Giants Jets game - Daboll's call to attempt a FG

BillsIsrael

Was watching the end of the game and with 4th and 1 on Jets 19 - I know hindsight is 20-20 but even before I was surprised he didn't go for it - Barkley would get it over 50% of the time and then they milk the clock. Don't make it - the jets have to start at there own 19. I thought there chances were better than attempting a FG. I was saying it to anybody who would listen even before Gano missed.
Does that not make sense?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

16 minutes ago, BillsIsrael said:

Was watching the end of the game and with 4th and 1 on Jets 19 - I know hindsight is 20-20 but even before I was surprised he didn't go for it - Barkley would get it over 50% of the time and then they milk the clock. Don't make it - the jets have to start at there own 19. I thought there chances were better than attempting a FG. I was saying it to anybody who would listen even before Gano missed.

Barkley also made the mistake of giving himself up on a previous play in that drive where if he just continued forward might have got a first down to end it.  Gano missed a previous attempt.

But otherwise I thought Daboll's biggest mistake was the same thing McDermott did in week one.  Take the ball first in OT.  Right there I said to myself Jets will win.

Kick off into EZ.  Predictable.

Jets defense holds Goants to a 3 and out.  Predictable.

Punt from the 25.  Predictable.

And that was it.  Most llikely.

Rarely would a team not take the ball to start OT but if your offense has a 3rd string QB with negative net passing yards for the game it might make sense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

That is a FG that,should be made 100% of the time. That puts you up 6 with less than a minute to play. Gain a yard and you take a knee and run out the clock. I understand the idea of going for it. But the much higher percentage play is to kick the FG and go up by 6. 

Remember that Jets D line is excellent and they would be selling out to stop the run. If they give up a yard or a TD it wouldn't matter, they lose either way.  I didn't see how long of a yard it was but even a Allen/Hurts sneak there against that all out front would be difficult. 

Daboll made a good choice. His kicker failed him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Barkley also made the mistake of giving himself up on a previous play in that drive where if he just continued forward might have got a first down to end it.  Gano missed a previous attempt.

But otherwise I thought Daboll's biggest mistake was the same thing McDermott did in week one.  Take the ball first in OT.  Right there I said to myself Jets will win.

Rarely would a team not take the ball to start OT but if your offense has a 3rd string QB with negative net passing yards for the game it might make sense.

Bingo!!!👍

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Get Daboll back here .. Josh and McD love him … 

Josh yes but McD a big no. 

Daboll played not to lose yesterday.   Granted he had crap to work with at QB in the 2nd half, but how many weeks has he carried just Tyrod and DeVito at QB?   Thats on him.

He has absolutley no confidence in his football team.  Some of that is talent.  Some of that is them not being prepared well for situational football, again thats on him.   

Edited by thenorthremembers

I'm guessing he won't win coach of the year again.  In perfect weather conditions the field goal is the right choice.  I'm not sure how bad weather wise it was there but it looked bad.  Just go for it and if you miss it you still give your defense a further field to defend compared to a missed field goal.

BOTH of those teams were so cartoonishly inept, it made for an exciting finish! How one clown QB beat the Bills is beyond me. And don’t forget- the other was throwing into the End Zone to beat them on the final play of the game!

That is how mediocre Buffalo is!

That being said,bthat monster #1 Jets D was staggeringly foolish and stupid! They tried multiple times to give away that game with the most ill timed, ignorant and selfish Penalties, culminating in an encroachment when the Giants Punter was kicking from the End Zone! Wildly, out of control.

40 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I also can’t believe the crappy Jets are somehow winning with crappy Zack Wilson. 

Rex Ryan once got Mark Sanchez to consecutive AFC championship games off the strength of his defense, and this current Jets defense is arguably stronger than that one ever was. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

They had no shot if it went to overtime (giants)

knew it was over when he missed the field goal

devito was -1 yard passing 

• Like (+1) 1

Another killer play was the Offside play by Thibodeaux. That was the play where Wilson had a 30-yard completion to midfield, but the clock stopped with 17 seconds left because of the Offside. Shows you how dumb Wilson is for throwing it in the middle of the field and no timeouts. If he doesn't go Offside the Jets run out of time. 

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, BillsIsrael said:

In the rain, down a good chunk of you OL, down to QB3 and already showing you weren't going to throw. Against a really good front 7. Not the time to take that chance. That's exactly what you pay a kicker like Gano for. 

You try for the points and end the game. If you miss you depend on your defense that had been playing lights out up to the last 50 seconds of the game. FG was the right choice.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

BOTH of those teams were so cartoonishly inept, it made for an exciting finish! How one clown QB beat the Bills is beyond me. And don’t forget- the other was throwing into the End Zone to beat them on the final play of the game!

The Phins beat the Broncos and scored 70 points, those same Broncos that beat the Chiefs yesterday.

The 49ers crushed the Steelers and Cowboys and now have lost 3 in a row.

This season is a wild ride... most EVERYONE looks mediocre at times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

That being said,bthat monster #1 Jets D was staggeringly foolish and stupid! They tried multiple times to give away that game with the most ill timed, ignorant and selfish Penalties, culminating in an encroachment when the Giants Punter was kicking from the End Zone! Wildly, out of control.

The clown QB didn't beat the Bills. The Jets defense did. I hate when the Bills play them. Expect another low scoring game against them in OP. If they can keep Breece in check and Josh doesn't turn it over, then the Bills will win. The clown QB won't beat the Bills if he has to carry the load.

25 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

How come no one is talking about the 13 second esq drive to tie it.  For the love of god even with the missed field goal how do you give up that many yards in 20 seconds with no timeouts.

By committing an unforgivable penalty. The coaches have to drill into the players’ heads going into a situation like that that the only way the jets can tie it is if they commit a penalty. Jumping Offside there was so stupid. It’s ok to be a step behind the OT out of the gate if the clock doesn’t stop. 

Also, it was so fitting that the game basically ended on what I believe is the worst penalty rule in the league: the DPI call on the well-underthrown ball. It’s a penalty that rewards a bad athletic effort by the quarterback.

not going for the 4th down feels like the move that has turned the fan base and the media on Daboll.  That second half offense was one of the most cowardly things I have ever seen in the nfl.  Not even allowing a pass attempt after devito's first play.  Tommy Devito looked very good in the preseason, there was no reason not to even attempt to throw the ball.  

anyway, Daboll + Schoen have lost all the good faith they  had built up from last year.

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Another killer play was the Offside play by Thibodeaux. That was the play where Wilson had a 30-yard completion to midfield, but the clock stopped with 17 seconds left because of the Offside. Shows you how dumb Wilson is for throwing it in the middle of the field and no timeouts. If he doesn't go Offside the Jets run out of time. 

That Offside lost the game as much as the missed kick.  It’s amazing how dumb and undisciplined most NFL teams are including our own.  It’s no wonder hoodie dominated  the League for 20 years when he had Brady.  Dumb and undisciplined players aren’t welcome on his teams, but you do need talented players too as the past 3 years have shown.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

Barkley was ripping off runs on the second last drive in regulation with 4 minutes left. Brieda comes in and runs on 1st and 2nd down for minimal gain. They could have put the game away with a first down. Third down Barkley comes back in and is stopped for minimal gain. Punt. Why was Brieda in the game at that time?  

I don't know how you just don't try to end the game there. Jets had been trying to stop Barkley all day and he still was putting up good yards. I'd hand the ball off to him and try to end the game.  

That's one of those games the Bills used to lose all the time and it would be almost unfathomable as to how it was possible to put yourself in a position to lose.  Giants should have won that game easily, Jets were terrible.  I don't know if I have seen a team win uglier than the Jets do in a long long time on a consistent basis.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, TD716 said:

Barkley was ripping off runs on the second last drive in regulation with 4 minutes left. Brieda comes in and runs on 1st and 2nd down for minimal gain. They could have put the game away with a first down. Third down Barkley comes back in and is stopped for minimal gain. Punt. Why was Brieda in the game at that time?  

Barkley had started off the field after the run on first down but they waved him back on. He then ran on 2nd down and then came out. I think he signaled that he was gassed and needed a break.

2 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

It was a dumb decision period. The 3 points doesn’t give you a 7+ point lead so why kick it? You give the Jets a chance to return the kickoff for a TD and win the game. Go for it on 4th down with a chance to put the game away. 

Wrong!  If you're up 3 all the Jets need is a FG to tie.  If you're up 6 the Jets need a TD & play entirely different.  No team sits on a 3 point lead in the last minute with the ability to go up by 6. We'll maybe Staley goes for it on 4th, but no coach in his right mind does.  

Kicking the FG was the correct call.  Gano just choked.  If he made it, the Jets have to go 75 yards (I'd expect they'd kick a touchback) to win, with no TOs.

What was bad was taking the ball after winning the toss in OT.  Just really dumb.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

not going for the 4th down feels like the move that has turned the fan base and the media on Daboll.  That second half offense was one of the most cowardly things I have ever seen in the nfl.  Not even allowing a pass attempt after devito's first play.  Tommy Devito looked very good in the preseason, there was no reason not to even attempt to throw the ball.  

anyway, Daboll + Schoen have lost all the good faith they  had built up from last year.

I was at the game.  I could see every snap to him. Devito looked lost out there-no pocket awareness at all-much more likely to get sacked or make a mistake when pressured.  That's why Daboll was afraid to let him pass the ball,.  He looked good in preseason playing against 3rd stringers.  He looked bad against the Jets 1st teamers-huge difference.  

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I was at the game.  I could see every snap to him. Devito looked lost out there-no pocket awareness at all-much more likely to get sacked or make a mistake when pressured.  That's why Daboll was afraid to let him pass the ball,.  He looked good in preseason playing against 3rd stringers.  He looked bad against the Jets 1st teamers-huge difference.  

yea I am aware of the difference.  

There is no defense on earth that is so good you can attempt a pass.  There is no reason they could not try something short and quick, A slant, a dig or an arrow route that is basically three steps and throw it.  

I think there concern was pass protection and devito holding onto the ball.  Either way it was the most absurd thing ever and daboll is now going to be viewed differently in New York.  He is going to have to pull off a miracle win over Dallas or Philly to get back some of that good faith he had.

Edited by MikePJ76

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

yea I am aware of the difference.  

There is no defense on earth that is so good you can attempt a pass.  There is no reason they could not try something short and quick, A slant, a dig or an arrow route that is basically three steps and throw it.  

I think there concern was pass protection and devito holding onto the ball.  Either way it was the most absurd thing ever and daboll is not going to be viewed differently in New York.  He is going to have to pull off a miracle win over Dallas or Philly to get back some of that good faith he had.

The kid was totally lost out there.  Three steps & a throw with the way he was performing would be inviting interceptions.  I repeat-he was totally lost out there & Daboll knew that.  

Daboll was in a no win situation.  They have one of the league's best backups in Tyrod.  Most teams are dead meat if they have to go to their 3rd QB, especially a rookie on the practice squad.  When the game went to OT the Giants only hope was Saquon would break a long run.  By that point any decision he made was most likely to fail.  

This reminds me a bit of the situation McD faced with 13 seconds. Do you go for a kick short of the EZ to take a few seconds off the clock, risking a big return, or do you just take the touchback? 

The answer is it doesn't matter.

You have a 99% chance to win either way. 

Thibodo'h jumped offside, Zach Wilson made 2 great throws, the Jets got an ENORMOUS assist from the refs with 'spotting' the ball, and the rest as they say is history. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Wrong!  If you're up 3 all the Jets need is a FG to tie.  If you're up 6 the Jets need a TD & play entirely different.  No team sits on a 3 point lead in the last minute with the ability to go up by 6. We'll maybe Staley goes for it on 4th, but no coach in his right mind does.  

The problem is the FG doesn’t put the game away for you…..the 1st down does. I’m weighing my options and I’m saying kick a FG that can be potentially blocked or missed or even if it’s made I still have to kickoff vs getting 1 yard at their 19 yard line to end the game. I’m trying to get the 1st down 100 out of 100 times. Even if they stop you it’s still the same situation where they have the ball at the 19 yard line with no timeouts. Going for it made way more sense then kicking a FG.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, streetkings01 said:

The problem is the FG doesn’t put the game away for you…..the 1st down does. I’m weighing my options and I’m saying kick a FG that can be potentially blocked or missed or even if it’s made I still have to kickoff vs getting 1 yard at their 19 yard line to end the game. I’m trying to get the 1st down 100 out of 100 times. Even if they stop you it’s still the same situation where they have the ball at the 19 yard line with no timeouts. Going for it made way more sense then kicking a FG.

With the way that game was going the FG bagged it absent a miracle.  And, with the way the time worked out, Daboll made the right call.  It was a Giants win absent a successful heave to the end zone with one second left. 

The issue with Daboll and Schoen in that game, to me, is going in with a slight QB (Tyrod) and a backup you don’t trust to actually throw the football.  If they don’t trust DeVito, then Matt Barkley or another warm body should have been there.  That was malpractice, and it probably cost them a win.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The kid was totally lost out there.  Three steps & a throw with the way he was performing would be inviting interceptions.  I repeat-he was totally lost out there & Daboll knew that.  

Daboll was in a no win situation.  They have one of the league's best backups in Tyrod.  Most teams are dead meat if they have to go to their 3rd QB, especially a rookie on the practice squad.  When the game went to OT the Giants only hope was Saquon would break a long run.  By that point any decision he made was most likely to fail.  

ok then.

Calling tyrod taylor the best anything is just too much for me.  Enjoy your day.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.