Bills sign DT Linval Joseph---Elam to IR

Process

1 hour ago, gjv said:

Why didn't we sign Joseph the week after the Jacksonville game?

Beane did say they've been talking to his agent for the last three weeks.  And he didn't say this, but I think they wanted to wait to see if anything else came free before the trade deadline.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The Thursday signing of him makes me wonder if we were in on Leonard Williams or another DT.   

I'm sure we at least had a discussion on Leonard Williams. Beane and Schoen are tight and Williams went for a lot for a guy who only has this season left on his contract. Imagine that was because there was competition for his services. Whether or not that was us and what we were offering if anything, who knows. But I guarantee you Schoen and Beane at least talked about it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It's weird to speculate - but the injuries on D just MAY make us a better team for a SB run later in the season.

That's provided that Milano or Jones or both return for the playoffs.  If that happens, and injuries going forward aren't too impactful - this team could be deep and scary once January comes around.

A pretty big if, but it's possible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

The OP mentioned Elam to IR. So I will ask here since the other Elam thread is receiving next to no traction.

1. When was Elam injured?

2. did that hamper his play this season  in your opinion, Or does he simply suck.

3. Can a player be added to the IR and NOT be injured?

**stirring the pot** @JakeFrommStateFarm

1) It was mentioned that he had "tweaked" his ankle earlier in the season, but he's been on the injury report the previous 2 weeks

2) No information on this point

3) No.  But since mid-season, most players are dealing with some kind of ding or tweak, almost any player can be added to IR with a genuine injury. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Imagine he’s not exactly cardio football shape! but putting a non moving cement wall in the middle with others Edge is a nice Beane workaround. McClappy is no genius but he won’t put the dude into coverage like Wrex!

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

No time on PS to get back in shape and learn playbook?

Play book and cardio:

”stand there and don’t let the little brown thing past you at goal line”

tush push…mmmm… not on his belly

Edited by Since1981

53 minutes ago, Success said:

It's weird to speculate - but the injuries on D just MAY make us a better team for a SB run later in the season.

That's provided that Milano or Jones or both return for the playoffs.  If that happens, and injuries going forward aren't too impactful - this team could be deep and scary once January comes around.

I was thinking the same thing.  Just need to take care of business before the new guys get fully up to speed

• Like (+1) 2

DaQuan Jones approves this message

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Hey he was pretty solid player wonder why he went unsigned probably just his age as he did play a lot for the eagles down the stretch last year 

From what I gather, teams have been making him offers, he didn't bite.

My opinion, he knows he doesn't have a full season in him, and it worked for him last year to sit home and wait until a contender came calling in November.

Hopefully it will work for him again.

PS he was signed by the Eagles on Nov 16, and started Nov 20 against Indy.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

My opinion, he knows he doesn't have a full season in him, and it worked for him last year to sit home and wait until a contender came calling in November.

Damn, he must really hate Elam!

• Haha (+1) 15

5 hours ago, par73 said:

Bills could have had him in the 2010 draft, but jumped on Torell Troup instead.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks for reminding us.  Ahh the drought. A littany of bad draft after bad draft.

It probably wouldn't have mattered because the Bills would have never re-signed him after his rookie contract ... the Bills under Russ Brandon and his minions never kept the really good players that they drafted. 

Edited by SoTier

Love this pick up, is huge and great shape , beane said he was squatting near 700 pounds, lets go !!

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think @HappyDays stated Suh and Ioanidis as potentials as well?

Is Ioannidis available, would totally love that guy? Id add all three and we could have an elite Dline again.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think he started the NFC championship game against the 49ers 

50 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

I love the way this fellow manages is managing his career. Last two seasons, only play after week eight and go to a serious contender with an area of need at a premium rate per game.

I concur- perfect signing for this team, and I totally like the way he's doing his career.  That said, I expect balls to the wall until we hit the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Love this pick up, is huge and great shape , beane said he was squatting near 700 pounds, lets go !!

Is Ioannidis available, would totally love that guy? Id add all three and we could have an elite Dline again.

That’s not going to happen
We lost one player really good offense of line we replace that player

• Eyeroll 1

Ted Washington clone anyone? 

Bill's defense didn't do well against the Patriot's rushing attack.

While that Buffalo defense is still #3 in points allowed and 13th in yards allowed.

Currently, Buffalo is 22nd in rushing yards allowed, and 31st in yards per rush attempt!!!!!! Allowing a 5.1 YPC AVG. Hopefully, this changes with the addition of the new big man! :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Because some older players have been waiting until mid-season to join a contender when they need help rather than being stuck on a crap team and having to go thru training camps and all the other stuff.  It's a win-win for both players and teams.  This seems to be a new phenomenon taking place over the past few years

It’s so smart. Half the wear/tear for double the price. It seems like it would penalize against bad team (BB drought). Interesting trend. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gjv said:

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

We may have been trying, he may have wanted more than Beane was willing to part with, or negotiating with several teams, or maybe Beane hoped Settle would step up

And/or also maybe it was always going to wait until the trade deadline to see what developed internally and leaguewide. Put feelers out there to the top street free agents to establish fallbacks, then navigate trade market opportunities and potential practice squad prospects, then, if necessary or more appealing, circle back to those wily vets in waiting. In this case, it might be best case?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Success said:

Bravo. The first original thought in 20 pages.

I've ruled out Milano's return but barring further injuries, if DaQuan returns the Bills will have an embarrassment of riches at DT.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Bravo. The first original thought in 20 pages.

I've ruled out Milano's return but barring further injuries, if DaQuan returns the Bills will have an embarrassment of riches at DT.

There is a day-old Facebook post from an account for "Matt Milano" with a picture of him on the field after a play, with the caption: "Soon💙"...

Edited by Richard Noggin

17 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

While that Buffalo defense is still #3 in points allowed and 13th in yards allowed.

Currently, Buffalo is 22nd in rushing yards allowed, and 31st in yards per rush attempt!!!!!! Allowing a 5.1 YPC AVG. Hopefully, this changes with the addition of the new big man! :thumbsup:

Interestingly, Cinci's defense is 30th in yards per rush against. Maybe we get a different game script than what we all expect

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

There is a day-old Facebook post from an account for "Matt Milano" with a picture of him on the field after a play, with the caption: "Soon💙"...

That's not Milano's account, it was created in July by a random fan

1 minute ago, Franco_92 said:

Interestingly, Cinci's defense is 30th in yards per rush against. Maybe we get a different game script than what we all expect

That's not Milano's account, it was created in July by a random fan

D'oh

(I was careful to not buy-in. but to share the material facts nonetheless)

Edited by Richard Noggin

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Seems to be a new strategy the last few years with older players where they wait until mid season and then sign with a contender to try and win a SB rather than go to a crap team for the whole year in FA.

Great job. You answered the question before it was asked. Hopefully no one will ask why he lingered on the free agent market for so long... 

13 hours ago, BRH said:

Well, I think he's one of those older dudes that seem to show up every November in search of a(nother) ring.  I'm fine with it.  Less wear and tear means he'll be fresher in January. Plus, you don't want to foreclose options and flexibility at the trade deadline. 

Yes... exactly. You also answered the question before it was asked. Good job.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Serious question: why is he available? 

... nothing personal but this is not a very good question.

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Because some older players have been waiting until mid-season to join a contender when they need help rather than being stuck on a crap team and having to go thru training camps and all the other stuff.  It's a win-win for both players and teams.  This seems to be a new phenomenon taking place over the past few years.

Exactly. This is why he was still available.

12 hours ago, wakingfane said:

Seems like a no brainer. He's probably already got plenty of money... Don't need the full year's salary. Don't need the wear and tear on the body. 

Obviously... to some of us but some people have comprehension problems... or simply would rather post than read... good job on you though.

12 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Because (exactly like last year) he's one of these guys who hates training camp and wants to sign later in the year to the highest bidder among the best teams.

Yes. True.

12 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

As stated by @uninja above.  His experience and reputation afforded him the right to sit back and wait, to see where he could make an impact, and go ring hunting. I for one, think he made the right choice.  

You're absolutely correct. A pretty simple concept. Hopefully no one persists in asking the stupid question.

12 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

Yep, he's 35 and an active father too. Good on him, he gets a longer offseason to be with his family, can avoid wear and tear and we get him fresh. Win-win.

Agreed. 

13 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

I can't believe Linval Joseph was just sitting around waiting to be signed. Didn't even realize!

Love the pickup but now I'm kinda pissed we've been rolling with the turnstiles at DT this whole time while he was out there, lol. 

This has already been painstakingly addressed by 7 posts before yours. You should read before you post.

11 hours ago, peterpan said:

Omg right?!!  We may have won two extra games with him and Suh on our DL.  

How is a contender, like the Bills, Settling for Pooa, when veteran all pros like Joseph and Suh are unsigned!?!?

Sigh... 

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Takes two to tango"  Sounds like Joseph has found his niche and a pretty sweet gig as a guy who gets signed in November, gets to skip camp and early season BS, only play 10 games, and still get paid millions of dollars.

These guys probably werent champing at the bit to sign anywhere until they found a team that really needed them.

Yes... thank you for understanding this exceedingly simple concept.

11 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Likely that they didn't want to attend camp and were happy to wait until a contender who needed a starting DT wanted them 

Thank you dear God...

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Because you can't sign a player in the offseason that only wants to join in the middle of the season?

Bless you... you restore my faith... 

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He does not want to deal with training camp and wants fewer games a year to have less impact on body.

Yes, thank you. I'm now convinced that no one will ask the stupid question as to why he wasn't signed earlier...

6 hours ago, gjv said:

Nothing personal but this is a really stupid ***** question.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Because he does not want to play full seasons.  Hard to sign players who do not want to play yet.

Forget it... you're wasting your good opinion on deaf ears... people who post first and read... never?

2 hours ago, wettlaufer said:

I love the way this fellow manages is managing his career. Last two seasons, only play after week eight and go to a serious contender with an area of need at a premium rate per game.

Yes!!!

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Seems like these old players just want to play half the season and its a way to extend their careers

You are correct Sir!!!

54 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

It’s so smart. Half the wear/tear for double the price. It seems like it would penalize against bad team (BB drought). Interesting trend. 

Thank you for a good take... maybe there is hope for this country.

Moral of the story (as always). READ... then only post if necessary.

Here's another idea... if you're not adding value... don't bother adding anything because you're part of the problem... this is the reason a 6 page thread turns into a 20 page quagmire of feces.

This has been a public service announcement.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Joseph is a big DT but Washington was in a different category.    He played close to 400,  was a little shorter with longer arms and bigger hands and a better athlete.  He was the perfect NT and the Bills lost their identity when they lost him.     Joseph was never in that category of difference maker but he was really good in his prime.   He's not that guy anymore but I think he'll like the Bills D and hopefully play a little better in the Bills D than he did last year for Philly.

44 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Another public service announcement... don't believe everything you read.

Sorry to be a dyck head. 🙃

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.