided on the first 2 drives of the game. McDermott has shown repeatedly he knows how to adjust as the game goes. Think about that Miami game-after 2 drives everyone thought it was going to be a 50-49 game. Once he figured out how to adjust Miami did nothing the rest of the game. I think the same happens here 

• Agree 2

If you match the physical nature of the bengals you can beat them. They are designed on D to stop pass heavy offenses.  
They have a very hard time with teams who are downhill and in their face. 
Bengals should definitely be favored based up recent play…but this game is very winnable.

This really isn’t even a Josh Vs Joe game it’s more like who wins at the

line of scrimmage game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

GO BILLS!!!

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you match the physical nature of the bengals you can beat them. They are designed on D to stop pass heavy offenses.  
Bengals should definitely be favored based up recent play…but this game is very winnable.

line of scrimmage game. 

The game is won and lost in the trenches, it’s always been that way.

GO BILLS!!!

Gee Chaos, sorry to disappoint you, 😂

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Happy Game Day, TBD. We have an extra hour to be productive and to fret today. Call your momma and say "hello" this morning. Get the yard work done (before it gets dark at 5 O'clock). Prep a good chile and wings spread. And then sit back and watch our Bills smackdown the "Who Dey's" (what does that even mean?).  Who dey think they are?

Big game, Big win.

Let's go, Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon pinned this topic
1 minute ago, Charles Romes said:

NFLN scroll said Norman was signed to the active roster.  Does this mean Douglas is not playing tonight?  What possible advantage could there be to elevating Norman to the 53? We get a guaranteed number of call-ups from the practice squad and no one else is ever going to sign him. 

I don't know how much of a contribution Dogulas can make on special teams. He may need an offseason to learn the Bills defense.  Similar to the Nyheim Hines acquisition last year (only on offense). 

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

“Who Dey”. Dumb tiger

#1 a tiger N. America??

#2 theft phrase from Louisiana?

Fraud franchise with geography lessons for the OH/KY rednecks

It's embarrassing. "who dey?"

Ohioans don't have an accent or lack of ability to properly use the English language like the New Orleans crowd or other regions where dialects degrade the speech of ita inhabitants. "who dey" is a contrived derivative of urban slang and what is and has been destroying Cincinnati to make it one of Ohio's most dangerous and most concerning cities. The Cinci region from Middletown to across the border is plagued with issues that are shared with the entire Ohio river valley.

It is contrived and lazy tool for a franchise who has never been relevant due to poor management, ownership, and a suffering fanbase that can't even blame the rustbelt issues that Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo face.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, boyst said:

It is contrived and lazy tool for a franchise who has never been relevant due to poor management, ownership, and a suffering fanbase that can't even blame the rustbelt issues that Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo face.

They are not alone. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

NFLN scroll said Norman was signed to the active roster.  Does this mean Douglas is not playing tonight?  What possible advantage could there be to elevating Norman to the 53? We get a guaranteed number of call-ups from the practice squad and no one else is ever going to sign him. 

For all the jokes everyone (including me) made about Norman, that guy came in and blew someone up last week on kick coverage. How many mid 30 year old, former big name players would swallow their pride to go play STs like that. And then blow a guy up. I don’t really understand the plan but I respect him for doing that. And he was great at one point. If he can give us a play here or there, I’m good with it. I wish we called up Fournette but I’d expect nothing else from this team. We will probably just shelf him until it’s too late to even matter.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

Happy Game Day, TBD. We have an extra hour to be productive and to fret today. Call your momma and say "hello" this morning. Get the yard work done (before it gets dark at 5 O'clock). Prep a good chile and wings spread. And then sit back and watch our Bills smackdown the "Who Dey's" (what does that even mean?).  Who dey think they are?

Big game, Big win.

Let's go, Buffalo!

“Who dey” is French, sort of.. It was started by the Saints fans for their team. Like everything Cincinnati, they stole it.

• Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

“Who Dey”. Dumb tiger

#1 a tiger N. America??

#2 theft phrase from Louisiana?

Fraud franchise with geography lessons for the OH/KY rednecks

Pretty sure the Bengals were Who Dey before the Saints were Who Dat

1 hour ago, boyst said:

It's embarrassing. "who dey?"

Ohioans don't have an accent or lack of ability to properly use the English language like the New Orleans crowd or other regions where dialects degrade the speech of ita inhabitants. "who dey" is a contrived derivative of urban slang and what is and has been destroying Cincinnati to make it one of Ohio's most dangerous and most concerning cities. The Cinci region from Middletown to across the border is plagued with issues that are shared with the entire Ohio river valley.

A beer company started Who Dey

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

line of scrimmage game. 

Excited Jacksonville Jaguars GIF by DraftKings

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I don't know how much of a contribution Dogulas can make on special teams. He may need an offseason to learn the Bills defense.  Similar to the Nyheim Hines acquisition last year (only on offense). 

oh good grief 😂😂😂

Well played!

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

I don't know about NFLN, but the Bills PR Twitter says he was "elevated from the practice squad", which usually means the Bills are taking advantage of one of his 3 free elevations and he will revert back to the PS after the game.

I don't see anything anywhere else about signing him to the active roster.  The Bills website shows Rasul Douglas and Linval Joseph on the roster, and Norman on the practice squad. 

Douglas and Joseph took the spots opened by Knox and Elam going on IR, so the Bills would have to cut someone to sign Norman, and that hasn't been announced.

I think NFLN is maybe just using a shorthand or else, they got it wrong.

We don't know if Douglas is playing tonight.  My guess is that it depends upon Benford's hammy as well as how quickly he's vacuumed up the playbook.  It's possible the Bills elevated Norman as a precaution in case when it came to gametime, Benford couldn't go, but my guess is Douglas won't be active and Norman will be asked to back-fill Cam Lewis and Klein's ST snaps with Klein declared out and Lewis the primary backup CB.  But I think Norman was elevated primarily for ST.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

For all the jokes everyone (including me) made about Norman, that guy came in and blew someone up last week on kick coverage. How many mid 30 year old, former big name players would swallow their pride to go play STs like that. And then blow a guy up. I don’t really understand the plan but I respect him for doing that. And he was great at one point. If he can give us a play here or there, I’m good with it. I wish we called up Fournette but I’d expect nothing else from this team. We will probably just shelf him until it’s too late to even matter.

Agree on Norman.  Respect for his ST play last week.

"We will probably just shelf him until it's too late to even matter"

giphy.gif

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.