Bears CB Jaylon Johnson Requests to be Traded

ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

The Eagles have the best GM in the league.  I don't think it is debatable at this point.  Beane is a good GM that never wants to take that big swing at the deadline. 

I’m sure he’d love to take a swing. Everything has to make sense. I’m hoping he can make sense of it. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

He might believe that the season ended on that crap turf in London. But if he does nothing, I'm going to check out for a bit because it means that he punted on the season. And yes, Roseman is the best that there is. Also, there seems to be no salary cap for them. They just paid Hurts and they're adding salary midseason? I've been told by so many on this board that this is impossible. I don't want to hear it anymore.

But with Tre's injury and Elam being a bust, it isn't as if CB isn't a need for the future as well. 

That's why a trade for a young, proven stud like Johnson makes so much sense. It's not just an "all in" move, but a move that gets you a player you need moving forward anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

But they need a starting CB, and Whites situation means it’s a long term fix. Beane doesn’t like paying for rentals and that’s key here 

we will all know in just under an hour I hope Iam wrong, and I totally get what you are saying.

6 minutes ago, sven233 said:

The Eagles have the best GM in the league.  I don't think it is debatable at this point.  Beane is a good GM that never wants to take that big swing at the deadline. 

Just as a bit of perspective: Howie Roseman was absolutely reviled in Philadelphia in 2014 and 2015.

You got articles like this: https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/12/31/10693256/eagles-howie-roseman-tom-donahoe-general-manager-jeffrey-lourie-chip-kelly-fired-power-structure

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Yobogoya! said:

But with Tre's injury and Elam being a bust, it isn't as if CB isn't a need for the future as well. 

That's why a trade for a young, proven stud like Johnson makes so much sense. It's not just an "all in" move, but a move that gets you a player you need moving forward anyway. 

Depends on what he wants as a new contract extension.  If he wants best CB in the NFL money, I think you have to pass.  Can't let current situation force you into chasing players, that's how good teams become bad teams real quick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

He might believe that the season ended on that crap turf in London. But if he does nothing, I'm going to check out for a bit because it means that he punted on the season. And yes, Roseman is the best that there is. Also, there seems to be no salary cap for them. They just paid Hurts and they're adding salary midseason? I've been told by so many on this board that this is impossible. I don't want to hear it anymore.

Maybe he does believe that.  Heck, there's a big part of me that believed that, especially at the time.  But a lot of these teams making moves are making smart moves.  They are trading for players that will help them now that, even if they don't re-sign in the off season, might net them a comp pick that will basically be for the same compensation they are giving up now for the rental.  That's just smart business.

8 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

If the Eagles do this and extend him, I NEVER want to hear from a single poster on TBD anything about the salary cap. It doesn't seem to matter to them,.

The Eagles have a lot of space next year with some big extensions still yet to come. Also, Hurts is fairly cheap against the cap until 2026. 

As an aside, I think Hurts is a flawed passer/decision who got a huge payday because of his supporting cast. If he doesn't get a lot better by the time the bill comes due, I think the Eagles will struggle. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Mango said:

The Eagles have a lot of space next year with some big extensions still yet to come. Also, Hurts is fairly cheap against the cap until 2026. 

As an aside, I think Hurts is a flawed passer/decision who got a huge payday because of his supporting cast. If he doesn't get a lot better by the time the bill comes due, I think the Eagles will struggle. 

But if they win another Lombardi this year, does any of that matter?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Depends on what he wants as a new contract extension.  If he wants best CB in the NFL money, I think you have to pass.  Can't let current situation force you into chasing players, that's how good teams become bad teams real quick.

I mean I don't know about you, but no one would have to "force" me to trade for Johnson and pay him top-5 corner money. We've spent a lot more on a lot less. 

Consider the situation in 2021: we needed an edge rusher and Von Miller was available for a super bowl push. We could have traded for him, we passed. That very off-season, after he wins a ring with the Rams, we pay him an exorbitant contract ANYWAY. 

Maybe Johnson's agents are making unreasonable demands, I get there's a lot of factors for why this might not happen. But we gotta get a corner before next season and we either gotta pay up or draft high again. I'd rather have the proven commodity now, that's just me. 

Edited by Yobogoya!
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

see ya

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I'm sure the Bears would prefer to tag/extend JJ. But given Beane's draft record and the likely reality White is done as a Bill, I wouldn't be opposed to trading picks.

Yea, sad but it appears Tredavious is done with the Bills and possibly Football for a long time. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Just as a bit of perspective: Howie Roseman was absolutely reviled in Philadelphia in 2014 and 2015.

You got articles like this: https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/12/31/10693256/eagles-howie-roseman-tom-donahoe-general-manager-jeffrey-lourie-chip-kelly-fired-power-structure

Pepperidge Farms remembers

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Going to be funny when it’s announced that he’s been traded to the 49ers in a few minutes. 

Tim Kawakami

@timkawakami

NFL source: 49ers are closing in on another trade. I don't know who it's for, but it seems likely they've got 1 more.

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

Yea, sad but it appears Tredavious is done with the Bills and possibly Football for a long time. 

He really struggled the first time with his last injury and reading some of the reports were sad. I cannot imagine how much of a mental blow it is for him now. I don't think the Bills have a choice but to move on from him and that to me is hard... it's just terrible misfortune and I hope mentally he can recover.

Just now, Goin Breakdown said:

I know it's probably not smart, but I'd like to be stupid and just get some guys and freeking win one. 

People always say its not smart to make these moves, but the top-tier teams often do it.

Eagles are constantly trading lottery tickets (draft picks) for proven players. 

I love that model.

I’m not usually a trade for this guy! Trade for that one! Sort of person, but if Beane sits on his hands and does nothing, considering the injuries we have and the inevitability of a weaker roster once these contracts start escalating next year, I’ll lose all faith in him. It’s not like he’s a strong drafter anyway.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

I posted this in the chase young thread but lynch is putting on a master class the last few years. 

The masterstroke would be to not pay Purdy and just draft another one in a few years. It's like football moneyball. Find the value, and the value is not at QB.

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Just saw a tweet/X claiming we’ve traded for him. Elam & a 5th. Not posting it cuz I don’t know the source..

juss sayin.. been watching all day.

How many followers does the account have?  How long ago was it posted?  I haven't seen anything recently.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.